PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend?

edayhouse
02-Jun-08, 12:53
Hello

Just being nosy and thought that i would ask.........? A kind of follow up question to where do you shop!

How much do you spend on your weekly/monthly shop?

I have 2 pre-school children and my hubbie and we spend between £400-£500 on food/shampoo/cleaning goods every month - i think this is quite a lot - we are not extravagant with our shopping and try to make lists and pretty much buy what is on the list but....you know how it is.

I split my shopping between visiting Tescos/Lidls/Bews for some sausages and Semi-Chem for Shampoo, deodrant etc...

How much do you spend?

floyed
02-Jun-08, 12:57
I am about the same as you, i do lists as well but it's sometimes hard to stick to especially if you we go to Tesco's.

Ash
02-Jun-08, 14:38
i do a weekly shop £40-60
go between tesco, coop and semi chem, if not id be over a £100

Julia
02-Jun-08, 14:41
My weekly shop is usually in the region of £60, that's for one adult, 2 children and 2 dogs.

cuddlepop
02-Jun-08, 14:47
I'm about the same as you £500 a month for 2 adults I teenager and 2 dogs.
If i go to inverness you can add on another £100 between,boots £ shop and lidles.

Its very expensive on Skye to shop,no competition.:~(

cd1977
02-Jun-08, 15:07
£500 a month on shopping alone?

We have two young kids and two adults to feed. The bill for the month is nowhere near £500.

lorr_mun14
02-Jun-08, 15:55
Oh help, we obviously live like kings & queens then! I am not telling you how much I spent on shopping the week before last, 2 adults, 2 children and 1 dog, and he got nothing out of it!!!

nicnic74
02-Jun-08, 16:04
We spend a fortune to, 2 adults 4 kids, 1 would say we are between £500 & £ 600 per month, sometimes just go to tesco for milk & bread & come out a £100 worse off, i think we go overboard sometimes coz not everything gets eatin & we always end up throwing it all away.
Tried doin a shopping list before i go but i can never stick to it & always addn extra stuff into trolley & if the kids come to it's I WANT I WANT I WANT not that they always get what they want a treat now & again

kriklah
02-Jun-08, 17:17
i can usually manage to spend £150+ a week on grocery shopping, but then i seem to be feeding the 5000 most days!!!!

hubby works away so at home i am feeding - 1 adult(me) 6 kids age between 17yrs down to 10 week baby, 1 dog, 5 cats and 3 kittens, 3 chinchillas, 2 budgies, a hamster and fish. i can half fill a trolly just with tins and bags of pet food, and given the amount of loo roll we get through i think someone must be eating it aswell!!!!

on top of my own, most of the neighbours kids gravitate to our house, and forget to go home at feeding time so after lunch and three loaves of bread later.....im heading for the shop to replace the bread for school lunches!!!(with 3 kids in primery school i baulk at the £100 a month for school dinners!!)

i do trawl for the offers and reduce to clear items to keep the costs down, but it still a large bill every month

mums angels
02-Jun-08, 17:19
Well hubby and i just worked it out and we average almost £200 a week based on when he's home so thats 2 adults and 3 kids ...we have now an extra one in the house but havn't really noticed the difference with her yet but will have to add on baby milk and nappies to start . we could probably bring it down by shopping in the different supermarkets but i honestly hate shopping so just stick to one....our shopping has gone up heaps since tescos opened .

chaz
02-Jun-08, 17:34
Im Between £100 and £200 a week , depending on if i need to top up the freezer or the store i keep of essentials (flour,washing powder ect) is running low.Thats for 3 adults,two teenagers and 2 under 5s.Sorry forgot about the dogs ,hamsters and horses.Cook all food from scratch including bread and rolls to keep the costs down , shop at all supermarkets and use butchers each week once a week.

Valerie Campbell
02-Jun-08, 18:48
Edayhouse, we're about the same as you. You're not being extravagant or excessive. It's just the cost of living...

Thumper
02-Jun-08, 18:50
I have a very limited budget so I tend to spend very litle but it varies from week to week depending on what I have run out off and if I have a bit of spare cash,there is me and 3 kids,1 dog and a cat and I spend around £50 although I can and have lived on as little as £25 a week when i have to x

NickInTheNorth
02-Jun-08, 20:52
we have £100 per week for all household shopping - food, toiletries, cleaning etc, usually manage a bottle or two of wine at the end of the week! That's for 2 adults and 4 children. And it pays for school dinners fo 2 too :D

Alice in Blunderland
02-Jun-08, 21:00
We spend far too much on shopping each week and to make matters worse

When you go to the fridge the milk is almost done,

When you look in the cupboard theres nothing great to eat,

When you go to the toilet someone has used the last bit of toilet roll,

When your looking for kitchen roll its wrapped around a dolly

or bandaged round a teddy,

When you try to find the chocolate you hid the kids have found it first,

Then when you go back to the shops to replenish your stocks the kids hamper you so much you buy all the wrong things plus some you didnt want but the kids did and your worse of in the pocket,

Im signing up for Tesco.com :lol:

Venture
02-Jun-08, 22:01
I know I could spend a lot less but unfortunately don't have the willpower. We have three adults, a teenager and two dogs and mine is never less than £200. Mind you the teenager could eat and drink for five. [lol] You're definitely tempted when you shop so I think I shall be like you Alice and start using Tesco.com.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
02-Jun-08, 22:09
£280 a month.I like ma bargains,here I'm an Ayrshire man,the only folk who can drop a 10p and it hits the back of their heids afore it reaches the ground. Ma shoppin does increase in price by £2.80 a month when the new Viz comes out.

Julia
02-Jun-08, 22:10
You're definitely tempted when you shop so I think I shall be like you Alice and start using Tesco.com.

I too could go to Tesco for milk and bread and end up spending £100 so I started using Tesco.com a few weeks back and I must say that it has really helped keep the cost of shopping down, I tend to be far more aware of what's going in my 'basket' as you can see the running total, I plan my meals and only buy what I need and using the special offers if possible, I use the second cheapest delivery slot which is £3.99 and more often than not my shopping arrives early. I always manage to find an online voucher code for a discount off the final total too.

Venture
02-Jun-08, 22:31
I too could go to Tesco for milk and bread and end up spending £100 so I started using Tesco.com a few weeks back and I must say that it has really helped keep the cost of shopping down, I tend to be far more aware of what's going in my 'basket' as you can see the running total, I plan my meals and only buy what I need and using the special offers if possible, I use the second cheapest delivery slot which is £3.99 and more often than not my shopping arrives early. I always manage to find an online voucher code for a discount off the final total too.

Thanks Julia that's good to know. My problem is that I like looking round the other sections apart from the food. You get some really good bargains in the clothes department and I like the £1 boxes. I think Ill try the food online this week to see if it makes a difference but I don't know if Ill be able to keep away from the rest of the place without having withdrawal systems. :lol:

Boozeburglar
02-Jun-08, 22:56
I think what is more important is how much waste you produce

We only fill one bag a week

changilass
02-Jun-08, 23:24
I can fill 4 carriers of rubish just from unpacking the groceries, to much bliddy packaging grrrrrr

JamesMcVean
03-Jun-08, 00:15
Reading this thread makes me think it is no wonder that the likes of Tesco can make so many millions of pounds profit!!!!!!!!

I am in the £400-500 a month with me , wife and 3 kids and a wee dug...

Lolabelle
03-Jun-08, 04:03
I went shopping yesterday and spent $399.00AU!!
I don't shop everyweek and as I have food intolerences I sometimes have to buy the more expensive stuff. But nearly $400.00 / 195 GBP???? And I am mostly just one, as Dave is on the road 5 days out of 7, and then we quite often eat out.
But it was about 3 weeks since I did a good shop. And I don't buy dog or bird food in that amount either.
Between food and fuel it's getting too expensive to live.

PS, I did buy Dave some stuff to take with him, and that isn't cheap either, but it's still better than paying $4 for a bottle of water, when I can buy it in Woolworths for $1.20.