PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else noticed?

Ash
30-May-08, 19:49
is it just me or is tesco in thurso getting more expensive, i have noticed wee thing i have been buying have jumped it 20-60p more, no its not much but it all adds up......:confused

emb123
30-May-08, 21:10
is it just me or is tesco in thurso getting more expensive, i have noticed wee thing i have been buying have jumped it 20-60p more, no its not much but it all adds up......:confused
Oh yes I've noticed exactly the same thing; a few pennies here, ten pence there, a couple of pence somewhere else. For certain Tesco understand that every little helps..... them.

What got me was the price jump on Healthy Living Greek-style yoghurt. It went up from 46p which it had been for about a year to 78p, overnight. Was a different Tesco, down the line, and it was August 2006, but the price never came back down again. Asda followed suit a day later bumping up their price to match Tesco exactly and then the followig day so did Sainsburys. There hadn't been some mass die-off of cattle causing there to be a shortage of milk, it was just weird.

You'll probably find that if you ask them about it then they'll say it's because of the price of diesel.

quirbal
30-May-08, 22:12
Unfortunately people we just have to get used to it. Cheap food and oil are a thing of the past. We are going to start paying a 'proper' price for things.

Hard to accept I know but it cannot be avoided. If the cost of things like wheat rocket in a year surely you have to pay a higher price for your food?

Same with oil and gas folks, we only have a certain amount of it and can only extract a certain amount at a time (maybe we could currently extract more than we are).

Prices are going to stay higher than we have been used to in the recent past and you can blame anyone you like but it aint going to make a difference.

emb123
30-May-08, 22:40
Quibal I don't generally have cause to disagree with you whatsoever and I'm not disagreeing with you now - I think you are basically correct, but I do take issue - slightly you understand - with the tone.

The concept behind paying the 'proper' price implies to my mind that up to now we have been paying an improper one, one that was false, a cheat or swindle of some kind.

We have been paying a lower price because that was the price. Period. It was the proper price. At the time.

The prices have gone up. All indicators say that nearly everything is going up and up, and up, and up in price.

I agree we are simply going to have to get used to it, however to say that we are simply going to have to accept it (meekly, quietly like good well-mannered children doing as they are told) and just shut up and pay the new 'proper' prices rather assumes can pay, won't pay. For many people, the spiralling cost of food, heat and transport fuel is becoming a real problem.

It isn't simply a case of paying a bit more for everything, it becomes a constant robbing of Peter to pay Paul. Sooner or later both Peter AND Paul knock on the door at the same time expecting to be paid.

_Ju_
31-May-08, 07:47
You'll probably find that if you ask them about it then they'll say it's because of the price of diesel.

And feed.... we'll just have to get used to it...

Valerie Campbell
31-May-08, 11:31
We used to buy soft cheese and in one week it went up from 53p to 85p. Milk was the same - up by 20p. Pizza we used to get - up by 16p, again in one week. That's why I now shop around.

balto
31-May-08, 11:34
my mum was saying the same thing about the one in wick, seems they have settled in so they feel they can put their prices up, i am just glad i stayed with the coop.

Anne x
31-May-08, 11:59
I dont think the increases are confined to Thurso and Wick its all over the country prices everywhere are increasing

Venture
31-May-08, 12:39
I dont think the increases are confined to Thurso and Wick its all over the country prices everywhere are increasing

This is true Anne x. Its not only food prices that are going up. Fuel increases have a knock on effect. If I feel an item I buy on a regular basis has become expensive I usually look for an alternative. Most supermarkets have their own value range which nine times out of ten is the same product at the higher price but in less expensive packaging. Shopping around is time consuming and uses up more fuel just to save a few pence. Surely in this day and age with the huge range offered by supermarkets, alternatives can be found under the same roof.

Cattach
31-May-08, 14:28

Notced the same in other shops in the town and in Tesco, Wick so I guess it is simply inflation. And, of course with the increase in diesel prices and us being at the end of the line e will suffer most.
Try shopping at Lidlt - best prices in town and they have an ever increasing stock of brands from the well known companies.

Ash
31-May-08, 21:45
we did a shop in lidl two weeks ago, came out with hardly anything and seemed to have spent a fair bit, dont find them as good as they used to be