PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth's chips

Geo
06-Jun-03, 18:58
Anyone else finding the chip portions in Elizabeths to be very poor?

I thought it might have been a one off that the chips didn't even reach the top of the tray, but a second visit resulted in the same amount.

Very disappointing and not worth the asking price.

squidge
06-Jun-03, 19:12
MIne were cold last time [disgust]

Gizmo
06-Jun-03, 21:49
There is not a single chippy in wick where you can buy a portion of chips thats fit for human consumption, if you want good chips then you have to go to a chinese takeaway, the chips from the China Kitchen are fantastic, thick, dry, tasty, and you get pleny of crunchy ones aswell...yummy :D

2little2late
06-Jun-03, 22:38
Anyone else finding the chip portions in Elizabeths to be very poor?

I thought it might have been a one off that the chips didn't even reach the top of the tray, but a second visit resulted in the same amount.

Very disappointing and not worth the asking price.
Trouble is up here, ALL the chippies are of poor quality. But the worst thing of all is having to wait for your order to be cooked. Why don't any of the chippies have everything already fried, not just one or two scoops of chips or one or two sausages, but, a good selection of fried food. There is nothing wrong with having the trays jam packed with food already cooked. Belive me it works. Nothing worse than going into a chippy for something to eat and having to wait for long enough for it to be cooked. If there's is nothing being displayed then I do not use the place.
I know what you are all thinking, why cook everything at once,what if it doesn't get sold it will go to waste? Believe me it won't go to waste. You'll be surprised how many customers they would get.

Anonymous
08-Jun-03, 17:08
Having worked in a couple of freshly cooked food retail outlets, I can tell you that what they are doing, cooking your food as you require it, is the best method for all concerned.

In places where they cook everything before it is required, you end up with a vast quantity of wasted food and in a chip shop the only thing they make any decent profit on is the chips, everything else is very expensive to buy in.

Personally, I always try to go to Henrietta's for my suppers as I find that after the long wait the food is pretty much always just what I want from a chippy. But as with all things, people have differnt tastes, eg. You'll never convince me that anyone can ever match the excellent chip butties from peachie's chipper, even the gamble that Margaret might have coughed up a bit of lung to add to yer chips didnae put me off.

Eve M
08-Jun-03, 17:43
Aaahh Peachies chips :D They were without a doubt the best in the town. The shop was a pleasure to go into, Brian and Margaret always provided service with a smile.

Geo
08-Jun-03, 18:17
Having worked in a couple of freshly cooked food retail outlets, I can tell you that what they are doing, cooking your food as you require it, is the best method for all concerned.

In places where they cook everything before it is required, you end up with a vast quantity of wasted food and in a chip shop the only thing they make any decent profit on is the chips, everything else is very expensive to buy in.

I'd say they were badly run then. I've used chip shops which at most times of the day you could ask for pretty much anything and it's ready, the display units being crammed with food, yet coming up to closing time they only have a few things left.

Obviously the demand in a town the size of Wick is much less so they could just have a few best sellers always ready to go, a couple of bits of fish, sausages, king rib and chips. I'd much rather go in and pick from something that is ready to go. It works for every chippie I've used outside of Caithness, I don't see why it woudn't work here. Everybody I know who uses the chippes here says the same thing and some of them won't even go in the door because they aren't prepared to wait.

Jenni
08-Jun-03, 21:04
I can't comment much on the chips but her coleslaw is very yummy (whether homemade or not)

2little2late
08-Jun-03, 21:16

I can tell you now that people would rather walk into a chippie for a supper and see everything on display knowing what they want is all ready cooked. Ther's nothing worse than having to wait in a queue for your order. At least, if what you want is already cooked then there's no problem. A few times I've gone to a chippie and asked for food only to be told they have ran out.
If they can satisfy the customer, then the customer will gladly go back. If not then the customer won't, unless they are really,really desperate. Very rarely will they end up with a vast amount of food left over. Even if they do not have what somebody wants 9 times out of 10 they wil ltake something else on display.

willrob
08-Jun-03, 22:02
I see someone can't wait to leave Caithness.and all because they have to wait in the chippy.
Maybe there is a bus timetable available somewhere to help speed there departure.

Wounded Soldier
08-Jun-03, 23:16
Nothing wrong with a frozen box of micro chips.....................ding*

Delicious...

The Angel Of Death
09-Jun-03, 11:25
I can tell you now that people would rather walk into a chippie for a supper and see everything on display knowing what they want is all ready cooked. Ther's nothing worse than having to wait in a queue for your order. At least, if what you want is already cooked then there's no problem. A few times I've gone to a chippie and asked for food only to be told they have ran out.
If they can satisfy the customer, then the customer will gladly go back. If not then the customer won't, unless they are really,really desperate. Very rarely will they end up with a vast amount of food left over. Even if they do not have what somebody wants 9 times out of 10 they wil ltake something else on display.

Yea but on the other side of the coin i bet you would moan if your fish / sausage / king rib etc was left lying for an hour or two getting all dry and minging

I have no problems waiting whatever chippie i got to atleast i know its fresh and not been lying all afternoon nowt worse that a dry king rib etc they taste rotten

And on the subject off Peachies there tattie fritters were brillient as well

Geo
09-Jun-03, 11:58
Yea but on the other side of the coin i bet you would moan if your fish / sausage / king rib etc was left lying for an hour or two getting all dry and minging

I have no problems waiting whatever chippie i got to atleast i know its fresh and not been lying all afternoon nowt worse that a dry king rib etc they taste rotten

Like I said, chippies elsewhere seem to be able to do it and they get the balance right.

Regarding King Rib, I find them minging whether they are just cooked or a day old! :D

Mr P Cannop
09-Jun-03, 12:29
yuck

Lynz39
10-Jun-03, 12:46
My friends had chips from Elizabeths on the way home from the pub on Saturday night. One of my friends commented that they tasted funny. I tried one of the chips and it was disgusting. All my friends binned the suppers they had bought as they were inedible.
I think they need to change their fat on a more regular basis!