PDA

View Full Version : sorry for my silly question

Ash
03-Jun-08, 08:29
my wisdom teeth are coming thru, slighly painful :( do you have to get them removed?

rs 2k
03-Jun-08, 08:34
No they r yours to keep

Julia
03-Jun-08, 08:34
No, not at all, if they come in straight they are just extra teeth. Had to have mine out as they went all wonky. :lol:

stixie
03-Jun-08, 08:36
mine were absolute agony and i was referred to hospital to get them out, some people never get any and others have slight pain but then they are fine!

With mine they came through and pushed on all my other teeth, you should probably get it checked out if your are doing the same.

Hope its fine for you.

Ash
03-Jun-08, 08:36
oh thank god, lets hope they come in right!!!!!!!!!! :D

Lolabelle
03-Jun-08, 08:37
I had mine out as I put up with years of infections and pain. If they don't get infected and come through properly, leave them to it. Mine were growing crooked and were impacted. I had to have them cut out of the bone, as they were trying to come out the side of my jaw.

northener
03-Jun-08, 08:37
I'd definitely have a word with your dentist.

A lot of people suffer some discomfort with their wisdom teeth, but generally they turn out OK.

The reason I say speak to your dentist is that sometimes they can come through at odd angles.
Mine were terrible when they were erupting, an X-ray showed that they were coming up slightly underneath the adjacent teeth. The opinion was that they would all have to come out as there was a very real risk of them putting pressure on the main nerve in the jawbone- not good.

Luckily it didn't get any worse and they've never bothered me since - but it would be worthwhile getting a professional opinion.

brokencross
03-Jun-08, 09:51
Only if you need the tooth fairy money desperately.

silverfox57
03-Jun-08, 13:10
my wisdom teeth are coming thru, slighly painful :( do you have to get them removed?
my son teeth where coming thru add angle,had to have them removed in hospital,did not lose his wisdom:lol:

young
03-Jun-08, 13:52
When mine first started coming through i used some tcp on a bit a cotton wool and put it on the gum it helped alottt.
Another question though how long do they actually take to come through completely as they mine started 2 and a half years ago and are still not completely through???????

squeezy
03-Jun-08, 18:42
Young - it all depends on the individual. Mine started coming through about 12 years ago and are still thinking about it! I have one that is probably 3/4 of the way through, one that is on a level with my gum, but open and one that pops up to say hello occasionally then goes back to bed and there isn't much movement on the other one! I think that's them happy where they are!

One piece of advice is even if they are only coming through a bit, make sure you brush them carefully - they can be really tricky to reach so some facial contortionism can be required!!

Oddquine
03-Jun-08, 20:49
Never got any(and I'm 60 now) ..............which isn't something which has surprised my family!

Tilter
03-Jun-08, 21:28
Never got any(and I'm 60 now) ..............which isn't something which has surprised my family!

Oddquine, I'm your age and have never had any either. Dentist told me you're just more highly evolved if you don't get them, and that theory works for me.

Oil of Cloves from chemist is brilliant for a toothache.

joxville
04-Jun-08, 17:04

If you have to ask, I'd suggest keeping them-seems like you need all the wisdom you can get.:D

PS I never got wisdom teeth, as my response above testifies.:D

unicorn
04-Jun-08, 17:21
I only got 2 and they are not properly in yet and started 10 years ago

girnigoe
04-Jun-08, 18:42
I only got one. It came through fine. But because it was right at the back my toothbrush had a hard job getting right in behind it and it rotted and had to be taken out.

So Ash if it does come through straight my advice would be to try and look after it as best you can if you dont want it out!!

:)

poppett
04-Jun-08, 22:15
When my bottom left wisdom came in it pushed the tooth next to it so hard it cracked the enamel. The 2nd tooth had already been filled twice or three times with old mercury fillings so the dentist removed it to ease the pressure on the wisdom. It came through no problem and moved forward to partially fill the gap and allow decent access to brush. The other three had no problem finding a home.

A dear friend of mine, sadly no longer with us, went into hospital to have her four wisdom teeth removed as they had become impacted. She woke up after the general anaesthetic to find she had no teeth....except the four wisdom teeth. Some years later they had to be removed too.