PDA

View Full Version : Horses Stolen

Katy
05-Jun-08, 11:04
Hi Guys,
Just wanted to give all horsey people a word of warning and for everyone to keep there eyes open.
I don't know the whole story but just had a text message saying that horses have been stolen from Latheron and to make sure my ones are kept safe!
Lets keep our eyes open guys and don't let this happen again, lock all gates etc.
Katy x

stixie
05-Jun-08, 11:12
OMG, thats awful!!!!!!!!

I'm buying padlocks today!! Not that it would keep anyone out i guess!!!

Hope the horses are found!

unicorn
05-Jun-08, 11:46
This was a warning on another forum I go to last week, I dunno if it counts for up here but I assume they could easily travel.

This was received by my sister today so please pass it on to all horse owners you may know on here. It is not a joke.

There are 2 European men going around in various parts of the country (mainly over the bridge in England at the mo) taking photographs of horses. They are in a White Van, N253 XAJ, and red Landcruiser. If anyone sees them or anything equally as suspicious then please ring the police immediately.

carasmam
05-Jun-08, 11:52
I have just had the same text from a friend Unicorn. I warned her when I read Katy's thread and she had received the same as you.

stixie
05-Jun-08, 11:57
FarmKey the company who freezemark are up here between 6-9th september and depending on how many horses you have it costs between £45-£55 per horse.

They don't charge extra for where you are as they took my postcode (KW14) and said it was fine. If your interested to book give them a call on 08708707107.

The Vets also do micro chipping for around £25 per horse plus call out fee. But it is not visible so less of a deterent.

Freezemarking is value for money in the long run if anything were to happen!

unicorn
05-Jun-08, 12:22
Was this warning given to horse owners up here as it seems people all over have also been warned by the police? Just wondered if it had been issued up here?

highbury
05-Jun-08, 13:20
there have been warnings here in Kent too, last week some horses were stolen, and the thieves were caught on the M25 - last night " were taken from a field near Margate but refused to load so were just left out... Police think they are being stolen to order.. if thats the case there's probably good reson to think its countrywide and organised [evil]

Metalattakk
05-Jun-08, 13:25
To Equine Owners

Many of you will be aware of e mails and text messages circulating concerning reports of 2 men of East European appearance allegedly taking photographs of horses possibly with the intent of stealing.

The initial and original reports concerning two vehicles being seen with 2 men of East European appearance originated from Derbyshire/ Nottingham area.

The vehicles are a White Van registration number N253 XAJ
Red Land cruiser registration number B16 RBB

It is not confirmed or established what these men were doing or concerned in. Their activity is suspicious only and this is what needs to be explained.

As a result of the interest in the vehicles lines of enquiry are being undertaken.

The information was circulated via the Horsewatch network which through e mail and texting now covers virtually the UK. It would appear that as the information is passed on the senders have distorted and misrepresented it through their interpretation and this has been the cause of alarm and concern.

What is now happening is that anyone seen in "suspicious" circumstances near a horse is automatically East European when this is not the case. Unless the two vehicles are physically seen and registration number taken then there is no confirmation. Again a sighting of a white van or red car does not mean it is the vehicles circulated but rumour and suggestion merely exasperates the situation.

In this day and age we should all be aware of what goes on around us. Information circulated by Horsewatch Alliance is at times supplied from police sources and is aimed to inform and advise in order that members of the equine community can take steps to reduce, prevent crime as well as assist in detecting crime.

I hope this helps clarify the situation.

As always remain vigilant and report anything you consider suspicious. Community information is very important in trying to reduce, prevent and detect crime.

Hampshire Constabulary telephone number is 0845 045 45 45

In an emergency call 999

Regards - David

DI 23003 David Collings
Serious and Organised Crime Unit
& Force Equine Liaison OfficerMy bolding/emphasis/underscoring.

highbury
05-Jun-08, 13:29
Thats the same vehicle reg numbers thats been given down here

Metalattakk
05-Jun-08, 13:40
Yep. My point is that this whole sorry charade amounts to no more than scaremongering, thanks to the efficacy of the internet at fuelling fear.

There have been no reports of this 'gang' operating in Scotland. Why would they travel all the way to Latheron to make their first move? The reported 'theft' isn't even confirmed, is it?

Scaremongering. No more, no less.

YummyMummy
05-Jun-08, 14:04
I saw a poster in Tesco, Wick yesterday with a photo of a Shetland Mare, saying "Missing, possibly stolen" (not exact words, but something along these lines) from Latheron.

I have to admit, it got me a little worried and I relayed it to my daughter (we have a horse).

Perhaps that's why the connection has been made with the recent events south and now up here ? or perhaps an entirely different set of circumstances, I'm not sure.

Good to be extra vigilent just in case and report anything suspicious for the safety of all our horses. I, for one, am glad that this was posted as it get's people's attention - so, thanks, good post.

highbury
05-Jun-08, 14:14
I have to say I am sceptical myself, and with the horses left in the road incident we had near here last night, who's to say that the gate wasn't shut properly !! - that said it won't stop the wife and I trying to make ours a little more secure.I also hope that if this is scare mongering it won't inspire the criminal element to try and make a quick buck by doing this very thing

chaz
05-Jun-08, 14:57
I saw a poster in Tesco, Wick yesterday with a photo of a Shetland Mare, saying "Missing, possibly stolen" (not exact words, but something along these lines) from Latheron.

I have to admit, it got me a little worried and I relayed it to my daughter (we have a horse).

Perhaps that's why the connection has been made with the recent events south and now up here ? or perhaps an entirely different set of circumstances, I'm not sure.

Good to be extra vigilent just in case and report anything suspicious for the safety of all our horses. I, for one, am glad that this was posted as it get's people's attention - so, thanks, good post.

Yes we saw a poster in pets at home yesterday the same.Our lot are reasonably secure except for when they are stabled(stables next to road) which is a distance from house.Im looking after a friends 4 while shes away just been to check them.At least it will make us more saftey concious!

Max
05-Jun-08, 16:09
A shetland pony has definitely gone missing - believed to be stolen in the Clyth area and some ponies were let out their field near Halkirk - circumstances are thought to be suspiscious. I don't think it is scaremongering just a warning to be vigilant. Hopefully the pony will be found well and the mystery will be cleared up but until then ....................

Metalattakk
05-Jun-08, 16:52
LOL! These are international horse-thieves, allegedly targeting specific coloured horses.

A shetland pony? Yer 'avin' a laugh. :D

unicorn
05-Jun-08, 16:59
So you don't assume shetlands to have much worth then MA? Are you well versed in the value of animals then?

Metalattakk
05-Jun-08, 17:03
It's got nothing to do with value of the target. These are meant to be international horse-thieves, all the 'reports' so far have quoted specific coloured horses, not one Shetland pony has been mentioned yet, until now.

No reports have been made of horse-thievery (by this 'gang') taking place in Scotland until now, in Latheron of all places. :roll:

This whole story is scaremongering. No more, no less.

unicorn
05-Jun-08, 17:06
And nobody would order a shetland? I would think this area high risk of such things as many quiet areas where animals are kept and many animals around for such a small area.

Metalattakk
05-Jun-08, 17:14
Add all your "if"s and "but"s all together and you get a credible story. Disassemble them and look at each one individually, and you get no more than laughable statements that make no sense.

This is why this story has taken off in such a manner - the internet and its forums make it easy to present illogical rantings as the 'truth'. Knee-jerk reactions abound, because it's easy to succumb to emotion.

It's still scaremongering - and what's more - it's illogical, captain.

unicorn
05-Jun-08, 17:24
The warning was posted to advise people. It doesn't mean these people have taken it, anyone could have but people should be warned to be given a chance to review their security practices with their livestock.

Max
05-Jun-08, 17:34
We are not assuming these are the same people but no matter what you think Metalattakk a pony has gone missing- ok so you don't think a shetland pony counts, but even a shetland pony is a little too large to loose don't you think? I'm sure the owner of the pony is devastated and I think no matter what it has to be taken seriously until we know what happened. I think there is no better place to let people know than the internet - sorry if it scared you!! :)

Oh and for your info it is a coloured shetland!

Metalattakk
05-Jun-08, 18:05
The warning was posted to advise people. It doesn't mean these people have taken it, anyone could have but people should be warned to be given a chance to review their security practices with their livestock.

Absolutely! Tagging it as part of an international criminal horse-thieving ring is just silly though.

We are not assuming these are the same people but no matter what you think Metalattakk a pony has gone missing- ok so you don't think a shetland pony counts, but even a shetland pony is a little too large to loose don't you think?

I never said a Shetland pony 'didn't count'. Sheep go missing all the time, so could a Shetland pony. When trying to figure out something, it's always better to remove the outlandish and irrational theories first. What you're left with is invariably the truth.

I'm sure the owner of the pony is devastated and I think no matter what it has to be taken seriously until we know what happened. I think there is no better place to let people know than the internet - sorry if it scared you!! :)

Tell that to the horse-owners who are panicking unnecessarily about this whole faux-scenario after reading reports on the internet.

Tell that to all the innocent 'Eastern-European-looking' people driving white vans and having fingers pointed at them because of this.

Katy
05-Jun-08, 18:13
I am glad I have managed to help out the majority of you and make you all AWARE of what has been going on!
I can't believe the attitude of some people on here. Regardless if it is a top eventer or a shetland pony it is someone's pet and an animal that is loved by someone and it has been taken from them!
I don't think anyone is thinking it is the same as what is going on down in England and no-one has said it was just making others aware of what is going on in case it was related as you never know these days!!
Katy x

Metalattakk
05-Jun-08, 18:23
I am glad I have managed to help out the majority of you and make you all AWARE of what has been going on!

And what, exactly, has been going on?

I can't believe the attitude of some people on here.

Nor can I. It's irrationality gone crazy. Typical knee-jerk reactions and thoughtless propagation of fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Katy
05-Jun-08, 18:28
I'm just goin 2 ignore a certain person on here, think it is best as they r just tryin to purr everyone up!
So horsery people keep ur eyes pealed!
Katy xxxxx

binbob
05-Jun-08, 19:38
well said,katy...i totally agree with u.stay safe..

carasmam
05-Jun-08, 20:18
I dont think anyone is panicking :roll: But this is a community forum and crime prevention starts within the community, a horse has gone missing and if this thread helps to make people aware it can only be a good thing.

From what was on here earlier this year, it seems the people who were supposedly selling dodgy electrical goods soon hotfooted it back over the Ord once they realised their reputation preceded them and that had a lot to do with the forum on here.

Metalattakk
05-Jun-08, 20:34
I dont think anyone is panicking :roll:

Aye, there are. All over the internet, horse-forums are full of people worried sick that their beloved horse will be targeted and spirited away by this 'gang'. One post I read stated that the person couldn't sleep at night because of the worry.

But this is a community forum and crime prevention starts within the community, a horse has gone missing and if this thread helps to make people aware it can only be a good thing.

Agreed, but again, only if it is done responsibly. This is no place for rumour and irrational reactions.

floyed
05-Jun-08, 20:42
I think it's a good idea that people be vigilant and keep an eye on there Horse's, and the internet is a good way to let everyone know but..........

Maybe the pony just got free by its self , was the gate shut, maybe someone let it out?? I find it hard to believe that up here there is a horse thief going about stealing them,it's a little bit dramatic.

But then this is only my opinion:D

carasmam
05-Jun-08, 20:51
Aye, there are. All over the internet, horse-forums are full of people worried sick that their beloved horse will be targeted and spirited away by this 'gang'. One post I read stated that the person couldn't sleep at night because of the worry.

I meant on Caithness.org.

Metalattakk
05-Jun-08, 21:05
Again I agree that it doesn't seem to be causing too much distress here on caithness.org, but if it can happen on other sites, it can happen here too. All it needs is one ill-conceived post to spark that fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Max
05-Jun-08, 21:57
I own two horses and am certainly not panicing - although I am glad I know about it and I will be vigilant. Hope some of you are right and the pony hasn't been stolen

Metalattakk what you said was

"A shetland pony? Yer 'avin' a laugh" - sounds like you don't think it counts to me!

Metalattakk
05-Jun-08, 22:16
I own two horses and am certainly not panicing - although I am glad I know about it and I will be vigilant. Hope some of you are right and the pony hasn't been stolen

Metalattakk what you said was

"A shetland pony? Yer 'avin' a laugh" - sounds like you don't think it counts to me!

If you will take it out of context then yes, of course it will not come across in the way it was intended.

My comment was in relation to the 'fact' that this 'gang' are allegedly going after specific 'coloured horses', so would be unlikely to go for a Shetland pony in Latheron.

kara
05-Jun-08, 22:23
just thought i'd say that i know that there was 3 shetland ponys that got out a field in latheron 2 nights ago, but was returned safey to the owners. Dont think the fencing was up to much good.

carasmam
05-Jun-08, 22:34
But if they are plastered all over the internet down south they might not think that it is public knowledge up here and then Latheron, or anywhere rural would be the ideal, quiet, location to strike. None of those fancy cameras that read the number plates and alert the police to a vehicles whereabouts etc
None of us thought a 'gang' would go robbing Caithness and Sutherland Post Offices a few years back but it has happened. You cant poo poo the idea of an organised 'gang' doing the rounds in Caithness. Crime is on the increase and it is creeping up here.
And no-one should scoff at the thought of a Shetland pony disappearing, that pony is someones pride and joy :confused

Metalattakk
05-Jun-08, 22:52
just thought i'd say that i know that there was 3 shetland ponys that got out a field in latheron 2 nights ago, but was returned safey to the owners. Dont think the fencing was up to much good.

Excellent news. I guess that's the panic over then. Will we have no more about these horse rustlers now, please? Anyone out there feeling a little bit silly now? [lol]

Case closed. ;)

carasmam
05-Jun-08, 23:22
Excellent news. I guess that's the panic over then. Will we have no more about these horse rustlers now, please? Anyone out there feeling a little bit silly now?

Case closed. ;)

Aah but that might be a different horse, on a different night in question. You dinna want to go listening to rumours !! :Razz

Metalattakk
05-Jun-08, 23:48
LOL! At last, someone seems to be catching on... ;)

joxville
06-Jun-08, 02:50
Maybe they're getting stolen to make into 2p sausages!

Just a thought.:D

Metalattakk
06-Jun-08, 02:59
Depends. Do Fray Bentos make 2p sausages? [lol]

jimmy nuteron
06-Jun-08, 11:20
how do u steal a horse ive heard of people stealing sheep letting cows go but a horse sure they didnt jump the fence and run away

dogman
06-Jun-08, 17:32
how do u steal a horse ive heard of people stealing sheep letting cows go but a horse sure they didnt jump the fence and run away

true. maybe the horses were bored of the scenery and moved to another field!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
10-Jun-08, 23:15
geee whizzers - glad to see my two standing happily in their field when I got back from America tonight ps thanks yummy mummy for your help looking after!!!

YummyMummy
11-Jun-08, 09:57
No worries KEEP ON TRUCKIN

Any sign of horse nappers, they'd have been up in my garden lol!! ;)

louise.davies
20-Jan-09, 21:58
Maybe they're getting stolen to make into 2p sausages!

Just a thought.:D

sicko!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fran
21-Jan-09, 01:33
I was quite puzzled by these posts, as they are dated june 2008, apart from the last one. when I first read it i thought horses had been stolen just now in January.

Kevin Milkins
21-Jan-09, 01:41
I was quite puzzled by these posts, as they are dated june 2008, apart from the last one. when I first read it i thought horses had been stolen just now in January.

I did the same Fran.:eek:

It seems some folk are a bit slow on the uptake.:confused

It's no good bolting the stable door once the horse has been nicked, (or somthing like that);)

floyed
21-Jan-09, 09:39
This post was posted ages ago!! The last poster must of had a right rake around and love horses very much:eek:

joxville
21-Jan-09, 23:21
This post was posted ages ago!! The last poster must of had a right rake around and love horses very much:eek:

I love horses too.......horsesteak is to die for. [lol]

joxville
21-Jan-09, 23:22
I thought this thread was as dead as my libido. [lol]