PDA

View Full Version : Westerdale Church

Christina Baldwin
02-Jun-08, 21:45
Hello

My ggrandparents Alexander McLeod and Janet Sutherland Ross were married in the Westerdale Church 10 Dec 1868. I understand that the Westerdale Church is now disused. I will be visiting Caithness in early September 2008. Is there any way I could arrange to have a look inside the church & who would I contact?

Thanks Christina Baldwin
New Zealand

spittalhill
02-Jun-08, 23:48
Westerdale is now united with Halkirk, so I would suggest the Minister or Session Clerk at Halkirk. You will find the details on Caithness.org.

Anne x
03-Jun-08, 00:35
Kenneth Warner Minister
Abbey Manse
Halkirk KW12 6uu
Caithness
01847 831227
I am sure he would help

david
03-Jun-08, 06:58
This is now a private dwelling house. Not sure what remains of it inside.

Christina Baldwin
03-Jun-08, 11:16
Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes I have had a private message to tell me that the Westerdale Church is now a private dwelling. I wonder what will have happend to the old pulpit etc. If anyone does have additional information I will be pleased to know. I think it will still be worth a drive out there to have a look at the outside of the building.
Regards
Christina Baldwin

david
04-Jun-08, 09:12
The old pulpit is still in the house. I understand it had to remain because of listed building rules. IMHO the peeps in the church not too friendly so beware.

htwood
07-Jun-08, 03:46
Yes, its definitely worth having a look. Westerdale area is lovely, you'll get a good sense of where your family lived.

Christina Baldwin
07-Jun-08, 21:51
Thanks everyone

I will have a look at Westerdale and will report back in September. I am glad the old pulpit is likely to be still there.

I have a long list of places to visit in Caithness.

Regards Christina

PS I am finding this Caithness site very slow to download - anyone else finding the same. It may just not be satellite friendly

robynaus
08-Jun-08, 00:42
Thanks everyone

I will have a look at Westerdale and will report back in September. I am glad the old pulpit is likely to be still there.

I have a long list of places to visit in Caithness.

Regards Christina

PS I am finding this Caithness site very slow to download - anyone else finding the same. It may just not be satellite friendly

Not having any trouble downloading here is Aus Christina
Regards robyn