PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices

Valerie Campbell
29-May-08, 09:37
I read in The Scotsman that gas prices are set to rise from an average of £665 a year to a whopping £1091! A spokesman from Energywatch had said it's going to be catostophic. I think that's a bit of an understatement. On the other hand, you have Centrica's spokesman talking about protecting their profit margins. Don't they make huge profits as it is? Things in the UK are just going from bad to worse, if what the Scotsman article suggests on the price hike is true.

brokencross
29-May-08, 09:49
I am with Eon, which used to be Powergen. A couple of years or so ago, (when competition was really strong and people were changing providers at the drop of a hat), I got a call asking me if I wanted to join a scheme where my gas and electricity prices would be frozen so I joined up. Just recently I have had a letter confirming my prices are fixed until late 2010.

bobbyjoeufb
29-May-08, 10:37
Thats never good I am currently getting a Gas Central Heating System installed, should be finished by next week, I have gone with the Hydro as I am currently getting my electric from them.

Still it should be cheaper than the electric storage heaters that I had!

theone
29-May-08, 15:10
Thats never good I am currently getting a Gas Central Heating System installed, should be finished by next week, I have gone with the Hydro as I am currently getting my electric from them.

Still it should be cheaper than the electric storage heaters that I had!

I think you'll regret that in the long run. Gas/Oil prices are only going to rise with demand, and we'll soon be dependant on Russian imports.

bobbyjoeufb
29-May-08, 19:57
I think you'll regret that in the long run. Gas/Oil prices are only going to rise with demand, and we'll soon be dependant on Russian imports.

Yeah everything is getting more expensive!

But as long as its cheaper than the £90 a month I was forking out for the storage heaters it will do me until something better comes along.

MadPict
29-May-08, 20:17
Just out of interest it seems that an awful lot of energy is wasted by the oil rigs and refineries when they burn off the excess gas as a flare - is there no way for this to be harnassed and piped to be used as fuel for power stations etc?

theone
29-May-08, 21:17
Just out of interest it seems that an awful lot of energy is wasted by the oil rigs and refineries when they burn off the excess gas as a flare - is there no way for this to be harnassed and piped to be used as fuel for power stations etc?

When the oil rig is operating normally the flare is minimal. You need to burn off some in case of a fault or trip, in which case the gas on the platform goes to flare and is burnt off. The flare needs to burn the whole time so that when a trip occurs, the gas is burnt off, removing the risks associated with a big gas cloud hanging around.

Most platforms do export gas onshore, in fact they get fined for excess flaring.

The problem now and in the future is that many oil fields that have previously had good pressure have died. Although there is still oil down there, it needs "help" coming out. A couple of the main ways to do this is by gas injection or gas lift. The result is the gas is put back into wells and therefore not available for export.

The UK's plans to increase production may well provide more oil, but ultimately less gas. The result will be higher gas prices.

MadPict
29-May-08, 21:50
theone,
Thanks for the explanation. Guess it's just a big old pilot light then ;)

domino
29-May-08, 22:02
If you are over sixty it is well worth trying Staywarm. They fix a price for your gas and electricity. I am not really sure what the other conditions are but I think that it is only that you have three bedrooms, Well worth a try since when I am approached by other companies regarding deals, and I mention Staywarm, they back off very quickly, they obviously cannot compete. well worth a try

bekisman
29-May-08, 22:14
More info here;

http://www.eonenergy.com/At-Home/Products/Products-Electricity-And-Gas/Electricity-and-Gas/StayWarm/ (http://www.eonenergy.com/At-Home/Products/Products-Electricity-And-Gas/Electricity-and-Gas/StayWarm/)

JamesMcVean
30-May-08, 20:48
Hey BROKEN

I am with Eon too,,,and I capped my prices a year or so back...eventhough every time my meter is read...I am still a couple of hundred pounds more in debt!!! They are all as bad as each other!! I think I pay £100 per month for Gas and elec...and that is with the online discount!!

I have never earned as much as I do now, but on the reverse - I have never felt so poor as the cost of living is terrible...I wonder how people in low paid jobs manage to raise healthy families???

This thread has put me on a downer...

JAmes

brokencross
30-May-08, 21:50
Never mind James, just think of all the Tesco Clubcard points you get for using Eon gas and electricity.