PDA

View Full Version : Round-Up? Rip-Off!

gardeninginagale
29-May-08, 19:41
I was replying to another thread when the subject of Round-Up cropped up.

I'm (almost) organic at home, but at work I have to use herbicides (weedkiller). Round-Up, thanks to very clever marketing by the manufacturer, Monsanto, has become a household name, like Hoover.

But there are other makes of vacuum, some as good, some better, and many cheaper. The same is true of Round-Up.

The principal constituent of Round-Up is glyphosate. Brand names are irrelevant. Don't buy Round-Up. Just don't. It is grossly over-priced.

Go to Allans or Geddes, ask for glyphosate, and take any brand name they offer. It doesn't matter. You are buying the chemical glyphosate, not the brand name. You'll get five litres for no more than you'll pay for one litre of Round-Up.

Above all, don't buy the "Ready-to-Use" Round-Up, even if it has a "free" applicator. Because it is ready to use, it is pre-diluted, so it is 98% water. A friend bought this stuff, and it cost over twenty quid. I worked out that buying concentrated glyphosate, and diluting it yourself, would produce the same quantity for less than 50p. Is that a rip-off?

It is in my book.

Dorsetjoy
05-Jun-08, 23:26
Thanks so much for the tip. We have been using Roundup and it could just as
well be fertilizer as far as the plants are concerned.