brandy
25-Nov-05, 12:16
aye aye aye

unicorn
25-Nov-05, 12:33
with these winds at the moment its a definate nay from me

Jeid
25-Nov-05, 12:41
snow is awesome, but with all this bloody wind? forget it!

Saveman
25-Nov-05, 13:09
Looks like rain and wind at the minute.......but the wind will be turning to the north east and easing in strength.......apparently, don't quote me on it...

Tugmistress
25-Nov-05, 13:12
hmmmmmmmm, snow :D

would love the wind to drop to nothing and then about 2ft of snow to dumped on us..... i reckon i will only get this in my dreams though :(

cezzy1234
25-Nov-05, 13:15
hi i would rather snow than this horabble wether the snow is a lot nicer than this horrabble wind it has destroyed most of the garrden and it said to get worse before it gets better

Shadow
25-Nov-05, 13:23
Aye!!! I love snow:D It's the best weather!

Saveman
25-Nov-05, 13:33
Wind direction = NNW

But isn't the wind direction actually SSE?

Should it not be "Direction the wind is coming from= NNW" ;o)

unicorn
25-Nov-05, 13:35
oh yeah just to totally confuse me lol I could lose my direction in an empty room :)

moncur
25-Nov-05, 14:03
snow would be preferrable to the wind thats going on at the moment!

golach
25-Nov-05, 15:43
Wind direction = NNW

But isn't the wind direction actually SSE?

Should it not be "Direction the wind is coming from= NNW" ;o)

When the Met office says that the Wind is in a Northerly / Southerly or what ever direction, they mean thats is coming FROM that direction

Saveman
25-Nov-05, 17:47
Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up for me.

MadPict
26-Nov-05, 14:16
Snow. Hmm, sure way to bring this country to a complete and utter halt!

I am amazed that the weather is such a news worthy item that they have reports from all over the country describing that they have had maybe a few flurries of snow. And now the BBC has a "send your weather pics" line!!!

Is it just me that thinks we have gone completely over the top with the weather?

I can remember the bad winters in the far north, of folk stuck on the train from Inverness and being handed Mars Bars from the buffet car, of days of snow and high winds. I learnt to drive in snowy conditions. Driving around some of the minor roads in Caithness taught me alot about winter driving and my limits.

Now, we get a single day of the white stuff and you'd think it was the start of the next ice age. People still drive as if it was a dry sunny day and they wonder why they end up in a ditch or in the back of the car in front!

We have winter easy in the UK - I expect the Scandanavians and others who have "real" winters snigger into their warm beverages of choice at our inability to handle a few flakes of snow and a couple of cold days.

Bring back real winters I say!!!!

Bumblebee
26-Nov-05, 17:59
I say a definite 'aye'!! I love snow and can't wait for some to come, as it was too wet for it to settle when it last fell. Just as long as it doesn't stay here too long as then we won't be able to get anywhere!

Peach
26-Nov-05, 18:21
Aye, aye! ;)

kas
27-Nov-05, 12:38
Imagine if all the rain we have had over the last 48 hours had been snow, and with that wind. LOL.

I dont think we'd have been wanting it so much then. But I love snow and thinks its very unfair that we never got any, especially as Cornwall got a dumping. I thought the forecasters said the North of Scotland and not the South of England.

Why does Caithness always seem to miss alot of the snow. I was told it was to do with the gulf stream. Any info on this anyone?

Saveman
27-Nov-05, 14:25
Is it something to do with the fact we have the sea on two sides? So we get more hail than snow.

Thats my theory anyway.

:)

Tugmistress
27-Nov-05, 17:53
Sea Surface Temperatures have a lot to do with it, the air needs to be under a certain temp for any precipitation to fall as snow. this temp can vary depending on the temp of what is below the air, being sea or land.
so yes the sea does play a big part in snowfall.
the temp of the air at about 18,000ft, if it is -10c or less, there is a good chance of snow, though not guaranteed.
if i have done the link right, the chart below is for tomorrow noon, where the blue is approaching our coast, you can see a line that says -10, that is the temp of the air at that specific height (approx 18,000ft).
above us at that altitude i would estimate the air temp to be about -7 or -8c ... so if the sea isn't too warm, and the ground temp is cold enough, tomorrow afternoon my see snow, though more likely sleet round here, more chance of snow the higher in altitude you are above sea level.
hope that helps
http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn242.gif

Tugmistress
27-Nov-05, 19:01
I think hail rather than snow can fall when snow showers are forecast is because a shallow warm and moist layer beneath the cloud partially melts snow flakes and over coastal areas where the showers develop, the vigorous updrafts from convection of warmer air from the sea surface causes the water droplets to freeze again as they are forced upwards above the freezing level until they get so heavy by colliding with supercooled droplets in the cloud that they fall by gravity as hail.

Basically for hail or graupel rather than snow to fall you need warm and moist air in the lower layers usually supplied by the warmer SSTs and vigorous convective clouds with a high moisture content.

DrSzin
27-Nov-05, 19:43
Wow, tugmistress, you put Heather the Weather to shame. Will we see you on tv after Reporting Scotland?

Tugmistress
27-Nov-05, 20:13
lol, cheers DrSzin :)

No you wont see me on telly, i have a lot of learning to do ;) and i am too old for being a telly dolly ;)

Julia
28-Nov-05, 22:20
Aye to lots and lots of snow!