PDA

View Full Version : Bebo thugs...

MadPict
03-Jun-08, 17:00
Having seen some of the rubbish posted onto these social networking sites by adults it is little wonder the kids think this sort of behaviour acceptable....

http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/Police-target-200-children-in.4143722.jp

teddybear1873
03-Jun-08, 17:23
Having seen some of the rubbish posted onto these social networking sites by adults it is little wonder the kids think this sort of behaviour acceptable....

http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/Police-target-200-children-in.4143722.jp

Bebo, Myspace, Facebook etc etc. Waste of money and there used for the wrong reasons. They should be closed down.

Ash
03-Jun-08, 17:29
Bebo, Myspace, Facebook etc etc. Waste of money and there used for the wrong reasons. They should be closed down.

hardly the answer...... i use bebo and im not a thug, either are none of my friends, only good come out of it is that because they have posted it on there sites they have been caught!

grumpy1
03-Jun-08, 17:46
Don't see what the harm is, certainly don't think its a waste of money as it doesn't cost any thing to subscribe.. u just need to be careful that u only stick to folk u know....it does concern me however when u see kids accepting total strangers as pals.. they should be more closely monitered...

Lord Flasheart
03-Jun-08, 18:41
I am aware of an attempt (going quite successfully) to infiltrate a group on one of these sites that is planning protests and eggings against service personnel. Watching the infiltrators blend in and gain the trust of them is brilliant. Particularly when you consider they are all squaddies.

Thats how you treat these idiots, make them look like the pratts they are.

teddybear1873
03-Jun-08, 20:32
hardly the answer...... i use bebo and im not a thug, either are none of my friends, only good come out of it is that because they have posted it on there sites they have been caught!

I didn't say your a a thug but a good number of these of sites are used for the wrong reasons. It's spiralling out of control. There a load of crap but that's my opinion.

Oddquine
03-Jun-08, 20:44
I have a Bebo account which I opened to connect with my grandchildren who live furth of Caithness.

And believe me, if I saw them or any of their friends playing silly s, their parents would be told immediately.

Be fair, teddybear1873........anything on the internet can be used for the wrong reasons..................which simply means that vigilance on the part of the site operators and the authorities are necessary............regardless of the eternal shout from those and such as those that it is a breach of civil liberties/freedom of speech.

It has always seemed to me that those who object the most to erosion of civil liberties/freedom of speech are simply backing up those who abuse those privileges because it is the PC thing to do.

Ash
03-Jun-08, 20:46
I didn't say your a a thug but a good number of these of sites are used for the wrong reasons. It's spiralling out of control. There a load of crap but that's my opinion.

they spiral out of control because alot of parents arent monitoring what there kids are doing on the internet and obviously havent a clue wen they go out

teddybear1873
03-Jun-08, 20:53
they spiral out of control because alot of parents arent monitoring what there kids are doing on the internet and obviously havent a clue wen they go out

Correct. The biggest % on these sites are the younger generation. There's also the problem of fake profiles, identity theft, social issues, etc.. Sorry but I don't see the point in these type of websites.

Ash
03-Jun-08, 20:54
i use it to keep in contact with friends and family and for a laugh, i dont agree with parents who let there kids on this unsupervised at all

armanisgirl
03-Jun-08, 21:34
I have a bebo page. I use it to stay in touch with friends and family, and have caught up with some people I haven't heard from in years, as well as some new found family members. My beboer friends come from as far north as Wick, and having moved to England, find this a great way of staying in touch, sharing photos and letting people know what's happening with me and my family.

I have seen the odd page where a person (gender/age is not an issue), that makes me think, OMG, what a state, what a total prat etc. However, given that there are 1000s of members on these things, finding the odd few dafties isn't much. However, using these networking sites for the purpose of causing harm or distress to others is wrong. Those involved in these activities should be punished by the courts. But, the sad thing is, it's all forms of internet access and usage that entices the 'wrong' sort of users, from paedophiles to thugs.

In the case of children, bebo is not available to anyone under 13, and I have been shocked at how many kids under that age (including a 5 year old) having their own page. Age restrictions are for a reason, and many of these children have had their pages created by their parent(s). Why????? Obviously, lies regarding ages have been told in order to create these accounts. But for those old enough, and using things such as bebo to organise crime or anti social behaviour, many if most, of the parents or carers simply do not know what is on their childs pages. I know of a young lad who has two pages, one is the one his mother gets to see - very nice and polite. The other, mother obviously does not know about - full of swearing, sexist and racist comments - and the lad has recently set it to private so mother cannot access it.

My oldest son is now 16. I have NEVER allowed him internet access UNLESS I am in the immediate vicinity. My younger two have never been on the internet at home, though have at school under close supervision. I am not a prude or a goody-two-shoes by any means, I just constantly worry about my kids safety, and that includes online.

But for those who aren't fans of social networking sites, please don't slag it off or condemn them, for some of us, it is a very good way of keeping in touch with people without feeling pressurised to phone, text or write regularly, and whether you like it or not, sites such as these will continue to appear, along with everything else that appears online.

balto
03-Jun-08, 22:28
there are a lot of trouble makers on bebo, i had to close my page and start a new on to avoid a certain"friend", now i am very carefull about who i add on my new one.

armanisgirl
03-Jun-08, 22:43
Yep, sadly I had to do this too Balto, except it wasn't a friend but supposed family that publicly attacked me verbally about stuff they never knew details about. Shame, but lesson learnt - add carefully, all photo albums are now private and cannot be seen unless added as my friend, and though I have my profile public, anything personal is now said via email. True what they say - be careful who or what you marry into lol, if I had paid heed to that, I would still have my original bebo page! Bit of a hassle closing the account to re-open it, but worth it as I can now see an old friends recently born baby, which I couldn't do if I wasn't online.

balto
04-Jun-08, 07:55
Yep, sadly I had to do this too Balto, except it wasn't a friend but supposed family that publicly attacked me verbally about stuff they never knew details about. Shame, but lesson learnt - add carefully, all photo albums are now private and cannot be seen unless added as my friend, and though I have my profile public, anything personal is now said via email. True what they say - be careful who or what you marry into lol, if I had paid heed to that, I would still have my original bebo page! Bit of a hassle closing the account to re-open it, but worth it as I can now see an old friends recently born baby, which I couldn't do if I wasn't online.
my "friend" went out to cause trouble between me and my mum, and for a while it worked but thankfully i began to see through her, and realised i needed my mum and my family more, doubt it would have been long before she tried to cause trouble between me and my other half,you just have to be really carefull on sites like this, as people can be anyone they want to be and unfortunatly there are a lot of fakes out there.

hotrod4
04-Jun-08, 11:30
bebo is only as good as the people that use it.
I have a bebo page and find it great fun and use it to keep up to date with friends etc.
Abusing it is the same as anything on t'internet its open to abuse, its only a small minority of idiots who ruin it for everyone else.
The trick is to keep your profile private that way only "true" friends that you allow can view your page, simple really!

SunnyChick
04-Jun-08, 19:22
I love BEBO. It has been a great way of finding old friends, and keeping in touch with them, and their families, etc. You can share photos and memories and it's great.

You can limit who looks at your page, and what people write on your page, etc. :D

So I don't really see a problem with it when you are a responsible adult.

However, it's also a place to muck about, so can see why people would be concerned.

I'm not all that comfortable with some young lassies who post photos of themselves pouting and posing on their mobile phones trying to look older and more glamorous than teenagers should be. I think they should remember that it might not always be their friends who are looking at their photos.:confused

unicorn
04-Jun-08, 19:28
Why do you need to close and reopen a bebo to get rid of someone when you can delete people on your friends lists.