PDA

View Full Version : Do people marry people who look like them?

rich
02-Jun-08, 16:04
Recently on our regular stroll through Central Park en route to the Museum of Natural History my 10 year old grandaughter made an interesting observation.

She asked me why people who are in love (walking hand-in-hand is the test) all tended to look like each other.

I suggested that the same thing was true of dogs and their owners.

But then I thought that is accounted for by the great power of mimicry which is part of dogs' survival skills.

After our visit to the dinosaurs we retired to a bench in the Park, Hana with an ice-cream and myself with the New York Times. And there, in the social pages were brides and grooms galore and you know - they all (to my eyes at least) looked remarkably alike.

Do Orgers have any such pix?

It might be fun to find out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/fashion/weddings/01desimio.html?ref=style

northener
02-Jun-08, 17:14
Me: 6'2"
Mrs N: 5'

Me: FB
Mrs N: Svelte

Me: Arseface
Mrs N: Looker

Lord Flasheart
02-Jun-08, 17:19
Me: 6'2"
Mrs N: 5'

Me: FB
Mrs N: Svelte

Me: Arseface
Mrs N: Looker

Spooky .. the only difference there between me and my current missus is that I am 6ft tall only. We do have the same warped sense of humour though so maybe thats it.

hotrod4
02-Jun-08, 18:08
I am 5' 11 3/4" (cant forget the 3/4")
She is 5' 2"

Me- green eyed
she-brown eyed

Me-Handsome
she-hansomer

So we have nothing in common, but opposites attract :)

She laughs at my jokes so it must be a Humour thing, or is she laughing WITH me or Laughing AT me........................... will have to think about that one ;)

Lord Flasheart
02-Jun-08, 18:24
Notice how the men so far (including me) all say that their other halves are better looking than them !!

*Checks to see she isnt looking*

I am not ashamed to admit she is damn lucky to have a fine specimen like me by her side, she should thank the Gods that she landed up with me. I think that we ended up together through our shared view of the world in that we laugh at it more than we laugh with it. I think that tends to last longer than physical attraction.

She is a honey though although she might change her opinion if she sees my Blimping thread.

Please no one tell her .. ;)

Thumper
02-Jun-08, 18:42
Well NEITHER of my ex's looked like me...1st one 5'3" skinny and a dreadful taste in fashion(I am talking fair isle jumpers here folks!) and 2nd one was 6'3" no so bad taste in clothes but a face that looked like a half chewed toffee ;) Me I am 5'3" (god help anybody who says I am not lol) great taste in clothes....bad taste in men but I am getting MUCH better at it lol x

Valerie Campbell
02-Jun-08, 18:43
Funnily enough at my husband's sister's wedding the groom's sister asked if I was Barbara's sister. So I guess I kinda look like his side of the family anyway...

Sporran
02-Jun-08, 19:02
Once in a while I do come across a couple that somewhat resemble each other, and often wonder if it was a subconscious attraction or not. Jon Bon Jovi is married to his high school sweetheart Dorothea, and they look quite alike in some pics I have seen.

My husband and I don't look anything like each other. He is 6ft 6ins, and I am 5ft 1.5 ins tall. I've got green eyes, he's got blue. He's grey haired now, but when we met, we both had brown hair. That's about the only physical characteristic we had in common. I can't really say either of us is any better looking than the other. We're both reasonably attractive, in my humble opinion.

Margaret M.
02-Jun-08, 19:08
If they looked like me or Jon Bon Jovi, I may have kept them. :) I see more people looking like their dog than their spouse.

joxville
02-Jun-08, 19:56
Me 6' 1"
Ex 5' 7"

Me Brown eyes
Ex Brown eyes

Me Not too bad looking
Ex Good looking

Me Average build
Ex Size 10-12, (large breasts)

Me Size 11 feet
Ex Size 6 feet

Me Great sense of humour
Ex Mildly amusing

Apart from the eyes, nothing in common

rich
02-Jun-08, 20:07
So far everybody appears to be married to folk who are their polar opposites.
But that's coming from within the marriage.
It's how we look to outsiders that should really tell the case.
So what do your friends say?
When Picasso did his famous portrait of Gertrude Stein she said "that doesn't look at all like me" to which he replied "you will come to resemble it." So that is proof, were any needed, that we change as we age and become more and more to pick up resemblances to our friends, enemies,surroundings etc.
Sometimes it takes the innocent eye of a child to detect differences which should be apparent to everybody. Sidney and Beatrice Webb were politicians in the 1920s. They rode a tandem bicycle everywhere and wore clothes made only of natural fibres and they were probably vegetarians. Their tiny nephew aged three asked his parents "Which one is Sidney and which is Beatrice?"
He couldn't tell them apart.
So ask your friends -do my current squeeze and I look like each other?
PS My mother's advice was always to take a good look at your future mother in law. That's what your wife will look like 20 years down the pike. Of course your intended may be subjecting your father to keen scrutiny....

Tighsonas4
02-Jun-08, 20:08
cant see my old dutch wanting to look like me [lol]
shes quiet and thoughtful and im all mouth blended together it has worked perfectly [lol] [lol] tony

oldmarine
02-Jun-08, 20:58
My wife is 17 years younger than me. She was my older children's elementary school teacher. We married and have two children of our own. I don't believe she looks like me. In fact, she is much better looking than me. I consider myself well blessed that she should agree to become my wife. I have always cosidered myself twice blessed with two beautiful wives. God took one home and gave me another of equal beauty. I likewise have 4 beautiful children. What more can a man ask for? Thanks for allowing the opportunity for this old man to express himself for what God has given him.

Anne x
02-Jun-08, 21:10
My wife is 17 years younger than me. She was my older children's elementary school teacher. We married and have two children of our own. I don't believe she looks like me. In fact, she is much better looking than me. I consider myself well blessed that she should agree to become my wife. I have always cosidered myself twice blessed with two beautiful wives. God took one home and gave me another of equal beauty. I likewise have 4 beautiful children. What more can a man ask for? Thanks for allowing the opportunity for this old man to express himself for what God has given him.

How beautiful enjoy your wonderful family and life

joxville
02-Jun-08, 21:11

Says it all really.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
02-Jun-08, 21:12
I never married a lady who looks like me.She's shorter and has more hair.What I would add is that I married a lady with the same sense of humour,that'll do for me.

oldmarine
02-Jun-08, 21:23
Cedric, that says a lot and expresses your feelings very well.

mccaugm
02-Jun-08, 21:24
Me 5' 2"
Him 5' 10

Me somewhat curvy
Him skinny but gaining after 10 years

Me green eyes
Him blue eyes

Me hair colour various
Him dark blonde

Me erratic
Him calm

Me good sense of humour
Him cheeky sense of humour

Me blessed to have him
Him bleedin lucky to have me;)

Me in love
Him ditto

Best thread for a giggle in ages...

Venture
02-Jun-08, 21:36
I've often thought this before. If you look at a page of wedding photos in the newspaper it is amazing how couples look like each other. I don't think rich means as you are now its more when you were married and its faces we're talking about not bodies.[lol]

Alice in Blunderland
02-Jun-08, 21:41

Thats such an honest from the heart post. How lovely those words I have highlighted are.

Lolabelle
03-Jun-08, 04:30
I don't know if we looked alike when we go married, or now. But we are both fatter, and greyer, but I dye mine to blend the "natural" blonde bits, LOL.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/Lolabelle_2007/wedding_0.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/Lolabelle_2007/PAULADAVE.jpg

Tighsonas4
03-Jun-08, 12:58
lovely post and glad i can say the same but got the same type of blessing
3 children 9 grandchildren and7 gt grandchildren tony

rich
03-Jun-08, 14:59
Lolabelle - what brilliant picture.s You look like you came out of the same pod! Even the spectacles look identical. I'll try and get a picture of myself with the current wife. I am convinced we look utterly different. But who knows....

Sporran
03-Jun-08, 19:03
You do look like you go together very well, Lolabelle, and I do see some similarities between the two of you. :)

Another celebrity couple that I thought resembled each other was rocker Lenny Kravitz and his former wife, actress Lisa Bonet.

I also think actors Harry Hamlin and Lisa Rinna look like one another.

rich
03-Jun-08, 19:12
Then why not get some pix up on the thread to take a look at some couples.
In the meantime, guess who Bianca Jagger looks like!

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.harrywalker.com/photos/Jagger_Bianca.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.harrywalker.com/speakers_pitch.cfm%3FSpea_ID%3D813&h=301&w=255&sz=33&hl=en&start=11&um=1&tbnid=dIDz3c4PbesluM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=98&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbianca%2Bjagger%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26 sa%3DN

Sporran
03-Jun-08, 19:19
I agree with you, rich, I often thought that Bianca resembled her former hubby Mick Jagger - with her being the prettier of the two! :cool:

I'll see if I can come up with some pics of the look-alike couples I have mentioned in my previous posts.

rich
03-Jun-08, 19:26
Good man, Sporran.
In the meantime ask yourself this - were Barbara Sterisand and King Tut lovers in another lif????

http://cellar.org/iotd.php?threadid=8306

Sporran
03-Jun-08, 19:59
Jon Bon Jovi (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3802503936/nm0000954) and his wife Dorothea (http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/814702.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1936808AB6AB7C5FBAB9A81ACDE6D0243BD 284831B75F48EF45)

Lenny Kravitz (http://www.virginmedia.com/microsites/homefamily/slideshow/dashing-dads/img_10.jpg) and his former wife Lisa Bonet (http://www.havelshouseofhistory.com/Bonet,%20Lisa.jpg)

Harry Hamlin and his wife Lisa Rinna (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2129369856/nm0002122)

Sporran
03-Jun-08, 20:05
Good man, Sporran.

Actually, rich, that should be "Good woman, Sporran". There is nothing male about me! :Razz

Whitewater
03-Jun-08, 20:46
Good thread this, I've had a read and a chuckle. I don't know if it is true or not, don't think I look anything like my wife, but it has brought to mind an incident of many years ago when we were courting. I was walking down the street in Thurso with her, and one of my old neighbours from Grove lane met us on the street. "My goodness Andrew" she said "haven't seen you for years, and please tell me which of your sisters is this" I introduced her to my bride to be, but when I think back on it I'm glad she didn't ask which of my brothers I was with.

Oddquine
Never had a beard, myself...........but then.....no longer have a partner............so maybe I should have grown one!

wifie
At the time of marriage you could say that hubs and I had a similar hair type but he hasn't got much left now! The couples that have been mentioned on here are good lookie likies! Wow Lolabelle - you two deffo! Love the King Tut thing Rich!

rich
Actually, rich, that should be "Good woman, Sporran". There is nothing male about me! :Razz

So I guess we don't look alike! Oh, dear....

rich
03-Jun-08, 20:49
But, wait a minute, I am getting the thread tangled up...i

Tilter
03-Jun-08, 21:21
I've read where we are most attracted to people who most resemble ourselves, and choose as mates those with the same level of attractiveness as ourselves. Unless you're a man with loads of money/power and then you can pull better looking or younger women.

It's nice of you guys to say your wives are all better looking than you. Keep on thinking that.

I'd say I'm about same as my OH. We're same height, so I'm tall-ish woman and he's short-ish man. I think he's better looking than me (or was) but I'm better shape. Personality-wise we're totally different, however, we do have same sense of humour.

Sporran
04-Jun-08, 05:53
There's a strong resemblance between Johnny Depp (http://fabsugar.com/gallery/view/1586753?page=0,3,0&show=large) and his partner of 10 years, French singer/actress Vanessa Paradis (http://fabsugar.com/gallery/view/1586753?page=0,1,0&show=large). They both have exquisitely chiselled features and such fabulous high cheekbones! :cool:

rich
04-Jun-08, 14:52
I dont know about that dress though. It looks as if she is wearing a wedding cake! Anyway they are both marvellous.

northener
04-Jun-08, 16:23

Well put, Bootneck.

WeeBurd
04-Jun-08, 23:49
MrBurd and I obviously don't - someone told him last night that he was clearly batting out of his own league marrying me [lol][lol]!

robglysen
05-Jun-08, 20:09
I heard men went for ladies that reminded them of their mothers. hmmmm.