PDA

View Full Version : BBC Radio Scotland

Mr P Cannop
30-May-08, 07:56
what are they doing up in Wick ??

the second coming
30-May-08, 08:03
It's the Tom Morton show, most afternoons. Very good music, bit irritating DJ. He's traveling down to Aberdeen from Shetland and stopping off in Wick for 3 days. Mackays Hotel I think. Why hes in Wick? Dunno, It's in Scotland I guess so comes under the remit of Radio Scotland.

silverfox57
30-May-08, 10:11
where better than the royal burgh of wick,

joxville
30-May-08, 11:34

Thurso perhaps?

mccaugm
30-May-08, 11:48
Does anyone actually listen to Radio Scotland ? I have occasionally flicked channels on the radio and accidentally put it on. It is amateurish, the presenters all sound exactly the same and it only considers folk from Glasgow/Edinburgh and surrounding areas. The rest of the country rarely gets a look in. Its truly awful.

joxville
30-May-08, 12:00
Does anyone actually listen to Radio Scotland ? I have occasionally flicked channels on the radio and accidentally put it on. It is amateurish, the presenters all sound exactly the same and it only considers folk from Glasgow/Edinburgh and surrounding areas. The rest of the country rarely gets a look in. Its truly awful.

The only time I ever listened to Radio Scotland was when Tam Cowan and Stuart Cosgrove done 2 shows on Saturday afternoon's called (I think) On The Ball & Off The Ball but since I left Scotland 6 years ago I don't know if they are still on. As to a Central Scotland bias I really couldn't say

emb123
30-May-08, 12:09
Aye maccaugm, I know what you mean. I know it makes folks cringe, although I would extend the scope of its broadcasting focus to Aberdeen.

The only program I listen to regularly is Archie Fisher's Travelling Folk which is really good if you like that sort of thing.

Most people I've heard mention Radio Scotland call it 'too provinical' or 'too Scottish' and various other words
as well. It's very BBC 1960 Edinburgh.

I think it's ok sometimes.

Camra
30-May-08, 13:11
Might be something to do with Pulteneytown Distillery Ball tonight. I believe he appreciates a decent dram

DeHaviLand
30-May-08, 21:03

I have Radio Scotland on from 9.00am until 8.00pm, and I have real difficulty reconciling anything you have said, with what I actually hear. Maybe you should listen to it before passing such scathing judgements.

mccaugm
30-May-08, 21:51
I have Radio Scotland on from 9.00am until 8.00pm, and I have real difficulty reconciling anything you have said, with what I actually hear. Maybe you should listen to it before passing such scathing judgements.

I have that is why I made the comments in the first place.

DeHaviLand
30-May-08, 22:06
I have that is why I made the comments in the first place.

No, I mean listen to it, rather than hear what you want to hear.

mccaugm
30-May-08, 22:26
I have had to listen to it hubby occasionally puts it on in the car. It is awful and it grates me that my licence fee funds this tripe. If you enjoy listening to it then fair enough but I find it nauseating.

It paints a very old fashioned view of Scotland that we are all porridge eating, kilt wearing, whiskey swilling, football obsessed patriots.

Tighsonas4
31-May-08, 09:43
No, I mean listen to it, rather than hear what you want to hear.
maybe they will be staying in mackays hotel and dining in weatherspoons [lol]tony

hotrod4
31-May-08, 13:16

Thought you were describing Caithnes FM there ;).
The Saturday afternoon Dj sounds like hes half a sleep and plays stoopid ads on an old tape deck!.
I only listen To radio Scotland when the footie is on or Off the ball just because Jim Traynor makes me mad :)
Have fond memories of my Grandad listening to "take to the floor" on a Friday evening though.

Cattach
31-May-08, 14:22

The best town in the county might be better. It is better placed and a lot tidier and busier in the nice town centre - Oh, better tell you, its Thurso. We might not have a big Tesco but we don't have boarded up shop windows in our town centre either.

Cattach
31-May-08, 14:24

Forget to say in earlier posting - there is no such thing nowadays as Royal Burghs. The designation was dumped a year or two ago. Think it was someting to do with the fact that lots had got this 'honour' without much merit in days gone by!!

hotrod4
31-May-08, 14:45
The best town in the county might be better. It is better placed and a lot tidier and busier in the nice town centre - Oh, better tell you, its Thurso. We might not have a big Tesco but we don't have boarded up shop windows in our town centre either.

How can Thurso be better?
All you get from Thurso is RADIATION and a longing to be 21 miles South in the bonny bonny Town of Week, where at least the Women dont have beards!!!! ;)

Cattach
31-May-08, 14:45

Quote from Reference Info on Web. Note words 'former burgh'.

Wick (Inbhir Uige in Gaelic,e) is an estuary town and a former burgh in the north of the Highland council area of Scotland. Historically, it is one of two burghs within the county of Caithness, of which Wick was the county town. The town straddles the River Wick and extends along both sides of Wick Bay. It has a population of about 9,000.

Cattach
31-May-08, 14:48
All you get from Thurso is RADIATION and a longing to be 21 miles South in the bonny bonny Town of Week, where at least the Women dont have beards!!!! ;)

Very droll! Of course, all those Weekers have been delighted to travel all the way to Thurso and beyond to make good wages at the source of the radiation. Without Thurso and Dounreay Week would still be a wee backwater.

hotrod4
31-May-08, 15:44
Very droll! Of course, all those Weekers have been delighted to travel all the way to Thurso and beyond to make good wages at the source of the radiation. Without Thurso and Dounreay Week would still be a wee backwater.

The weekers had to go to Dounreay to work cos the Thurso fowk were too busy cashing their giros to work ;) jok
Wick was a big busy port long before yon big golf ball was built so it would never be a backwater.

mccaugm
31-May-08, 18:30

This is silly I am independant, from Ross-Shire originally, married to a Wicker and live in Halkirk. I prefer Thurso because its cleaner and the town centre is a lot more appealing. Sorry Wick but you really need to sort out your High Street.

silverfox57
31-May-08, 19:26
caught one or two fine fish with bait,having close relationship with both towns, no to well about some wars between towns,one bus from wick.one bus from thurso on saturday nights in late 1960ths at dunnet hall for dance,:lol:not so ruff on keyboard:lol:

Tighsonas4
31-May-08, 21:58
Forget to say in earlier posting - there is no such thing nowadays as Royal Burghs. The designation was dumped a year or two ago. Think it was someting to do with the fact that lots had got this 'honour' without much merit in days gone by!!
since when was the royal burgh thing dumped. not that it makes any difference.but would have thought they would have taken off the plaque from the bridge etc @@@@@ TONY

joxville
31-May-08, 22:10
since when was the royal burgh thing dumped. not that it makes any difference.but would have thought they would have taken off the plaque from the bridge etc @@@@@ TONY

I think they should leave it where it is as a reminder of the towns past, although eventually the 'right on' brigade who want to erase history will ask for it to be removed.

Camra
01-Jun-08, 19:29
I despair at those who should know better descending into petty squabbling. Talk about hi-jacking a thread. This reinforces things i hate about Caithness, small mindedness and patronising attitudes. There are so many worse places to live, you should consider yourselves very lucky. Stop it or I'll get my big brother to sort you out.

hotrod4
01-Jun-08, 21:07
I despair at those who should know better descending into petty squabbling. Talk about hi-jacking a thread. This reinforces things i hate about Caithness, small mindedness and patronising attitudes. There are so many worse places to live, you should consider yourselves very lucky. Stop it or I'll get my big brother to sort you out.

I wouldnt call it petty squabbling, more like light hearted banter ;)

embow
01-Jun-08, 21:47
I have had to listen to it hubby occasionally puts it on in the car. It is awful and it grates me that my licence fee funds this tripe. If you enjoy listening to it then fair enough but I find it nauseating.

It paints a very old fashioned view of Scotland that we are all porridge eating, kilt wearing, whiskey swilling, football obsessed patriots.

Totally disagree. There are some excellent current affairs programmes and one of the best music programmes can be heard every week night from 10.30pm to 12.30am-- The Ian Anderson Show, which incidentally has a large global fan base due to the internet. Often messages come in from Scandinavia,Western Europe, Canada, The States etc.
The News and Business news is well covered as well on a national level.
Best of all it doesn't have cringe worthy adverts!

domino
01-Jun-08, 22:56
Well said. could not agree more

domino
01-Jun-08, 22:58
Wis it no the Weekers that kept Dounreay going?

silverfox57
02-Jun-08, 07:20
sorry camra ,as should know better as caithness born and bred, I should know better than upset orgers,:lol: as for your big brother hope is slow at running as I can run as fast as a fox away:lol: posted this last night but computer said no?this is not hi=jack,just responce,

zappster
02-Jun-08, 13:36
The weekers had to go to Dounreay to work cos the Thurso fowk were too busy cashing their giros to work ;) jok
Wick was a big busy port long before yon big golf ball was built so it would never be a backwater. well said there Hotrod some people just blurt out without thinking eh?..didn't take long for the wick vs thurso bitterness to raise its ugly head & change the whole course of the thread as per usual

mccaugm
02-Jun-08, 14:41
Why are Wick and Thurso people so hostile to one another...does this go back to recent times or is it much further back.

I can only make generalisations so don't shoot me. I moved here a couple of years ago after marrying a Wicker.

I find that people from Wick tend to prefer to be with other Wickers but people from Thurso are more social in their outlook. Is this because of Dounereay and the influx of people from different parts of the UK and abroad?

Camra
02-Jun-08, 20:20
Yes indeedie.......Mr Morton was indeed a Guest Speaker at the Pulteneytown Distillery do.
Perhaps it was a cover for the Radio Scotland Special Forces covert operation to disrupt Moray Firth Radio and Caithness FM

hotrod4
02-Jun-08, 20:41
Why are Wick and Thurso people so hostile to one another...does this go back to recent times or is it much further back.

I can only make generalisations so don't shoot me. I moved here a couple of years ago after marrying a Wicker.

I find that people from Wick tend to prefer to be with other Wickers but people from Thurso are more social in their outlook. Is this because of Dounereay and the influx of people from different parts of the UK and abroad?

Sorry if I came across wrong.
I only mentioned How good Wick was because I know it gets a reaction.
Its only for a laugh as Sometimes people take things soooooooooo seriously.
I have nothing against Thurso,some of my best mates come from there.
Its along the same lines as I am Rangers and some mates are celtic, its all banter, no malice, just good fun, but I undertsand some dont take it that way.
I was only havin a laugh, all that I said was untrue, except the beards, now that is true!!!!! ;)

silverfox57
03-Jun-08, 06:39
Sorry if I came across wrong.
I only mentioned How good Wick was because I know it gets a reaction.
Its only for a laugh as Sometimes people take things soooooooooo seriously.
I have nothing against Thurso,some of my best mates come from there.
Its along the same lines as I am Rangers and some mates are celtic, its all banter, no malice, just good fun, but I undertsand some dont take it that way.
I was only havin a laugh, all that I said was untrue, except the beards, now that is true!!!!! ;)
hodtrod agree with you as was just having a bit of fun on this thread as well.oh and family belong to thurso,have many friends in both towns,my father inlaw sadly past away few years ago,would joke with me by saying the only good thing about wick was the road to thurso:lol: it only at bit of fun.:lol: