PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision Song Contest

Tony
25-May-08, 22:46
Terry Wogan appears to be having doubts about doing it again after last night.
Was it really political voting or not?
I never watched it but saw some of the acts on the BBC website.

joxville
25-May-08, 23:01
Definitely political, has been for a few years now since the break up of the USSR and the Balkans. All the individual states now give each other top marks so for next few years, unless the organiser's change the voting system, it looks like it will be won by the Eastern/North Eastern European states. Mind you, Britains entry was woeful. Again.

domino
25-May-08, 23:03
Yeah, all the east European countries were voting for one anoth so what chance? A load of rubbish anyway

Kevin Milkins
25-May-08, 23:09
I turned on the TV and the voting was in full swing and although We had not watched the singing I was predicting to my wife what the scores would be .
She said " How do you know that" and I replied " my geography was not bad at school" Wife still does not understand how I was so accurate with my guess but TW is right .

Cattach
26-May-08, 08:58

Long. long past its sell by date. For many years, indeed decades, countries have voted politically of for near neighbours to keep others with good songs out. I use the words 'good songs' very loosely as for years its has been mostly trash. The claimed audience figures are very doubtfful and I guess most people tune in near te end to see, out of curiosity, who has won.

johndh
26-May-08, 09:17
The best bit about the Eurovision song contest, is Terry Wogan. For many years, I've found the quality of the songs very poor indeed.

Going slightly off topic, I watched Genisis and Pink Floyd on tv last night, Thoroughly entertaining. Both groups sounded as good as ever, or even better.

the nomad
26-May-08, 10:00
I agree it's just politics now however I can't real side with Terry Wogans moarl high ground given he was getting paid for Children in Need.

Tony
26-May-08, 10:38
Noticed many of the ones with the highest points were Female and shaking their booty but the Russian winner was crap. I did think the U.K entry was better than usual though.:D

justine
26-May-08, 10:56
The biggest load of clack i have seen for years. No wonder terry decided to decline....Bring back the 70-80s versions....

Fluff
26-May-08, 10:57
I really enjoyed our entry this year. I knew it was not a winner but it was a good song but the results were so so disappointing. it is laughable now, it really irritates me that the countries don't vote on the songs but on the country.

Mister Squiggle
26-May-08, 11:16
We were dancing around to the Pirates from Lativia (or was it Lithuania, it's a bit of a blur ...). The Russian dirge was a load of old mince, but then so was last year's effort (KD Laing and Roy Orbison's love child). Dreadful stuff but enjoyable all the same. And I thought the washing line mob were brilliant.

joxville
26-May-08, 13:07
Apparently the BBC will get Graham Norton as host if Terry Wogan decides to stop presenting it. If they do then I'm afraid I shall leave along with Sir Terence of Wogan. I can't stand Graham Norton and can't understand why the Beeb continue to wheel out the odius creature for almost every 'light entertainment' show. All he does is try to fill his shows with as many double entendre's as possible. I shall just give him a bum steer.

Julia
26-May-08, 13:18
I watched most of it for the first time in years, I really liked Denmark and Georgia's entries! Apart from that the only entertainment was Terry Wogan, he's dead right about the voting, a complete scam!

Tony
26-May-08, 13:22
Apparently the BBC will get Graham Norton as host if Terry Wogan decides to stop presenting it. If they do then I'm afraid I shall leave along with Sir Terence of Wogan. I can't stand Graham Norton and can't understand why the Beeb continue to wheel out the odius creature for almost every 'light entertainment' show. All he does is try to fill his shows with as many double entendre's as possible. I shall just give him a bum steer.

Oh no! not Graham Norton. :roll: I certainly wouldn't watch again in that case.

joxville
26-May-08, 13:30
Oh no! not another gay person. :roll: I certainly wouldn't watch again in that case.

I think you had better edit this before it's removed by a moderator. I had it happen 2 days ago because I used the words 'detest' and 'pikeys' in the same post.

MadPict
26-May-08, 14:18
Time to stop wasting the tax payers money on this farce.

Geo
26-May-08, 19:35
Personally I think it's a bit of a laugh and never take the actual competition seriously. You get some LOL moments and sometimes a really good singer or two.

DeHaviLand
26-May-08, 19:42
I think you had better edit this before it's removed by a moderator. I had it happen 2 days ago because I used the words 'detest' and 'pikeys' in the same post.

LOL, if you want someone to edit a post, I suggest you dont quote it !!!!

joxville
26-May-08, 19:51
LOL, if you want someone to edit a post, I suggest you dont quote it !!!!

I had to show it edited or my post would have been removed too. As I said earlier, it happened to me a couple of days ago and an orger that had pointed it out to me had their post removed.

northener
26-May-08, 20:56
Let's face it.

The eurovision is a contrived heap of banality which allows the some of the worst songs ever to eminate from Satans arse to be excreted and smeared all the way across Europe.

Couple this with small minded parochial europeans, many of whom would happily rake each other with an AK47 if it wasn't for the cameras and you have an evening of dirges about someones' goat dying or having to endure cheesy routines that wouldn't get on at a village hall in Britain.

Thank God for Wogan, I say. If he leaves then the Eurocobblers should be put out of it's misery and given a lethal injection.

Liz
26-May-08, 22:51
I agree it's just politics now however I can't real side with Terry Wogans moarl high ground given he was getting paid for Children in Need.

Totally agree with you on both points.

We were dancing around to the Pirates from Lativia (or was it Lithuania, it's a bit of a blur ...). The Russian dirge was a load of old mince, but then so was last year's effort (KD Laing and Roy Orbison's love child). Dreadful stuff but enjoyable all the same. And I thought the washing line mob were brilliant.

Hee hee.KD Laing and Roy Orbison's love child. Love it!!!!!!:lol:

I am so glad that someone else liked 'the washing line mob'. I loved them!

It has been political voting for quite a few years so has become a farce which is a shame as in the early days it used to be really good and quite exciting when it came to the voting but now we know that the UK doesn't stand a chance. Mind you a good song might help!!!:confused

TBH
26-May-08, 23:06
I had to show it edited or my post would have been removed too. As I said earlier, it happened to me a couple of days ago and an orger that had pointed it out to me had their post removed.You didn't edit it, it is still there.[lol]

joxville
26-May-08, 23:28
You didn't edit it, it is still there.[lol]

Where I put the words 'gay person' was different to what he had. He then edited it to match what I suggested. For God sake I tried to be helpful and so far 2 pedants insist on pointing out a supposed 'error' on my part. I'll think twice in future before I try to be helpful.

TBH
26-May-08, 23:33
Where I put the words 'gay person' was different to what he had. He then edited it to match what I suggested. For God sake I tried to be helpful and so far 2 pedants insist on pointing out a supposed 'error' on my part. I'll think twice in future before I try to be helpful.No need to spit the dummy Joxville, I am only a poor pedant farmer.[lol]

Tony
27-May-08, 10:52
Where I put the words 'gay person' was different to what he had. He then edited it to match what I suggested. For God sake I tried to be helpful and so far 2 pedants insist on pointing out a supposed 'error' on my part. I'll think twice in future before I try to be helpful.

Thank You joxville for pointing this out and edited accordingly. Please don't think twice about advising in the future as it is appreciated.

DeHaviLand
27-May-08, 22:05

Explain exactly how I was pedantic!

TBH
27-May-08, 22:18
Explain exactly how I was pedantic!You were pedantic for trying to help Joxville by pointing out that he may have quoted something that would get him into bother with the admin, not realising that he had infact edited the word or words to something he thought was more suitable. That is why we are pedantic.:D

joxville
27-May-08, 23:42
Thanks TBH:D

TBH
27-May-08, 23:43
Thanks TBH:DDon't mention it old pip.;)

joxville
28-May-08, 00:33
Explain exactly how I was pedantic!

So before I got a chance to explain why I called you pedantic you saw fit to give me a red rep. How very petty.

To save you time checking, I haven't given you a red rep in return, I'm not that spiteful.

drmopp
28-May-08, 12:53
Back on topic :) , For the second year running my fave was Finland. Some decent music, though Latvia's entry was a laugh.

~~Tides~~
28-May-08, 19:20
What is wrong is that people are voting for thier own countries! Just happens that they are in another country. That is why the Balkan countries all seem to vote for each other. E.G. Latvia's generally hate Russia, but always give Russia a very high score, but it is because Latvia has such a high proportion of Russian immigrants and its them that are doing the voting...

quirbal
28-May-08, 20:36
What is wrong is that people are voting for thier own countries! Just happens that they are in another country. That is why the Balkan countries all seem to vote for each other. E.G. Latvia's generally hate Russia, but always give Russia a very high score, but it is because Latvia has such a high proportion of Russian immigrants and its them that are doing the voting...

Yeah, are we forgetting that a lot of these countries were just over 15 years ago the same country?

They will have the same cultural background and therefore broadly the same musical taste. This might explain why they vote for each other, they actually like the song!

Amy-Winehouse
28-May-08, 21:14

I seriously cant believe that people actually watch this gash??? Why? You know the music is always awful & try to understand someone singin in Norwegian??
Whats that about? :lol: And worst of all,Ever since Britain got involved in the Gulf war whilst lookin for weapons of mass destruction & not finding any, the other Europeans have decided to give us nil points!!
Maybe G.B should withdraw from the Euro song contest until-

1 We pull out of Iraq
2 We enter a decent band or
3 Terry Wogan retires

That would be a relief!!!