PDA

View Full Version : Money Cons

JamesMcVean
31-May-08, 09:46
there was a bit on the news about people being conned out of thousands by marketing - ie A letter to say you are a winner and that you have to send a tenner,say, to set up a bank account...the usual tosh....

I just cannot comprehend the type of people that fall for this nonsense...

if it is too good to be true...then it usually is!!

It is just the same as the internet phishing scams...just delete everything requiring your details...bin all the junk mail...and the phone marketing can be stopped immediately with the TELEPHONE PREFERENCE SERVICE....TPS...Then when someone does phone you...stop them immediately and ask in an angry manner " HOw the hell did you get my number...I am reporting you!!" They usually hangup and do not call again!!

Cheers

James

DeHaviLand
31-May-08, 11:39
The ones who are caught out are the vulnerable and the desperate. While we may not be taken in by it, there might yet come a day when we are.:(

scorrie
31-May-08, 20:07
The ones who are caught out are the vulnerable and the desperate. (

I have to say that most of the cases I have heard about were the result of GREED!!

You would think it impossible for anyone to believe that they had won a Spanish lottery that they had not even entered but it happened to plenty of people. The lure of the big money was enough for them to believe that a total stranger, in a foreign country, just picked numbers and paid for folks in the UK to be entered in a lottery!!

You would need to have a head that buttons up the back to believe that the world has suddenly become populated by Good Samaritans who go round entering people in lotteries, yet one glimpse of a 6 figure sum in Euros and peoples eyes are rolling like reels on a fruit machine.

Of course, the killer hook is always the line:-

"If your prize is not claimed, it will be awarded to another entrant"

Greed AND Jealousy, what a winning combination!!