PDA

View Full Version : What is the legal position?

Rheghead
27-Nov-05, 17:34
If a parent wants to 'evict' his idle son out of the house when he comes of age (18), what is the best and legal way to do it.

He is just wasting his life getting drunk and going on his computer. A good spell of the real world will do him good.

Thanks in advance

EDDIE
27-Nov-05, 17:57
To be honest about i think you shouldnt force a teenager out of his home until that person is ready to leave i think buy forcing them out will just cause ill feeling and a possible fall out on a long term basis and i also think the parent might regret there actions further down the road
The parents have to remember its them that brought them into this world and brought them up and if that teenager is out of hand whos faults that?.
Like most teenagers they spend half there life on the computer,like getting drunk,there not fully mature,and they sometimes do things what they should have done but thats just the way of the world we were all teenagers once and we have all done things we should have done and we all learn by our mistakes over time.

Drutt
27-Nov-05, 17:57
Now, I'm no expert, but as far as I'm aware, they can just go ahead and kick him out and he'd have no legal redress. It's their home, so they've absolute right over who lives there and when. Obviously, it'd be different if he were under 16.

Drutt
27-Nov-05, 18:01
Eddie makes a very good point about the possible long-term repercussions of any actions taken. I think the parents would have every right to find a way of giving him a scare, even if it doesn't result in him actually being kicked out.

By 18 he really ought to be contributing financially to the household by paying rent (unless he's a student), paying for his share of the telephone bill, doing his own washing and ironing and cooking occasionally.

EDDIE
27-Nov-05, 18:03
I think legaley they can kick him out but if he decides to go to college its a different story altogether the parents then have to pay for his eductation and living and i think thats until hes 21 and that the law.

Rheghead
27-Nov-05, 18:05
Sorry folks to mislead you, he's no teenager, he is 41! Sorry :)

Drutt
27-Nov-05, 18:06
Sorry folks to mislead you, he's no teenager, he is 41! Sorry :)
Then they ought to have kicked him out 23 years ago!

DrSzin
27-Nov-05, 18:07
He is just wasting his life getting drunk and going on his computer. A good spell of the real world will do him good. He sounds rather like me...

EDDIE
27-Nov-05, 18:13
As far as the teenager contributing to paying bills in theory yes he should but in reality most teenagers are on crap wages and most parents usually charge board money to get them in the way of paying for bills but the board money that most parents would charge wouldnt even cover his food thats if they do charge board money i think most parents relise that teenagers are in low income and most parents want there teenagers to keep there own money so they can enjoy themselves in the way that teenagers do because your only young once and in your teenage years you should be learning or training for a good carreer and out enjoying yourself

EDDIE
27-Nov-05, 18:24
If hes 41 and still living at home i take it hes not married i would say hes wasted his life away already and i would definately tell him to move out and give him a deadline.
One good reason would be hes got learn how to cope on his own because his parents wont always be there.And i think the parents should be ashamed of themselves for letting him stay so long i think they have did him more harm than good.If he had move out say 15 years ago he might have been a totaly different person in the way he lives his life might have even got married had kids?But like most things u cant change the past but u can change the future
For a person of 41 he has no excuse

Jalon
27-Nov-05, 20:27
Buy him a map and compass for Christmas.
Throw in a suitcase if he doesn't take the hint!

kenimac1
27-Nov-05, 20:28
I know what the final outcome could be!! A guy near me died last year aged 69. He died in the same house he was born in and his mother (who's now 94) looked after him from the day he was born till the day he died. Scary or what.

Chillie
27-Nov-05, 20:51
my friend says he can go stay with her, as long as he brings the beer,
whats he doing tonight does he fancy babysittin so she can go out?

Bobinovich
27-Nov-05, 23:46
I had my one and only real argument with my Ma not long after my 19th birthday which resulted in me leaving home. It was one of the best things I ever did.

I learned the joys and perils of financial independence, how to cook and maintain a house, the responsibilities of paying bills on time, etc. - without doubt, it helped forge the independent person I am today.

I genuinely believe all late-teens should experience this type of real-world life for a minimum of 6 months. I also think there's not enough emphasis on cooking basic meals, money management, and running a household in high school - it could easily be one period a week and would prepare the kids better.

SandTiger
27-Nov-05, 23:54
Are the owners Council or Private occupiers?

Chillie
28-Nov-05, 01:20
What differance does it make council or private its who name is on the lease or deeds

Fran
28-Nov-05, 01:27
How sad....i think if the parents wanted the son to leave home they should have arranged it long before the son became a man of 41. Maybe they didnt want him to leave. Whatever, at the age he is now, if he has never done anything, would he cope on his own, can he cook, shop, iron etc, could he manage his finances and could he budget. i think it is very sad and i wish the parents luck,....and moreson their adult son.

Chillie
28-Nov-05, 01:38
He must have some intelligence if he can work a computer, can he cook if so does he know how to open a fray bentos tin???????????????

At Lassagie
28-Nov-05, 11:47
My mither and faither moved away when I was 18, I hed till live on ma own or go wi them. Never regretted livin by masel even tho it was tough an I canna say I learnt till handle ma budget very well for a few years. I hed a few cowld winters and little food but that was ma choice. I had a good social life tho. Hev ye ever thought o movin house an no takin him wi ye?

lassieinfife
28-Nov-05, 12:52
He must have some intelligence if he can work a computer, can he cook if so does he know how to open a fray bentos tin???????????????

did you ever get the tin opened?

DrSzin
28-Nov-05, 12:55
Ok Rheggers, are you going to enlighten us as to why your parent(s) want to throw you out? Are you 18 or 41? :rolleyes:

Doleve
28-Nov-05, 14:41
I left home at 20 because i wanted freedom, and after a few months buying all the essentials, it was good, all the freedom etc.I had a job and money so it was no big problem.3 years later i went back home(for 6 months) while i was waiting for my new house to be built.It was the worst 6 months ever, as i had to please my parents(mainly mum, dad was no probs!)Make no noise after certain times, they both hated friends coming and going etc! Food was never a problem!
One of my friends got 'ejected' from home at 18, and as an apprentice on crap pay he found it very difficult.He coldnt even afford a tv, so he lived in my house in evenings!! To earn extra money he could work overtime,and no buses worked evenings, taxies made the o/t unviable.On the odd occasion there was a few of us who could give him the 16 mile lift home.He couldnt even afford to pass his driving test let along buy a car. After another 3 years of this al he was left with was a mountain of debt.Which nearly another 4 years later he is still paying off, although now on better pay he decided to try to pay off sooner rather than later. My point being in his case being kicked out of the family home early did him no good. Me leaving when i felt it right was fine.Everycase is different.Although my friend now thinks (and i kind of agree with him) if you dont work you shouldnt get any form of benefit, as he never when younger even though he did the maths when skint to figure out he would have been better off packing his job in and lying on the dole. So inrhegheads case it could be good or bad.