PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Johny Ink Cartridges

~~Tides~~
27-Nov-05, 00:15
Could anyone help me out here:

Our printer has recently started playing up, ie. it is just printing vague horizontal lines insted of text. Looks like the ink is being blocked from coming out.
Ive tried cleaning the print heads and re-aligning the re-aligny thing but it has made no difference. Never had this problem untill now but recently ive started buying the cheap generic cartriges instead of the proper Epson ones. Has anyone else had this problem with these cartrages (EcoInc, from Computafix).

Thanks.

Sianymo
27-Nov-05, 11:08
I have this problem too. I've an epson printer and have bought the cheaper generic cartridges. One day it will be working fine and the next I have to run the cleaning utility several times before I get any ink out at all! This tends to use up alot of ink.
You can get cleaner cartridges which flush out the heads but it doesn't seem to last long before it all clogs up again.
I know of another person who has the same problem. Think in future I will buy the epson ones although they are far more expensive at least you don't get all the hassle and don't waste so much ink either.

paris
27-Nov-05, 11:18
Had my cartridges refilled for £5 each, what a waste of money, only worked for a few days then needed refilling. just buy the right things for the job , no problems then !

krieve
27-Nov-05, 12:03
Had my cartridges refilled for £5 each, what a waste of money, only worked for a few days then needed refilling. just buy the right things for the job , no problems then !
My parents had the same problem they got theres refilled now the printer wont work they have tried everything but it still wont work.

nancypotter45
27-Nov-05, 12:23
I used to work in a computer shop and we had to stop taking in cheap printer cartridges and refill kits as we were getting so much hassle from customers that had purchased them - they were having same problems as you guys are having. I wouldn't recommend them. You get what you pay for - is the saying I think! The best thing you could do is purchase proper ink and that should solve your problem, if it hasn't clogged up heads too much.

kas
27-Nov-05, 12:52
I know my parents got cartridges for there epsom out of Lidls, they said the black ones were excellent but I dont think the colour ones were up to much.
So keep an eye out for them comming in, Dad said that they were an excellent buy, but that doesnt solve the problem of the colour ones.

caithness_rep
27-Nov-05, 13:02
Hi. this happened to my printer aswell as soon as I bought it. I have a Lexmark printer and horizontal lines appear on the printer when I print in colour. I have also tried alligning the printer heads. I hear that there is a computer shop -Back bridge street in Wick if thats where you live. I think the one in Thurso is closed now. They could help.

Tugmistress
27-Nov-05, 13:52
the generaic ones i get are fine, they are off the net,
http://www.bestpriceink.co.uk/
(http://www.bestpriceink.co.uk/)
i have an epson r300 with separate colour cartridges, the last i got cost 99p each.
the only trouble i have is if the printer is stood idle for too long or if it is direct sunlight/heat source it tends to dry the ink out... though this happens with real epson ones too.

EDDIE
27-Nov-05, 15:38
You should always replace the ink cartridges with dealer brand on it to get best quality.You can buy ink cartridge kits were u can refill your own cartidges its suppose to be cheaper but its a complete waste of time because first reason is its messy to do u get your hands covered in ink in the process and 2 reason is in your print cartridge there is like a sponge in it were the ink gets absorbed in it and over time the sponges drys up and gets blocked and even if u refill it up u get bad printing for that reason.
The cheapest way to buy ink cartidges is buy over the internet.
websites like ebuyer.com or dabs.com are cheap.
But you tend to find if you bought a dear printer your cartridges will be expensive like hp printers the cartidges are dear
I would like to also point out as well depending on how old your printer is you can get printers on the internet for £50 to £60 which come with cartidges and sometimes just as well going the extra bit to upgrade as well.

Julia
27-Nov-05, 16:42
Typically it would cost over £70 to replace my printer ink ( I have a HP Deskjet), but I took a chance a bought replacement ink (non HP) off eBay and it works a treat! There is very little difference if any to the print quality, best of all the colour ink cartridge cost only £8 inc P&P!

Naefearjustbeer
27-Nov-05, 20:57
With epson printers you only replace the ink each time you change the cartridges not the print nozzles, This means that if your printer sits unused for periods of time the ink dries out and blocks the nozzles. It does not matter if it is genuine or cheap cartridges, You can mess around with trying to clean the nozzles etc but you are better calling it a day and getting a new printer or nozzles(not sure if you can do this or not). If you do a lot of printing epsons ares not so bad. If you print rarely get a printer that has the nozzles in the cartridge and that means you get new print nozzles every time you change the things and they dont get the chance to dry out.
The best way to keep your epson printing OK is to use it regularly and keep the ink flowing through it. We use cheap cartridges for our epson from ebay and have no problems as we print a lot.

MMripMM
27-Nov-05, 21:03
See Pedro He Ken's A Wee Mannie In E Glebe He'll Get You Decent Ones.

Bobinovich
27-Nov-05, 23:25
I've supplied quite a few remanufactured cartridges to customers who want them, however I don't offer any guarantee on quality or life - they're just too unreliable.

My recommendation is to stick to genuine cartridges. Try www.w2w.com (http://www.w2w.com) - their prices are pretty reasonable - especially when compared with the office supplies shop in Thurso anyway - and delivery is free too!

lassieinfife
28-Nov-05, 01:48
I run a HPpsc500 and the last inks I bought were from
Morrison's [Safeways] cost me half the price of proper inks, they have been in the machine bout 6 months now and still going strong, I print a lot because of being on community council and have found I have no problem's printing, dirty nozzles etc

ronmck
28-Nov-05, 12:37
Have been using cartridges in my Epson Photo RX425 which I got from
www.bestpriceink.co.uk I got five sets (20 carts) for only £19.
On my fourth set now and they seem every bit as good as Epson originals which were cosing £40 for one set.

Gus
29-Nov-05, 02:14
Just to add another useful cartridge link, try www.cartridgemonkey.com.

Their 'fake' Epson cartridges have been fantastic, every last one of them and they deliver fast. They have a promise on their site that their cheaper cartridges are as good as, if not better than the proper ones - possibly with money back if they're not. (I can't remember because they've lasted such a long time despite printing runs of brochures and mailshots).

George Brims
29-Nov-05, 21:31
I've had the same problem with Epson printers both at home and work, where they don't perform right if left unused. The one at work (Stylus Color 1520) is about to go out in the bin because we can't seem to get it cleared. However there's a 42 inch wide HP 5000 Designjet standing beside it (the ink cartridges are the size of coffee mugs!) so it will not be missed!

I have a Stylus R200 at home that is newer, and it seems to spring to life OK after laying unused for a while. Perhaps the newer inks are better formulated to resist drying out?

If you have the opposite problem - heavy use - there's a kit for that one where you drill holes in the cartridges and connect little tubes to huge bottles of ink. My son's friend works at a place where they print non-stop, and they get months of use out of one of those kits. The only risky thing there is if you get fragments of plastic in the ink from the hole drilling, as they can completely block the print head, so then you're in trouble.

Shalom
29-Nov-05, 21:44
I use Epson compatibles from Premier Supplies and they are excellent! And CHEAP! :D
www.premierink.co.uk (http://www.premierink.co.uk)
3 blacks for £7.99 and 3 colour for £9.99 - that's for Epson Stylus C46

Geo
29-Nov-05, 21:54
JetTec compatibles are very good. Not the cheapest compatible, (although only a £1 or so more) but they have a good reputation and still much cheaper than manufacturer originals.