PDA

View Full Version : What Fags?

Kevin Milkins
25-May-08, 23:28
With much to do about ciggys just now I thought it might be an oppotunity to have a walk down memory lane and ask " what ciggys did you start smoking and why"? I have 2 older sisters and an older brother.
My sisters used to smoke and in the earley sixties I used to pinch a Players Number Six out of my sisters packet. My dad smoked Woodbines ,but I found them hard work to start with.I remember in those days it was populer to get a packet of five and even you could get a packet of two that was called "one for a friend". The sweet shop on the way to school would sell a single fag to a school child in them days. When I became a dedicated smoker I used to smoke Gold Leaf in the red packet.
What started you smoking?

joxville
25-May-08, 23:42
I first started smoking Embassy tipped cos that was what my Mum smoked and when you're pinching fags anything will do lol. I then moved on to Player's No.6 or if buying single fags from shop it was Regal I was given. All my mates smoked Regal so I the went through a phase of buying different brands just to look 'cool'. Kensitas, B&H, 555, Black Cat, Vanguard, Dorchester, JPS-I thought that black pack with gold writing was 'the business'. There were other brands I smoked but can't recall them.

Margaret M.
26-May-08, 01:31
My dad smoked the pipe so I had to make do with that -- his pipe, matches, some walnut plug and a couple of pandrops and off outside I went. The pandrops did not do their job because I got nabbed the minute I came back inside.

Ricco
26-May-08, 07:35
I started on 'Woodies' - Woodbines - and it took about 13 years to give up. I have decided to add cigarettes and other tobacco to my 'undo' list. ;)

carasmam
26-May-08, 10:04
I probably started smoking because my mates were. Embassy red - 65p for 10 and 3 of us would chip in and then we would share the odd one at the end between us. I used to put a tissue in the matchbox so they wouldn't rattle and hide the packet and matches down the front of my jeans in case Mother went in my schoolbag and then hid them in a shoe in my wardrobe when I got the chance :lol:

Lord Flasheart
26-May-08, 11:30
Regal King Size.

And it was so I didnt have to cuddle afterwards.

Margaret M.
26-May-08, 14:04

I don't smoke -- the pipe killed the desire.

rs 2k
26-May-08, 14:29
I started coz my mates were doing it aswell

Had to start on menthols as i was too scared to inhale thought it would take the throat off me [lol]

Wish i never did it now, but did it to look good no doubt, was only 14, my mum found out when i was 15, she didn't freak coz she smoked to, but she wouldn't buy me fags, i had to do that myself, so chipped in with mates

I started on YTS just before my 16th so had money coming in, so started rolling my own, which i couldn't do and my mum wouldn't do it for me, she said if u want to smoke u can do it yourself, i still roll my own and i am an expert at it now [lol]

Just wish i hadn't started

poppett
26-May-08, 16:33
Black cat, bristol tipped "Today`s cigarette is a Bristol" so the advert said. Passing cloud, Piccadilly.

From the shop in the station in Thurso I remember pals buying No6 in singles and sometimes No10. Think they were even stronger, both made by Embassy who sponsored the darts.........changed days now.

Oddquine
26-May-08, 16:38
Started at 16 and used to buy single No10s from the corner shoppie on the way to school. Graduated eventually to Superkings......cheapest on the shelf..no favourite brands for me........and now roll my own..not expertly, but adequately!

Buttercup
26-May-08, 19:50
Started when I went to High School, No 6 was the usual (cheapest ~ 1/3 or 2/6) brand but didn't care for them much and took a liking for the short-lived Diplomat from the Embassy range. We used to buy packs of 5 when we were really hard up.
Remember we were sitting in the children's seats (front 3 rows) at the pictures and being told to "Put THAT out or pay the extra and sit in the adult seats". Needless to say they were promptly stubbed out amid hoots of laughter from the younger ones. [lol]

Buttercup
26-May-08, 19:53
Black cat, bristol tipped "Today`s cigarette is a Bristol" so the advert said. Passing cloud, Piccadilly.

From the shop in the station in Thurso I remember pals buying No6 in singles and sometimes No10. Think they were even stronger, both made by Embassy who sponsored the darts.........changed days now.

They were Player's No6.

Lady In Bed
26-May-08, 21:01
Mine was Cadets if i remember rightly. You did not need matches to light them as they had their own system to light the end of the fag

poppett
27-May-08, 18:43
Thank you Buttercup. I had the same thought in the early hours of this morning!

emb123
27-May-08, 21:31
First ones I chose were Marlboro soft pack. First fag was probably a Marlboro.

One of my first jobs was in a tobacco kiosk on a railway station and the soft pack Marlboro were the coolest ones there so it had to be them :)

Could murder one just now. Fortunately I have nicotine gum if I need it and my determination to stay in control of whether I smoke or not. I don't any more. About 10 months I think!

TBH
27-May-08, 21:54
Yur all a bunch o' wimps. Capstan Full strength were the boys.:D

golach
27-May-08, 22:17
my first experience of Fags were Export Woodbines, could only be bought from the Bond on ships. They came on round tins of 50.........hard to put in your pocket when going ashore. [lol]

joxville
27-May-08, 23:45
Yur all a bunch o' wimps. Capstan Full strength were the boys.:D

When I was a kid one of my neighbours smoked these-she coughed like a spitfire and had the anger to match:D

Whitewater
28-May-08, 00:16
I began smoking at 12/13yrs old. I used to get a shilling for lunch at school (Miller Academy), I could buy 5 woodbines or Players Weights for 10p (old pennies) out of Campbells sweetie shop in Princess St on the way to school. I was left with 2p for a bun for lunch out of Johnstons bakery. when I was broke I used to pinch one of my mothers, she smoked Capstain full strength (in the brown packet) so I got used to smoking fairly rough fags. Filters were unknown then. I managed to stop at 35 when my daughter was born, but I guess I had to as I had graduated onto cigars by that time, smoked King Edwards or White Owls which I used to buy from a kind friend in the American base at Forss. When I coughed it was virtually lumps of soot I was bring up, so I thiought it was time to give it up. Havn't looked back since, my lungs and heart are fine (according to my last medical). I've been lucky.

Amy-Winehouse
28-May-08, 21:21
With much to do about ciggys just now I thought it might be an oppotunity to have a walk down memory lane and ask " what ciggys did you start smoking and why"? I have 2 older sisters and an older brother.
My sisters used to smoke and in the earley sixties I used to pinch a Players Number Six out of my sisters packet. My dad smoked Woodbines ,but I found them hard work to start with.I remember in those days it was populer to get a packet of five and even you could get a packet of two that was called "one for a friend". The sweet shop on the way to school would sell a single fag to a school child in them days. When I became a dedicated smoker I used to smoke Gold Leaf in the red packet.

I used to got to partys when I was 16 & smoke joints if they were passed around so I guess thats why I started smoking.
Thankfully I gave it up a few years ago but I started smoking Embassy No.1`s then moved on to Regal King size & Lambert & Butlers , I ended up smoking Drum or Golden Virginia at the end but got fed up with it in the end & stopped

the charlatans
28-May-08, 22:04
I used to got to partys when I was 16 & smoke joints if they were passed around so I guess thats why I started smoking.
Thankfully I gave it up a few years ago but I started smoking Embassy No.1`s then moved on to Regal King size & Lambert & Butlers , I ended up smoking Drum or Golden Virginia at the end but got fed up with it in the end & stopped

Amy, you've stopped smoking? i thought you said 'no no no' to rehab.

sorry, couldn't resist......