PDA

View Full Version : MP mugged in street

skinnydog
26-May-08, 13:01
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7419398.stm

See above link.
Not that I like reading about people gettin mugged / slapped about but it did amuse me a little as the MP's have been the one passing all those namby pamby laws giving the criminals RIGHTS not the victims of crime.
Maybe something will be done about the SCUM on the streets now that one of the house of commons elite have had a taste of life in the real world.
Crime rates going down, No chance.

joxville
26-May-08, 13:15
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7419398.stm

See above link.
Not that I like reading about people gettin mugged / slapped about but it did amuse me a little as the MP's have been the one passing all those namby pamby laws giving the criminals RIGHTS not the victims of crime.
Maybe something will be done about the SCUM on the streets now that one of the house of commons elite have had a taste of life in the real world.
Crime rates going down, No chance.

Forgive me being naive but why would anyone go jogging with their jewellery on? Wouldn't it be more comfortable not to wear it?

One of them was wearing a Celtic top-so only 150,000 suspects then:D

Lord Flasheart
26-May-08, 13:18
With you on that one. Obviously I dont like to see people get mugged but i find it ironic when an MP does considering the party she belongs to is soft on crime and soft on the causes of crime.

I wonder how she feels about the Goverments stance on crime and criminals now ??, looked her up on t'interweb and she comes across as a right stooge who doesnt seem to disagree with the Goverment on anything.

Here .. http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/anne_moffat/east_lothian#topics

joxville
26-May-08, 13:26
With you on that one. Obviously I dont like to see people get mugged but i find it ironic when an MP does considering the party she belongs to is soft on crime and soft on the causes of crime.

I wonder how she feels about the Goverments stance on crime and criminals now ??, looked her up on t'interweb and she comes across as a right stooge who doesnt seem to disagree with the Goverment on anything.

Here .. http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/anne_moffat/east_lothian#topics

Principles get you into Parliament-amnesia gets you into the Cabinet.

MadPict
26-May-08, 14:14
While I am loath to say too much, it's about time this lot woke up and smelt the coffee.

In the last few days...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7394025.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7419185.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7419949.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7419966.stm

14 killings in London alone this year....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7395875.stm

the second coming
26-May-08, 18:16
One of them was wearing a Celtic top-so only 150,000 suspects then:D

If we lock up all Celtic supporters, it does mean we might catch the perpetrator....!!!!! I'm kiddin of course before I unleash the wrath of the great unwashed...

silverfox57
26-May-08, 18:55
can not see the funny-side of anyone who gets mugged? its not till someone close to you gets hurt,that brings home the suffering of victims and familys. just because of yobs,or gangs of cowards,

MadPict
26-May-08, 19:24
No funny side to being the victim of any crime - but the politicians have become too isolated and arrogant in their attitude to the problems facing "Joe Public" at every level from fuel tax to crime.
They need a wake up call - obviously the recent election shake up might have opened an eye but all we get is the usual sound bite of "that we're going to address and are addressing these problems" - forgive me while I roll my eyes and think I have heard all this before.
So while anyone being a victim of crime is regrettable, perhaps it happening to an MP might just produce a knee-jerk reaction that will do some good...

sassylass
27-May-08, 03:30
errrr now I'm getting a bit nervous about going to London this summer.

Boozeburglar
27-May-08, 07:28
http://www.esrcsocietytoday.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/facts/UK/index12.aspx?ComponentId=7037&SourcePageId=18134

I hate quoting websites, but the ESRC is pretty well regarded.

Plucking random articles from the news is all very well. Talking about the government in terms that suggest the previous was tougher on crime is easy. Cheap words, in fact.

The truth is that the sharpest rise in violent crime seen of late was under the Tory government.

There have been REAL decreases, generally accross the board, since 1995. Labour may be claiming a little too much credit for what could be seen as a settling trend, but crime is indeed by no means rampant today.

Whilst the government cannot claim to be behind 100% of the decrease; they can certainly claim not to have interfered with a downwards trend.

Any government would claim success in that, and it is an achievement they should be proud of.

Boozeburglar
27-May-08, 08:12
errrr now I'm getting a bit nervous about going to London this summer.

London is easy to be safe in, like most world capitals.

Just follow some basic rules.

Wear a money belt for all your notes, leave no more than £20 and some plastic cards in a small purse/wallet/whatever as a 'give away' if you need it. Most 'mugging' is opportunist, so they have run away before they check what was in the purse they just snatched from you as you were about to pay for that postcard from a stall on the street.

If you have to carry an expensive camera, do so incognito in an anonymous pack, well secured, like a rucsac, not a shoulder pack. Only take it out when you feel it is safe and put it away as soon as you have used it.

No handbags!

Keep your mobile in a zipped pocket, and only take it out when necessary. If you use it as a watch, stop doing so and get a cheap watch. (Mind you in most of Central London the time is found easily on bus stops and parking meters these days.)

Don't go up dark side streets/stray from known areas.

Do not allow a stranger approaching you to engage you in conversation, this is often a technique used to make passers by assume the victim knows the person approaching them.

Keep your head up and watch anyone you have concerns about. That daft M.P. said she put her head down, an open invitation to an attacker. They generally don't choose victims at random, especially those who look prepared to flee or face them, cowards as they are.

Dress down, no bling on show. Common sense of course.

One final one, get a small A-Z, a pocket one, and sellotape a cover onto it, like at school. There is no worse give away than someone with their nose in an A-Z. Always make sure you are in a safe place before concentrating on something other than those around you.

These are just a few ideas, but I have spent many years in London without getting 'mugged', as has my wife and most of my friends.

I have had a mobile grabbed from my hand but I was drunk and practically offering it up. I have also had one stolen from an unzipped pocket, (could have dropped out but the person who answered it never gave it back). Been harassed by a drunk guy who came into Sainsbury's at Marble Arch. I was the unlucky dude that caught his wild eye; upon which he took his shirt off and challenged me to a fight before my wife intervened and sent him packing. All in all in twenty plus years of intermittent residence in the beautiful city I have had very little trouble, and I am one who was out there looking for it a lot of the time, (i.e. drunk in bad places at night). Manchester, however, was a completely different story! All my London savvy could not stop me getting mugged there and attacked for being gay, which was quite something as I am not, nor was my pal who was with me.

So I would say, don't be nervous, just be prepared and enjoy your trip!

:)

rfr10
27-May-08, 10:30
Sentences are far to short and pathetic for criminals. If they know they're going to get off lightly then others are just going to carry on until they are strictly punished. Even jail is like a holiday to prisoners. They get treated well, fed well, they get a choice of many activities. If they try to mug someone they should be faced with something similar. Put them under a tap and let cold water droplets slowly drop on to their heads for a while until it drives them insane and then see if they think twice next time. There should be more of these high security, strict jails, stuck with other people like themselves with the risk of getting beaten up just like they did to some innocent person. The newspapers publicise it sometimes as though it's an achievement. "I get my name in the paper so let's go and commit crime" More titles like "Thug" or some other name that will make them sound low should do.

AfternoonDelight
27-May-08, 12:03
Sentences are far to short and pathetic for criminals. If they know they're going to get off lightly then others are just going to carry on until they are strictly punished. Even jail is like a holiday to prisoners. They get treated well, fed well, they get a choice of many activities. If they try to mug someone they should be faced with something similar. Put them under a tap and let cold water droplets slowly drop on to their heads for a while until it drives them insane and then see if they think twice next time. There should be more of these high security, strict jails, stuck with other people like themselves with the risk of getting beaten up just like they did to some innocent person. The newspapers publicise it sometimes as though it's an achievement. "I get my name in the paper so let's go and commit crime" More titles like "Thug" or some other name that will make them sound low should do.

I agree - I have always been a staunch supporter of the "commit the crime, do the time" brigade. Some of these jails nowadays are probably more comfortable than the offenders own house! I know it's supposed to be the loss of freedom that matters but it's no punishment being able to watch Sky tv, play pool, computer games etc. Punishment and rehabilitation should be priorities, not pandering and political correctness!

rfr10
27-May-08, 12:12
I agree - I have always been a staunch supporter of the "commit the crime, do the time" brigade. Some of these jails nowadays are probably more comfortable than the offenders own house! I know it's supposed to be the loss of freedom that matters but it's no punishment being able to watch Sky tv, play pool, computer games etc. Punishment and rehabilitation should be priorities, not pandering and political correctness!

I bet many police officers feel like giving criminals a big smack sometimes. Also, exactly like you said, jail is more comfortable than a criminals own house. In my opinion, all they should get is a room with solid walls and floor. No sunlight, no bed. The walls should also be painted a horrible colour and bread and water is all they should be fed (depending on the crime though I suppose). Many police officers will talk to criminals like they're friends. I've watched many of the police, camera, action style programmes on tv and the police officers are always having a laugh with the criminal. Sometimes, the police here are too soft. I think we should swap with the police in America for a while and see how it goes (apart from the guns though) One police programme I watched, the victim had a very cleverly designed shop. Once the robbers came in and tried to assault him, he quickly pressed a button which locked the bullet proof door to the shop and closed a bullet proof hatch which was in front of the shopkeeper, locking the criminals inside the shop with no choice but to be captured as the police came.

AfternoonDelight
27-May-08, 12:14
At last - something we agree on!! :Razz

rfr10
27-May-08, 12:22
At last - something we agree on!! :Razz

I don't agree with you! That was a mistake! :lol:

AfternoonDelight
27-May-08, 12:29
I don't agree with you! That was a mistake! :lol:

Damn you!! :D