PDA

View Full Version : Baker's Dozen

scotsboy
25-May-08, 18:27
Anyone ever been given 13 of anything when they ask for a dozen in the bakers?

unicorn
25-May-08, 18:39
nope. I was alwys told it was called that because they made 1 extra of each dozen in case they dropped 1 or 1 was no good.

Julia
25-May-08, 18:46
It dates back to the 13th century, bakers who were found to have short-changed customers could be liable to severe punishment under the statute 'assize of bread and ale'.

Bakers would give 13 for the price of 12, to be certain of not being known as a cheat. Specifically, the practice of baking 13 items for an intended dozen was to prevent short measure.

northener
25-May-08, 20:32
I think I'll buy 2 6packs of bread rolls from Tescos' bakery and take one more roll out of another pack - just to see the look on their faces at the tills when I tell 'em its legal....:eek:

chaz
25-May-08, 20:48
I think I'll buy 2 6packs of bread rolls from Tescos' bakery and take one more roll out of another pack - just to see the look on their faces at the tills when I tell 'em its legal....:eek:

Im coming with you to watch thier expresions...
A few years ago while attending a competion in Redcar we bought a dozen rolls from a bakery, it was a bakers dozen.And the bakery my father goes to in lincon sells a dozen as 13.

TBH
25-May-08, 20:57
Can you buy one bread roll from a supermarket?

Anne x
25-May-08, 21:04
Can you buy one bread roll from a supermarket?

Yes you can if they have a bakers section

TBH
25-May-08, 21:12
Yes you can if they have a bakers sectionSo I wont need to go on a rampage like Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down'?

Anne x
25-May-08, 21:16
So I wont need to go on a rampage like Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down'?

Sorry Doh !! dont know the answer to that

scorrie
25-May-08, 21:20
So I wont need to go on a rampage like Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down'?

That was a timing issue, rather than a quantity problem, if I recall correctly.

scorrie
25-May-08, 21:25
Anyone ever been given 13 of anything when they ask for a dozen in the bakers?

I haven't, but I did have two young female bakery assistants creasing themselves for a good five minutes when asking the simple question "Can I have a chocolate muffin please?"

Other customers in the shop seemed to think it was my fault that the lassies were laughing so much that they couldn't serve.

TBH
25-May-08, 21:32
That was a timing issue, rather than a quantity problem, if I recall correctly.It's been so long since I have watched that movie. One of his Douglas' best

northener
25-May-08, 22:06
I haven't, but I did have two young female bakery assistants creasing themselves for a good five minutes when asking the simple question "Can I have a chocolate muffin please?"

Other customers in the shop seemed to think it was my fault that the lassies were laughing so much that they couldn't serve.

We went across to Stromness with some friends and went into the bakers/pie shop on the main street on a wet and cold day.

Mrs N (being from Barnsley, Yorkshire) said to the young girl behind the counter
"' 'Cuse me luv, could yer 'eat this pie for me?"
The girl looked worried so Mrs N said "I jus' want yer to 'eat the pie"

The poor lassie looked even more bewildered and slowly began to move the pie towards her mouth....

It was only then I realised what the problem was - "No! Heat the pie, luv. Not eat the pie!"

joxville
25-May-08, 23:03
We went across to Stromness with some friends and went into the bakers/pie shop on the main street on a wet and cold day.

Mrs N (being from Barnsley, Yorkshire) said to the young girl behind the counter

The poor lassie looked even more bewildered and slowly began to move the pie towards her mouth....

It was only then I realised what the problem was - "No! Heat the pie, luv. Not eat the pie!"

Hilarious yet again North one.

joxville
25-May-08, 23:14
The reason for the baker's dozen was so that they weren't underweight and gave an extra one just to be sure. That law was changed many years ago so that they could be sold in quantity, which is why you'll only get what you ask for. It does not apply to bread, which still has to be sold at 1lb or 2lb weights-or the metric equivilent which I think is 400g and 800g.

When I worked in Johnston's bakery we had to record what was left at the end of the day and one new despatch lady asked another how to spell 'meringue'. The second lady said "I don't know", so the first says "what do you write then" to which the reply was "I don't write anything-I just eat them"

Lord Flasheart
25-May-08, 23:30

You should have asked for some Baps too.

Sporran
26-May-08, 05:54

The lassie just wanted to have the cake pie and eat it, too! ;)

scorrie
26-May-08, 15:17
It's been so long since I have watched that movie. One of his Douglas' best

It's been years since I saw it as well, but the scene stuck in my mind, as I was tickled by the idea that you had to use a gun to get McDonalds (or whoever) to serve a breakfast outside the normal breakfast hours!!