PDA

View Full Version : Windmill Money

david
04-Jun-08, 23:23
So what does everyone think about the money that has been given out to the 'Halkirk' Highland games, the 'Halkirk' primary school, the proposed 'Halkirk' indoor sports centre, the 'Halkirk' dancing festival. I just hope that the residents of Westerdale,Spittal etc can be able to succesfully apply for something that is of benefit directly to them. One of my ideas was to offer grants to allow the installation of domestic/commercial small scale renewable energy projects (for those in the cattchment area of the windmills) such as solar, windmills or GSHP. I would imagine this idea will fall on deaf ears.....You might as well have the residents of Bolton or even Devon appling for these monies-after all, a bit like the residents of Halkirk, the windmills hardly affect them.

Already In My Back Yard

Scunner
04-Jun-08, 23:38
children from the surrounding area attend Halkirk School, and will benefit from the monies given to the school

WeeBurd
04-Jun-08, 23:45
So what does everyone think about the money that has been given out to the 'Halkirk' Highland games, the 'Halkirk' primary school, the proposed 'Halkirk' indoor sports centre, the 'Halkirk' dancing festival. I just hope that the residents of Westerdale,Spittal etc can be able to succesfully apply for something that is of benefit directly to them. One of my ideas was to offer grants to allow the installation of domestic/commercial small scale renewable energy projects (for those in the cattchment area of the windmills) such as solar, windmills or GSHP. I would imagine this idea will fall on deaf ears.....You might as well have the residents of Bolton or even Devon appling for these monies-after all, a bit like the residents of Halkirk, the windmills hardly affect them.

Already In My Back Yard

Miaow! Maybe you should move to Halkirk then, David - you'll get some of the financial benefits, without having windmills in your back garden [lol]. And should you miss your view, you can be happy, knowing you can still see the blasted things from the village too, if you so wish.

But seriously, dramatics aside on both our parts, aren't Halkirk & Westerdale in the same parish? And as such, isn't Halkirk the community "centre" of the area, where our children are schooled & attend many of the extra curricular events that are offered (such as Youth Club, Brownies/Cubs, football, dancing)? So isn't it a positive thing that the proceeds are staying within the local community where everyone in the area has an opportunity to benefit, and not being syphened off into some Landowners pocket alone :confused?

mccaugm
04-Jun-08, 23:53
I live in Halkirk and had no idea of the supposed fringe benefits. Can someone enlighten me as to where this information came from as I have heard nothing.

theone
05-Jun-08, 00:18
Do the people from Westerdale and Spittal not see Halkirk as their "centre".

All the people I know from there went to Halkirk school, and being a "towny" as far as I was concerned in first year, they were the "Halkirk lot".

Do you think the Halkirk games only attracts/intrests people from Halkirk?

Do you thing the country music festival only intrests/attracts people from Halkirk?

Do you think a sports centre would attract more people if it were based in Westerdale?

Get over yourself.

david
05-Jun-08, 07:19
Do the people from Westerdale and Spittal not see Halkirk as their "centre".

All the people I know from there went to Halkirk school, and being a "towny" as far as I was concerned in first year, they were the "Halkirk lot".

Do you think the Halkirk games only attracts/intrests people from Halkirk?

Do you thing the country music festival only intrests/attracts people from Halkirk?

Do you think a sports centre would attract more people if it were based in Westerdale?

Get over yourself.

IMHO, the money,instead of being directed at certain groups, should have been allocated in a way that would mean eveyone in a catchment area would benefit by giving them something everyone needs-power. A reduction in these folks electricity bills would have been a sensible way to compensate. Not everyone has an interest in the above activities. Perhaps you should take a look at the coffers of the Halkirk Highland Games Committee- they are hardly skint.

Hibeechick
05-Jun-08, 09:34
All those projects, groups etc that were given money, is all attracting people back into halkirk?

For example, the dancing festival took over 170 entries, some from as far off as aviemore.

The Highland games... well its one of the most famous in the world..look how many people turn up for that. Again...bringing more money into the community but yet given the local people the chance to do something at the same time??

david
05-Jun-08, 12:32
All those projects, groups etc that were given money, is all attracting people back into halkirk?

For example, the dancing festival took over 170 entries, some from as far off as aviemore.

The Highland games... well its one of the most famous in the world..look how many people turn up for that. Again...bringing more money into the community but yet given the local people the chance to do something at the same time??

So are you suggesting that the Halkirk Highland Games would finish without the money given for the store room?

Hibeechick
05-Jun-08, 12:49
So are you suggesting that the Halkirk Highland Games would finish without the money given for the store room?

Did I say anywhere that any of those projects needed the money to survive? No. What im saying is that the money seems to have gone to things that are bringing something back into the community.

david
05-Jun-08, 16:33
Did I say anywhere that any of those projects needed the money to survive? No. What im saying is that the money seems to have gone to things that are bringing something back into the community.

Don't quite follow your logic. Halkirk Highland Games being going donkeys years as has Halkirk primary school. Long long before the recent windmill money was allocated around a week ago. There is also a community in both Westerdale and Spittal.

hotrod4
05-Jun-08, 17:47
It seems that no matter what happens with the money, you cant please everyone!.
At least it is being put into the community where people from all walks of life can use it if they so decide.
Why take money off peoples electricity bills? does that also include those on good income? or only low income? You would then get people wanting a "bigger slice of the pie" as they have a bigger house etc.

Community money should be exactly that-COMMUNITY MONEY. Maybe putting it out to vote(by all the adjoining areas)on where the money goes would be a better idea?,I think its good that at least its going back into the area and not filtered down to Inverness ;)

I have a nice garden that someone can put a windmill in for say £1,000,000. All monies will go back into the Hotrod4 ferraris4me fund ;)

david
05-Jun-08, 18:34
It seems that no matter what happens with the money, you cant please everyone!.
At least it is being put into the community where people from all walks of life can use it if they so decide.
Why take money off peoples electricity bills? does that also include those on good income? or only low income? You would then get people wanting a "bigger slice of the pie" as they have a bigger house etc.

Community money should be exactly that-COMMUNITY MONEY. Maybe putting it out to vote(by all the adjoining areas)on where the money goes would be a better idea?,I think its good that at least its going back into the area and not filtered down to Inverness ;)

I have a nice garden that someone can put a windmill in for say £1,000,000. All monies will go back into the Hotrod4 ferraris4me fund ;)

I agree with you entirely on COMMUNITY MONEY. All I am trying to express is that far from the money going to the communities worst affected, it is going elsewhere. Yes you are correct, you can't please everyone , however I would suggest that a reduction in fuel billls would put a smile on many more faces than a store for the Halkirk Highland Games Committee. Your comments with regards to people on low or high incomes is irrelevant. Surely if peoples lives are affected by these developments they should be compensated in some way regardless of the amount of wealth they have, (many will have already lost money due to their property being in the immediate location of the windfarm) infact this seems to have been done already with the Halkirk Highland Games Committee. Unless the park has moved, I doubt if you can see the windmills from the Games park , but hey , you can't please everyone. Perhaps you can think up a sensible idea for this Community Money and what communities are actually affected.

Rheghead
05-Jun-08, 18:47
Surely if peoples lives are affected by these developments they should be compensated.

According to a local high-profile antiwindfarm campaigner, the Causeymire is a very good location for a windfarm which affects very few people. So put another way, only a few people should benefit from this development, eh?:confused

silverfox57
05-Jun-08, 19:06

Already In My Back Yard
they are indeed in my back yard [disgust],and have never heard of any monies ,for bilbster hall,[disgust]

david
05-Jun-08, 19:08
According to a local high-profile antiwindfarm campaigner, the Causeymire is a very good location for a windfarm which affects very few people. So put another way, only a few people should benefit from this development, eh?:confused

Or how about benefiting a few organisation outwith the windfarm location as seems to be the case? People seem to forget that the wind developing companies benefit from these farms, the landowner also benefits. Oh, and I also nearly forgot that Halkirk benefits although 5 miles away from the windmills. All I am suggesting is either a reduction in power bills for those in the immediate area or a grant for renewable power sources-isn't that what the windmill developers would have us all believe they are there in the first place for. I sincerely hope the Halkirk Highland Games store was an eco build.

david
05-Jun-08, 21:46
they are indeed in my back yard [disgust],and have never heard of any monies ,for bilbster hall,[disgust]

Suprise there then! What you need to do apparently is think of some scheme where you don't actually need the money or some other white elephant scheme, (like a sports centre in Halkirk) perhaps some sort of store in Wick or Watten could be handy? I understand that unfortunately to be legible for these monies you may well have to move as far away as possible from the windfarms as it would appear that grants are only available to those that are outwith their location.

Sorry!

david
05-Jun-08, 22:53
Suprise there then! What you need to do apparently is think of some scheme where you don't actually need the money or some other white elephant scheme, (like a sports centre in Halkirk) perhaps some sort of store in Wick or Watten could be handy? I understand that unfortunately to be legible for these monies you may well have to move as far away as possible from the windfarms as it would appear that grants are only available to those that are outwith their location.

Sorry!

Hope someone can convince me otherwise

Rheghead
05-Jun-08, 23:08
think of some scheme where you don't actually need the money or some other white elephant scheme, (like a sports centre in Halkirk)
Sorry!

Would a sports centre be a white elephant scheme in Halkirk? :confused

david
05-Jun-08, 23:36

Depends. If the powers that be can continue to rob the communities that this money should, IMHO be directed to, then possibly the potential is there. You do wonder how this will work. Would I as a resident of Westerdale/Spittal etc be offered free entry? I doubt it. Will the residents of Halkirk be offered free entry for that matter? If not, where is the benefit? Afterall a private company could come along and build the same, charging for profit. Maybe these private developers can smell a white elephant coming out of the bush too. If the scheme goes ahead ( too late in the day to do anything but ) I would hope that the plans for the building are such that it is a super efficient, super insulated building. Otherwise this construction will be negating the 'green'power obtained from the windmills

hotrod4
06-Jun-08, 10:07

Slightly off thread, but wasnt money ear-marked for a sports centre in WIck, but never came about?
A bit like Wicks swimming pool funds on which I am still awaiting an answer!!!
Theres always great ideas but some never seem to materialise, its seems the council will promise us everything and deliver nothing ;)

Rheghead
06-Jun-08, 10:43
Depends. If the powers that be can continue to rob the communities that this money should, IMHO be directed to, then possibly the potential is there. You do wonder how this will work. Would I as a resident of Westerdale/Spittal etc be offered free entry? I doubt it. Will the residents of Halkirk be offered free entry for that matter? If not, where is the benefit? Afterall a private company could come along and build the same, charging for profit. Maybe these private developers can smell a white elephant coming out of the bush too. If the scheme goes ahead ( too late in the day to do anything but ) I would hope that the plans for the building are such that it is a super efficient, super insulated building. Otherwise this construction will be negating the 'green'power obtained from the windmills

An entry charge would need to be levied for the upkeep of the building. Building regulations are of a high spec to keep heat in these days. And in any case, the amount of energy used by a sports hall would be small potatoes in comparison to the amount of energy that Causeymire windfarm generates.

silverfox
06-Jun-08, 11:02
Do you have kids or grandchildren? Do they go to Halkirk school? Do you/they attend the Halkirk games? Would they go to the new sports centre that will be built? Probably!! Is this proposed centre not a good idea to take kids of the streets causing damage to property, cars, flower beds etc etc. If this money wasn't available these things wouldn't be able to happen.

Scunner
06-Jun-08, 11:36
The 'scheme' is run by a board of directors, on a voluntary basis, and have been elected by members of the Benefit Fund. Monies are allocated on application to the directors, and decided by the directors. The directors dont all stay in the village, but in other parts of the community.
With the amount of wind in this thread, another couple of turbines could be driven and then the community would get even more coffers for the community fund.

Tilter
06-Jun-08, 12:04
Actually I agree with David. Spittal and Scotscalder community halls are used frequently and are dropping to bits. I'd like to see some of the windfarm money go to them without them having to stump up a goodly percentage of the cost themselves, which they may be unable to do.

I would also like to see the windfarm money used for:
(a) loft and cavity wall insulation, double glazing and other energy efficiency measures dished out on a sliding scale to benefit those least able to afford these measures
(b) bursaries for youngsters from less well-off families to attend college, trade school or university
(c) the installation and maintenance of truly green leisure facilities in the Halkirk area such as cycle paths, riverside walks and so on.
(d) more public transport, eg. mini-bus flag down public transport around the Halkirk area.
(e) more facilities for old age pensioners, including an upgrade on the central government's winter fuel grant.

It's my understanding that monies could not go to examples (a), (b) or (e) above because the monies can only go to the community and not individuals. I think this is wrong.

I do not believe a huge whack of money should go to a leisure facility or Highland Games in Halkirk. A local policeman tells me Halkirk does not have much of a problem with youth on its streets and I've never seen such a problem.

At one earlier District Benefit Fund meeting we were asked for suggestions as to how the windfarm monies should be put to use. No note was made of these suggestions at the time as it was to be followed up on. To my knowledge no one has been asked subsequently for input.

Rant over, but I think it's all sewn up. They'll probably get a shed for the vintage cars of the great and the good.

Tilter
06-Jun-08, 12:10
A reduction in these folks electricity bills would have been a sensible way to compensate.
I wouldn't agree with that because if you get a reduction in your electric bill, you (not you, maybe some folks) would probably just use more electricity, or be less careful with it, therefore more electricity would be consumed, therefore you are negating some of the energy produced by windpower or by conventional power stations.

david
06-Jun-08, 12:45
Do you have kids or grandchildren? Do they go to Halkirk school? Do you/they attend the Halkirk games? Would they go to the new sports centre that will be built? Probably!! Is this proposed centre not a good idea to take kids of the streets causing damage to property, cars, flower beds etc etc. If this money wasn't available these things wouldn't be able to happen.

No I have no kids so all of the above doesn't apply. When i was growing up there were very few facilties in Halkirk and vandalism was rare because we knew we would get our backsides kicked by someone. Sure kids may initially use the facility until they reach their boredom threshold and then it will be back to the damage you mention. Exactly my point, unless you have kids or a sportperson, then there is no benefit to the way this money has been given out. I don't personally attend the Halkirk Games either.

david
06-Jun-08, 12:50
I wouldn't agree with that because if you get a reduction in your electric bill, you (not you, maybe some folks) would probably just use more electricity, or be less careful with it, therefore more electricity would be consumed, therefore you are negating some of the energy produced by windpower or by conventional power stations.

An easy way around this would be to cap the amount of electricity that was at a reduced rate. You don't see any of the electricity providers giving discounts out for using less electricity despite all the blurb about how windpower is saving the planet. If these companies were truly committed to this, then they should give out discounts to individuals and companies who are reducing their consumption.

david
06-Jun-08, 13:06
Actually I agree with David. Spittal and Scotscalder community halls are used frequently and are dropping to bits. I'd like to see some of the windfarm money go to them without them having to stump up a goodly percentage of the cost themselves, which they may be unable to do.

I would also like to see the windfarm money used for:
(a) loft and cavity wall insulation, double glazing and other energy efficiency measures dished out on a sliding scale to benefit those least able to afford these measures
(b) bursaries for youngsters from less well-off families to attend college, trade school or university
(c) the installation and maintenance of truly green leisure facilities in the Halkirk area such as cycle paths, riverside walks and so on.
(d) more public transport, eg. mini-bus flag down public transport around the Halkirk area.
(e) more facilities for old age pensioners, including an upgrade on the central government's winter fuel grant.

It's my understanding that monies could not go to examples (a), (b) or (e) above because the monies can only go to the community and not individuals. I think this is wrong.

I do not believe a huge whack of money should go to a leisure facility or Highland Games in Halkirk. A local policeman tells me Halkirk does not have much of a problem with youth on its streets and I've never seen such a problem.

At one earlier District Benefit Fund meeting we were asked for suggestions as to how the windfarm monies should be put to use. No note was made of these suggestions at the time as it was to be followed up on. To my knowledge no one has been asked subsequently for input.

Rant over, but I think it's all sewn up. They'll probably get a shed for the vintage cars of the great and the good.

Hi, do you know how the rules were made up/passed? Seems to me that the District Benefit Fund should be renamed as the Halkirk Benefit Fund. I also understand you have to apply for some sort of membership, although I am not sure on the details. Now what is that all about apart from creating barriers. If you are resident in any of the affected communities, IMO membership should be automatic.

david
06-Jun-08, 13:12
An entry charge would need to be levied for the upkeep of the building. Building regulations are of a high spec to keep heat in these days. And in any case, the amount of energy used by a sports hall would be small potatoes in comparison to the amount of energy that Causeymire windfarm generates.

And persumably everyone would be charged the same, regardless of how far you lived from the windfarm. Hardly community benefit then.

Rheghead
06-Jun-08, 14:12
And persumably everyone would be charged the same, regardless of how far you lived from the windfarm. Hardly community benefit then.

And presumably it would be in the community, owned by the community and for the community?:confused

david
06-Jun-08, 20:31
Hi, can anyone tell me if this new store would be good enough to provide some storage space for a few items of mine. I understand they received windmill money for the new store and as this is for community benefit then I can't really see a problem with this. I appreciate that the committee are in and out of the store 365 days a year-not just the few days you might think... Has anyone else stored their stuff in this community store? Is it damp free and relatively safe? What a cracking idea to provide such a store for the local community to use. I applaud the person who thought of this great amenity.

david
06-Jun-08, 23:05
Hi, can anyone tell me if this new store would be good enough to provide some storage space for a few items of mine. I understand they received windmill money for the new store and as this is for community benefit then I can't really see a problem with this. I appreciate that the committee are in and out of the store 365 days a year-not just the few days you might think... Has anyone else stored their stuff in this community store? Is it damp free and relatively safe? What a cracking idea to provide such a store for the local community to use. I applaud the person who thought of this great amenity.

Why was this post moved? I am in dire need of storage space within the 'Comuninty Area'. Initally I thought of an old peat shed at Westerdale which might have been adequate to store my 5 marquee tents, numerous chairs and dancefoors- not forgetting bars etc. Seems it's falling to bits and the owner cares not one jot as he's getting some serious money from a windfarm in the location. Hopefully the Halkirk Highland Games Committee will come to my rescue and being community minded will be helpful. They can always build a bigger shed?

Scunner
06-Jun-08, 23:53
Halkirk Gala Week starts on Saturday. Saturday 14 june is Gala Night, and the time for floats. Are you setting yourself up for a take-off David?

Hows the house at Westerdale coming along?

silverfox
07-Jun-08, 01:25
quite right david if you have some thing to be stored ask the games commitee

david
07-Jun-08, 09:25
Halkirk Gala Week starts on Saturday. Saturday 14 june is Gala Night, and the time for floats. Are you setting yourself up for a take-off David?

Hows the house at Westerdale coming along?

Well if it improves the turnout of floats at the gala, so be it!

House coming along fine although thinking of blocking up a few windows. The view seems to be changing all the time!

footie chick
07-Jun-08, 10:26
Is this not a case of sour grapes because you weren't voted onto the Games Committee??

david
07-Jun-08, 10:48
To the best of my knowledge I have never been nominated or indeed had the desire to be on this Committee!!

david
07-Jun-08, 21:50
quite right david if you have some thing to be stored ask the games commitee

Asked a member of this committee for my storage. He/she was of the opinion that the store was for the HHGC and no one else. Communiity benefit fund- ha ha. You tell me please where is the fairness in this when you have a store which benefits a community for a few days per year and you have the residents of Westerdale and Spittal with SFA.

Welcomefamily
07-Jun-08, 22:46
Give it as interest free business development loans to the community thus encouraging local enterprise.

elamanya
09-Jun-08, 11:30
wow i just got the most amazing sum of money from the halkirk windmill fund, they have gave me enough cash to buy a brand new top of the range 4x4 with blacked out windows, so i dont see the windmills when im driving past them

Tilter
09-Jun-08, 17:17
Hi, do you know how the rules were made up/passed? Seems to me that the District Benefit Fund should be renamed as the Halkirk Benefit Fund. I also understand you have to apply for some sort of membership, although I am not sure on the details
Maybe two years ago we got a membership application form in the post (I think they went to everyone who's on the Halkirk electoral roll). I would image you can get membership now by applying to the Secretary but I don't know. I believe the Directors decide who the money's going to. The first lot of directors were in post for life, but there was a hoo-haa about that so new directors were put in place for a fixed period. Recently there was a meeting to elect more directors, or the same directors over again. As far as I'm aware, the directors made up the rules, aided by their solicitors. (I could well be wrong - I find it all hopelessly complex.)

david
09-Jun-08, 18:56
Maybe two years ago we got a membership application form in the post (I think they went to everyone who's on the Halkirk electoral roll). I would image you can get membership now by applying to the Secretary but I don't know. I believe the Directors decide who the money's going to. The first lot of directors were in post for life, but there was a hoo-haa about that so new directors were put in place for a fixed period. Recently there was a meeting to elect more directors, or the same directors over again. As far as I'm aware, the directors made up the rules, aided by their solicitors. (I could well be wrong - I find it all hopelessly complex.)

Thanks for that. It would make more sense to me if the residents of Westerdale and Spittal had the casting vote on how this money was spent. I too find the whole thing complex and confusing! Perhaps this is deliberate....

Errogie
12-Jun-08, 22:34
Well really if the folk in one corner of Caithness are going to bicker about their Community Benefit fund let's just send all the loot down to Inverness and the worthy Highland Councillors can carve it among the many deserving projects at this end of the local authority's area!

david
12-Jun-08, 23:37
Well really if the folk in one corner of Caithness are going to bicker about their Community Benefit fund let's just send all the loot down to Inverness and the worthy Highland Councillors can carve it among the many deserving projects at this end of the local authority's area!

Send it where you you think. IMHO the money will never reach Westerdale or Spittal. Wot a shame for the community. I would happily spend time with the peeps who came up with this so called community benefit and indeed discuss how they have reached their decision.One of those peeps will not reply to my email.-Think about it , a large sum of money to the Highland Games Committee for store they use infrequently, money to Halkirk Primary School, 150k to white elephant sports complex in Halkirk. About 1000 quid for somebody who likes teaching youngsters to dance

Rheghead
13-Jun-08, 00:24
the Highland Games Committee

Have you ever thought of entering the Cynicism event?:lol:

david
13-Jun-08, 09:35
Have you ever thought of entering the Cynicism event?:lol:

Is that the best you can come up with, or do you have some sensible comments to add to this debate?

Hibeechick
13-Jun-08, 10:01
Send it where you you think. IMHO the money will never reach Westerdale or Spittal. Wot a shame for the community. I would happily spend time with the peeps who came up with this so called community benefit and indeed discuss how they have reached their decision.One of those peeps will not reply to my email.-Think about it , a large sum of money to the Highland Games Committee for store they use infrequently, money to Halkirk Primary School, 150k to white elephant sports complex in Halkirk. About 1000 quid for somebody who likes teaching youngsters to dance

Ok thats it, can't hold my tongue anymore. You obviously dont know what you are talking about and have a very large chip on your shoulder. The money was not given to someone who likes to teach dancing, it was given to help set up the first dancing festival. Which will be held every year, in halkirk, giving the oppertunity to many local children to compete and have fun which they may not get the chance to unless they travel hundreds of miles which many can not do. So you don't have children or grandchildren yourself, why should that effect those who do, and the kids who enjoy their dancing.

Have an issue, then take it up with the committee, don't go around slagging those that did get the money!!

david
13-Jun-08, 10:23
Ok thats it, can't hold my tongue anymore. You obviously dont know what you are talking about and have a very large chip on your shoulder. The money was not given to someone who likes to teach dancing, it was given to help set up the first dancing festival. Which will be held every year, in halkirk, giving the oppertunity to many local children to compete and have fun which they may not get the chance to unless they travel hundreds of miles which many can not do. So you don't have children or grandchildren yourself, why should that effect those who do, and the kids who enjoy their dancing.

Have an issue, then take it up with the committee, don't go around slagging those that did get the money!!

The point being that this money far from benefiting the Communities most affected is going elsewhere. Very easy for people on this forum to belittle others opinion as has been done in the past couple of replies. Imagine a situation where there were windmills in Thurso but the benefit monies were distributed outwith this area. I don't think so!! Okay I don't have kids, but I have a landscape blighted by windmills which is going to have an affect on the value of my property. Do I have to have kids or attend the Halkirk Games once a year to see any benefit from this fund? Seems that is what you are suggesting. I apologise if you feel I was slagging those off that got the money. You obviously feel that 10k spent on a store for a few days use a year is money well spent?

Hibeechick
13-Jun-08, 10:59
The point being that this money far from benefiting the Communities most affected is going elsewhere. Very easy for people on this forum to belittle others opinion as has been done in the past couple of replies. Imagine a situation where there were windmills in Thurso but the benefit monies were distributed outwith this area. I don't think so!! Okay I don't have kids, but I have a landscape blighted by windmills which is going to have an affect on the value of my property. Do I have to have kids or attend the Halkirk Games once a year to see any benefit from this fund? Seems that is what you are suggesting. I apologise if you feel I was slagging those off that got the money. You obviously feel that 10k spent on a store for a few days use a year is money well spent?

Im sorry you have to look at those windmills every day! I also know that the person who teaches the dancing has to look at them every day aswell! You are twisting things! You know perfectly well that you dont have to have kids to attend... but just because you dont have kids doesnt mean that kids can not benefit from the money! Ask any of those 170 kids that went to the festival the other week if they enjoyed themselves!

Please tell me, where I said anywhere that I agreed that 10k on a store was a good idea? Yes I said the games bring money into the community etc... but did not anywhere say that a 10k shed was a good idea!

I can see your point on it going to other parts of the community aswell, did they apply for money? Did they ask how to apply or how to get money? If they didn't, then surely they can not complain about what has been given out. If they have/did apply, then surely the board etc that did apply should be asking why they didn't recieve any?

Yes I do feel you have slagged of people that got the money. Especially the dancing ( maybe because I know a bit more about the festival etc ). The money helped start up something. It didnt just fund it for a one off thing. Those dancers, organisers etc all worked damn hard to give the kids their day. Thats what the day was about...the kids!

elamanya
13-Jun-08, 11:01
your getting a bit personal now aint you, so the dancing school got money to set up a festival which could run for years and years, it cost a lot of money im sure to set up , medals , trophies, pipers , judges, prize money,rent of hall etc, and im sure Tanya never got one penny of this money,and im sure all the kids who competed had a great time,

Hibeechick
13-Jun-08, 11:03
your getting a bit personal now aint you, so the dancing school got money to set up a festival which could run for years and years, it cost a lot of money im sure to set up , medals , trophies, pipers , judges, prize money,rent of hall etc, and im sure Tanya never got one penny of this money,and im sure all the kids who competed had a great time,

Absoloutely correct!! She never saw a penny!! It was for the dancing school, not for her!

david
13-Jun-08, 11:12
Im sorry you have to look at those windmills every day! I also know that the person who teaches the dancing has to look at them every day aswell! You are twisting things! You know perfectly well that you dont have to have kids to attend... but just because you dont have kids doesnt mean that kids can not benefit from the money! Ask any of those 170 kids that went to the festival the other week if they enjoyed themselves!

Please tell me, where I said anywhere that I agreed that 10k on a store was a good idea? Yes I said the games bring money into the community etc... but did not anywhere say that a 10k shed was a good idea!

I can see your point on it going to other parts of the community aswell, did they apply for money? Did they ask how to apply or how to get money? If they didn't, then surely they can not complain about what has been given out. If they have/did apply, then surely the board etc that did apply should be asking why they didn't recieve any?

Yes I do feel you have slagged of people that got the money. Especially the dancing ( maybe because I know a bit more about the festival etc ). The money helped start up something. It didnt just fund it for a one off thing. Those dancers, organisers etc all worked damn hard to give the kids their day. Thats what the day was about...the kids!

Great the 170 kids had a good time. I wish them well. I wonder how many of the 170 are from the communitys worst affected. Sorry to sound selfish but I fail to see how the monies distributed so far are of any benefit to myself or others living nearby these windfarms. As for applying for monies, a bit frustrating when one of the so called 'elected' directors will not reply to my emails. Strangely enough this person lives in Halkirk and is a member of the HHGC. The whole thing is a farce. Surely the directors should at least live in these Communities that are affected, or failing that they should live outwith the County to enable impartial decision to be reached

Hibeechick
13-Jun-08, 11:15
Great the 170 kids had a good time. I wish them well. I wonder how many of the 170 are from the communitys worst affected. Sorry to sound selfish but I fail to see how the monies distributed so far are of any benefit to myself or others living nearby these windfarms. As for applying for monies, a bit frustrating when one of the so called 'elected' directors will not reply to my emails. Strangely enough this person lives in Halkirk and is a member of the HHGC. The whole thing is a farce. Surely the directors should at least live in these Communities that are affected, or failing that they should live outwith the County to enable impartial decision to be reached

Until one of the directors living outwith the community gave the money to something else you didn't agree with and then it would be unfair because they gave money to something they know nothing about because they dont even live within the community.

These people can't win no matter what they are to do.

david
13-Jun-08, 11:23
Until one of the directors living outwith the community gave the money to something else you didn't agree with and then it would be unfair because they gave money to something they know nothing about because they dont even live within the community.

These people can't win no matter what they are to do.

These people can win with great ease. If they can't stand the heat then stay out of the kitchen. Just give something back to those affected most like small scale renweable energy projects which will contribute to the Green targets we are faced with. I am not for one minute suggesting that the organiser of the dancing festival benefitted financially from this money-where did I say that?

Rheghead
13-Jun-08, 12:17
Is that the best you can come up with, or do you have some sensible comments to add to this debate?

It was a sensible comment in a way. It was just an honest expression of mine of your over riding cynicism. It seems some windmill money was given out and those that received it are deciding to use in the best way that they feel fit. Obviously if/when a windfarm comes to your particularly area then you can have YOUR opportunity to influence how the money is spent to your satisfaction instead of belly aching to all and sundry how you feel about another community spending money.

david
13-Jun-08, 12:42
It was a sensible comment in a way. It was just an honest expression of mine of your over riding cynicism. It seems some windmill money was given out and those that received it are deciding to use in the best way that they feel fit. Obviously if/when a windfarm comes to your particularly area then you can have YOUR opportunity to influence how the money is spent to your satisfaction instead of belly aching to all and sundry how you feel about another community spending money.

The windmills in question are in my community. This is my community that is affected by these windmills. As far as influencing how the monies are spent, how can this be achieved without effective communication from the directors. Yet again we have a post that declines into the realms of a personal attack. It's a pity you could not come up with something a bit more helpful.

Hibeechick
13-Jun-08, 12:56
The windmills in question are in my community. This is my community that is affected by these windmills. As far as influencing how the monies are spent, how can this be achieved without effective communication from the directors. Yet again we have a post that declines into the realms of a personal attack. It's a pity you could not come up with something a bit more helpful.

Personal attack... Sorry David but you did exactly the same earlier on and have been making digs at certain people the whole way through these posts in connection the the HHGC etc. So you didnt name names.... but people still know who the members are.

Errogie
13-Jun-08, 13:01
Oh dear, I hesitate to prolong this but I would just like to say good on the Committe for all taking this on by the scruff of the neck and keeping the money close to home when it could so easily have gone elsewhere.
They desrve all the support they can get for the hours of hard work that I'm sure they've put into obtaining the money and setting up the mechanism to spend it for the benefit of the whole community.

I've admired they way they do things in Halkirk ever since they boiled the Bishop of Caithness in butter!

david
13-Jun-08, 13:06
Personal attack... Sorry David but you did exactly the same earlier on and have been making digs at certain people the whole way through these posts in connection the the HHGC etc. So you didnt name names.... but people still know who the members are.

Yes you are correct. I did not name names as I could be then be accused of being personal. As far as I aware their are loads of folks on the HHGC. I have yet to have a reply defending the Community Benefit of the new store. IMO this just makes the HHGC lifes easier. So what ideas if any do you have that could benefit the communities affected?

Hibeechick
13-Jun-08, 13:25
Yes you are correct. I did not name names as I could be then be accused of being personal. As far as I aware their are loads of folks on the HHGC. I have yet to have a reply defending the Community Benefit of the new store. IMO this just makes the HHGC lifes easier. So what ideas if any do you have that could benefit the communities affected?

It doesnt concern me. Im not in the community. Was just sticking up for someone not able to defend themselves.

Rheghead
13-Jun-08, 13:34
It's a pity you could not come up with something a bit more helpful.

Same goes to you, how helpful has your thread been, just pure bellyaching because you personally don't see any benefit to the money yet others obviously do. Selfish in my opinion.

There will be more money coming from those windmills because the money will keep coming, perhaps if you look at the bigger picture then you might see some benefit.

Personal attacks? pot calling kettle black.

Going by other orgers comments, I'm not alone in my assessment...

david
13-Jun-08, 13:51
Same goes to you, how helpful has your thread been, just pure bellyaching because you personally don't see any benefit to the money yet others obviously do. Selfish in my opinion.

There will be more money coming from those windmills because the money nwill keep coming, perhaps if you look at the bigger picture then you might see some benefit.

Personal attacks? pot calling kettle black.

Going by other orgers comments, I'm not alone in my assessment...

At least I have made a few suggestions on what this money could be spent on for the benefit of the communities that are affected most which is more than some folks have done. So where have I personally attacked anybody on this thread? As far as being selfish, you and others as well as me are entitled to their opinions and have a right to air them.

Rheghead
13-Jun-08, 13:57
At least I have made a few suggestions on what this money could be spent on for the benefit of the communities that are affected most which is more than some folks have done. So where have I personally attacked anybody on this thread? As far as being selfish, you and others as well as me are entitled to their opinions and have a right to air them.

So take your suggestions to the powers-that-be for consideration in the future, perhaps if you had suggested it in good time then the present distribution of monies would have been different. I've not got a problem with that. What I have got a problem with is recipients being slagged for getting monies which they are entitled to and find useful. What you don't ask for, you don't get. If it is a matter of priority where the first monies are allocated, then that is a different matter.

Tilter
13-Jun-08, 14:02
Oh come on you guys. Since when did people on the Org not bellyache?

David, join the Benefit Fund membership and put yourself forward for election at the next go-around if you want to do something about it.

I'm glad the money has gone to dancing and Halkirk school. I wish many and smaller grants were possible for similar things (in the whole area and not just Halkirk village) and to individuals for home energy efficiency projects and not for huge grants for leisure complexes and so on.

It seems windfarms generate huge ill-feeling before they're erected and now, it seems, afterwards as well. I can't help feeling we'd have been better off with no Causeymire windfarm and no community benefit.

david
13-Jun-08, 15:25

David, join the Benefit Fund membership and put yourself forward for election at the next go-around if you want to do something about it.

I'm glad the money has gone to dancing and Halkirk school. I wish many and smaller grants were possible for similar things (in the whole area and not just Halkirk village) and to individuals for home energy efficiency projects and not for huge grants for leisure complexes and so on.

It seems windfarms generate huge ill-feeling before they're erected and now, it seems, afterwards as well. I can't help feeling we'd have been better off with no Causeymire windfarm and no community benefit.

That will be the Halkirk Community Benefit Fund-not the Westerdale & Spittal Community Fund.

david
13-Jun-08, 15:27
So take your suggestions to the powers-that-be for consideration in the future, perhaps if you had suggested it in good time then the present distribution of monies would have been different. I've not got a problem with that. What I have got a problem with is recipients being slagged for getting monies which they are entitled to and find useful. What you don't ask for, you don't get. If it is a matter of priority where the first monies are allocated, then that is a different matter.

Considering you think I am bellyaching, your spending quite a bit of time on this thread!!

david
13-Jun-08, 15:30

Some common sense at last!

ywindythesecond
13-Jun-08, 22:20
I have been catching up on this thread. I have long thought that the moment that a landowner proposes to have a windfarm signals the start of the death of the local community. I am saddened to find that I am probably right.

Rheghead
14-Jun-08, 01:46
Considering you think I am bellyaching, your spending quite a bit of time on this thread!!

I like bellyaching otherwise I wouldn't be on the Org, what's your excuse?;)

david
14-Jun-08, 12:11
I like bellyaching otherwise I wouldn't be on the Org, what's your excuse?;)

So we do share some common attributes!