PDA

View Full Version : jobs going already

Tugmistress
28-May-08, 22:02
the comapnies are blaming the rising oil/fuel costs for stopping these ferry services
DFDS newcastle (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7423142.stm)

and

Rosyth Superfast (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7424029.stm)

:(

golach
28-May-08, 22:18
Tugmistress, Superfast leaving Rosyth has been on the cards for a few years now, the Greek company that owns the ferrys have a reputation for this kind of thing, collecting subsidys from the government then closing down, they already cut the number of sailings a couple of years ago, long before the price of fuel became an issue. They have taken Forth Ports and the Scottish Executive for a lot of money.

gollach
28-May-08, 22:34
Tugmistress, Superfast leaving Rosyth has been on the cards for a few years now, the Greek company that owns the ferrys have a reputation for this kind of thing, collecting subsidys from the government then closing down, they already cut the number of sailings a couple of years ago, long before the price of fuel became an issue. They have taken Forth Ports and the Scottish Executive for a lot of money.

I was just about to post the same thing!

Didn't they pull out of a route somewhere in Scandanavia when a subsidy of some sort ended and use those boats to set up the Rosyth route?

I used to work near there and remember people saying similar things about them. The price of oil is a convenient excuse for Superfast to pull the plug without looking like bad guys.

golach
28-May-08, 22:38
I was just about to post the same thing!

Didn't they pull out of a route somewhere in Scandanavia when a subsidy of some sort ended and use those boats to set up the Rosyth route?

I used to work near there and remember people saying similar things about them. The price of oil is a convenient excuse for Superfast to pull the plug without looking like bad guys.
Gollach, their reputation was know to Forth Ports and the Scottish Exec when they first started the route, I was involved with the Estate Management of HMC&E when the terminal at Rosyth was designed, and had it was common knowledge then, even by my bosses