PDA

View Full Version : Neolithic Pendant?

Rheghead
31-May-08, 20:24
I found this on the beach and thought it was strangely decorative. It is 1.5" long with a hole drilled into the corner. I think it is made out of antler or whale bone and the thing has been cut to enhance the ribbed structure diagonally. Any thoughts anybody? I wonder if it will be of interest to the museum if it is old. (It must be old surely?):confused
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/Rheghead/Caithness/Pendant.jpg

MadPict
31-May-08, 23:03
Unusual find. Is there any chance that the hole and markings may have been caused by wave action?
I have found stones with holes 'drilled' through them so know that the combination of wave and a few grains of sand can do some strange things.
I would take to someone to have a look at.

lynne duncan
31-May-08, 23:15
try the folkies in the dunbeath museum, mm! what's their names (scratch head!) the bethunes they might be able to help.
would love to think it is an old! pendant - -please post if you do find out
which beach did you find it on (out of sheer noseyness)

Boozeburglar
01-Jun-08, 00:34
Geez

I read that as Neolithic Pedant!

I was wondering how one would tell!

:)

Beautiful pendant I think.

DeHaviLand
01-Jun-08, 01:34
Geez

Beautiful pendant I think.

You mean, you think its Big A:lol::lol:

northener
01-Jun-08, 01:41
Geez

Simple, they'd be the ones constantly criticising other peoples flint knapping knowledge.:D

Moi x
01-Jun-08, 01:49
Good grief, I thought I'd be the only one that thought the org was all about neolithic pedants. Welcome to the club boys. ;)

Moi x

johndh
01-Jun-08, 09:08
I found this on the beach and thought it was strangely decorative. It is 1.5" long with a hole drilled into the corner. I think it is made out of antler or whale bone and the thing has been cut to enhance the ribbed structure diagonally. Any thoughts anybody? I wonder if it will be of interest to the museum if it is old. (It must be old surely?):confused

I have some archaeologists staying with me just now. I'll show them your picture, see what they think. I'll post back later.

Cheers

Rheghead
01-Jun-08, 11:43
I'm now thinking it may be made of narwhal horn which might explain the ribbed texture(no jokes please:) ) and the honeycomb structure. If that is so then a viking history for the artifact may be more appropriate.

Tugmistress
01-Jun-08, 13:26
Great find rheghead! please post and tell us what it is when you find out :D

JamesMcVean
01-Jun-08, 13:29
Rheg,

would you consider selling it??

James

Dog-eared
01-Jun-08, 15:04
Fantastic find. Looks like Narwhal right enough.

northener
01-Jun-08, 15:12
I'm going to go against the flow on this one.

I think it's a naturally occurring stone. The white bands look like slightly harder wearing rock than the surrounding grey - hence the rippled effect.

As for the hole in the top corner, this looks like an enlarged version of the pock-marks that are all over the face of the object - again, caused by erosion?

Rheggers, how heavy is it? Does it feel like the right weight for a pebble, or is it substantially lighter? If it is a relatively light object - then it could be bone. But I've not seen any antler/bone that looks quite like this.

Mind you, I don't really know what I'm talking about - just my opinion.

N.

MadPict
01-Jun-08, 15:21
N,
As I stated in my post above my first impression might be it is just a bit of stone which has been eroded in such a way as too give the impression of a worked piece.

But it won't hurt to take to an expert...

northener
01-Jun-08, 15:24
N,

But it won't hurt to take to an expert...

Indeed. I wouldn't want to prompt Rheghead to chuck out a unique piece of craftwork!:eek:

Rheghead
01-Jun-08, 16:32
It isn't stone, it is too light, it is made out of bone or horn. The hole is approx 16th" wide so I doubt it was made naturally. I doubt if sand erosion could cause this hole, especially on a loose item like this. I'm off to Orkney on Tuesday, they seem to have more expertise over there than here, no insult intended.

northener
01-Jun-08, 17:52
Fascinating.

Keep us posted!

joxville
01-Jun-08, 20:04
Mind you, I don't really know what I'm talking about - just my opinion.

Might I suggest Northener you use this as your signature lol