PDA

View Full Version : In the Shadow of the Moon, is this humankind's greatest achievement?

Moi x
01-Jun-08, 02:20
Ok, so I watched Nancy and Britain's Got Talent tonight, but I also watched Dr Who and In The Shadow of the Moon (http://www.channel4.com/film/reviews/film.jsp?id=163337) which featured original footage from NASA and interviews with veterans from the Apollo missions.

This got me thinking......

What do you think is the greatest achievement of humankind to date?

Travelling to the moon and walking on its surface is surely a candidate for this honour.

There must be some medical candidates such as heart transplants and cures for diseases that used to claim many millions of victims.

How should we weight the arts in our considerations? Is putting a man on the moon a greater achievement than a Beethoven symphony or a great painting?

Moi x

Lord Flasheart
01-Jun-08, 09:35
I would go for the Apollo program.

To do it in the time they had was just amazing, to think that no human has left earth orbit since 1972 is a sad indictment of how we let the achievement slide.

Just waiting for the conspiracy theorists to jump in though .. ;)

brokencross
01-Jun-08, 09:51

The moon does not exist.

MadPict
01-Jun-08, 10:22
I watched it this documentary as well. I'm not sure about it being man's greatest achievement (without the Wright Brothers first flight we'd still be Earth bound) but I rate it as one of the greatest memories of my life (so far). As a 13 yr old lad I followed the Apollo program and was wide awake at 4am when they landed on the Moon, watching the TV with my dad.
Interesting documentary though....

joxville
01-Jun-08, 11:02
I would go for the Apollo program.

To do it in the time they had was just amazing, to think that no human has left earth orbit since 1972 is a sad indictment of how we let the achievement slide.

The moon does not exist.

Sorry to disappoint you both but we don't exist either:D

Lord Flasheart
01-Jun-08, 11:04
I watched it this documentary as well. I'm not sure about it being man's greatest achievement (without the Wright Brothers first flight we'd still be Earth bound) but I rate it as one of the greatest memories of my life (so far). As a 13 yr old lad I followed the Apollo program and was wide awake at 4am when they landed on the Moon, watching the TV with my dad.

You might like this site, I have a couple as an investment for the day there are no moonwalkers .. http://www.moonpans.com/signed/

Lord Flasheart
01-Jun-08, 11:05
Sorry to disappoint you both but we don't exist either:D

Who said that ?? .. *Head swivels rapidly*

joxville
01-Jun-08, 11:06

I'd have to go along with Madpict's statement about the Wright Brothers.

Thanks M.P., you've answered a question I've held for years. My Dad got me out of bed as a 4 yr old to watch it, I've wondered for so long what time it was we watched it.

Lord Flasheart
01-Jun-08, 11:11
I think that powered flight was the Wright Brothers territory but rocketry was pioneered by Robert Goddard, anyway if I had my choice I would want to see a Saturn V fly, still the most powerful machine built by man at 175 million horsepower at liftoff.

golach
01-Jun-08, 11:33
In my opinion John Logie Baird's accredited invention, the TV has been the greatest invention in our world. Televison has affected the World more than any Space Programme.

Lord Flasheart
01-Jun-08, 11:47
In my opinion John Logie Baird's invention, the TV has been the greatest invention in our world. Televison has affected the World more than any Space Programme.

Hmm, I would say the Space programme out a lot of useful technolgies and materials into the world ahead of their time. Television is responsible for the like of Gladiators, Dancing on Ice and *shudders* Big Brother .. :eek:

I have never been inspired by TV but I have been inspired by the Apollo programme and the astronauts.

I might change my choice anyway to .. BEER.

golach
01-Jun-08, 11:58
Hmm, I would say the Space programme out a lot of useful technolgies and materials into the world ahead of their time. Television is responsible for the like of Gladiators, Dancing on Ice and *shudders* Big Brother .. :eek:

I have never been inspired by TV but I have been inspired by the Apollo programme and the astronauts.

I might change my choice anyway to .. BEER.
I would agree with your choice of examples of the worst side of Tevelvision. But Television has been responsible for many other better items. The ability it see what is going on anywhere in the World at the touch of a button, without Televison we would never have even seen or heard about the NASA space programmes in the first place.
I am glad we agree to a subject dear to my heart though........Beer[lol]

MadPict
01-Jun-08, 13:29
Without the space program we would not have Velcro....

...amongst many other 'inventions'.

MadPict
01-Jun-08, 13:48
You might like this site, I have a couple as an investment for the day there are no moonwalkers .. http://www.moonpans.com/signed/

Impressive images (and some impressive prices!) - the QT 360 VR panoramas are quite cool - now if only I had seen this site a couple of days ago it might have been an idea for my upcoming birthday....

horseman
01-Jun-08, 16:47
Super thread Moi x.
Who dare quantify it?
A good tune or picture-against the "enormous quantifable" effort to get to the moon? + what may lay beyond?

brokencross
01-Jun-08, 17:11
Super thread Moi x.
Who dare quantify it?
A good tune or picture-against the "enormous quantifable" effort to get to the moon? + what may lay beyond?

The loo on the International Space Station is broken.
Can't get beyond that, certainly couldn't tackle the 10 months trip to Mars without a working loo. Little things mean a lot.

dessie
01-Jun-08, 17:54
i think the moon landing was a great achievement i also took a picture from the tv on that day....and still have. it...

northener
01-Jun-08, 18:15
Man's greatest achievement is the indefatigable need to question everything, as opposed to blind acceptance of the current state.

That ability is unique and sets us apart from all other living things.

joxville
01-Jun-08, 18:37
Man's greatest achievement is the indefatigable need to question everything, as opposed to blind acceptance of the current state.

Northener, you and George Galloway are only two people I know to use the word 'indefatigable'. Are you actually one and the same person?

stomp stomp stomp.......awa to find a dictionary.:D

brokencross
01-Jun-08, 18:42
stomp stomp stomp.......awa to find a dictionary.:D

Stomp :- a jazz composition, esp. in early jazz, marked by a driving rhythm and a fast tempo.
6. a dance to this music, usually marked by heavy stamping of the feet

George Brims
01-Jun-08, 19:47
Without the space program we would not have Velcro....

...amongst many other 'inventions'.
Seeing as Velcro was invented in 1941 by a Swiss engineer, I doubt the veracity of that assertion. The reverse might be more accurate.

There used to be huge list of inventions somewhere on the internet, attributed to the space program, every single one of them wrong. The classic one you hear is Teflon for non-stick pans. That came out of the nuclear weapons projects.

brokencross
01-Jun-08, 19:50
There used to be huge list of inventions somewhere on the internet, attributed to the space program, every single one of them wrong. The classic one you hear is Teflon for non-stick pans. That came out of the nuclear weapons projects.

Do you reckon these urban myths were put about to try and justify the great expense of space travel; i.e. the offshoots benefit us all.

George Brims
01-Jun-08, 19:53
In my opinion John Logie Baird's invention, the TV has been the greatest invention in our world. Televison has affected the World more than any Space Programme.
Baird didn't "invent" TV any more than Edison or Swann "invented" the light bulb. The idea was there long before, and a lot of different people contributed to the eventual development. Baird's system was the first one to work, but it was totally a technological dead end, with all those whirling disks and such. Marconi developing radio, and even Watten's own Alexander Bain, who first thought of splitting an image into strips for transmission (over a telegraph line) are examples of people who helped "invent" TV.

MadPict
01-Jun-08, 21:26
Vini, Vidi, Velcro...

Seeing as Velcro was invented in 1941 by a Swiss engineer, I doubt the veracity of that assertion. The reverse might be more accurate.

George,
You will note I stated "Without the space program we would not have Velcro...." not that it was invented by the Space race. It's use in aerospace brought it into 'common use'. Perhaps I should have said "Without the space program we may not have Velcro...."

As for other inventions there are many which resulted due to the space program.

From the Wikipedia entry on Velcro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velcro)...

De Mestral got patents in all these countries in short order as he expected a high demand immediately. Partly due to its appearance though, velcro's integration into the textile industry took time. At the time, velcro looked like it had been made from left-over bits of cheap fabric, and thus was not sewn into clothing or used widely when it debuted in the early 1960's.[8] It was also viewed as impractical.[8]

Velcro got its first break when it was used in the aerospace industry to help astronauts maneuver in and out of bulky space suits. However, this reinforced the view among the populace that velcro was something with a very limited utilitarian uses. The next major use velcro saw was with skiers, who saw the similarities between their costume and the astronauts, and thus saw the advantages of a suit that was easier to get in and out of. Scuba and marine gear followed soon after. After seeing astronauts storing food pouches on walls[9] and stand upright in the weightless atmosphere with the aid of velcro, children's clothing makers came onboard.[8] As velcro only became widely used after NASA's adoption of it, NASA is popularly credited with the invention of velcro.

:)

TBH
01-Jun-08, 21:29
'Mankind's' greatest achievment will be it's extinction.;)

ywindythesecond
01-Jun-08, 21:53

My mother was a nurse in a Geriatric hospital in the East end of Glasgow, and she was on duty the night of the landing. A TV had been brought in, mostly for the staff to watch, but one old lady asked my mother what was happening. She said;-

" Well gran, they have just landed men on the moon and it is on the TV"

"My my" said Gran " The folks in the high flats will have a great view."

George Brims
01-Jun-08, 22:24
Do you reckon these urban myths were put about to try and justify the great expense of space travel; i.e. the offshoots benefit us all.

I'm not sure - I think some of it is exaggeration at budget renewal time, the rest just the usual way urban legends grow like gossip.

BTW "great expense" is all relative. One Apollo moon shot = 3 months' cosmetics for the women of America = 30 seconds of the Vietnam war, which of course was raging at the same time.

scorrie
02-Jun-08, 00:23
The Moon landings have done nothing to advance the human race. Almost 40 years on from the first successful mission, the world is a shambles.

If the Moon landings have taught us anything, it is that the human race is obsessed with chasing notions of no great priority/worth. Shall we spend money on feeding the planet, or chase a pile of worthless dust in the distance? Shall we tackle UK poverty or pretend we have done something worthwhile by building a Millennium dome?

We have managed to rape and pollute the planet, millions have died in wars, religion and skin colour divides the world. It is akin to being given the keys to the most luxurious penthouse and then kicking off by cacking in every corner, killing the room service staff, barricading yourself in and then discovering that you cannot eat money.

Animals are dying off, mostly due to our quest for "achievement". If we are to avoid joining them, our greatest achievement will be realising that WE are the sole barrier to the world being a better place. John Logie Baird may have put TV into our homes but we have yet to see the bigger picture.

Margaret M.
02-Jun-08, 03:43
Scorrie for President!

Boozeburglar
02-Jun-08, 08:30

I disagree.

You have not seen my dog looking at the food cupboard immediately after eating, then in my eyes with her eyebrows raised, and then back at her empty bowl, then back at me and the cupboard.

For me television is one of the key inventions, along with telephony. However, as achievements of mankind I would suppose that the eradication of a disease on a global scale would have to be up there. Going to the Moon puts me neither up nor down, though I appreciate it put some people up, who then came down.

Lord Flasheart
02-Jun-08, 09:31
The Moon landings have done nothing to advance the human race. Almost 40 years on from the first successful mission, the world is a shambles.

If the Moon landings have taught us anything, it is that the human race is obsessed with chasing notions of no great priority/worth. Shall we spend money on feeding the planet, or chase a pile of worthless dust in the distance? Shall we tackle UK poverty or pretend we have done something worthwhile by building a Millennium dome?

We have managed to rape and pollute the planet, millions have died in wars, religion and skin colour divides the world. It is akin to being given the keys to the most luxurious penthouse and then kicking off by cacking in every corner, killing the room service staff, barricading yourself in and then discovering that you cannot eat money.

Animals are dying off, mostly due to our quest for "achievement". If we are to avoid joining them, our greatest achievement will be realising that WE are the sole barrier to the world being a better place. John Logie Baird may have put TV into our homes but we have yet to see the bigger picture.

I disagree with such a pessimistic outlook on life, if that was the defining human attitude then we would still be sitting in caves without fire. As Dave Scott said on Apollo 15 "Man must explore and this is exploration at its finest". The Apollo moon program was the human spirit at its finest, it drove us on and was achieved against all the odds. If you had watched In the Shadow of the Moon you would have heard the astronauts talk about how fragile the earth is and how it brought home to them how insignificant we are in the scheme of things. Ironically they would agree with some of your opinions as they are the only ones to have looked back at the earth and truly understood its fragility and that it needs to be taken care of.

It really gets me down when the doom merchants go down this line, I am well aware of the problems of the world but why oh why do we have to play down our achievements ??, I have read a lot about the Apollo program and I am inspired by it. Does this mean I dont appreciate the problems of the world ??, of course not. But my parents tell me that when the first moon landing was made the whole world watched, for a moment we were all united. Which cant be bad in my book.

And by the way as I recall the dinosaurs died out without our help, we are not solely responsible for the state of the plant as Mother Nature works her wicked little ways too. By all means acknowldege and care about the problems of the world but take a moment and allow yourself to be inspired by what man has achieved.

MadPict
02-Jun-08, 09:47
One further point to the above post - on their return and subsequent world tours the lunar astronauts were greeted by the same phrase everywhere they went - "We did it".

So, if it brought all the nations and religions of the world together for a fleeting moment in the history of this planet, maybe it wasn't such a bad thing...

Lord Flasheart
02-Jun-08, 10:18
One further point to the above post - on their return and subsequent world tours the lunar astronauts were greeted by the same phrase everywhere they went - "We did it".

So, if it brought all the nations and religions of the world together for a fleeting moment in the history of this planet, maybe it wasn't such a bad thing...

Yup .. exactly it for me.

Found the quote that Dave Scott (Apollo 15 Commander) used to say to doubters of the programme .. "The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be lighted"

They were exceptional men but my favourite has to be Apollo 12 Commander Pete Conrad, when doing the pysch tests various cards were presented to them and they had to say what they saw. After remarking about the female anatomy on every card the by now, hacked off examiner showed him a blank one, Conrad squinted and replied "Dunno .. its upside down". This incident was the inspiration for a scene in Armageddon where Steve Buscemi's character remarks "breasts" to every card.

scorrie
02-Jun-08, 13:34
I disagree with such a pessimistic outlook on life, if that was the defining human attitude then we would still be sitting in caves without fire. As Dave Scott said on Apollo 15 "Man must explore and this is exploration at its finest". The Apollo moon program was the human spirit at its finest, it drove us on and was achieved against all the odds. If you had watched In the Shadow of the Moon you would have heard the astronauts talk about how fragile the earth is and how it brought home to them how insignificant we are in the scheme of things. Ironically they would agree with some of your opinions as they are the only ones to have looked back at the earth and truly understood its fragility and that it needs to be taken care of.

It really gets me down when the doom merchants go down this line, I am well aware of the problems of the world but why oh why do we have to play down our achievements ??, I have read a lot about the Apollo program and I am inspired by it. Does this mean I dont appreciate the problems of the world ??, of course not. But my parents tell me that when the first moon landing was made the whole world watched, for a moment we were all united. Which cant be bad in my book.

And by the way as I recall the dinosaurs died out without our help, we are not solely responsible for the state of the plant as Mother Nature works her wicked little ways too. By all means acknowldege and care about the problems of the world but take a moment and allow yourself to be inspired by what man has achieved.

What makes you think I DIDN'T watch the program?

The original question was whether putting men on the moon was our greatest achievement as a species. If bringing the world together for a moment is our greatest achievement, then I don't really rate it as something to shout about. Had it ended the Vietnam War early (or something similar) and saved many lives, I would have been more impressed.

I am not a doom merchant, I just look at the state of the world and accept it for what I see it to be. I just don't think there is much for us to be particularly proud about as a whole. There have been great inventions, individual triumphs, inspiring tales but a lot of it has not brought any great benefit to the world. Everest was climbed, a mighty task, but at the end of the day it is the mountaineer wishing to conquer it simply because "It was there", rather than for any benefit it brought to mankind. The moon landing's were simply the ultimate "Mountain" in my mind and some 40 years on there is nothing we can really say that would be worse now if the landings had not happened. If a cure for AIDS or CANCER is discovered, it would be many, many times the achievement of the Moon Landings. While we wait for that to happen, I nominate advancement in medicine as mankind's greatest achievement.

Lord Flasheart
02-Jun-08, 17:37
What makes you think I DIDN'T watch the program?

The original question was whether putting men on the moon was our greatest achievement as a species. If bringing the world together for a moment is our greatest achievement, then I don't really rate it as something to shout about. Had it ended the Vietnam War early (or something similar) and saved many lives, I would have been more impressed.

I am not a doom merchant, I just look at the state of the world and accept it for what I see it to be. I just don't think there is much for us to be particularly proud about as a whole. There have been great inventions, individual triumphs, inspiring tales but a lot of it has not brought any great benefit to the world. Everest was climbed, a mighty task, but at the end of the day it is the mountaineer wishing to conquer it simply because "It was there", rather than for any benefit it brought to mankind. The moon landing's were simply the ultimate "Mountain" in my mind and some 40 years on there is nothing we can really say that would be worse now if the landings had not happened. If a cure for AIDS or CANCER is discovered, it would be many, many times the achievement of the Moon Landings. While we wait for that to happen, I nominate advancement in medicine as mankind's greatest achievement.

I didnt assume you didnt watch the landings I just dont understand someone who cant feel inspired by the whole event even in a small way. If you want to saunter on being miserable and feeling that there is not a lot in the world to be proud of then go ahead, but I do feel sorry for you, what a bleak pessimistic outlook you have. Has it not occured that optimism and determination are what has driven the human race to its greatest achivements ??, I quite agree that a cure for Cancer would be possibly the ultimate achievement and I acknoweldge that there are other events, people and inventions I admire but my personal opinion is that the fact that men stood and looked back at their own world was our greatest achivement and for a brief moment we were all united in wonder at it. You dont agree and thats fair enough but I dont want to join the pity party ok ??

Oscar Wilde said it best .. "We are all in the gutter but some of us look at the stars"

I know which group I would rather be in.

scorrie
02-Jun-08, 18:21
I didnt assume you didnt watch the landings I just dont understand someone who cant feel inspired by the whole event even in a small way. If you want to saunter on being miserable and feeling that there is not a lot in the world to be proud of then go ahead, but I do feel sorry for you, what a bleak pessimistic outlook you have. Has it not occured that optimism and determination are what has driven the human race to its greatest achivements ??, I quite agree that a cure for Cancer would be possibly the ultimate achievement and I acknoweldge that there are other events, people and inventions I admire but my personal opinion is that the fact that men stood and looked back at their own world was our greatest achivement and for a brief moment we were all united in wonder at it. You dont agree and thats fair enough but I dont want to join the pity party ok ??

Oscar Wilde said it best .. "We are all in the gutter but some of us look at the stars"

I am not asking anyone to join the "Pity Party" and I find the notion that you feel sorry for me somewhat assumptive and certainly unwarranted. You do not know enough about me to make the statement and I find it an annoying occurrence on forums when that sort of statement is brought in, seemingly in an effort to support an opposing opinion.

The Moon landings were exciting at the time, but that was an era without computers, satellite news gathering etc. We didn't even have a colour TV!!

I think you would have to admit that such an event would have way less impact on a modern audience who are now well versed in the possibilities that technology offers.

Is it not somewhat disappointing to consider that we had our greatest achievement some 40 years ago and all the advancement in technology since that time has not allowed us to benefit from/build on that achievement?

Please try staying with the argument, rather than condemning, pitying my personality!!

hotrod4
02-Jun-08, 18:31
I

Could that group be "The pretenders"? as Chrissy Hynd sang that same line on their single "message of love" :)
Mans greatest achievement must be T'internet after all without it we wouldnt be discussing what mans best achievement is :)
Womans greatest achievement: My mother giving birth to me!!!! ( I know I am going to get slated for that one!!!!!)

Maybe best achievement would be armor plating after my last comment.

Lord Flasheart
02-Jun-08, 18:41
I am not asking anyone to join the "Pity Party" and I find the notion that you feel sorry for me somewhat assumptive and certainly unwarranted. You do not know enough about me to make the statement and I find it an annoying occurrence on forums when that sort of statement is brought in, seemingly in an effort to support an opposing opinion.

The Moon landings were exciting at the time, but that was an era without computers, satellite news gathering etc. We didn't even have a colour TV!!

I think you would have to admit that such an event would have way less impact on a modern audience who are now well versed in the possibilities that technology offers.

Is it not somewhat disappointing to consider that we had our greatest achievement some 40 years ago and all the advancement in technology since that time has not allowed us to benefit from/build on that achievement?

Please try staying with the argument, rather than condemning, pitying my personality!!

If you find my opinion annoying then fair enough, I am not going to go round in circles but if you post your thoughts then expect people to comment on them, the fact is I find your view of the world pessimistic but thats just me. Its just my opinion and not worth much in the great scheme of things. Im not condemning your personality just commenting on your opinion and outlook regarding one subject. Forums are a boiling pot of opinions, thats the fun of them for me.

As for staying with the "argument" .. were we having one ??

Lord Flasheart
02-Jun-08, 18:51
Could that group be "The pretenders"? as Chrissy Hynd sang that same line on their single "message of love" :)
Mans greatest achievement must be T'internet after all without it we wouldnt be discussing what mans best achievement is :)
Womans greatest achievement: My mother giving birth to me!!!! ( I know I am going to get slated for that one!!!!!)

Maybe best achievement would be armor plating after my last comment.

The Oscar Wilde quote is here .. http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/o/oscar_wilde.html .. first one in the "W" list, although a good time can be had reading down to it !!

You copuld be right about the net, I have just been looking at some rather attractive girlies .. ;) .. as for womans greatest achievement there is no need to fear being slated, be proud !!

MadPict
02-Jun-08, 19:18

Once the Apollo 11 mission had returned, interest in the following missions waned, peaking only for the disaster of 13, and then gradually reducing through 14,15,16,& 17.
Whether a new set of missions to land on the Moon or even Mars would catch the imagination of today's generation I'm not sure. I think it would if such a project was multinational - but how many people even know that another shuttle mission is underway? The only time we hear about the current missions is when something goes wrong.
I admit I am a space nut - I lived through the high (and low) days of Apollo and achievements and disasters of the Shuttle missions so may have a biased viewpoint but I respect that many feel it was a waste of money. But someone pointed out it was a drop in the ocean compared to the money spent on the Vietnam War.

Lord Flasheart
03-Jun-08, 08:05
Once the Apollo 11 mission had returned, interest in the following missions waned, peaking only for the disaster of 13, and then gradually reducing through 14,15,16,& 17.
Whether a new set of missions to land on the Moon or even Mars would catch the imagination of today's generation I'm not sure. I think it would if such a project was multinational - but how many people even know that another shuttle mission is underway? The only time we hear about the current missions is when something goes wrong.
I admit I am a space nut - I lived through the high (and low) days of Apollo and achievements and disasters of the Shuttle missions so may have a biased viewpoint but I respect that many feel it was a waste of money. But someone pointed out it was a drop in the ocean compared to the money spent on the Vietnam War.

I am already glued to the new moon landing program .. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/constellation/main/index.html .. the first engine for the first stage rocket has been tested and the crew module (which looks suspiciously like an Apollo one) is in mock up stage. Other systems are progressing along. They plan to be back there by 2020, and then onto Mars.

MP, you might enjoy this link to the Apollo photo archive .. http://www.apolloarchive.com/ .. amazing pictures.

Moi x
21-Jul-09, 00:27
Ok, so I watched Nancy and Britain's Got Talent tonight, but I also watched Dr Who and In The Shadow of the Moon (http://www.channel4.com/film/reviews/film.jsp?id=163337) which featured original footage from NASA and interviews with veterans from the Apollo missions.

This got me thinking......

What do you think is the greatest achievement of humankind to date?

Travelling to the moon and walking on its surface is surely a candidate for this honour.

There must be some medical candidates such as heart transplants and cures for diseases that used to claim many millions of victims.

How should we weight the arts in our considerations? Is putting a man on the moon a greater achievement than a Beethoven symphony or a great painting?

Moi x
I apologise for digging up a thread from a year ago, but today is a special day and therefore I feel justified in doing it.

In The Shadow of the Moon (http://www.channel4.com/film/reviews/film.jsp?id=163337) is on Channel 4 right now.

lister
21-Jul-09, 00:54
I apologise for digging up a thread from a year ago, but today is a special day and therefore I feel justified in doing it.

In The Shadow of the Moon (http://www.channel4.com/film/reviews/film.jsp?id=163337) is on Channel 4 right now.
Sounds interesting,will watch at 1.00am on 4+1 thanks,and yes i agree it is a special day!:lol:

butterfly
21-Jul-09, 00:55

Thanks for the reminder.

lister
21-Jul-09, 01:06
From prev threads on this topic we all need to take into consideration the other type of achievements mans been capable like the colour grey/beige or boredom or torture or global annihilation yes there is a lot of scope for real achievements from very different angle's that's the human way ay?

Maybe our real achievement has yet to come and will be called compassion for all no matter what!
Equality!
Empathy!

There are some real achievements!

Metalattakk
21-Jul-09, 03:38
Yer all talking absolute pish.

Mankind's greatest achievement is Iron Maiden's first album.

Obviously. ;)

George Brims
21-Jul-09, 04:27
In my opinion John Logie Baird's accredited invention, the TV has been the greatest invention in our world. Televison has affected the World more than any Space Programme.
Baird didn't really "invent" TV, any more than Edison or Swan "invented" the light bulb. He developed the first working type, though in the end it was a technological dead end. Alexander Bain actually contributed to the development of television, by being the first person to send a raster-scanned image remotely. It was a static image across wire rather than a moving one across radio waves, but it was a stage in the *development* of TV.

cullpacket
21-Jul-09, 04:49
Your right Scorrie what have we acheved, It should be whats the worst inventions, electricity has ruined the planet we have nothing to be proud of,

2little2late
21-Jul-09, 10:01
Shame the moon landing was faked.

redeyedtreefrog
22-Jul-09, 19:14
Short of the Moon landings, I'd say the eradication of smallpox in 1979. It was a huge killer disease and the only one we've totally got rid of.

rich
22-Jul-09, 20:24
Greatest acheivment?

I prefer the greatest flops in history.

Flop 1: Public libraries. All this free information should have led to an upsurgence of socialism and communism as the huddled masses discover Socrates and Machiavelli and set off to right the social wrongs of the century. Instead they went for Mills and Boone romances or Tarzan flics or genuine horrors like The Sound of Music.

Flop 2: Electricity. Limitless power for rubbish. ALmost everything I hate in the modern world is fuelled by electricity, a ghastly harsh light in the home, ear shattering boom boxes, the loss of the night sky due to light pollution. Bring back candles.

Flop 3: The internal combustion engine. I rest my case. Carnage on the roads, destrucion of neighboirhoods, major pollution - all this so your granny and grandpa can go for a Sunday afternoon drive pranging pedestrians and cyclists.

Flop 4:Universities (see Flop 1) - pure propagators of the higher mumbo jumbo and destroyers of originality.

Flop 5: Television. If it bleeds it leads is the philosophy of TV journalism resulting in global ignorance.

Any other candidates?