PDA

View Full Version : Would YOU eat the 2p Sausage?

scorrie
03-Jun-08, 21:22
On today's breakfast news I saw that ASDA are selling a packet of 8 sausages that costs only 16p i.e. 2p per sausage. I was horrified to hear that it only contains 34% Pork. I am sure that it used to be the law that a Pork sausage had to contain a minimum of 60% Pork to be able to be called a Pork sausage.

Anyway, I think it would have to be dire times indeed before I would tackle them. Not being snobby or anything, I just feel they are bound to be a poor product. The BBC reporter asked 10 shoppers at random and 6 said they would try them. How about you?

The Daily Mail had a chef try them out and he was not amused:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1023674/The-2p-sausage-But-whats-Asdas-bargain-banger.html

Looking for a third opinion, I called up my old pal Meatloaf (Miteloff as he is known in Caithness) to see what he thought:-

"Scorrie, all I can say is:-

I would do anything for grub, but I won't chew what!!" ;)

dogman
03-Jun-08, 21:26
we need asda, i could do with those 16p sausages!

changilass
03-Jun-08, 21:26
I will try owt once, my nana drilled into me that you can't knock it till you've tried it, so would have to say I would try it, don't mean I gotta like it though :lol:

golach
03-Jun-08, 21:30
I admit to shopping in Walmart Asda, but I refuse to buy any supermarket meat of any kind, far less their sausages, we buy our meat for our local butcher.

sweetpea
I saw it on the news and it turns my stomach. I can't eat stuff like the 2p sausage, I'd be sick. Last 6 weeks I've been doing Carol Vorderman detox and it's meant to be 28 days but I kept going and tonight I thought I'd have a treat, fish and chips, but after a few bites I felt realy queezy and had to abandon it:( I was eating it when I saw the sausage on the news as well so that didna help.

Lumberjack
As Navid from Still Game would say-- "Aah quality man".

the charlatans
03-Jun-08, 21:47
No way would i buy these never mind eat them. Yuck.

What i eat keeps me healthy and its local butchers for me all the way.

We should be supporting our local farmers/butchers not oppressing them with price restrictions. Remember the chicken programme at the start of the year? well this must be the same for pigs.

Cost doesn't come into a healthy diet if you shop and cook correctly. 2p a sausage? not in my house.

If only they would get 2p a litre of petrol.

armanisgirl
03-Jun-08, 21:49
No way, I wouldn't even give it to the dog!!! How disgusting would that taste? I have once or twice been quite skint, and bought the supermarket brand of mince, made spag bol (we all love spag bol) but the amount of grease that floated on top was gross! It also lacked flavour, even with the jar of bol sauce! I made a pact never to buy own brand meat after that, and stick to what we know, like and trust.

Bet the schools start serving them up though!!!![lol]

Anne x
03-Jun-08, 21:59
I admit to shopping in Walmart Asda, but I refuse to buy any supermarket meat of any kind, far less their sausages, we buy our meat for our local butcher.

Same here having tried some of it rather stick with my local butcher anyhow where else would I go for local news he is like the Groat

domino
03-Jun-08, 22:18
do not think a scorrie would eat them!!

MadPict
03-Jun-08, 22:19
We bought some Tesco Finest Pork/chilli sausages the other day and they were disgusting. There seemed to be little or no meat in them, the consistency was similar to sawdust. So, sometimes paying a premium doesn't always guarantee quality.
The avacados that were bought the same time were actually bruised and mushy inside. Fruit seems to go off almost the day after it is bought and so, I have to say, IMO, the quality of food from Tesco's seems to be falling.

I hardly ever shop there now, preferring Waitrose...

scorrie
03-Jun-08, 22:49

We should be supporting our local farmers/butchers not oppressing them with price restrictions. Remember the chicken programme at the start of the year? well this must be the same for pigs.

Cost doesn't come into a healthy diet if you shop and cook correctly. 2p a sausage? not in my house.

It is a pity you can't get the car converted to run on those sausages right enough. That would bring a whole new meaning to banger racing!!

With the sausages being only 34% Pork, there is a chance there is just as much diesel in them as well ;)

If they cut the Pork content back any further, veggies, Muslims and Jews will be allowed to eat them, but not necessarily ABLE to eat them.

MadPict
03-Jun-08, 22:57
I have a soft spot for Spam - love it fried/grilled. I try to be healthy and eat the Lite version. Contains 90% Pork - pork what, I don't know...

chaz
04-Jun-08, 08:25
We bought some Tesco Finest Pork/chilli sausages the other day and they were disgusting. There seemed to be little or no meat in them, the consistency was similar to sawdust. So, sometimes paying a premium doesn't always guarantee quality.
The avacados that were bought the same time were actually bruised and mushy inside. Fruit seems to go off almost the day after it is bought and so, I have to say, IMO, the quality of food from Tesco's seems to be falling.

I hardly ever shop there now, preferring Waitrose...

I agree the quality of Tescos fruit and veg has fallen rapidly, most of the veg go off within a day or so.Stopped buying my fruit and veg there.
As for eating the 2p sausage im sticking with homemade or my butchers :)

Lord Flasheart
04-Jun-08, 08:32
Might be tempted to try them for the BBQ but if I had a choice .. no.

Then again for those living on low incomes they may well be a godsend.

floyed
04-Jun-08, 08:48
I couldn't eat them, i prefer butcher meat:D

Flair
04-Jun-08, 08:54
They probably wouldn't be my first choice but I would eat them.

After all, if I ended up on a desert island with them would I have a choice?

Would you have a choice?

crashbandicoot1979
04-Jun-08, 12:16
Yuck! Will definitely stick to butcher meat. No matter how cheap supermarket meat is, I never buy the stuff.

AfternoonDelight
04-Jun-08, 12:25

HEAR HEAR!!!! One of the most sensible posts I have seen in a long time! ;)

Julia
04-Jun-08, 12:52
Not even for my dogs to eat! Eeewwwwww yuck!

I'm sure Tesco value frozen sausages are only 22% pork, the rest being beef and chicken connective tissue amongst other nasty stuff [disgust], I had a wee look one day and was horrified.

chaz
04-Jun-08, 13:05

I'm sure Tesco value frozen sausages are only 22% pork, the rest being beef and chicken connective tissue amongst other nasty stuff [disgust], I had a wee look one day and was horrified.

Thats the frightning thing when you look at the ingrediance!!! Dog food may be better than some products made for human consumption !!

scorrie
04-Jun-08, 13:07

As Homer Simpson once said:-

"Without the grease, all you can taste is the hog anus"

bothyman
04-Jun-08, 14:48
I will try owt once, my nana drilled into me that you can't knock it till you've tried it, so would have to say I would try it, don't mean I gotta like it though :lol:

That's the way I look at it.

I'll try anything once, as long as someone tries it before me.

Ricco
04-Jun-08, 15:03
I bet the pakaging costs more! I wouldn't put anything that cheap anywhere near my mouth!

Rheghead
04-Jun-08, 15:36
I'm horrified that the sausages actually contain as much as 22% pork. Reputable Pork farming is has a particularly high carbon footprint with all its indoor lighting and heating etc. Poor pork farming is known for its high incidence of bad animal health management. All in all try to avoid pig products if you can.

George Brims
04-Jun-08, 18:42
I was horrified to hear that it only contains 34% Pork. I am sure that it used to be the law that a Pork sausage had to contain a minimum of 60% Pork to be able to be called a Pork sausage.

I recall (my stomach turns at the memory) some doctor doing a series on TV about how bad some of our food was for our health. He showed how sausages are made. If I remember rightly, he said that some proportion of a sausage has to be "meat". I think it was 2/3. The rest was fat. So he puts this great pile of fat in a bowl. Then he explains that "meat" is defined as 50/50 lean and fat - so another equivalent pile of fat goes in, followed by the lean. Are you doing the sums - yes that stuff is now 1/3 lean meat! Then he grinds this all up and makes some sausages. Only these sausages don't look great, and as he demonstrates, they shrivel to nothing when you cook them. So then he shows us this stuff called "butcher's rusk" which is basically dried breadcrumbs. You are allowed to put in some small percentage of that. It has pink dye in it. So what do you know, these sausages look much nicer and they retain their shape when they are cooked - because the fat is still in the sausage (and eventually in you!) and not in the pan.

*Sigh* and don't they just taste great? :(

George Brims
04-Jun-08, 18:45

You have to realise though, that if you want to build a healthy body, the protein in lean meat is actually not adequate, being low in one essential amino acid. On the other hand if you eat ground up gristle etc (aka "connective tissue") you will get the building blocks necessary to build your own connective tissues. Anyway is it all that much worse than haggis? Or tongue?

I do have to admit though that I haven't eaten a hot dog since I heard that they are made from "lips and sphincters".

scorrie
04-Jun-08, 21:59
I do have to admit though that I haven't eaten a hot dog since I heard that they are made from "lips and sphincters".

At least that is a combination that allows you to kiss your own ass goodbye!!

scorrie
04-Jun-08, 22:00
I'm horrified that the sausages actually contain as much as 22% pork. Reputable Pork farming is has a particularly high carbon footprint with all its indoor lighting and heating etc. Poor pork farming is known for its high incidence of bad animal health management. All in all try to avoid pig products if you can.

OK Rabbi Rheghead, you can climb down from the pulpit now ;)

ps I am sure pigs are worried about their high carbon trotter!!

armanisgirl
05-Jun-08, 21:09
Watch 'This Morning' tomorrow to see Philip Schofield test the 2p sausage and compare to other value brands! this could be interesing :D

Cattach
06-Jun-08, 08:44
Yuck! Will definitely stick to butcher meat. No matter how cheap supermarket meat is, I never buy the stuff.

You are the poser. I shop at both butchers and supermarkets. I have had good and poor quality meat from both. Just got to be selective what you buy.

Cattach
06-Jun-08, 08:46
we need asda, i could do with those 16p sausages!

Bought ones in Tesco Wick this week at the same price to try them. Will give them a goe - sausage, egg, bacon, beans and chips with HP sauce! Will hardly taste the sausage!!

joxville
06-Jun-08, 09:41
The Daily Mail had a chef try them out and he was not amused:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1023674/The-2p-sausage-But-whats-Asdas-bargain-banger.html

Well it's only natural a chef wouldn't like them. Just watch any TV chef,(personally, I try to avoid them), and you'll find they are all prima-bloody-donna's. Now I appreciate they like good food and are always pushing for us to try and improve our eating habits, but come on, if they were so serious that we should eat 'quality', why are their restaurants so damned expensive to eat in, beyond the price range of us commoner's? My mum was a great cook but she didn't over-charge me on my dig's money at the end of the week.

So back to the 2p sausage's-I'd try them, especially with bacon & egg's etc. 'cos I like a fry-up* occassionally.

*It's actually a grill-up these days but can't get out the habit of calling it a fry-up.:D

jimmy nuteron
06-Jun-08, 11:27
i dont care if they only have 1p sausages thats a bargain and i would defo eat it some people cant afford butcher sausages even tho we would like to

armanisgirl
06-Jun-08, 16:13
So did anyone watch it? I missed it - had to go out :( but was thinking maybe that was a good thing? So, who knows what the verdict was?

While out, I did the shopping, and went to the butchers for some very not 2p sausages [lol] amongst other things - having the other half tell me exactly what goes into hotdogs (thank god I don't like them!) it's kinda put me off sausages anyway! Disgusting! And I have a feeling the 2p sausages are likely to contain very similar, how else can they afford to sell them at 2p each? Sometimes paying a bit extra for the decent thing or the brand names is worth it :cool: