PDA

View Full Version : If aliens landed....

AfternoonDelight
29-May-08, 12:23
If aliens landed on earth in 50,000 years time and all humankind had been wiped out, what 3 things would you leave for them as examples of our existence?

Mine would be:

1. Lance Armstrong's autobiography (a shining example of the human spirit and the need to survive)

2. A Microsoft Windows disc (to represent both the computer generation and human greed)

3. A piece of my brain (just incase they could spark it up again and rebuild me)

I am assuming that said aliens are so clever as to be able to read our language as well...

JamesMcVean
29-May-08, 14:30
I think I would leave a letter warning them not to create human kind again...:cool:

MadPict
29-May-08, 14:38
If aliens landed on earth in 50,000 years time and all humankind had been wiped out, what 3 things would you leave for them as examples of our existence?

Mine would be:

1. Lance Armstrong's autobiography (a shining example of the human spirit and the need to survive)

Would have crumbled to dust long before they get to read it....

2. A Microsoft Windows disc (to represent both the computer generation and human greed)

Would be totally useless by then as the data would have faded...

3. A piece of my brain (just incase they could spark it up again and rebuild me)

Something would have eaten it or it would have rotted to nothing...

I am assuming that said aliens are so clever as to be able to read our language as well...

If they could find anything left with writing on it!!!

There was an interesting documentary on the other night about what would happen if humans just vanished off the face of the Earth.

All our great cities and achievements would disappear within a few centuries. It seems ironic that with our technology it would be useless compared to the likes of the Egyptians use of stone and hieroglyphs to record their lives.

http://www.history.com/minisites/life_after_people

dandod
29-May-08, 20:35
i'd eat my hat!!!

ps tell them not to go to wetherspoons they man handle the food!!

Flair
30-May-08, 10:42
Would be totally useless by then as the data would have faded...

And would probably be incompatible with their equipment anyway even if there was anything left of it. Compatibility mode is one thing but 50,000 years is something else.

Plus discs will probably be obsolete in 50,000 years time anyway.

dogman
31-May-08, 10:26
i wouldn't leave anything, i would greet them(because i'm immortal, you see) then we would go to the alien pub, have an alien pint and have a jolly good time!

brokencross
31-May-08, 10:42
Older copies of the Oor Wullie and The Broons Annual for how innocent life could and should be. A social history in pictures and words.

MadPict
31-May-08, 11:09
i wouldn't leave anything, i would greet them(because i'm immortal, you see) then we would go to the alien pub, have an alien pint and have a jolly good time!

Martian pub perhaps?........;)

dogman
31-May-08, 11:14
i see what you did there.......

joxville
31-May-08, 15:21
I think I would leave a letter warning them not to create human kind again...:cool:

I'm with you on that one James. It makes me think of a quote from Albert Einstein, he said "I don't know how the third world war will be fought, but the fourth will be with sticks and stones". Sobering word's indeed.

hotrod4
31-May-08, 15:46
I would redirect the little green men to the org,once they read some of the posts on the forums they would be back in their spaceship and back to Mars before you could say percy toboggan! ;)

trix
31-May-08, 17:52

cheers for 'e link madpict...

wis vext that i mist'ed 'e ither nite. herd all aboot'ed, cana wait til watch'ed now....

hev a nice w'end :D:D

AfternoonDelight
04-Jun-08, 12:09

Would have crumbled to dust long before they get to read it.... - I'm right...

Would be totally useless by then as the data would have faded... - I'm right again...

Something would have eaten it or it would have rotted to nothing... - I told you - I'm always right!!

If they could find anything left with writing on it!!! - I ALWAYS write in bold when I'm right!!

There was an interesting documentary on the other night about what would happen if humans just vanished off the face of the Earth.

All our great cities and achievements would disappear within a few centuries. It seems ironic that with our technology it would be useless compared to the likes of the Egyptians use of stone and hieroglyphs to record their lives.

My word, Madpict, do you ever get bored with being so right or do you actually have an ounce of fun and imagination in you? I'll find it somehow - I know I will!!! :roll:

Perhaps I should have said "dismissing science, technology, beasties and Madpict's need to be right... blah blah"

Take the thread as it was meant - lighthearted - why does everything have to be so bloody serious?

Jeez... [disgust]

MadPict
04-Jun-08, 12:52
Oh dear - seems like someone has edited my post! Am I right? :p

I wasn't sure if you had perhaps seen the Life After Humans documentary hence your original post. But on the off chance it was a coincidence that you posted this very question, I thought I would answer your original post point by point and I used bold to differentiate between your choices of what to leave and what would happen in the intervening 50,000 years.
Maybe I should have used a nice colour then you wouldn't have thought I was being right all the time ;)
I have edited it and removed the bold. Is that better?

I thought the programme was interesting (though a bit long) and if the scientists are right there will be little left of civilisation to show we even existed. I think the Hoover Dam will be one of the longest remaining structures. Maybe even the Great Wall of China might still be visible.

And I do have an ounce of fun and imagination - or would that be 28.3495231 grams....

scorrie
04-Jun-08, 13:00

Mine would be:

1. Fern Britton's weight loss video

2. A Zoo with only cockroaches left in it.

3. "Humans on the Piss Tour 3500BC-2012AD" T-shirt

That about covers it I think.

Rheghead
04-Jun-08, 13:01
3 plastic landmines.

scorrie
04-Jun-08, 13:02
I think the Hoover Dam will be one of the longest remaining structures.

What about the damn hoover?