PDA

View Full Version : Sinclair Family

tigger2u
31-May-08, 23:30
:DHello everyone,
I've only just found this site and I know I'll be back more and more.
I've recently found out that my family history takes me out of Glasgow and up to Wick and I am wondering if anyone can help me. :)

My Great Grandfather was David Sinclair, a baker, born 13/5/1881 in Dempster St, Pulteneytown, Wick. He married Mary Brown Corbett on 25 October 1901 in Glasgow. He has also been recorded as born in Thurso, is this all the same place?

His father & mother was William Sinclair (baker/journeyman) and Catherine Forbes (or Forbis) all i know of them so far is that they married in Wick on 7/11/1878 and as far as i know so far had 1 child.

I'd love any infomation anyone may have and if anyone know what profession a Journeyman is please let me know as I've never heard of this before. :confused

I have been looking around the site and i am especially enjoying the old pictures of Wick. Maybe one day I'll get up there and see it for myself.

Many thanks
x

Oddquine
01-Jun-08, 00:25
A Journeyman is a qualified tradesman, having undertaken the full apprenticeship for whatever trade and worked at that trade. The next level up was a Master.

My own father was a carpenter (journeyman). Masters tended to be employers rather than employees.

The descriptions are remnants of the old guild system of Apprentices, journeymen and masters. In the Guild days a journeyman would have to submit a sample of his work to the craft guild for approval. If this sample was approved, the journeyman could become a master and setup his own business.

tigger2u
01-Jun-08, 11:24
:)Thank you for that info. I had one that was a Carter too and I had to ask around for that too. lol

trinkie
01-Jun-08, 13:50
Hallo

If you go back to the pics of Wick,, there is one - recently submitted, showing Dempster Street Wick. It looks up and half way along on the right there was a Baker - E.Campbell, that is likely where your ancestor worked, though there were several Bakers in the town

Wick is the County Town of Caithness
Thurso is another town on the extreme north coast, there are about 22 miles between the two towns.
You will find several good maps on this site.

good luck
Trinkie

tigger2u
01-Jun-08, 19:03
Thanks trinkle,
I've been looking through some of the pics and some of the old b&W ones look amazing and I saw one of Dempster St, the one with the barrow and kids playing, is that the one you ment ?
I did think the 2 towns were different, is Pulteney town different again ? I will try and find the maps lol
Thanks again

domino
01-Jun-08, 19:13
Pultenytown and Wick are both in the Burgh of Wick one on either side of the river. Pulteney was probably built for the fishing industry whilst the town of Wick goes further back in history. please correct me if I am wrong

Rhandy
01-Jun-08, 21:12
Hi Tigger,

I found this site helpful, it lists old occupations and their modern equivalent http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/

Cheers
Rhandy

tigger2u
02-Jun-08, 07:16
An excellent site Rhandy.

Thanks