PDA

View Full Version : mobile phone/radio signal in Thurso area

CFM
03-Jun-08, 09:39
Forgive me if I get the technical bits slightly wrong but as I understand it the 11kva power supply to the mast at Ben Dorrerry got struck by lightning on Friday, this took out the power supply which meant that various mobile phones have been down along with Caithness Fm.

We are told that this problem should be fixed by Wednesday afternoon, meanwhile your phones are receiving a signal from futher south which is obviously a lot weaker

Hopefully CFm will be back on air then as well!

Loch not Lock
03-Jun-08, 09:44
Does anyone have any idea when DAB radio is going to become available in Caithness? Thank you.:confused

Metalattakk
03-Jun-08, 10:40
Thanks for the info CFM. I suspected there was a connection between the two outages. ;)

Loch not Lock: I doubt we will ever get DAB up here. The last email I sent to the BBC got a formulaic response along the lines of "We're not planning to provide it in your area as there's not enough people to justify the expense. Independent providers cite the same reasons R.e. advertising revenues.

It's a dead technology anyway, better to wait for the next generation.

sweetpea
03-Jun-08, 11:39
I've had no signal on vodaphone since Saturday morning, decided to phone them just now and was told that they were waiting for the engineers to get permission to get onto the land to fix it!! Asked for a reduction in my monthly payment was told no because they can't always guarantee coverage!

badger
03-Jun-08, 11:46
Mobile coverage seems to be very patchy with all this. I've been Ok with Vodafone but neighbours nearby have been out for days and a friend in Wick, who's on Orange, was out at the weekend.

What with that and widespread power cut last night - makes you realise how we rely on everything working and how little it takes to bring us crashing down. Bit scary.

Nice to know the BBC, like so many others, thinks there are no people up here. Maybe we should have a united wave and get one of those low-flying planes (which also don't exist according to the MoD) to film it. Non-existent planes filming non-existent people ;)

futurelegends
05-Jun-08, 21:43
CFM/MFR All sorted and back on Air as of Thursday the 5th June.