PDA

View Full Version : Nuisance Sales Calls

Lumberjack
01-Jun-08, 20:17
To follow on from a different thread, I would like some advice about nuisance sales calls from one company in particular.

I have registered with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS), and this seems to be working OK, except for one stubborn company.

They go by the name of "Future Homes Aberdeen" and are trying to sell conservatories. I cannot find this company, either on the Internet or in the BT directory, and assume that they are hiding under the umbrella of a parent company. In order to raise a complaint it is necessary to know the name of the company and a contact phone number, but as the company does not seem to exist, then making a complaint is difficult.
The sales callers are very cagy when asked this information, and with a quick apology and assurance that I will not be contacted again, they hang up. Needless to say a few days later another caller tries again.

I am finding this a bit tiresome now and would genuinely appreciate any advice. I can handle the sales callers myself but am worried about my 76 year old mother. I would hate to come home some day and find a dozen conservatories in my back garden.

bekisman
01-Jun-08, 22:28
Hi Lumberjack, had the same call; it's 'feature' Homes in Aberdeen , cover name for Weatherseal, have a look at this link and search for 'feature'..

By the way with the TPS, (which is the Direct Marketing Association) have companies pay them (TPS) to go on their lists, if a company 'aint interested, it won't be on the TPS list and so nothing happens - I've got a dozen letters from TPS saying 'sorry unable to locate this company' - even when I've provided the Number, name, company details!

http://www.blagger.com/db4/company_id/2920/companyname/Weatherseal-Windows.html (http://www.blagger.com/db4/company_id/2920/companyname/Weatherseal-Windows.html)

hotrod4
02-Jun-08, 10:59
To follow on from a different thread, I would like some advice about nuisance sales calls from one company in particular.

I have registered with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS), and this seems to be working OK, except for one stubborn company.

They go by the name of "Future Homes Aberdeen" and are trying to sell conservatories. I cannot find this company, either on the Internet or in the BT directory, and assume that they are hiding under the umbrella of a parent company. In order to raise a complaint it is necessary to know the name of the company and a contact phone number, but as the company does not seem to exist, then making a complaint is difficult.
The sales callers are very cagy when asked this information, and with a quick apology and assurance that I will not be contacted again, they hang up. Needless to say a few days later another caller tries again.

I am finding this a bit tiresome now and would genuinely appreciate any advice. I can handle the sales callers myself but am worried about my 76 year old mother. I would hate to come home some day and find a dozen conservatories in my back garden.

If you contact BT you can get the "choose to refuse" feature free for a month.
It is a chargable service but if you explain elderly mother etc they will give you it free for a month trial.
Its a great system you can block their number getting through to you.
When they try to contact you again they get a message saying "the number you are dialling does not wish to receive calls from you, please hang up" or something along that lines.
Normally after the free month they will have given up.
Good luck,hope this helps.

northener
02-Jun-08, 15:35
Unfortunately, the pondlife will never play by the rules. So any attempt to complain about them will be ruthlessly ignored by the offending company.

I was badgered by an Asian finance company who insisted in greeting me with "Hello, my name is Colin Smith (or similar) for weeks on end. All I did was set up 'caller display' on my phone. If i don't recognise the number, it doesn't get answered. All I do is listen in on call screening on the answerphone.
If I'm not happy, I ignore the call completely. If it was important - they'd leave a message....which they never do.

joxville
02-Jun-08, 15:49
I do the same as Northener and ignore the call or if the display says number withheld. I got a letter from my bank asking me to contact them because they had been unable to reach me by phone. I told them I never answer withheld numbers-if they can't provide me with their details then I'm not going to answer what could be a cold caller. Since that conversation they now display number if calling. I've also noticed since changing my mobile to Orange from O2 that I get a lot more withheld numbers and dodgy texts so my number has obviously been sold on.

bekisman
02-Jun-08, 16:55
Has anyone got or tried one of these? be interested to hear..

http://www.callblocker.co.uk/workstwo.htm

elamanya
03-Jun-08, 07:22
i answer then i ask the caller for there home phone number and what time they finish there work, and tell them i will ring them at home , works every time

Fluff
03-Jun-08, 08:59
tell them also you either a) rent the property or b) you are on the 3rd floor etc.. of a block of flats lol

honey
03-Jun-08, 09:15
we had calls from one call centre all the time who wouldnt take the hint. They phoned one day in the middle of and Old Firm Match, and we had a few people over to watch it.

Hubby answered the phone and just set it in the middle of the floor. I think us all shouting at the ref and players was enough to do the trick.. they never called back!! :lol:

*Martin*
03-Jun-08, 13:29
Tell them your a squatter! For some reason no one wants to sell anything to squatters?

Cattach
03-Jun-08, 14:38

They also seem to sell Kitchens - when I said to themabout TPS and I was reporting them they backed off and said they would tell Steven in Thurso. Wonder if the Steven was anything to do with Asley Anne Kitchens?!!

Thumper
03-Jun-08, 15:57
I am the worlds worst at getting rid of these callers,I am just too soft and end up listening to all their speel and then spend 20 minutes saying thanks but no thanks...BUT now I have a secret weapon...Thumper junior is a dab hand at being blunt and too the point and gets rid of them in seconds!What a wonderful son I have :) x

MadPict
03-Jun-08, 16:25
"The Complainers" on Five TV with Dom Joly had several ways of dealing with these calls - Cold Call Revenge - quite funny to hear the callers reactions.
Wish I had remembered this when i got a call the other day from Digital Satellite Services about my Sky box warranty...

Valerie Campbell
03-Jun-08, 18:38
We keep getting a call from a number that comes up as International on the caller display and like so many others, if it's withheld I ignore it. If someone genuinely want to speak to me or mine, they'll leave a message. This International one though is really persistent, now on a daily basis. I think the next time they call, I'll ask how they got the number and tell them to go away. If they call again after that, I might well just blow a whistle in their ear!!

Lumberjack
03-Jun-08, 19:54
Thank you very much for your advice -- There are a few hints and tips I will try.

Funnily enough we received a call yesterday from Cornhill Insurance.
They told my mother that our household insurance was due for renewal next month and were offering a quote. I asked my mother for the phone and told the advisor that we have registered with the TPS. The advisor was quite arrogant in telling me that as they received our details from J.D. Williams (a catalogue company) they were exempt from TPS guidelines.

(It seems my mother forgot to put a tick in the box that said "we will pass on your details to carefully selected companies" when ordering the catalogue).

Oh dear, it looks as though we will be bombarded with unsolicited rubbish for the next 5 years.
Does anyone have a spare cardboard box I could climb into until then?

Tristan
04-Jun-08, 20:49
Hi Lumberjack, had the same call; it's 'feature' Homes in Aberdeen , cover name for Weatherseal, have a look at this link and search for 'feature'..

By the way with the TPS, (which is the Direct Marketing Association) have companies pay them (TPS) to go on their lists, if a company 'aint interested, it won't be on the TPS list and so nothing happens - I've got a dozen letters from TPS saying 'sorry unable to locate this company' - even when I've provided the Number, name, company details!

http://www.blagger.com/db4/company_id/2920/companyname/Weatherseal-Windows.html (http://www.blagger.com/db4/company_id/2920/companyname/Weatherseal-Windows.html)

I know you don't want to play games but it would be fun to telll them you need new windows, a conservatory etc and set up an appointment. Make sure you book it for a time when you are out for the evening.....[lol]

Bobinovich
04-Jun-08, 22:11
LOL and then do exactly the same for the rearranged appointment [lol]

jings00
04-Jun-08, 22:20
i will ignore the phone too, and will give my mobile as contact, then a message can be left if it is important and i don't recognise the number.
i get unsolicited mail too, i will mark it return to sender and post it back.
even betterware, i asked not to get their catalogue any more, i dont want it, never asked for it and won't be ordering anything from it...no offence to the folk who sell the stuff like. but still i get a catalogue. it goes straight into the recycling box now.

Tristan
05-Jun-08, 06:55
i get unsolicited mail too, i will mark it return to sender and post it back.

Much better than marking it return to sender is take their pre-payed envelopes, stuff them full with all they sent you and all your other junk mail then send it back to them (the heavier it is the more it cost them). That we it hit them in their pocket book and supports the Royal Mail at the same time.:lol: