PDA

View Full Version : Daily - Weekly - Monthly?

JamesMcVean
31-May-08, 09:38
Shopping...

How do you do it??

We are planning to start doing a weekly shop, to cut out all the trips to the supermarket and all the impulse buys that occur there...

What with the cost of living so high, I thought it might be a good idea...

Does anyone manage a monthly???

Cheers

James

Metalattakk
31-May-08, 11:18
Once a week for us. Ordered online, and delivered whenever we want.

www.tesco.com (http://www.tesco.com)

Neither of us have been near a supermarket in months.

(Actually that's not quite true, as I'm just about to go to the post office - but that doesn't count though, eh? :D)

Valerie Campbell
31-May-08, 11:23
I would do a monthly shop if I had the space. I used to do Tesco online but down here they changed the slots so we can only order deliveries for a Friday, Saturday or Monday. Bit of a pain...Still, I now shop around once a week and am saving on the food bills.

balto
31-May-08, 11:36
i shop for us once a week, if i did it once a month it would be a case of the feast and the famine, the 1st 2 weeks would be good, then the last 2 there would be nothing, especially if my kids had anything to do with it.

speedo215
31-May-08, 11:50
we do a big shop once a month then we get stuff like bread milk etc on a weekly basis and it does us fine

floyed
31-May-08, 12:27
I do my food shopping weekly.

hotrod4
31-May-08, 12:28
Do the main food shop weekly but like to do a daily shop too as it passes the time and at least you are getting FRESH food!!! ;)

mccaugm
31-May-08, 12:35

(Actually that's not quite true, as I'm just about to go to the post office - but that doesn't count though, eh? :D)

Same here, hubby hates shopping period so bar a wander down to the corner shop its Tesco Online every time.

lynne duncan
31-May-08, 12:50
once a week, bar nipping half way through for fresh bread and milk

Boozeburglar
31-May-08, 14:51
I shop daily bar one or two days a week. All part of the dog walking routine and I love my fresh veg and such.

Got into the habit years ago when I first moved to London and was skint so always shopped from the reduced stuff and bought whatever was fresh for one meal, lol. (Besides if I bought more it got nicked off me!) When I am up here what I miss most are the markets.

I remember when I was a kid and there was one shop a month, but we had lots of fresh stuff we grew and eggs etc. so it was easier. Should be possible, if you get a veg/fruit delivery.

joxville
31-May-08, 15:02
I shop monthly however for stuff like bread etc. I buy it every few days. Sainsbury's is only 2 streets away from me so I just walk but I use the car for doing the big shop, and that's when I'm on my way home from work. I find I spend less doing it monthly, mainly because when I done it weekly or fornightly I would buy books or cd's as well.

emb123
31-May-08, 18:38
When I was in Bettyhill I used to shop roughly every three weeks to a month. The 31 mile drive to the nearest supermarket was the main reason - I don't like driving much. By the end of the 3 week period I was usually getting pretty desperate to see some shops again (I am a secret shopaholic).

It actually used to save me loads of money because I wouldn't buy all the usual impulse stuff that could be allowed to rot in the fridge and cupboard - there would be no point as I'd have no fridge space for it.

When I was living in Wick I was in the shops every day. Used to get loads of amazing bargains but probably spent much more than I needed to by not resisting a bargain and did my waistline no favours either.

In Bettyhill I used to bake absolutely all my own bread and fruit bread and cakes and scones. Food was good :)

Here in Keiss I'm just starting to do my own bread baking again to save unnecessary trips into town and also to watch the pennies.

If you can cut down to around once a month you'll be living off a lot of frozen and canned food but if you've a local store you can get milk (otherwise you can keep lots of cartons of UHT).

A good bread maker (e.g. Panasonic or some Morphy Richards models) in conjunction with a set of electronic kitchen scales will be among your most treasured kitchen products if you avoid the shops for long periods. Preferably two bread makers. Gathering the ingredients all together ready to weight them out, spoon then out etc etc can be a bit tedious when you're doing it every day or so, so I used to make one normal bread and one spicy fruit bread at the same time. Also the little bricks of yeast for about £1 that used to last me about 2-3 months when making about 6 loaves a week are much cheaper than those horrendously expensive sachets.

Also if you have a local shop you'll probably find the veggies will be very good at least the locally grown ones. The fruit can be a bit variable though - but I suppose that depends on the shop.

If you cut down to once a month you'll be amazed at just how much spare time you seem to have, although you might be starting to feel a bit stir crazy by the end of the month. I used to try to time my trips into town with the deals which Lidl was having (checking their web site) e.g. garden stuff, pet products or whatever.

Sorry for the long answer - I'm a fast typist and a chatterbox by nature :)

EDDIE
01-Jun-08, 07:03

i have often thought about ordering online.Metalattakk do u think that u save more money doing it that way because it stops u impulse buying and that u can control your shopping bill better?

Metalattakk
01-Jun-08, 13:04
i have often thought about ordering online.Metalattakk do u think that u save more money doing it that way because it stops u impulse buying and that u can control your shopping bill better?

Cant' say for sure EDDIE, as the wife does all the ordering! She still orders the odd 'impulse' buy though - "just trying something different". ;)

I suspect we are paying a little more than of old, with the delivery charges thrown in too, but it's money well spent in our view.

To put it into context, it's like having someone go to the shop, traipse around it filling our trolley, packing it all up and delivering it to our kitchen. And all for a fiver extra.

Can't knock it, to be honest.

Margaret M.
01-Jun-08, 16:27
To put it into context, it's like having someone go to the shop, traipse around it filling our trolley, packing it all up and delivering it to our kitchen. And all for a fiver extra.

I agree, that is so worth a fiver. If it were offered here, I would be all over it. I shop once a week and may or may not pop in one other time to get fresh fruits and veggies depending on how much I use.

KCI
01-Jun-08, 16:48
We do our shopping once a week, but if I could do it monthly instead, I would prefer that!
I used to use the Tesco online ordering, but items are sometimes replaced or missing, which can be annoying. It was a good service though, and a lot easier than trailing kids round Tesco's! :eek:

horseman
01-Jun-08, 17:02
Makes sense to get the shop to deliver, but you do miss out on the last minute bargains. An my g-daughter would definetly object to the 'fiver' on top.But to people in a better pigeon hole , must be a good thing.