PDA

View Full Version : Jehovah's witnesses

Tom Cornwall
30-May-08, 20:15
I have just had a very interesting threequarter-hour talking to a cople of Jehovah's witnesses and I think that I gave as good an argument as I was getting. But do any of you have a foolproof way of getting them to move on, without being too aggresive?

Oddquine
30-May-08, 20:21
I have just had a very interesting threequarter-hour talking to a cople of Jehovah's witnesses and I think that I gave as good an argument as I was getting. But do any of you have a foolproof way of getting them to move on, without being too aggresive?

I just repeat, I am not interested until they go away...though the time was I could while away an afternoon "discussing" the Bible with them. ;)

tootler
30-May-08, 20:23
I'm always really nice to our J.Witnesses and they just give me the magazines, pass the time of day & leave - I don't have any trouble with them at all.

In fact they're really friendly folk and the magazines sometimes have some good wildlife articles in them - you just have to skirt around the bible references!;)

It's bad for the soul to be horrible to guests at your front door, I'm sure, even if you are an athiest![lol]

silverfox57
30-May-08, 20:40
beware of dog enter at your own risk, seems to work very well,

starry
30-May-08, 20:41
I just asked politely that they put my name down as requesting no further visits, that was years ago and nobody has ever called again.

Angela
30-May-08, 20:42
Are they having some kind of campaign at the moment? I opened the front door to go out yesterday and a group of five more or less fell in :eek: giving them quite a shock, as they'd not even pressed the bell.

I could say in all honesty that I was just on my way out. They were pleasant and friendly and didn't try to delay me or force any 'literature' on me.

JamesMcVean
30-May-08, 20:43
When I was younger I would come to the door wearing a SLAYER Tshirt and tell them that I was simply Not Interested in Organised Religion...especially any that would allow, through neglected medication, harm to a child!!!

GRRR

Religion is one of the main problems of this sad, so called, civilization...

Now that I am on my high horse...Imagine thinking that if you didnt do this...or didnt do that...your immortal soul would suffer for all eternity...I mean how sad is that...in this age of enlightenment??? Most religion is a means to control the populace through fear and shame, and the only one that might be worth looking into is Buddism...but I have not gotten round to trying that one yet!!!

I have had "Mystical" experiences, using meditation and inner searching... and I think that if everyone tried it then there would be a lot less hassle in this money mad society.

LOL

Steps down from soapbox!!

James

emb123
30-May-08, 20:45
As long as they are not sanctimoniously ringing my doorbell at the crack of dawn on a Sunday morning I don't mind them too much round here. Had some chaps knock a couple of days ago spreading the good news. I chatted for five minutes and wished them well.

Down in England I've noticed that they tend to be more persistent and annoying, and frequent.

Here, they respect the fact that I take my religious views seriously and they bear some similarities to theirs - they leave me to have my own space which is fine. Down in England the Jehovah's witnesses seem to take great exception to any view which is not exactly conforming to their own, in detail, and will try to relieve you of any differing opinions.

What worked for me was a note on the door stating that 'I do not wish to be disturbed by people evangelising their religion'. Seriously it actually worked.

There was one especially self-righteous woman who decided to ignore it and knock anyway and I pointed out to her that I was fairly sure that she would be offended if I disrespected her clearly stated views and that whilst I was not offended by her choosing to ignore mine, I was a little disappointed by the lack of respect she was showing me. No answer to that. They left me alone after that.

Sometimes it's nice to have a pleasant chat on such matters but at other times it can be a nuisance, like when you have a doctor's appointment etc. If you want to be left in peace then do give the sign a test run!

Kind regards :)

Lumberjack
30-May-08, 21:01
I was informed a few years ago that a sure and polite way to rid yourself from the Jehovas interference was to simply inform them that you are a Roman Catholic.

They never bother us now anyway, as my late father treated them to a verbal tirade which I believe contained "language not becoming a gentleman".

mccaugm
30-May-08, 21:49
When you give blood keep the blood donation stickers and put them on your front door surround. That seems to work.

On a lighter note I just say a polite no thank you and state that I am an Episcopalian.

ashaw1
30-May-08, 22:04
Are they having some kind of campaign at the moment? I opened the front door to go out yesterday and a group of five more or less fell in :eek: giving them quite a shock, as they'd not even pressed the bell.

I could say in all honesty that I was just on my way out. They were pleasant and friendly and didn't try to delay me or force any 'literature' on me.
Weird! A couple of women passed by my window today with a little girl who i assumed were that religion, they were carrying the usual magazines etc. Was dreading going to the door but luckily they passed me by. Maybe there is some kind of campaign going on right now.

benji
30-May-08, 22:11
...a firm and polite quick explanation of why I am not interested usually does the trick...

thejudd
30-May-08, 22:23
The count has a good way of getting rid of them. He invites them in but tells them they will have to take their clothes off first, works every time. lol :lol:

TBH
30-May-08, 22:30
Tell them you worship the devil and you are looking for someone to sacrifice in his honour.

Boozeburglar
30-May-08, 22:33
answer the door in a bathrobe.

invite them in and drop robe as door shuts

turn to the chair upon which your clothes reside and ask if they don't mind, but it is naked day in your household.

Dynamic Sounds
31-May-08, 01:00
A friend of the wife had just come back from the dentists in America after some rather expensive work and was still rather "high" on the drugs, pain killers etc when the witnesses arrived......

....he invited them in to his garage! As he is a costumer/armour maker for stage and film, he had various books lying about of symbols that has to be etched on to the armour. One book was open at a pentacle, and he was wearing a rock band shirt. Being doped up he thought it was fun to draw a pentacle on his concrete floor with lighter fluid and set fire to it! when he turned around the witnesses had gone! Strange that!

Lolabelle
31-May-08, 04:22
I just asked a Jehovah's Witness, and the best thing to say is
"I'm not interested. Please put me on your 'do not call' list" :D

Dave is an EX JW!!
Now firmly converted and convicted in the real "Truth", the one in the Bible.

ciderally
31-May-08, 08:36
i have close friends that are witnesses ...and all you need to say if you are not intrested is no thank you...

Lord Flasheart
31-May-08, 09:24
I listen to them actually, all the while letting them take their way into the trap. I nod attentively and try to look interested. Then I simply say .. "So because my sister needed a massive blood tranfusion at birth you think my parents should have let her die ??" .. works every time.

Failing that I ask .. "What did Jehovah do that you witnessed??"

cd1977
31-May-08, 09:57
I find that chopping kindlers at the front door works a treat. Especially when I start bringing the axe down with a bit of extra whoomph just as they pass the gate.

dogman
31-May-08, 09:59
i like to take them in. then i'll ask if i join their cult why would i not be allowed a blood transfusion if i needed one. they get offended when their cult gets called a cult then rabbit on about some spiritual purities. what the hell has blood got to do with spirit. i personally would never mix blood with vodka.

bekisman
31-May-08, 10:05
Jehovah's Witnesses.. ah now there's a thing to generate controversy...

I'm a dyed in the wool Atheist (as Andrew C on here knows from my PM's) started off young, going to church, actually in the church choir, till joining the Forces at 18, many years in that and then the Fire Service brought me very early on to experiencing horror's and meaningless violence from and to our fellow man - I suppose sweeping up a child's brains at an RTA brings it home, begs the question; "why?" . I came to my own conclusions.

BUT the way these JW's are mentioned here on this tread! are we talking about some terrible child barterers?, people with bubonic plaque?.. no, just folks with - in my opinion - pretty daft ideas on 'religion'. I have friends who were Muslim fundamentalists, I have Jewish friends, I also have a Gold badge for blood donation, I am on the Anthony Nolan Bone marrow list (been called for extra tests twice). But I don't disparage folk personally who genuinely believe in their faith to such a degree they truly believe they must save all our souls.

When they come to our door, I invite them in, offer them tea and we talk. It certainly seemed to have put them off as they don't come anymore.

We were invited by a JW friend to her wedding - why not? it was some twenty years ago and held in a Kingdom Hall, the Elder stood and asked 'Lynn' - in her white brides dress - and 'Mike' to both stand up, the Elder then progressed to list and advise Lynn on what she should do for Mike, he was a Bank Manager and she must make sure she looked after him well, made sure there was a meal ready when he got home, made sure his clothes were immaculate and so on. Then it was Mikes turn and all that was said was; "Do you Mike take this woman to be your legal wedded wife" (!) no advice, nothing..

At the risk of upsetting someone I truly 'believe' all religion is bunkum, since time began it's been; "My God is better than your God" (And I'll kill you if you don't agree)..

(Sorry I've burbled too long again)

Valerie Campbell
31-May-08, 11:28
Bekisman, folk I know who were brought up in strict religious families have turned their back on religion. Each to their own if you ask me. It's personal choice and shouldn't be forced on people if they don't want anything to do with it. Children from these backgrounds don't really have a say.

As for Witnesses, I stand politely, say as little as possible, take their leaflet and they usually leave within minutes. A friend once told me the best way to get rid of them is to say you're Catholic.

balto
31-May-08, 11:33
i just tell them i am not interested that seems to work.

3boys4me
31-May-08, 11:49
I usually am polite and they just hand out the mags but a couple of years ago they asked me whether I relaised my children would burn in hell and that's where Idraw the line. it also really annoys me when they go round with their children as they are not old enough to make their own judgement. The evil part o me wants to turn around and go "has mummy told you you she'll let you bleed to death mmmh? mm?"
Not that I would but it is the same as coming to my door and telling me my children will go to hell. beleive what you want, all the power to you, but don't preach it to others, especially those not willing to hear.

hotrod4
31-May-08, 12:25
Funny how no-one is standing up for the Witnesses?
On my "gay" thread there was loads of talk of equality but it seems JW's are ok to "bash".
They are only doing what they think is right even though in my opinion its wrong.
Its not very christian to be nasty or rude to them so those who are christian should take heed ;)
Luckily for me they dont come near me ,that is probably due to the fact that i was friends with a couple of them before I knew what there religion was.
Didn't bother me that they were Jehovas it could've been worse they could have been catholic!! :)
No-one should try and force their religion on anyone it is a personal choice and you will always think yours is best.
Maybe if they didnt go round the doors so much they might get a bigger attendance?
Honestly dont know much about their religion as never needed to but I suppose like most it will have wrongs and rights.

mccaugm
31-May-08, 12:32
On my "gay" thread there was loads of talk of equality but it seems JW's are ok to "bash".
They are only doing what they think is right even though in my opinion its wrong.
Its not very christian to be nasty or rude to them so those who are christian should take heed ;)
Luckily for me they dont come near me ,that is probably due to the fact that i was friends with a couple of them before I knew what there religion was.
Didn't bother me that they were Jehovas it could've been worse they could have been catholic!! :)
No-one should try and force their religion on anyone it is a personal choice and you will always think yours is best.
Maybe if they didnt go round the doors so much they might get a bigger attendance?
Honestly dont know much about their religion as never needed to but I suppose like most it will have wrongs and rights.

I have no issue with their "religion" as that is personal choice, what I take issue with is there ability to let a child die rather than allow it not to have a blood transfusion. That IMHO is child neglect and cruelty and that I cannot understand.

hotrod4
31-May-08, 12:36
I have no issue with their "religion" as that is personal choice, what I take issue with is there ability to let a child die rather than allow it not to have a blood transfusion. That IMHO is child neglect and cruelty and that I cannot understand.

I agree with you that is wrong and wouldnt allow that to happen to my child but its their religion, the same could be said for the catholic religion who dont agree with abortions (no matter what the circumstances) or Muslims who think killing people gets you loads of birds and a free pass to heaven!

mccaugm
31-May-08, 12:43
I agree with you that is wrong and wouldnt allow that to happen to my child but its their religion, the same could be said for the catholic religion who dont agree with abortions (no matter what the circumstances) or Muslims who think killing people gets you loads of birds and a free pass to heaven!

You have a point there, if the whole world believed in one specific religion there would be chaos. If it was JW there would be untimely and unnecessary deaths every day. Catholicism would lead to poverty as there would be so many children to feed and people forced to stay in "dangerous" marriages. Other religions where women would be forced back to their situations from hundreds of years ago and men would think they were supreme. Yup religion has a lot to answer for.

lynne duncan
31-May-08, 12:48
as it was a jw thread was wondering if any of you lot knew any of the wick jw's as i am trying to trace one of my school class for the school reunion, but seeing the replies to the thread i think i know what the answer will be.
If anyone else from the jw side of the fence is looking on, the lassie's name was Rebeckah Lawson and she will be 36/37 was in wick high 1983-1988

Blast!
31-May-08, 14:13
They're harmless.

There's no need to be rude to anyone.

Even the folk who persist on putting Kleeneze catalogues through the door should be respected.

Manners cost nothing.

Blast!
31-May-08, 14:14

Equality? What is that? Try being a ginger for a day...

;)

honey
31-May-08, 14:16
greet them with "well, its time for my blood transfusion, but you could always come in and help me with it" ;)

hotrod4
31-May-08, 14:37
Equality? What is that? Try being a ginger for a day...

;)

Ginger thats nothing I used to be a one legged black man with a speech impedement! ;)

_Ju_
31-May-08, 19:24
My mother used to say she was of the Jewish faith and it worked instantaniously

Andrew C
01-Jun-08, 00:10
For some reason they don't come to my door :)

Oddquine
01-Jun-08, 00:33
Living in a town where I had been born and brought up, I knew all the wasters/troublemakers etc, and I was well aware that a couple of them had joined the Jehovah's Witnesses.....................so at one time, I remember saying to them that if the likes of X and Y are going to be in heaven when I get there......then thanks but no thanks.

Penelope Pitstop
01-Jun-08, 09:55
i just tell them i am not interested that seems to work.

Balto, ask them to give you a hand to fix your kitchen.....that should get rid of them....[lol]

Penelope Pitstop
01-Jun-08, 10:02
They're harmless.

There's no need to be rude to anyone.

Even the folk who persist on putting Kleeneze catalogues through the door should be respected.

Manners cost nothing.

I agree...manners cost nothing...and indeed treat people how you would like to be treated .....but sometimes you have to treat people the same way you have been treated.

i.e. they nice to me...I nice them!! Not nice to me....not nice to them!

Some folk are so arrogant and persistant (cold callers) that they don't get the message when you're nice to them...sometimes you have to step outwith where you want to be....

flash
01-Jun-08, 10:16
The evil part o me wants to turn around and go "has mummy told you you she'll let you bleed to death mmmh? mm?"

I love it. I can just picture the reaction to that one.

I used to have a dog that went ballistic when the door bell went, I would answer the door, shout "get down satan" to the dog and ask what the JW's wanted. That always worked.

Nowadays a polite no thanks does the trick.

Saveman
01-Jun-08, 17:23
Well ok then I'll stick my head above the parapet. I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I've been shocked, saddened, confused and amused by the responses to this thread.

First thing was that Tom Cornwall who started this thread said
I have just had a very interesting threequarter-hour talking to a cople of Jehovah's witnesses but then he was asking how to get rid of us! If it was "very interesting" why would you want to get rid of us? ;)

A couple of other things to clarify.....Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in hellfire, and so would never tell anyone that their children will burn in hell.
I've been to many weddings in Kingdom Halls, I've even conducted one.(Very scary experience!) None of them have been anything like the one that Bekisman described. Though I do appreciate some of the other points you have made in your post Bekisman.

It has been fascinating to see that people who have so much opinion on Jehovah's Witnesses are happy to air them on a public forum but unhappy to actually talk to Jehovah's Witnesses about how they feel in a calm and reasoned way. We very much appreciate it if someone actually stops for a couple of minutes and gives us the right to reply to their objections, if they still feel the same way we'll happily be on our merry way.

Also, I love speaking to Roman Catholics.

One other thing, Jehovah's Witnesses love their children very much, that's why they take them to doctors, hospitals etc. for treatment in the first place. They DO NOT want their children to die. Jehovah's Witnesses DO accept transfusions they just do not accept blood transfusions. Do you know why they don't accept blood transfusions? Why not speak to one of Jehovah's Witnesses about why they do not accept blood transfusions? Have a chat with them about it. Express your opinion, listen carefully to theirs. We recognise this is an emotive subject, but why not get more information on it before slapping on a label?

You'll have plenty of other people who will happily tell you all about Jehovah's Witnesses and what they're like, and what they believe. People like Andrew C, he's got plenty of opinions about JWs and he's entitled to them. But why not get it straight for the horses mouth? Over the years I've heard some hiliarious stuff about JWs from loads of people, even ex-JWs! Really laughable stuff! Some people class JWs as a minority group and I suppose that can be a problem for minority groups, that people will be influenced by the majority opinion.

If you actually care, why not just find out for yourself from Jehovah's Witnesses. We don't have an agenda and we don't bite (not hard anyway!). All we wanna do is give you some good news and chat to people about the Bible and God's Kingdom, or leave you some literature to read that is about.....you guessed it: the Bible and God's Kingdom. You wanna learn more? We'll be happy to show you more.....you don't wanna learn more? No probs.....we'll see you next time we're round your area. :)

And no, I'm not going to debate my beliefs on this forum....again. Speak to me when I knock on your door.
BTW Andrew C.....we probably missed you, maybe you were out. What's your address? We'll be more than happy to come round for a chat. :)

bekisman
01-Jun-08, 17:47
Saveman: "None of them [weddings] have been anything like the one that Bekisman described."

I'm really sorry Saveman, but you are accusing me of lying, and this I do not do, I might be an Atheist but I have honour and integrity.
This was an actual wedding that took place at a Kingdom Hall in a part of Worcestershire in c1980 (I will dig out the photographs to refresh my memory).
What I described was as I have posted: 'We were invited by a JW friend to her wedding - why not? it was some twenty years ago and held in a Kingdom Hall, the Elder stood and asked 'Lynn' - in her white brides dress - and 'Mike' to both stand up, the Elder then progressed to list and advise Lynn on what she should do for Mike, he was a Bank Manager and she must make sure she looked after him well, made sure there was a meal ready when he got home, made sure his clothes were immaculate and so on. Then it was Mikes turn and all that was said was; "Do you Mike take this woman to be your legal wedded wife" (!) no advice, nothing.. '
I have just spoken to my wife to ask if this was how I recall it, she fully agrees, and remembers that when the Elder was 'advising' Lynn what she should do, we noticed the rest of the 'congregation' nodding in agreement - which was all the more unusual when Mike was given an easy ride..

I have never been to any other JW's wedding, but this actually truly happened - maybe someone out there has experienced a similar event?

scotsboy
01-Jun-08, 18:25
Saveman: "None of them [weddings] have been anything like the one that Bekisman described."

I'm really sorry Saveman, but you are accusing me of lying, and this I do not do, I might be an Atheist but I have honour and integrity.
This was an actual wedding that took place at a Kingdom Hall in a part of Worcestershire in c1980 (I will dig out the photographs to refresh my memory).
What I described was as I have posted: 'We were invited by a JW friend to her wedding - why not? it was some twenty years ago and held in a Kingdom Hall, the Elder stood and asked 'Lynn' - in her white brides dress - and 'Mike' to both stand up, the Elder then progressed to list and advise Lynn on what she should do for Mike, he was a Bank Manager and she must make sure she looked after him well, made sure there was a meal ready when he got home, made sure his clothes were immaculate and so on. Then it was Mikes turn and all that was said was; "Do you Mike take this woman to be your legal wedded wife" (!) no advice, nothing.. '
I have just spoken to my wife to ask if this was how I recall it, she fully agrees, and remembers that when the Elder was 'advising' Lynn what she should do, we noticed the rest of the 'congregation' nodding in agreement - which was all the more unusual when Mike was given an easy ride..

I have never been to any other JW's wedding, but this actually truly happened - maybe someone out there has experienced a similar event?

Sorry Bekisman but nowhere do I see anything that looks like an accusation of lying - Saveman simply said that none of them have been like you described, that does not mean that what you described was not accurate but that it may have been atypical.

Saveman
01-Jun-08, 18:41

No I don't think you are lying.....that's not my point at all......just that JW weddings are not all like that, certainly none I've been too, including my own :)

bekisman
01-Jun-08, 19:18
Fair enough Saveman/Scotsboy my knee-jerk reaction - apologies extended..
In the meantime I've been trawling the net and came across this bit below, I do know that the Elder has a 'Talk' to the bride and groom. In 'our' instance the Elder was a very close relation to the pair and it might have been the more informal for it.

'While acknowledging the joyfulness of weddings, Jehovah's Witnesses stress the seriousness of marriage, and take special steps to prepare couples for this sacred rite of passage ... and a portion of the wedding ceremony itself is dedicated to outlining the responsibilities the bride and groom will have to each other. One of the male elders, a minister of the church, performs the ceremony, usually at Kingdom Hall' . http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/521632 (http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/521632)

Out of interest and with all due respect to your beliefs came across this by serendipity (can't be correct, surely?)http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2919/reasons.html (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2919/reasons.html)

WeeBurd
01-Jun-08, 21:21
I'm not a religious type at all, so cannot stand anyone trying to impose their views on me or convert me! I'm happy to say though, that has never been an issue with JW's. I don't understand the bad press at all... they come to the door, I say no thank you, and accept their literature out of courtesy. I've never had a problem with them overstaying their welcome, or trying to convert me. They've always been polite and courteous individuals, and so respond to them in the same manner.

I may not agree with their religious views and beliefs, in the same way I may not believe in Andrew C's either, but that's no excuse for me to be rude about them, ridicule their beliefs, or attempt to humiliate them for my own pleasure. I respect the fact they have faith and are proud enough to want to go out there, and share it with others.

I actually have a couple of friends who are JW's, and unsurprisingly it has never affected our friendships whatsoever. They have patiently answered questions if and when I've had any on the subject, but that's it. No covert attempts to try and convert me or badgering me with their beliefs - funny that, it's never been an issue with my catholic/mulsim/hindu friends either :confused.

Kudos to Saveman for his post, and for his strong, unwavering faith.

dellwak
01-Jun-08, 21:28
Out of interest and with all due respect to your beliefs came across this by serendipity (can't be correct, surely?)http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2919/reasons.html (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2919/reasons.html)

Good on you Saveman, tell em how it really is.
I have just read the junk in the link above and must say I havn't had such a good laugh in years.
Although I am not a JW, my wife is, so I think I can talk on this subject with some authority.
If you want to know what the Jehovas Witnesses get up to in their Kingdom Halls, go along to a meeting. You will be made very welcome and, yes you will be offered a seat, by a window if you want one.
A list is indeed kept of housholds who have stated that they do not want any more calls, and the wishes of these people are respected. If you still receive calls despite requesting to be put on this list, simply go along to the local Kingdom Hall and tell them, they will make sure no-one calls on you again.
As Saveman says, Jehovas Witnesses do not accept blood transfusions, but they will accept life saving transfusions. If you want to know more on this subject, ask Saveman or his brothers and sisters into your homes and let them explain it, and listen to what they say, I think you will be suprised at how much they know about this. This subject is too detailed to discuss in depth here but I will say this - more and more surgeons are now operating without the need of blood transfusions.
These are nice people. Some of them can be a bit pushy and insistant but the same could be said for a lot of people. They truly believe that they have a wonderful message for you and are only thinking of your wellbeing. The least you can do is give them 5 minutes of your time.

TBH
01-Jun-08, 21:45
All jest aside, I must say that I haven't got the time nor inclination to enter into a long conversation with Jehova's witnesses but I will say that any that have come to the door I have found to be very friendly with a very calming nature about them. I don't agree with their beliefs but I respect their right to have them. There are people in life that are far more deserving of our disdain.

tootler
01-Jun-08, 21:58
The least you can do is give them 5 minutes of your time.

Here, here! As I said when I first posted on this thread, I've never had any trouble with JW's and, in fact, some of them have been really good people to talk to.

A couple of years ago I had the unfortunate experience of being first on the scene at a RTA, where a JW mother and her two daughters were trapped in their overturned car. I was really impressed by the great strength of character shown, not only by the mother, but also by her daughters, as we went about administering first aid and calling for the emergency services. There was no way any of them were willing to have a blood transfusion, and they all made that quite clear, but, to be honest, even I began to believe that the girl trapped underneath the car wouldn't need one just because they had such faith...... and she didn't need one, despite serious head injuries.

I was left humbled by their strength of faith. Personally, I'm still groping in the dark on religious matters, but I was really impressed by their spiritual strength at a time many others would have crumbled... don't knock them - they've made their choices and you can make your own.

Thank goodness for a free world!

bobandag16
01-Jun-08, 22:01
All jest aside, I must say that I haven't got the time nor inclination to enter into a long conversation with Jehova's witnesses but I will say that any that have come to the door I have found to be very friendly with a very calming nature about them. I don't agree with their beliefs but I respect their right to have them. There are people in life that are far more deserving of our disdain.
are t hey the same as moronoms that call

George Brims
01-Jun-08, 23:25
I don't think it's rude to *want* to get rid of the JWs. They come unasked, they talk about stuff that doesn't interest me, and they don't always take the hint that I just want to get back to whatever I was doing (which might be nothing at all, but it's *my* day off). However I don't think it's necessary to be rude in the process of getting rid of them (unless they're really persistent I suppose). Two examples of how we have done it at our house over the years.

The Mrs was at home one day and two of them came to the door. One of them thrust a leaflet into her hand. On the front was a picture of a beautiful glen with a lake, pine trees up the sides, and the sun setting over the far hills. "This is what heaven will look like when we get there" said one. "Oh," says the Mrs, "that looks just Like Glen Affric in Scotland, near where my parents live. I go there a lot. Well, thanks for calling." Hands leaflet back, gently closes door. Through the door she can hear an argument start with "Well, what was I supposed to say when she's already been there?"

A few years later, after we moved to California, I was working on the roof of my house. I was in the middle of nailing on a series of 4 by 8 sheets of 1/2" plywood when I dropped one. It slid down the roof (45 deg angle), hit the overhang at the bottom (30 deg angle) and flew about 20 feet across the grass and stuck in the ground edge on. I go and fetch another one and am in the middle of getting it in position when I hear voices. I look down and there's this young woman and four young men, all holding bibles. The lady says she would like to talk to me about Jesus. I tell her to turn around and look at the sheet of plywood behind her. She looks at it, then up at me, then back at the sheet of plywood. She is working out how it got there, and the fact it passed right through the space she currently occupies is clearly dawning on her, when I tell her that was the last piece I dropped, and if I drop this one, she'll be seeing Jesus sooner than she planned. She mumbles something about how I am clearly busy and they'll come back another time, and all four scuttle off in some relief. They never came back.

Saveman
01-Jun-08, 23:34
<snip>

File that one under "comedy" bekisman....:lol:

Like I've said....if you have any questions about Jehovah's Witnesses.....it might be sensible to actually ask one of Jehovah's Witnesses. :D

Saveman
01-Jun-08, 23:43

No Jehovah's Witnesses are not the same as Mormons.

TBH
02-Jun-08, 01:29
They have a very different theology.

bekisman
02-Jun-08, 09:50
Saveman : "File that one under "comedy" bekisman...."

Quite agree with you there - my personal 'belief' is that all religion is 'comedy' but yes; No 40. 'They are forbidden to have friends who are not Jehovah's Witnesses'. Obviously not correct as we were good friends with the JW pair who married in the Kingdom Hall.

I've just had another look at that link by 'Former Third Generation Jehovah's Witnesses' and at the bottom is another one; http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2919/test.html (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2919/test.html) details the experience of this couple.. Hmm, each to his own of course, I've no problem at all, as mentioned in my original post..

Just a thought Saveman but as you are JW and the duty of JW's is to save souls not a bad name!:D

honey
02-Jun-08, 09:53
It has been fascinating to see that people who have so much opinion on Jehovah's Witnesses are happy to air them on a public forum but unhappy to actually talk to Jehovah's Witnesses about how they feel in a calm and reasoned way.

actually, im quite happy to talk folk of any religion, what i dont like, is having people (rom any religion) coming round to my home to try and "prsuade" me what they beleive is right, and im wrong. From experience, i have been horrified to watch the way previous "Visitors" (this ones were mormon) tried to exploit my friends vulnerability at a time she was low. They played on the fact she had been through a bad time and tried to use this to get her to become a mormon.

I DO NOT want to speak to anyone that does this..

i may no agree with some of the Jehovahs beliefs, or many other religions for that matter, but i dont beleive the religions are "wrong".. we are all entitled to follow any faith we want, if thats what we so wish.. but if i want to find out more about a certain religion, i will go to that church, i certainly dont need people turning up uninvited as little more than religious "salespeople".

bekisman
02-Jun-08, 09:57
Ok Folks enough knocking of the JW's what about the rest of em?...

Bábísm
Bahá'í
Bahá'í Faith
Orthodox Bahá'í Faith
Islam
Kharijites
Nation of Islam
Shiite
Alawites
Ismailis
Jafari
Zaiddiyah
Ghulat including
Alevi / Bektashi
Ahl-e Haqq
Yazidi
Druze
Ahmadi
Sunni
Berailvi
Deobandi
Hanafi
Hanbali
Maliki
Mu'tazili
Shafi'i
Wahhabi
Sufism
Naqshbandi
Bektashi
Chishti
Mevlevi
Zikri
Judaism (see also: Jew; Hebrews)
Contemporary divisions
Karaite Judaism
Rabbinic Judaism
Orthodox Judaism
Haredi Judaism
Hassidic Judaism
Modern Orthodox Judaism
Reform Judaism
Conservative Judaism (Masorti)
Reconstructionist Judaism (arguably not a religion)
Humanistic Judaism (arguably not a religion)
Historical Sects
Hasmoneans
Essenes
Pharisees
Sadducees
Zealots
Sicarii
sects that believed Jesus was a prophet
Ebionites
Elkasites
Nazarenes
Crypto-Jews
Marranos
Conversos
Christianity (see List of Christian denominations)
Eastern Orthodoxy
Roman Catholicism
Oriental Orthodoxy (Monophysitism)
Nestorianism
Protestantism
Anabaptists
Anglicans
Baptists
Lutherans
Methodists
Pentecostals
Reformed
Calvinism
Presbyterian
Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
Unitarians
Waldensians
Latter-day Saints
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Community of Christ
Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Seventh-day Adventist
Jehovah's Witnesses
Messianic Judaism (not actually Judaism but rather Jewish-rite Christianity)
Samaritans
Mandaeanists
Rastafarians
Black Hebrews
Hebrew Christians
[edit]
Dharmic religions
Religions with a concept of Dharma, also major religions of historical India
Hinduism (see also Contemporary Hindu movements)
Agama Hindu Dharma (Javanese Hinduism)
Shaivism
Shaktism
Smartism
Vaishnavism
Gaudiya Vaishnavism
ISKCON (Hare Krishna)
Sri Krishna Chaitanya Mission
Six major schools and movements of Hindu philosophy
Samkhya
Nyaya
Vaisheshika
Purva mimamsa
Vedanta (Uttar Mimamsa)
Advaita Vedanta
Integral Yoga
Yoga
Ashtanga Yoga
Hatha yoga
Siddha Yoga
Tantric Yoga
Ayyavazhi
Shramana Religions
Buddhism (see Schools of Buddhism)
Mahayana
Nikaya schools (which have historically been called Hinayana in the West)
Theravada
Vajrayana (Tantric Buddhism)
Jainism
Digambara
Shvetambara
Panth Religions
Sikhism
Kabir Panth
Dadu Panth
[edit]
Other revealed religions
Believers in one God, also called classical monotheism, who follow an Indo-European culture of belief, philosophy and angelology.
Zoroastrianism
Magus (see Three Wise Men)
Gnosticism
Basilidians
Bogomils
Borborites
Cainites
Carpocratians
Cathars
Marcionism (not entirely Gnostic)
Ophites
Valentinians (see Valentinius)
Hinduism (Vaishnavism)
[edit]
Indigenous religions
The orally transmitted canon of indigenous peoples, many involving some variant of animism and many defunct
African religions
Akamba mythology
Akan mythology
Ashanti mythology
Bushongo mythology
Bwiti
Dahomey mythology
Dinka mythology
Efik mythology
Egyptian mythology
Ibo mythology
Isoko mythology
Khoikhoi mythology
Lotuko mythology
Lugbara mythology
Pygmy mythology
Tumbuka mythology
Yoruba mythology
Zulu mythology
African religions in the New World
Kumina
Obeah
Santería (Lukumi)
Vodou
Candomblé
Macumba
Umbanda and Quimbanda
Xango
European religions
Anglo-Saxon mythology
Basque mythology
Druidry (Celtic Religion)
Finnish mythology
Germanic paganism
Norse mythology
Greek religion
Greek mythology
Mystery religions
Eleusinian Mysteries
Mithraism
Pythagoreanism
Roman religion
Roman mythology
Slavic mythology
Asian religions
Babylonian and Assyrian religion
Babylonian mythology
Chaldean mythology
Sumerian mythology
Bön (Indigenous Tibetan belief)
Chinese mythology
Shinto
Oomoto
Tengrism (Indigenous Mongol, Tartar & Kazakh belief)
Yezidis (Modified indigenous Kurdish belief)
Native American religions
Abenaki mythology
Aztec mythology
Blackfoot mythology
Chippewa mythology
Creek mythology
Crow mythology
Guarani mythology
Haida mythology
Ho-Chunk mythology
Huron mythology
Inuit mythology
Iroquois mythology
Kwakiutl mythology
Lakota mythology
Lenape mythology
Navaho mythology
Nootka mythology
Pawnee mythology
Salish mythology
Selk'nam religion
Seneca mythology
Tsimshian mythology
Ute mythology
Zuni mythology
Oceanic religions
Australian Aboriginal mythology
Balinese mythology
Maori mythology
Modekngei (Republic of Palau)
Nauruan indigenous religion
Polynesian mythology
[edit]
Neopagan or revival religions
Modern religions seeking to recreate indigenous, usually pre-Christian, beliefs and practices
Church of All Worlds
Dievturiba
Germanic Neopaganism also called Ásatrú or Odinism
Hellenic polytheism (modern revivalist forms)
Judeo-Paganism
Maausk
Neo-druidism
Summum
Taarausk
Wicca
Alexandrian Wicca
Dianic Wicca (Feminist Wicca)
Gardnerian Wicca
Faery Wicca
Feri Tradition
[edit]
Non-revealed religions
Philosophies not transmitted by a divine prophet
Carvaka
Confucianism
Deism
Fellowship of Reason
Spiritual Humanism
Mohism
Taoism
[edit]
Left-Hand Path religions
Faiths teaching that the ultimate goal is separating consciousness from the universe, rather than being absorbed by it
Dragon Rouge
Satanism
LaVeyan Satanism
Church of Satan
Order of Nine Angles
Setianism also spelled Sethianism
Temple of Set
The Storm
Quimbanda
[edit]
Syncretic religions
Faiths created from blending earlier religions or that consider all or some religions to be essentially the same
Arčs Pilgrim Movement
Cao Dai
Falun Dafa (Falun Gong)
Huna
Konkokyo
Law of One
Manichaeism
Unitarian Universalism
Universal Life Church
Tenrikyo
Theosophy
Seicho-No-Ie
[edit]
Entheogen religions
Religions based around divinely inspiring substances
Ayahuasca-based beliefs
Church of the Universe (marijuana sacrament)
Peyotism
THC Ministry
[edit]
New religious movements
See List of new religious movements for a list based on other sources
See hereunder for religions founded since 1850 with small followings
Monotheistic NRMs
Direct Worship of the Actual God
Indigenous NRM's
Burkhanism
Cargo cults
Ghost Dance
Native American Church
African Diaspora / Latin American NRM's
Rastafari movement
Umbanda
Candomble
Kardecist Spiritism
Hindu-oriented NRM's
Sai Baba/Sathya Sai Organisation
Hare Krishna
Transcendental Meditation
Sant Mat
Swaminarayan
Vedanta Society
Osho/Rajneeshism
Meher Baba (actually a Zoroastrian)
Oneness University
Aum Shinrikyo (Aleph)
Eckankar
NRM's with Islamic Roots
Subud
Ahmadi
Dances of Universal Peace
Nation of Islam (Black Muslims)
Christian-oriented NRM's
Unification Church
Jesus People
Children of God
People's Temple
Pentecostalism
Holiness movement
Iglesia ni Cristo
Buddhist-oriented NRM's
Soka Gakkai
Won Buddhism
Hoa Hao
Friends of the Western Buddhist Order
Chinese-oriented NRM's
Way of Former Heaven sects, including
I-Kuan Tao ("Way of Unity"),
T'ung-shan She ("Society of Goodness"),
Tien-te Sheng-chiao ("Sacred Religion of Celestial Virtue"),
Daoyuan ("Sanctuary of the Tao"),
Tz'u-hui Tang ("Compassion Society").
Falun Gong ("Dharma Wheel Work," a qigong meditation group)
Japanese-oriented NRM's
Tenrikyo
Seicho no Ie
Johrei (Johrei Movement - Sekai Kyusei Kyo Izunome Kyodan)
Reiki
Oomoto
Soka Gakkai
Aum Shinrikyo (Aleph)
Korean-oriented NRM's
Chondogyo
Jeung San Do
Juche (The personality cult of North Korean leaders)
Unification Church
Vietnamese-oriented NRM's
Caodaism
Hoa Hao
Malaysian-Oriented NRM's
Sky Kingdom
Western Magical / Esoteric Groups
Kardecist Spiritism
Theosophy
Agni Yoga
Anthroposophy
Arcane School
Association for Research and Enlightenment
Church Universal and Triumphant
Golden Dawn
Gurdjieff Work
AMORC
Spiritualism
Eckankar
Thelema
Argenteum Astrum
Fraternitas Saturni
Ordo Templi Orientis
Typhonian Ordo Templi Orientis
Process Church of the Final Judgement
Order of the Solar Temple
White Supremacist Religions
Church of Jesus Christ Christian
World Church of the Creator (Creativity Movement)
Church of the American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan [1]
Black Supremacist Religions
Nuwaubianism
Alien-based religions
The Aetherius Society [2]
Raelism
Scientology
Church of Scientology
Free Zone
Urantia, Book of
Universe people
Other NRM's
Antoinism
Breatharianism (Air cult)
Brianism
Elan Vital
Faithists of Kosmon
Virus, The Church of
Tony Samara
[edit]
Parody or mock religions
Forms of religion or alternative beliefs
Agnosticism
Animism
Atheism
Ditheism (Dualism)
Henotheism
Monolatrism
Humanism
Secular Humanism
Kathenotheism
Maltheism
Monism
Monotheism
Panentheism
Pantheism
Cosmotheism
Polytheism
Shamanism
Suitheism
[edit]
Nonsectarian and trans-sectarian religious movements and practices
[edit]
Esotericism
Alchemy
Anthroposophy
Esoteric Christianity
Freemasonry
Gnosticism
Kabbalah
Occultism
Rosicrucian
Ancient Mystical Order Rosae Crucis
Confraternity of the Rose Cross
Rosicrucian Fellowship
Surat Shabda Yoga
[edit]
Mysticism
Christian mysticism
Gnosticism
Hindu mysticism
Tantra
Ananda Marga Tantra-Yoga
Yoga
Bhakti
Vedanta
Kabbalah (also part of Judaism)
Kabbalah Centre
Martinism
Merkabah (also part of Judaism)
Meditation
Spirituality
Sufism
Theosophy
[edit]
Magic (religion)
Astrology
Divination
Prophecy
Exorcism
Faith healing
Feng Shui
Hoodoo (Rootwork)
New Orleans Voodoo
Magick
Chaos magick
Enochian Magic
Grimoire magick
Goetic magick
Miracles
Pow-wow
Seid (shamanic magic)
Vaastu Shastra (Hinduism)
Witchcraft
[edit]
Ritualism
Prayer
Sacrifice
Animal sacrifice
Human sacrifice
Worship

KCI
02-Jun-08, 10:09
Saveman - good for you, for coming on here to explain and putting a different opinion across.

I think one reason some people complain about Jehova's Witnessess is down to ignorance. Many of us don't understand what they believe in etc, and because we don't listen to them, we still don't know!

I think a lot of people do get annoyed because Jehova's Witnesses call round the houses, and I suppose it's not always convenient for people to have them call.

Does anyone know why they call round the houses in that way? I know it's to tell everyone about their beliefs and religion, but I just wondered why they need to call round the houses? I don't mean that in a nasty way, I'm just interested.

We had a couple of Jehova's Witnesses call round last week. They just came into the garden, and chatted about the flowers etc, and were very friendly. They gave us their leaflets, and that was it. Sometimes the leaflets can be interesting, so it's worth having a look.

Anyway, as someone has already said here, it doesn't cost anything to have manners, and to be polite.

crashbandicoot1979
02-Jun-08, 13:02
I'm not religious in the slightest but I used to really like the JW's that came to my door on a Saturday. We would have a pleasant conversation and they would leave me their leaflets, and tell me that if I wanted to discuss the content they would be more than happy. They were never ever rude and nor did they try and force their literature or beliefs onto me. I moved house so never see them now which is a shame because I used to find the leaflets quite interesting....

BRIE
02-Jun-08, 13:23
Im always very polite to the jehovah witnesses that come calling I dont see the point in being rude.I always take the booklets they hand out & do flick through them as they do usually have some intresting articles.
There doesnt seem to be alot coming door to door here compared to England where they would be someone round every week! I dont understand why they must come knocking on your door though? I remember watching them one day as a group of them pulled up in a car, among them was a teenage boy obviously his first time out going door to door & I felt so sorry for him as he stood crying in the street refusing to budge! surely this isnt teaching them part of religion being forced to preach on doorsteps.
Saveman could you enlighten us as to why your religion come calling on a sunday & why they make the children come too?

webmannie
02-Jun-08, 15:51
I just tell them

`You`ve just knocked at the right time, I was thinking about joining your cult. Seen it on the telly the other day and I could do with another wife.`

`Now come on in and tell me all about this cult thingy, how much is it to join and do you have get togethers and swap car keys?`

They`ve never been back since. I`m probably on some `earmarked for hell` list, but I don`t care`', I say bring it on!!

PS I do know it is the wrong cult, religion, dogooders but hey it works for me!

hotrod4
02-Jun-08, 17:14
Seeing as some find it Ok to slate the JW's I take it ,it will be OK to start again on the Muslims, Poles and my personal favourite Catholics?
Or am I mistaken.
I find it amazing that it seems Ok to slate them yet as soon as you mention Muslims or poles then people come down on you hard on these here forums.
I have my prejudices like most people but it seems some groups are better protected than others!
I look forward to a good debate on Catholicism ;)

3boys4me
02-Jun-08, 18:18
Actually saveman they did tell me my children would go to hell as we wouuldn't be in the special 100,000 or whatever it is.
Suicide is also a sin in the bible and refusing to accept a life saving blood transfusion brought to us by the miracle of modren day science equates to the same thing in my book. If you want to do thAt fine but no one should be able to make that decision for children.

bekisman
02-Jun-08, 19:01
Hi Saveman,
Earlier I asked if your beliefs had anything to do with your nickname, obviously it does not, (sorry) Re: your posting Feb 06; "Mine is short for Saveman: my superhero alter-ego when I was about seven" that's sorted then..

George Brims
02-Jun-08, 20:29

<long list deleted>

Your list, although comprehensive, omits my personal belief system, Evangelical Hedonism. I've been known to tell people at the front door that's my creed. Last time I did so, one of the ladies said it was fine that I was an evangelical. The other one (obviously better read) just looked at her and shook her head.

oldmarine
02-Jun-08, 20:47

Bábísm
Bahá'í
Bahá'í Faith
Orthodox Bahá'í Faith
Islam
Kharijites
Nation of Islam
Shiite
Alawites
Ismailis
Jafari
Zaiddiyah
Ghulat including
Alevi / Bektashi
Ahl-e Haqq
Yazidi
Druze
Ahmadi
Sunni
Berailvi
Deobandi
Hanafi
Hanbali
Maliki
Mu'tazili
Shafi'i
Wahhabi
Sufism
Naqshbandi
Bektashi
Chishti
Mevlevi
Zikri
Judaism (see also: Jew; Hebrews)
Contemporary divisions
Karaite Judaism
Rabbinic Judaism
Orthodox Judaism
Haredi Judaism
Hassidic Judaism
Modern Orthodox Judaism
Reform Judaism
Conservative Judaism (Masorti)
Reconstructionist Judaism (arguably not a religion)
Humanistic Judaism (arguably not a religion)
Historical Sects
Hasmoneans
Essenes
Pharisees
Sadducees
Zealots
Sicarii
sects that believed Jesus was a prophet
Ebionites
Elkasites
Nazarenes
Crypto-Jews
Marranos
Conversos
Christianity (see List of Christian denominations)
Eastern Orthodoxy
Roman Catholicism
Oriental Orthodoxy (Monophysitism)
Nestorianism
Protestantism
Anabaptists
Anglicans
Baptists
Lutherans
Methodists
Pentecostals
Reformed
Calvinism
Presbyterian
Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
Unitarians
Waldensians
Latter-day Saints
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Community of Christ
Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Seventh-day Adventist
Jehovah's Witnesses
Messianic Judaism (not actually Judaism but rather Jewish-rite Christianity)
Samaritans
Mandaeanists
Rastafarians
Black Hebrews
Hebrew Christians
[edit]
Dharmic religions
Religions with a concept of Dharma, also major religions of historical India
Hinduism (see also Contemporary Hindu movements)
Agama Hindu Dharma (Javanese Hinduism)
Shaivism
Shaktism
Smartism
Vaishnavism
Gaudiya Vaishnavism
ISKCON (Hare Krishna)
Sri Krishna Chaitanya Mission
Six major schools and movements of Hindu philosophy
Samkhya
Nyaya
Vaisheshika
Purva mimamsa
Vedanta (Uttar Mimamsa)
Advaita Vedanta
Integral Yoga
Yoga
Ashtanga Yoga
Hatha yoga
Siddha Yoga
Tantric Yoga
Ayyavazhi
Shramana Religions
Buddhism (see Schools of Buddhism)
Mahayana
Nikaya schools (which have historically been called Hinayana in the West)
Theravada
Vajrayana (Tantric Buddhism)
Jainism
Digambara
Shvetambara
Panth Religions
Sikhism
Kabir Panth
Dadu Panth
[edit]
Other revealed religions
Believers in one God, also called classical monotheism, who follow an Indo-European culture of belief, philosophy and angelology.
Zoroastrianism
Magus (see Three Wise Men)
Gnosticism
Basilidians
Bogomils
Borborites
Cainites
Carpocratians
Cathars
Marcionism (not entirely Gnostic)
Ophites
Valentinians (see Valentinius)
Hinduism (Vaishnavism)
[edit]
Indigenous religions
The orally transmitted canon of indigenous peoples, many involving some variant of animism and many defunct
African religions
Akamba mythology
Akan mythology
Ashanti mythology
Bushongo mythology
Bwiti
Dahomey mythology
Dinka mythology
Efik mythology
Egyptian mythology
Ibo mythology
Isoko mythology
Khoikhoi mythology
Lotuko mythology
Lugbara mythology
Pygmy mythology
Tumbuka mythology
Yoruba mythology
Zulu mythology
African religions in the New World
Kumina
Obeah
Santería (Lukumi)
Vodou
Candomblé
Macumba
Umbanda and Quimbanda
Xango
European religions
Anglo-Saxon mythology
Basque mythology
Druidry (Celtic Religion)
Finnish mythology
Germanic paganism
Norse mythology
Greek religion
Greek mythology
Mystery religions
Eleusinian Mysteries
Mithraism
Pythagoreanism
Roman religion
Roman mythology
Slavic mythology
Asian religions
Babylonian and Assyrian religion
Babylonian mythology
Chaldean mythology
Sumerian mythology
Bön (Indigenous Tibetan belief)
Chinese mythology
Shinto
Oomoto
Tengrism (Indigenous Mongol, Tartar & Kazakh belief)
Yezidis (Modified indigenous Kurdish belief)
Native American religions
Abenaki mythology
Aztec mythology
Blackfoot mythology
Chippewa mythology
Creek mythology
Crow mythology
Guarani mythology
Haida mythology
Ho-Chunk mythology
Huron mythology
Inuit mythology
Iroquois mythology
Kwakiutl mythology
Lakota mythology
Lenape mythology
Navaho mythology
Nootka mythology
Pawnee mythology
Salish mythology
Selk'nam religion
Seneca mythology
Tsimshian mythology
Ute mythology
Zuni mythology
Oceanic religions
Australian Aboriginal mythology
Balinese mythology
Maori mythology
Modekngei (Republic of Palau)
Nauruan indigenous religion
Polynesian mythology
[edit]
Neopagan or revival religions
Modern religions seeking to recreate indigenous, usually pre-Christian, beliefs and practices
Church of All Worlds
Dievturiba
Germanic Neopaganism also called Ásatrú or Odinism
Hellenic polytheism (modern revivalist forms)
Judeo-Paganism
Maausk
Neo-druidism
Summum
Taarausk
Wicca
Alexandrian Wicca
Dianic Wicca (Feminist Wicca)
Gardnerian Wicca
Faery Wicca
Feri Tradition
[edit]
Non-revealed religions
Philosophies not transmitted by a divine prophet
Carvaka
Confucianism
Deism
Fellowship of Reason
Spiritual Humanism
Mohism
Taoism
[edit]
Left-Hand Path religions
Faiths teaching that the ultimate goal is separating consciousness from the universe, rather than being absorbed by it
Dragon Rouge
Satanism
LaVeyan Satanism
Church of Satan
Order of Nine Angles
Setianism also spelled Sethianism
Temple of Set
The Storm
Quimbanda
[edit]
Syncretic religions
Faiths created from blending earlier religions or that consider all or some religions to be essentially the same
Arčs Pilgrim Movement
Cao Dai
Falun Dafa (Falun Gong)
Huna
Konkokyo
Law of One
Manichaeism
Unitarian Universalism
Universal Life Church
Tenrikyo
Theosophy
Seicho-No-Ie
[edit]
Entheogen religions
Religions based around divinely inspiring substances
Ayahuasca-based beliefs
Church of the Universe (marijuana sacrament)
Peyotism
THC Ministry
[edit]
New religious movements
See List of new religious movements for a list based on other sources
See hereunder for religions founded since 1850 with small followings
Monotheistic NRMs
Direct Worship of the Actual God
Indigenous NRM's
Burkhanism
Cargo cults
Ghost Dance
Native American Church
African Diaspora / Latin American NRM's
Rastafari movement
Umbanda
Candomble
Kardecist Spiritism
Hindu-oriented NRM's
Sai Baba/Sathya Sai Organisation
Hare Krishna
Transcendental Meditation
Sant Mat
Swaminarayan
Vedanta Society
Osho/Rajneeshism
Meher Baba (actually a Zoroastrian)
Oneness University
Aum Shinrikyo (Aleph)
Eckankar
NRM's with Islamic Roots
Subud
Ahmadi
Dances of Universal Peace
Nation of Islam (Black Muslims)
Christian-oriented NRM's
Unification Church
Jesus People
Children of God
People's Temple
Pentecostalism
Holiness movement
Iglesia ni Cristo
Buddhist-oriented NRM's
Soka Gakkai
Won Buddhism
Hoa Hao
Friends of the Western Buddhist Order
Chinese-oriented NRM's
Way of Former Heaven sects, including
I-Kuan Tao ("Way of Unity"),
T'ung-shan She ("Society of Goodness"),
Tien-te Sheng-chiao ("Sacred Religion of Celestial Virtue"),
Daoyuan ("Sanctuary of the Tao"),
Tz'u-hui Tang ("Compassion Society").
Falun Gong ("Dharma Wheel Work," a qigong meditation group)
Japanese-oriented NRM's
Tenrikyo
Seicho no Ie
Johrei (Johrei Movement - Sekai Kyusei Kyo Izunome Kyodan)
Reiki
Oomoto
Soka Gakkai
Aum Shinrikyo (Aleph)
Korean-oriented NRM's
Chondogyo
Jeung San Do
Juche (The personality cult of North Korean leaders)
Unification Church
Vietnamese-oriented NRM's
Caodaism
Hoa Hao
Malaysian-Oriented NRM's
Sky Kingdom
Western Magical / Esoteric Groups
Kardecist Spiritism
Theosophy
Agni Yoga
Anthroposophy
Arcane School
Association for Research and Enlightenment
Church Universal and Triumphant
Golden Dawn
Gurdjieff Work
AMORC
Spiritualism
Eckankar
Thelema
Argenteum Astrum
Fraternitas Saturni
Ordo Templi Orientis
Typhonian Ordo Templi Orientis
Process Church of the Final Judgement
Order of the Solar Temple
White Supremacist Religions
Church of Jesus Christ Christian
World Church of the Creator (Creativity Movement)
Church of the American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan [1]
Black Supremacist Religions
Nuwaubianism
Alien-based religions
The Aetherius Society [2]
Raelism
Scientology
Church of Scientology
Free Zone
Urantia, Book of
Universe people
Other NRM's
Antoinism
Breatharianism (Air cult)
Brianism
Elan Vital
Faithists of Kosmon
Virus, The Church of
Tony Samara
[edit]
Parody or mock religions
Forms of religion or alternative beliefs
Agnosticism
Animism
Atheism
Ditheism (Dualism)
Henotheism
Monolatrism
Humanism
Secular Humanism
Kathenotheism
Maltheism
Monism
Monotheism
Panentheism
Pantheism
Cosmotheism
Polytheism
Shamanism
Suitheism
[edit]
Nonsectarian and trans-sectarian religious movements and practices
[edit]
Esotericism
Alchemy
Anthroposophy
Esoteric Christianity
Freemasonry
Gnosticism
Kabbalah
Occultism
Rosicrucian
Ancient Mystical Order Rosae Crucis
Confraternity of the Rose Cross
Rosicrucian Fellowship
Surat Shabda Yoga
[edit]
Mysticism
Christian mysticism
Gnosticism
Hindu mysticism
Tantra
Ananda Marga Tantra-Yoga
Yoga
Bhakti
Vedanta
Kabbalah (also part of Judaism)
Kabbalah Centre
Martinism
Merkabah (also part of Judaism)
Meditation
Spirituality
Sufism
Theosophy
[edit]
Magic (religion)
Astrology
Divination
Prophecy
Exorcism
Faith healing
Feng Shui
Hoodoo (Rootwork)
New Orleans Voodoo
Magick
Chaos magick
Enochian Magic
Grimoire magick
Goetic magick
Miracles
Pow-wow
Seid (shamanic magic)
Vaastu Shastra (Hinduism)
Witchcraft
[edit]
Ritualism
Prayer
Sacrifice
Animal sacrifice
Human sacrifice
Worship

GOOD GRAVY. I BELIEVE YOU LISTED JUST ABOUT EVERYONE. DON'T BELIEVE YOU MISSED ANYONE. HOWEVER, IS IT OKAY TO DISAGREE WITH YOU? OR ARE YOU THE EXPERT ON ALL OF THE ABOVE BELIEFS?

bekisman
02-Jun-08, 20:59
Old Marine; 'GOOD GRAVY. I BELIEVE YOU LISTED JUST ABOUT EVERYONE. DON'T BELIEVE YOU MISSED ANYONE. HOWEVER, IS IT OKAY TO DISAGREE WITH YOU? OR ARE YOU THE EXPERT ON ALL OF THE ABOVE BELIEFS?'

George Brims think I did (miss one). No really, I'm no expert, just thought as a number of folks on here were kicking the JW's, thought I'd mention there are plenty of others:D

George Brims
03-Jun-08, 01:42
I'm sure there are even more - but mine is more fun than most. [lol]

honey
03-Jun-08, 09:13
Seeing as some find it Ok to slate the JW's I take it ,it will be OK to start again on the Muslims, Poles and my personal favourite Catholics?

apart from the odd snippet of humour (which id hope we arent to pc to be able to partake in now) i dont think anyone was actually having a "go" at JWs.

Like i said in my last post, i wont slate anyones religion, even if i dont agree with their beleifs, they are as entitled to theirs as i am to mine, but i do object to people comeing to my door saling their "wares".... and that includes religion..

If i want to know about your church.. i will come to it, i dont push my views on others, so they dont need to come to my home to push theirs on me..