PDA

View Full Version : Barbeque Etiquette

AfternoonDelight
29-May-08, 12:03
You get invited to a BBQ - Do you.......

- Take nothing as you are a guest and have been invited to eat and drink with them.
- Take Desert
- Take drink only
- Take meat only to put on the BBQ
- Take meat and drink
- Take meat, drink and desert

I have left out salad, potatos etc as one would assume the host will provide that.

Just wondered what peoples opinions are of what is 'right' to do when being invited to a friends BBQ.

honey
29-May-08, 12:05
i generally only go to my sister in laws for a BBQ, so maybe its more laidback, but i just ask her wahat she wants us to bring/buy towards it as it... and we also bring soemthing to drink too.

mama2
29-May-08, 12:54
Im sure your host will have everything covered but I would take a bottle of wine to say thank you and some sausages and burgers aswell.

Dog-eared
29-May-08, 13:00
BBQ meat and drink. Plus help with the cooking. BBQs are less fun for the hosts if they spend all the time tied to the cooking. :)

floyed
29-May-08, 13:38
If it was family or one of my close friends, i would take drink. And just ask what food they wanted me to take, so they wouldn't get loads of the same thing.

If it was someone else i would take some drink to say thank you:D And if they asked for food to be taking i would take that to.

chaz
29-May-08, 14:15
If it was family or one of my close friends, i would take drink. And just ask what food they wanted me to take, so they wouldn't get loads of the same thing.

If it was someone else i would take some drink to say thank you:D And if they asked for food to be taking i would take that to.

Yes it all depends on how well you know them so floyed i would be the same as you.

canuck
29-May-08, 14:39
You get invited to a BBQ - Do you.......

- Take nothing as you are a guest and have been invited to eat and drink with them.
- Take Desert
- Take drink only
- Take meat only to put on the BBQ
- Take meat and drink
- Take meat, drink and desert

I have left out salad, potatos etc as one would assume the host will provide that.

Just wondered what peoples opinions are of what is 'right' to do when being invited to a friends BBQ.

Interesting question! And a great learning experience for me as I get used to Scottish ways.

Coming at your question from a North American perspective, salad is the one thing I would consider taking, and if I was asked by the host to contribute anything, it would likely be a salad.

BRIE
29-May-08, 14:43
id take drink but would ask the host if they would like food taking too.

YummyMummy
29-May-08, 16:04
I would take a bottle of something and also something that may not be there already - like an alternative dessert or some fruit kebabs or bowl of prepared strawberries/melon. That way, there's less likelihood of all the guests taking meat, burgers & sausages and there being a huge pile of excess food that might go to waste.

Hope the sun shines for it!

Ricco
29-May-08, 16:36
I always, always take my very best appetite. :D

I also take either a guacamole (mine is famous round here) and / or a dessert; a bottle of wine and a six-pack (no, not mine, Karia!). Sometimes offer to help out with the meat side depending on the hosts.

Anne x
29-May-08, 16:52
I always take some fresh Melon slices and Bunch of Bananas sliced lenthways with a 1/2 of a Mars Bar cut lenthways between wrapped in tinfoil (optional drop brandy or rum if no kids or teetotal ) all ready to go on BBQ and bt wine

freckles
29-May-08, 16:55
I would always take a bottle or two. After that I would just ask. We had a BBQ last year and asked people to bring sides & desserts, that way we could be sure there was enough meat to go around without worrying about anything going to waste.

emb123
29-May-08, 17:01
I'd take whatever I chose to drink, and ask if there was anything they wanted me to bring (to save duplicating sausages or whatever) and I'd probably take a home baked cake anyway (e.g. a carrot cake, or a jam & buttercream sponge cake) to say thanks for the invite.

Hope you have a lovely day!

dandod
29-May-08, 22:09
i would probably take a bottle with me.but i dont like it when the food is man handled.

joxville
29-May-08, 22:41
Going by previous BBQ's I've attended I'd take along some penicillin.:D

SNOWDOG
29-May-08, 23:03
We usually bring a carry-oot plus a pudding, normally a trifle. Have never been asked to bring food to a BBQ, that would be social suicide! :eek:

Oddquine
29-May-08, 23:08
The only BBQs I've attended have been family ones, so I only took me............but I'd likely take a bottle or six of my usual tipple, and stuff I know I'll eat...having a delicate stomach..on the premise that those with cast iron stomachs can take their chances!

donss
29-May-08, 23:27
take a plate (you decide: the bbq host will appreciate your arrival and anything you take along), a slab o' cold beer and a cask to your liking.

anything else is a bonus.

a smile, a story and a few laughs.

Nothing else required. just some Good Company (real friends), a real BBQ, Some (not overcooked) animal derived snags or steaks, good wine and a good open frame of mind. A great day.

yesterday & tommorow doesn't matter........

canuck
30-May-08, 21:27
One thing not on your list, but very helpful when there is going to be a crowd - lawnchairs.