PDA

View Full Version : Some Advice Please

tisme
26-May-08, 08:36
Hi, I have a white german shepherd, she is about 7. We got her last year from a rescue shelter. We take her for a long walk every day, but at the weekend she can get 2 or 3 really long walks. Recently we have noticed that when night comes she seems to stiffen up and has problems getting up if she has been lying sleeping etc. So what I am asking is, should we be worried about this or is it just old age and maybe we should cut down on the play etc.? Any help appreciated.

Bakerbhoy
26-May-08, 09:36
Hi

I have a 10 year old german shepherd and she too gets stiff at night if she has done too much through the day. I have found that giving her cod liver oil in her tea seems to help and I have limited her excercise as well. Don't get me wrong she still walks for nearly an hour a day but at her pace. If my sister comes up with her dog and we go out together then she is extremely stiff as she still thinks she can play. I would maybe try keeping her to one long walk even at the weekend or 2-3 shorter walks.

Hope this helps.

carasmam
26-May-08, 09:58
I agree with bakerbhoy, try a couple of spoons of cod liver oil in her food. I used to use glucosamine with Cara but there was a report about it maybe causing strokes in humans and I didn't want to take the chance until there was more research done. We started giving her cod liver oil and she is doing well with it.
If only it was like the advert where the old dog eats a certain brand of chew everday and a week later can beat the puppy down the steps and across the field :roll:

tisme
26-May-08, 10:37
Hi folks,
Thanks for that, I did think about Cod Liver oil, but thought it maybe a myth. Glad it's nothing serious, wouldn't want to loose her after only having her for a year. Will try the capsules and let you know how she gets on.
Cheers
E x

teenybash
26-May-08, 10:49
Hi, You could also try INFLAMEX which works wonders on my 13 year old hound. Simply add to food the measured amount and within days you can see the difference.:cool:

tisme
26-May-08, 10:55
Hi, You could also try INFLAMEX which works wonders on my 13 year old hound. Simply add to food the measured amount and within days you can see the difference.:cool:
Where would you get that then, from the vet??

Kevin Milkins
26-May-08, 11:37
Our old boxer is starting to show the same signs of age and stiffness and we have started giving her a small tin of fish in oil about every other day.
We just get whatever is on offer and she loves it. That tip was given to us by sombody who keeps a German Shepard and had just the same problems.

tisme
26-May-08, 11:49
Thanks for all the tips. She has to be fed the James wellbeloved food as she has a delicate stomach. so I think the fish in oil may be a bit strong for her, but will certainly go with the Cod liver capsules. Thanks all x

teenybash
26-May-08, 23:00
Go to www.cortflex.co.uk (http://www.cortflex.co.uk) where you can buy online. Doesn't upset tummies as my hound can be a bit sensitive. It is easy to give proper dose as bottle is clearly marked and you can be pretty exact.

tisme
06-Jun-08, 18:55
Just a wee update to say the Cod Liver Oil seems to be working a treat. We've also changed the way we exercise her as well. Instead of 2 little walks and 1 big walk every day, we take her 1 little one first thing, then 2 x 30-40 min walks through the day. Thanks all for the advice x

cuddlepop
06-Jun-08, 19:08
Just a wee update to say the Cod Liver Oil seems to be working a treat. We've also changed the way we exercise her as well. Instead of 2 little walks and 1 big walk every day, we take her 1 little one first thing, then 2 x 30-40 min walks through the day. Thanks all for the advice x

Glad you got your dog sorted.
its an awful worry when they're not right.:)

teenybash
06-Jun-08, 20:51
great news that everything has worked out so well.........:Razz

brandy
07-Jun-08, 09:29
theres also those dog treats for their joints you can give her.