PDA

View Full Version : Wick River

COACHMAN
31-May-08, 21:48
What a state Wick River is in Hardly any water flowing in it and full of Grass and Weeds about time the WEIR was put back in at least then there would be water in it

MadPict
31-May-08, 22:05
Even when the weir was in place it used to fill with weeds...

rfr10
31-May-08, 22:23
It looks great when there is water in the river but yes, I also feel that it looks a complete mess when the water level is low. For some reason, there were fire engines there on Thursday night, pumping the water from one part of the river into another. Don't see the point in what they were doing. Maybe just an exercise.

Moira
31-May-08, 23:38
What a state Wick River is in Hardly any water flowing in it and full of Grass and Weeds about time the WEIR was put back in at least then there would be water in it

I'm not sure what the answer is COACHMAN but I found this post on the topic from a few years ago :-
"George Brims
07-Feb-05, 17:40

I understood the weir was removed to get rid of the straggly weed that grows each summer. Having the weir there to provide the boating area just slowed down the flow so far it couldn't wash the weeds away. The current angled thingies are designed to keep the water in the middle so it flows faster and rips away more of the weeds. The weed is actually native to the Baltic region. The only place in Britain that has it is the Wick River. It got there by attaching itself to the hulls of the ships that used to haul Caithness flagstone to Baltic seaports. It wasn't a problem until farmers started using artificial fertilizer, some of which leaches out of the soil and eventually into the river, promoting excessive growth of the weed."

The full thread is here :- http://forum.caithness.org/archive/index.php/t-1897.html

I frequently walk alongside Wick River and was delighted with the improvements made to the path on the north side of the river last year. I'd love to see the "boaties" back on the river too. Do you have a plan COACHMAN? :)

Dog-eared
03-Jun-08, 01:27
The BTCV from Munlochy are up later in the summer to repair the flagstones around the bonfire island so at least somethings happening.
I have fond memories of boating on the river.

http://www2.btcv.org.uk/display/munlochy

silverfox57
03-Jun-08, 13:47
as have posted few times on here about wick river,was one of my best childhood times,dont think it well ever be the same:~(

MadPict
03-Jun-08, 14:46
I spent a few weekends, when I was in the ATC, repairing and widening the river path all the way up to the bridge near "Fairy Hillock" (on OS map). Hard work but look back on it with a feeling of achievement.

dogman
03-Jun-08, 16:15
a good bit of rain today, hopefully we can get a bit of fishing done in a few days!

domino
03-Jun-08, 22:22
The river was really nice and well used until they removed the weir.It is a crying shame to see it now.Had wonderful times on the river