PDA

View Full Version : a 'What's On' section?

emb123
27-May-08, 19:50
I've noticed that events in Caithness & Sutherland tend to get a bit buried in the General section of the general area of the forum.

I've often thought that some form of Local Events or What's On section might not be a bad idea for organisers of local events. Perhaps it migh even tie in with some form of calendar where folks can look to see what is going to be on at a given date.

Might be useful too for folks visting from outside the area to see what local events they can go to whilst they are here as well as for local folks to do if they are at a loose end. Galas, Car Boot sales, Ceilidhs, dances, archery classes, band gigs etc etc could all be found in one place instead of hunting through discussions to try and track down the information.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this ?

golach
27-May-08, 19:56
There is a "Whats on" section on the left hand side of the front page of Caithness.Org

beelag2000
27-May-08, 20:02
Sounds like a good idea to me, would keep track of all the many things that are happening each week.

If its not to cheeky here's one to start it off:

Newton Hill Woodland Closure - public meeting Mon 2nd June 7.00pm MacKays Hotel Wick

also Iain Grant (freelance reporter) is doing a report for STV and will be at the woodland car park with his camera man at 12.00 tomorrow 28th May. He would be very interested to hear the views of users on the current closure of the site due to contamination.

Cheers

Beelag

emb123
27-May-08, 20:04
Golach, thanks for pointing out the wood. I think those darned trees were in the way :) I obviously need some new glasses or to check the main part of the site a bit more often !

Mind you, I still think a related or similar section within the forum mightn't be a bad idea. It would enable event-specific discussions in a single section of the forum rather than just the general section for discussing, local news, national news and everything else.

It's just my thinking aloud, and many people may differ, but I thought it was worth raising as a point for discussion.

golach
27-May-08, 20:07
Golach, thanks for point out the wood. I think those darned trees were in the way :) I obviously need some new glasses or to check the main part of the site a bit more often !

Mind you, I still think a related or similar section
within the forum mightn't be a bad idea. It would enable event-specific discussions in a single section of the forum rather than just the general section for discussing, local news, national news and everything else.

It's just my thinking aloud, and many people may differ, but I thought it was worth raising as a point for discussion.
Fair comment emb123, if more orgers used the whats on section, it may get more attention

beelag2000
27-May-08, 20:07
so there is!!!!! of all the thousands of times I have been in this site I have never noticed it before.
Thanks

Mr P Cannop
28-May-08, 07:51
why don't folk post about their agms and general meetings ?? to let people know they are having their agms and general meetings ??

Bill Fernie
28-May-08, 23:37
Quite a lot of folk have found the what's On. It gets between 4500 and 5000 visitors a day.

At time of writing this there are 516 events listed

Torvaig
29-May-08, 08:17
I always look at the "What's On" section; it is just so handy right there on the front page even if I don't have time to go on the message boards. A quick glance and you know what is going on in the county that day.

You can also look ahead to plan your outings and fun for the kids; invaluable...... it works!

lelebo
29-May-08, 10:21
Hi Bill - I think the What's On Section is great but it's also good to have somewhere we can advertise - for example, the meditation class I'm running - unless people look ahead, they wouldn't find it until the day its running and I agree with the comment about the event getting buried in general - I worry that I'm annoying people by continually 'bumping' - a what's on forum would be great and might encourage people to make more use of the little thing on the front page??

weefee
29-May-08, 10:47
....bringing back to the post the other day about updating the seriously out of date community index...a lot of it hasn't been updated since 2006!!! if it isnt used, why dont you just delete it, freeing up space??

out of interest....does anyone know of keep fit classes in thurso, when they are on and where????

badger
29-May-08, 16:28
Hi Bill - I think the What's On Section is great but it's also good to have somewhere we can advertise - for example, the meditation class I'm running - unless people look ahead, they wouldn't find it until the day its running and I agree with the comment about the event getting buried in general - I worry that I'm annoying people by continually 'bumping' - a what's on forum would be great and might encourage people to make more use of the little thing on the front page??

Many moons ago I suggested to Bill that it might be more useful to have the What's On open at the month rather than the day so you can see things in advance and then select what's of interest. At the time he said opinions were divided both ways and they had decided to do it by the day. It's a bit discouraging when you get a day like today when apparently there is nothing on so maybe people won't look.

What do others think?

Anji
29-May-08, 16:32
I think What's On is fine as it is. It only takes one more click to see the month in full.

Bill Fernie
29-May-08, 19:18

Commercial advertsing is not generally allowed and if you are charging fees then that is commercial. We take fairly light touch oon it when businesses are starting but later ads will be removed - otherwise we would get no paid for adverts and that is what helps pay for the web site.

Bumping is frowned upon as it generally means folk keep having to see the ad again. If evveyone bumps items then the section would be a bit of mess.

We have tried to encourage folk to use the What's On and not place ads for events in the Message Board.

Buttercup
29-May-08, 20:28
Well said Bill. Personally I find the What's On very handy and easy to look at. It gets to be annoying looking at the forum and continually finding posts advertising events that should really be confined to What's On, after all that's what it's for and it's not as if you charge for the advert.

badger
30-May-08, 18:23
Well said Bill. Personally I find the What's On very handy and easy to look at. It gets to be annoying looking at the forum and continually finding posts advertising events that should really be confined to What's On, after all that's what it's for and it's not as if you charge for the advert.

Maybe it's time the Mods. started removing these posts so people would advertise their events in the right place. There's plenty of room in What's On for all the details necessary. Is it just laziness? Easier to post than complete a form?

Bill Fernie
30-May-08, 22:49
Ok that's decided. All events wil now be confined to the What's On and not allowed in the forum.

Jill
31-May-08, 09:33
Ok that's decided. All events wil now be confined to the What's On and not allowed in the forum.

Oooops. I have just highlighted an event that's happening today in the general section. Sorry.

wee, there are keep fit classes run by Kate up at Mount Pleasant school three evenings a week (different things each time, yoga, step and Tae Bo), but she has just stopped now for the summer and they won't be starting again until the end of August.

However does this count as advertising? In which case I guess this post will be pulled ...