PDA

View Full Version : George Best

Sandra
25-Nov-05, 09:57
Ok he was a footballing hero ... but a footballer before our time for most of us ... I certainly have only ever known him as the alcoholic ex-footballing legend with a beard. It's always sad for family and friends when someone dies, no matter in what circumstances.

He just seems to have abused the treatment given to him over and over again, and I feel that medical resourses could have been used on people who wouldnt have abused it. It could have gone to someone else that wouldn't abuse it, but the dilemma here is how would the doctors or we know they would abuse it.

It makes me feel sad when we know that there are so many that spend years on a waiting list for transplants. There aren't many that are lucky enough to have a transplant and a second chance at life. Those that do, I hope, make life changing alterations to their lifestyle in order to make the most of what is a miracle gift.

However, an addiction is as strong as it sounds, and must be so hard to overcome.

What are people's thoughts on this?

porshiepoo
25-Nov-05, 10:08
The same as you sandra really. He got that liver transplant and abused it when it could have saved the life of someone who really would have appreciated it.
He wasn't even that great a footballer anyway!

Like you say it's sad for the family when someone dies butI personally think we should mourn the loss of a human being rather than some great footballer. I'm not trying to dtract from the success he had but given the footballing talent we have around today, I don't think he was that great!

squidge
25-Nov-05, 10:55
George Best was a great Footballer. His life has been lived in the glare of publicity and somehow its fitting that his death should be so. At least he is famous for something which is more than some celebrities these days. In his time George Best was the best footballer - there are some famous clips where he literally toyed with the defenders he played against - i cant watch the old footage of him without smiling. He was a great player and a great star.

His battle with alcoholism is well documented and he deserves compassion and understanding. I have nothing but admiration for people fighting alcoholsm because they have to try so hard and its so difficult. George tried and tried and tried and in the end his life became more about fighting the booze than about the talent that he had. Thats a real a shame

I am sad that George Best is so poorly and i am sorry that he couldnt beat the alcoholism. If the papers think its newsworthy - im not going to argue. They could be filling hte front pages with sensationalist stories about bird flu or boring stories about tory party leadership contests

DrSzin
25-Nov-05, 11:04
[...]
I'm not trying to dtract from the success he had but given the footballing talent we have around today, I don't think he was that great! Absolute rubbish! George Best was perhaps the most talented British footballer ever, and he used his talent to devastating effect in the period 1964-68. You obviously didn't see him play at his peak: he was truly awesome. Man U likely wouldn't have won the European Cup in '68 without him. In fact, one might argue that Best was the best player in the world at the time, with Pele, Eusebio, Moore, and perhaps even a couple of his Man U team-mates as the obvious competition.

It's hard to believe that Best played in the same team as Denis Law & Bobby Charlton -- that combination was something else, and their Man U side was perhaps the best ever. Indeed, all three make it into Mark Lawrenson's British best XI of all time (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/sports_talk/1046528.stm).

I will be truly saddened when George Best dies; as a footballer, he was one of the greatest. As a man? Well, the previous posters have presented their opinions and I'm not going to argue with any of them.

If you think I'm hopelessly biased, then you'd be 100% right! Remember that these are the opinions of a lifelong Liverpool fan who likes nothing better than to bet on Man U losing against the Reds, and who wanted to see Best's Man U lose every week! May 29, 1968 was a veritable nightmare for this particular Red, but I sure appreciated what Best & his team had achieved when they destroyed Benfica that night.

As a footballer, George was 'Simply the Best'.

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Nov-05, 11:12
He played for the The Hibs, boy! 'Nuff said.

Karaoke Queen
25-Nov-05, 11:44
Well said guys!

Porshiepoo what absolute rubbish you're talking indeed! :rolleyes:

highlander2222
25-Nov-05, 12:44
[.

You have to be joking

DrSzin
25-Nov-05, 12:59
Thanks for that highlander2222. I wasn't aware that you knew better than such footballing nobodies as Pelé and Maradona whose opinions are quoted as (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Best):

Best has often been called the most naturally gifted player from the British Isles, rivaled only by Pelé (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pel%C3%A9) and Diego Maradona (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Maradona) on the world stage. Maradona himself has frequently named Best as his all-time favourite player [1] (http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,6903,337093,00.html). Pelé once stated that George Best was the best player he ever saw play and named him as one of the 125 best living footballers in his 2004 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004) FIFA 100 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_100) list.

I'll be sure to take note of your opinions on everything from now on. :rolleyes:

Penny
25-Nov-05, 15:26
The same as you sandra really. He got that liver transplant and abused it when it could have saved the life of someone who really would have appreciated it.

Like you say it's sad for the family when someone dies butI personally think we should mourn the loss of a human being rather than some great footballer. I'm not trying to dtract from the success he had but given the footballing talent we have around today, I don't think he was that great!

I really think that you should engage your brain before you hit the keyboard ‘porshiepoo’.
What are you talking about – of course George Best wanted to live and the poor soul proved that with the fight to end all fights that he put up ever since he had his transplant - alcoholism is an illness, which poor George had no control over.
You said - loss of a human being rather than some great footballer - do you really think that being a footballer made him non-human?
Your inane remarks have made me feel quite sick – again!

God rest his soul.

golach
25-Nov-05, 15:37
Thanks for that highlander2222. I wasn't aware that you knew better than such footballing nobodies as Pelé and Maradona whose opinions are quoted as (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Best):

Best has often been called the most naturally gifted player from the British Isles, rivaled only by Pelé (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pel%C3%A9) and Diego Maradona (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Maradona) on the world stage. Maradona himself has frequently named Best as his all-time favourite player [1] (http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,6903,337093,00.html). Pelé once stated that George Best was the best player he ever saw play and named him as one of the 125 best living footballers in his 2004 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004) FIFA 100 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_100) list.

I'll be sure to take note of your opinions on everything from now on. :rolleyes:

But thats it he was just a football player, he had talent in his feet, so what!!!.
Look at Diego Maradona now, a overweight Argentinian junkie, are these the type of peers you want your children to look up to? Pele is a different story the man is a diplomat for all sport and his country.
Dont get me wrong I am sad that George Best has died in these circumstances, but what difference to the World did he make. Its all Media hype and I wont be shedding any tears for him, even if he played for Hibs.

squidge
25-Nov-05, 16:02
but what difference to the World did he make. Its all Media hype and I wont be shedding any tears for him, even if he played for Hibs.

In his time George Best inspired a generation of footballers - kids - to kick a ball about. He made no secret of his fight with the bottle and that is something that is brave and showed the dangers of alcohol abuse and maybe made some people think about the way they drink and how they look when they are drunk

He had twinkly eyes and a good word and a laugh whenever you saw him. There never appeared to be any badness in him - he struggled with life in a way that many of us do and i think he is worth a sympathetic thought and a moments reflection even if you arent prone to tears.

DrSzin
25-Nov-05, 16:10
Golach, no-one mentioned children looking up at Best -- well, no-one other than you. :rolleyes:

I was talking about his footballing talent and skills. Don't be so presumptuous!

Anyway, he was a footballing hero to kids in the mid 60s. He was football's equivalent of Lennon, McCartney or (perhaps better) Mick Jagger. But that wasn't my point. As I said:

Sandra
25-Nov-05, 16:11
I suppose we have to remember that George wasn't just a footballer, he was someones father, someones son, someones friend, whose struggle with alcoholism just happened to make national attention via the media.

At least he will be remembered fondly for his footballing skills, and his name and legacy will live on.

peter macdonald
25-Nov-05, 17:02
There is/was a lot of media hype about George Best but there are somethings that need to be rmembered He was the most naturally talented footballer produced in the UK since the 2nd world war, not only the opinion of the paying punters but also that of his peers ie people who make their living from football and know what it takes Also it should be remembered that Bests friends including his biographers all comment on his shyness and it is a strong possibility that his drinking started as he used alchohol as a shield to overcome this. ( His mother who was a very private person never touched alcohol until she was 40 however died an alchoholic in her mid 50s, it was said that she never came to terms with the intrusion into her life by the media)
As to him never having an effect on society ,,he was the inspiration for millions of kids world wide to play football (even if it was only at the lowest level) he was the reason many females became interested in what was previously a purely male sporting experience Also if you appreciate the beauty of sport then the young George Best was the ultimate in grace balance and style
I have been lucky enough to have met some of his friends and ex collegues ..not one had a wrong word to say about him ..remarking that his faults were to himself
..... he was as some one else wrote on this thread a son a father and friend
as well as being an astonishing footballer

scorrie
25-Nov-05, 17:02
George Best had a tremendous talent but for all that his career at the top was pretty short. He largely squandered his gift and mirrors Maradona in that respect, perhaps explaining why Maradona had a soft spot for him.

As a man George Best was a failure, he cheated on just about every woman who ever showed him any love and he abused his second bite at life, denying someone else, who might have showed more respect, the opportunity of a new liver.

No doubt different people will choose to remember George Best for different reasons. For me it is hard to remember him as anything other than selfish and it is perhaps significant that Best himself is reported to have said that he would like his organs to be donated and that he be remembered for that. When it comes right down to it, being remembered as a good husband/wife, father/mother and generally good person matters more than some piece of skill on a football field in bygone days.

porshiepoo
25-Nov-05, 17:03
What are you talking about – of course George Best wanted to live and the poor soul proved that with the fight to end all fights that he put up ever since he had his transplant - alcoholism is an illness, which poor George had no control over.

Oh poor poor George, did his best eh! Not his fault he couldn't help drinking. Poppy cock! I know what the disease is all about and I know the selfishness of the people who have it and the destruction it causes to all involved. I have not one ounce of pity for the alcoholic but ten ton of it for the family and kids it destroys. Yes he may have gotten some help, for all the good it did him, but it wasn't that long after that he hit the bottle again and destroyed what little chance he and his family had of watching him grow old.

You said - loss of a human being rather than some great footballer - do you really think that being a footballer made him non-human?
Your inane remarks have made me feel quite sick – again!

Stop trying to read between the lines. I was just trying to say, mourn the man as a husband, a dad, a son even a victim of a disease if you need to, but as far as I'm concerned thats all he was. Any victory he had as a football player is sadly clouded by his failure as anything else.
If my remarks make you feel sick - grab a bucket. It's my opinion only and if you don't like it - tough!

God rest his soul.[/quote]

squidge
25-Nov-05, 17:09
Poppy cock! I know what the disease is all about and I know the selfishness of the people who have it and the destruction it causes to all involved. I have not one ounce of pity for the alcoholic but ten ton of it for the family and kids it destroys.

You are a study in heartlessness porshiepoo - do you know sometimes when i read your posts i am so glad i dont live in your selfish, insular world where compassion always appears to be a dirty word.
And yet...

God rest his soul.

Maybe there is hope for you yet

Naefearjustbeer
25-Nov-05, 17:21
The man is no even cold and somehow this forum turns it into a slagging match! Have some respect. The man and his family have suffered a great deal, no matter what you think of him have a bit of decency and let him rest in piece.

porshiepoo
25-Nov-05, 17:44
This isn't a slagging match. It's a forum whereby people are posting their opinions on current topics.
My opinion is George Best wasn't a great footballer, others opinions are that I'm heartless but maybe salvageable ;) Thats all it is though. No ones getting irate as far as I'm aware.

Squidge, I'm not heartless, believe me. George Best for whatever reason appears to be an icon in this country as some great footballer. However, I would have more compassion for a man that is an icon in the eyes of his kids and family, somehow though I doubt they've had the chance to see the man he could have been without alcohol. If you've never lived with alcoholism then you can't even begin to understand the destruction it causes. It's one of those diseases that unfortunately afflicts the family just as much as the person who has it and when George has passed over, the destruction it caused those close to him will unfortunately stay with them for a long while to come.

I hope for him and his family that when he passes over, it's peaceful and pain free. I hope the media don't turn his death into a circus and make it harder than it already is for his family. But mostly, I hope he's learnt whatever it is that he came here in this life to learn. That way it wouldn't have been an entire waste and maybe if he chooses to come back it won't be to learn the same thing over again.

pedromcgrory
25-Nov-05, 18:13
in the end who cares ,nothing yous argue about or wot u have to say matters really ,as far as i can say its in the past let it stay there i guess

porshiepoo
25-Nov-05, 18:41
Well I kind of agree pedromcgrory but this is a forum for debate so we're debating! :o

Naefearjustbeer
25-Nov-05, 18:53
Well I kind of agree pedromcgrory but this is a forum for debate so we're debating! :o

I hope you never have to read a public forum discussing/debating how good/bad a recently deceased member of your family was. It is probally a very slim chance of a close relative or friend of George reading this forum but if they did I am sure it is the last thing they would need to see at a time like this.

unicorn
25-Nov-05, 19:02
I feel incredibly sorry for all involved alcoholism is an incredibly difficult issue for any family and his family will have been to hell and back for many years watching him suffer through his disease and his self destruction but the fact is that as a disease it is so hard to combat. His family will torture themselves for many years to come wondering if they could have done more but they will also be able to start a more normal life now without worrying about every phonecall being the dreaded one that he has hurt himself etc. It is as a human who lost many battles with his disease that I think of George best and my thoughts are with his family.

_Ju_
25-Nov-05, 19:13
Alcoholism is an addiction yes. An addiction is a disease. A disease you need help to fight and one you are never cured of. But it isn't untreatable. In my opinion he was never given a real reason to fight it. Other treatments were made available to him without his dealing effectively with the primary case of his liver failure.
Because Best was a great footballer, he had the oportunity to have a life saving transplant before treating the disease of alcoholism that killed his original liver. He was not put through his paces, like you or I would be if we were cirrotic alcoholics. In my opinion the people that authorized this transplant did wrong not only to the person who would respect his transplanted liver, but also to Best, who did not learn the lesson he needed to learn a long time ago: give up the alcohol or give up life.
So, I won't dwell on the death of a very, very talented football player that had so many oportunities that were wasted. I'll just hope that the last photo's published of him, will, as is said he wished, deter at least one young person out there that is risking the same end to life.

Sporran
25-Nov-05, 19:51
Anyway, he was a footballing hero to kids in the mid 60s. He was football's equivalent of Lennon, McCartney or (perhaps better) Mick Jagger. But that wasn't my point. As I said:

Yep, he sure was! I'm not much of a football fan, but even I was impressed by George Best in his hey day! I actually enjoyed watching football when he was playing. How anyone can say he was not a great footballer is beyond me! Some of our posters are probably too young to remember George in his prime. He played with athletic gracefulness, and was quite mesmerizing to watch, I can tell you!

Rest in peace, George. You will be remembered at your best by many!

porshiepoo
25-Nov-05, 19:51
I hope you never have to read a public forum discussing/debating how good/bad a recently deceased member of your family was. It is probally a very slim chance of a close relative or friend of George reading this forum but if they did I am sure it is the last thing they would need to see at a time like this.

Believe me they will and have read worse in the paper. I'm not a hypocrite naefear, on this debating forum I have expressed my honest opinion, I won't keep it quiet just because it may offend those who believe this forum should only be full of false niceities.

Unicorn, that is the exact destruction I am talking about. An alcoholics family will spend a long time after that persons death convincing themselves that they could have done more and maybe prevented the eventual outcome.When the truth of the matter is, that maybe theres a slim chance as some do recover, but the chances are you are about to spend the next few years of your life embarrassed, ashamed and sad followed by years of that regret you talk of when the alcoholic passes away.
It's those people that I feel for, not the ones who had every possible chance put in front of them to recover and do nothing short of throwing it back in their face. Then, the poor bloody family have no choice but to watch their loved one die a slow death, thats if they're lucky. There are those that don't even get the chance of those last few days, they just find him dead, yellowed from the liver disease and get the honour of identifiying the rotton body on a mortuary slab. That, is what stays with family members forever.

porshiepoo
25-Nov-05, 19:52
Yep, he sure was! I'm not much of a football fan, but even I was impressed by George Best in his hey day! I actually enjoyed watching football when he was playing. How anyone can say he was not a great footballer is beyond me! Some of our posters are probably too young to remember George in his prime. He played with athletic gracefulness, and was quite mesmerizing to watch, I can tell you!

You know what, I completely understand heroisism, but in this case it's misplaced. My opinion only!:(

There are footballers around today who have given much more and were sober while they were doing it!

tip top
25-Nov-05, 20:29
There are footballers around today who have given much more and were sober while they were doing it!

Praise be for Maradona and the "hand of God"!!

Jeid
25-Nov-05, 20:33
in my opinion, George Best was one of the best players ever to play the game of football. I too am a hardcore Liverpool fan and its very difficult for me to admit it. he was a genius with the ball. i watched so many clips of him dribbling past defences today, in terrible playing conditions, it makes me wonder what he would have been like today!

People seem to be judging George Best on his alcoholism. Yes, he had a liver transplant... lots of people do, yet still go back on the drink. I think in Best's case, because he was in the public eye, people are more aware of it and criticise him. I however won't. He battled hard with a disease and it won. It happens. Its life. There's no point sitting here arguing about how he did or did not squander his life away etc. I'm sure he would be the first person to admit that if he had!

People need to remember Best for what he was good at.... playing football. Now, stop your bitching and talk about how great he was!

porshiepoo
25-Nov-05, 20:37
I would if I thought he was that great, I just don't.

RandomHero
25-Nov-05, 20:40
No one from George Best's family is going to read this. And besides, you had no problem discussing the missing fisherman or the incident at the bridge the other week.

porshiepoo
25-Nov-05, 20:43
Hear hear Randomhero. It would appear theres many on here that can discuss issues as long as it doesn't insult their sensibilities!

gleeber
25-Nov-05, 20:51
RIP Georgie. Simply the best

porshiepoo
25-Nov-05, 20:54
RIP Georgie. Simply the best

I think you'll find that was Tina Turner! :rolleyes:

gleeber
25-Nov-05, 21:15

Who winds you up in the morning? Are you mechanical or do you work with batteries?

golach
25-Nov-05, 21:17

Porshie that was not very nice and was uncalled for

DrSzin
25-Nov-05, 21:24
There are footballers around today who have given much more and were sober while they were doing it! Absolutely. That I agree with. Amongst recent ManU players, Roy Keane and David Beckham fit into that category infinitely better than Best. But Best was more talented, and I would rather watch him than either of them. Of the present bunch, only Ronaldo and Giggs come anywhere near in terms of on-the-ball skills.

And surely no player has given more to that club than Bobby Charlton.

Gawd, what am I doing? I'm getting seriously worried here, I'm extolling the virtues of the Devils -- I'll need an exorcism before I'm ever allowed back into the Kop.

golach
25-Nov-05, 21:27
Absolutely. That I agree with. Amongst recent ManU players, Roy Keane and David Beckham fit into that category infinitely better than Best. But Best was more talented, and I would rather watch him than either of them. Of the present bunch, only Ronaldo and Giggs come anywhere near in terms of on-the-ball skills.

And surely no player has given more to that club than Bobby Charlton.

Gawd, what am I doing? I'm getting seriously worried here, I'm extolling the virtues of the Devils -- I'll need an exorcism before I'm ever allowed back into the Kop.
What about oor ane the likes of Denis Law, Kenny Dalglish, Andy Grey, Ally McCoist, to name but a few

daviddd
25-Nov-05, 21:41
It's patently obvious Porshiepoo is just attention-seeking (a liitle like George perhaps?) so let him / her ramble on regardless; best not to react!

I just watched the hour-long trib to him on TV and felt very moved by his vulnerability, and his great talent. there but for the grace of God go I etc. he was one of the greatest player I have ever seen, I watched him at close quarters home and away in the late 60's / early 70's and was in awe at his skills, admittedly occasional but worth waiting for. I can understand his willingness to accept adulation as the '5th Beatle' as he was basically such a shy personality who welcomed a friendly approach, even if it was in the acceptance of a drink or an approach from a groupie. Many shy people become animated with such stimulations and he was no exeption.

He lived his life as he saw best, was probably happy with that, but inspired millions, did no-one ill and died young. may he REST IN PEACE. Amen.

scorrie
25-Nov-05, 22:01
He lived his life as he saw best, was probably happy with that, but inspired millions, did no-one ill and died young. may he REST IN PEACE. Amen.

Did no-one any ill? Come off it. George was a serial womaniser who cheated on just about every woman he was involved with. When he was down on his luck one woman took him under her wing, only to be thanked by George having an affair with her sister.

George was gifted but I don't think that is any reason for him to be worshipped as a hero. Far better in my opinion to look up to someone who was less blessed with talent but who worked hard to succeed in life. That is far more inspirational than watching a talent squandered by someone who went through life looking after his own interest, with little consideration for his partners.

59 wasn't a bad innings for someone who led the life George did. Many others have lived far more spartan lives and died much younger.

DrSzin
25-Nov-05, 22:02
What about oor ane the likes of Denis Law, Kenny Dalglish, Andy Grey, Ally McCoist, to name but a few With the exception of Denis Law, none of that little lot played for Man Utd. But, sure, there have been lots of brilliant Scots in Man U sides over the years. Some of the best that spring to mind are Law (simply the best too), Pat Crerand, Martin Buchan, Joe Jordan, Gordon McQueen, Gordon Strachan, Brian McClair, Lou Macari, err, err, I'm no Man U fan, so I'm running out of names here, help!

I almost put Denis Law alongside Bobby Charlton, but didn't because Charlton never left.

As for King Kenny, what can I say? He, Alan Hansen and Graeme Souness, were some of the best players ever to grace the hallowed turf. Then there were Ian St John, Tommy Lawrence, Steve Nicol, ... Whoops, wrong club, I'm inadvertently going to a home game. :o

And managers too: Matt Busby and the incomparable Alex Ferguson -- but as a dyed-in-the wool Don (meah, yeah, I tend to keep that relatively quiet these days), I've never quite forgiven him for leaving in '86...

At this point, I could finish with Shanks' famous quote about football and life & death, but it would be trite and tasteless so I won't.

daviddd
25-Nov-05, 22:22
Did no-one any ill? Come off it. George was a serial womaniser who cheated on just about every woman he was involved with. When he was down on his luck one woman took him under her wing, only to be thanked by George having an affair with her sister.

George was gifted but I don't think that is any reason for him to be worshipped as a hero. Far better in my opinion to look up to someone who was less blessed with talent but who worked hard to succeed in life. That is far more inspirational than watching a talent squandered by someone who went through life looking after his own interest, with little consideration for his partners.

59 wasn't a bad innings for someone who led the life George did. Many others have lived far more spartan lives and died much younger.Serial womaniser? - maybe - but the women were presumably quite willing? They threw themselves at hin everywhere he turned. What man or woman fro that matter wouldn't be flattered?! Why blame him particularly? seems a very one-sided (and if I might say somewhat bitter) view. I agree absolutely that one should respect others who have had to work harder with fewer talents, that goes without saying, but personally I think that it's naive to judge his kind or personality so harshly, we have to try and see the whole picture, think laterally, tolerantly, and not react so emotionally.

hereboy
25-Nov-05, 23:58
My fav George Best quote is from a Parky show one time when he was asked why he went to play football in North America...?

His reply was that he saw a bus in London once that had "Drink Canada Dry" written on the side of it so he thought he'd give it a try...

George Best - you can at least admire his wit if not always his wisdom!

He was a star.

Naefearjustbeer
26-Nov-05, 00:06
Believe me they will and have read worse in the paper. I'm not a hypocrite naefear, on this debating forum I have expressed my honest opinion, I won't keep it quiet just because it may offend those who believe this forum should only be full of false niceities.

I didn't realise every thread on the forum had to be a debate. You have used this term in more than one post recently. Do you think you have to debate everything that is posted? I dont.
I read most threads and agree and disagree with many points raised on a variety of subjects. I read this one and felt it was disrespectful to a recently deceased man, I do not follow football so have no comment to make on his skills and I don't feel that it is correct to slate the man for his other activities. Let those who admire him remember those good points and leave the dirt where it belongs under the ground.

porshiepoo
26-Nov-05, 00:12
I didn't realise every thread on the forum had to be a debate. You have used this term in more than one post recently. Do you think you have to debate everything that is posted? I dont.
I read most threads and agree and disagree with many points raised on a variety of subjects. I read this one and felt it was disrespectful to a recently deceased man, I do not follow football so have no comment to make on his skills and I don't feel that it is correct to slate the man for his other activities. Let those who admire him remember those good points and leave the dirt where it belongs under the ground.

I have full respect for those who have posted comments on their love of this man, I in return have posted my opinion that I have more compassion for the family. End of! It doesn't need to be turned into some great slanging match.

Naefearjustbeer
26-Nov-05, 00:12
No one from George Best's family is going to read this. And besides, you had no problem discussing the missing fisherman or the incident at the bridge the other week.

I thought those threads were worse as it was highly likely that family members of those involved could see what was being written. Very insensitive and in very poor taste.

phoenix
26-Nov-05, 00:50
I have full respect for those who have posted comments on their love of this man, I in return have posted my opinion that I have more compassion for the family. End of! It doesn't need to be turned into some great slanging match.

Respect? You dont know the meaning of the word! As for slanging you are pretty good at instigating it! End of!

George Best was George Best.........He had a hard path to walk only he knows the reasons why! RIP George!

DrSzin
26-Nov-05, 02:33
My fav Best quote is:

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Groucho Marx might have said that.

scotsboy
26-Nov-05, 05:07
Porshiepoo wrote:

My opinion is George Best wasn't a great footballer

Please provide some basis for this opinion you hold.

George Best was a fantastic footballer.

gleeber
26-Nov-05, 10:00
There was something about George Best that touched all of us who grew up with him. It was only when I heard of his physical illness 3 years ago that I realised it. I felt sad but didnt know why.
Some people were sad when Diana died, some when the poor pope died, I was sad when George Best died

scotsboy
26-Nov-05, 11:00
You are right Gleeber. For those of us of a certain age George Best epitomized the halcyon days of our youth. When watching live football on the TV was an event where family and friends gathered round the black and white set, when you used to collect coins and badges from petrol stations and swap them with your mates, when football was the peoples game. I remember having some pocket money and heading off to the newsagents in the arcade Thurso, I was going to buy a football pennant – the newsagents used to stock football memorabilia in those days – I was swithering between a George Best Manchester United & Northern Ireland one or a Rangers one….I chose the Rangers one. But it was a close choice, because George Best was THE boys hero of that age.

DrSzin
26-Nov-05, 12:43
Scotsboy, did you collect England World Cup squad coins in 1970? There was a set of (I think) 30 plastic coins, each bearing the image of a player that was (supposedly) in the squad for Mexico City. We used to hang around Pennyland Garage and ask drivers if they would give us their coins after they'd filled up. I didn't quite get the complete set; I think I was one, or perhaps two, coins short. IIRC the rarest coin was "Henry Newton". How I remember that I have no idea! Anyway, I only recall one of my schoolmates having the Henry Newton coin. Ironically, Henry Newton didn't go to Mexico in the end!

I've done a Google search for Henry Newton and I think I was right (http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/5-25-2002-19079.asp):

In 1970 there were those Esso coins of England players, several of whom did not come close to selection for the final squad (swap Ian Storey-Moore for Henry Newton anyone?).

In case anyone is wondering why we collected England coins, I'm afraid Scotland didn't qualify that year.:(

scotsboy
26-Nov-05, 13:22
Aye I collected them, also the Esso football club badges and I thinkit was also Esso who did the Man in Flight series.

On the subject of England in the World Cup in Mexico 70, I remember the Mount Pleasant School Football team giving a rendition of Back Home in the end of year concert - can't see that happening these days.

scotsboy
26-Nov-05, 13:50
One available on ebay Doc:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ESSO-World-Cup-Coin-Collection-1970-Complete_W0QQitemZ8728388065QQcategoryZ68295QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Also some great memories here - I forgot about the 3-D animals one:

http://www.whom.co.uk/squelch/essoprom.htm

DrSzin
26-Nov-05, 14:00
I collected Man in Flight Coins (http://www.whom.co.uk/squelch/shell_mf.htm) too. That site also has the Esso 1970 World Cup coins (http://www.whom.co.uk/squelch/essoco70.htm) and the football club badges (http://www.whom.co.uk/squelch/essobadg.htm). Curiously, I don't remember the latter.

As for "Back Home", what a dreadful ditty that was.:mad:

As many others have said, it's a great pity that George Best never had the opportunity to grace the stage at the World Cup Finals. If he'd been English (God forbid), he could have done battle on the greatest stage of all in 1966 and 1970. I guess Best would have been picked to play on the right wing ahead of Alan Ball. But Alf Ramsey was a conservative, so he may have preferred Ball. Who knows?

scotsboy
26-Nov-05, 14:06
West Bronwich Albion was the one to get in the football badges - about as common as away wins for Rangers this season.

highlander2222
26-Nov-05, 14:33

???????????????? What r u on

jellybean
26-Nov-05, 15:17
[.

You have to be joking

Dr Szin
I may be wrong but in Highlander2222's post, I think that he/she originally quotes porshiepoo, and doesn't actually think that George Best wasn't a great footballer. That may explain the post before mine.

DrSzin
26-Nov-05, 16:03
Dr Szin
I may be wrong but in Highlander2222's post, I think that he/she originally quotes porshiepoo, and doesn't actually think that George Best wasn't a great footballer. That may explain the post before mine.
Yup, I think you're right. Thanks jellybean.

Sorry if I misunderstood you highlander2222, but your original post does appear to say that Best wasn't "that great a footballer". I ignored your second post because I had no idea what you were getting at. :confused:

Blast!
26-Nov-05, 16:39
Poshiepoo, to say George Best 'wasn't a great footballer anyway' is an insult to football fan's the world over. Educate yourself. Watch some clips on the countless tribute shows that will be aired in the next week or so. The man was a genius, a young working class boy from the back streets of Belfast who made the big time.

I may only be a mere 19 but i've seen footage and i've heard stories and there's been a lot of them. My grandad always talks fondly of how good George Best really was, he rates him as high as the likes of Pele and Maradona. He was a genius and when he was on the ball people expected something to happen.

Remember him for the football.

scotsboy
26-Nov-05, 16:55
There used to be a picture of George Best in the St Clair Hotel Public Bar in Thurso - given to Thurso Hibs Supporters some years back, is it still on the wall?

htwood
26-Nov-05, 17:49
Best was a brilliant player, and even more amazing, is remembered as such with only 6 years (or less) at the top of his game. Even when he was headed downhill and played here for the San Jose Earthquakes, he was astounding to watch.
Pele called him the greatest footballer in the world, that's enough for me.
As for his alcoholism, some folks can beat the addiction, and others are lost to it. Its a sad topic, whether its booze, fags or ganja or all.

highlander2222
26-Nov-05, 18:43
Yup, I think you're right. Thanks jellybean.

Sorry if I misunderstood you highlander2222, but your original post does appear to say that Best wasn't "that great a footballer". I ignored your second post because I had no idea what you were getting at. :confused:

Best was i of the greats of football + i had the honour of meeting the great man at easter road. A day i will never forgreat

highlander2222
26-Nov-05, 18:45
Dr Szin

Thanks jellybean

lorraine_2406
26-Nov-05, 19:02
I was very angry at the news and the papers about George Best fair enough he is a football legend and well known and liked man but at the moment i am living in germany as my husband is in the army there are men going to iraq fighting for there country to make it a safer place as my husband will be going out there in jan at the time of george best being taken back into hospital there was one of our soldiers from the 7th armoured brigade(´The Deserts Rats) killed by a road side bomb and he was mentioned all of 2 seconds its a disgrace

porshiepoo
26-Nov-05, 20:38
Have to agree with you there lorraine, it's sad when a drunken footballer gets more of a mention and respect than the men and women who are protecting this country.
My sympathies go out to all the friends and family of the killed soldier :(

Good luck to you and your husband. Stay safe!
Please send your husband and all the dessert rats my deepest respect for what they do. It's something I admit I would never have the courage to do myself!

Rheghead
26-Nov-05, 20:58
I was very angry at the news and the papers about George Best

I can't see the logic where celebration for one person's hero is seen as a slap in the face for another's.

porshiepoo
26-Nov-05, 21:12
I can't see the logic where celebration for one person's hero is seen as a slap in the face for another's.

I don't think thats what she's saying. I could be wrong but I interpreted it as feeling angry that the death of a footballer warrants more of a mention than a person that has died on the front line for his country. No matter what a hero people claim Best is, and I won't take that away from you, the real heros are the ones risking their necks for us.

scorrie
26-Nov-05, 21:16
Serial womaniser? - maybe - but the women were presumably quite willing? They threw themselves at hin everywhere he turned. What man or woman fro that matter wouldn't be flattered?! Why blame him particularly? seems a very one-sided (and if I might say somewhat bitter) view. I agree absolutely that one should respect others who have had to work harder with fewer talents, that goes without saying, but personally I think that it's naive to judge his kind or personality so harshly, we have to try and see the whole picture, think laterally, tolerantly, and not react so emotionally.

So the waitress whom George Best was done for causing Actual Bodily Harm to had it coming to her then? Likewise his wife Alex, who received a good hammering from the twinkle-toed genius? Equally, every car that George got caught drink-driving in was to blame, as the poor soul was only masking some inner problem with a litre of Brandy.

Why blame George particularly? Err, the post asks for opinions about George Best and no-one else!!

I am looking at the whole picture and see people who are willing to forgive George Best because he was gifted with the ability to propel an inflated leather sphere around a football field. I will remember a man who never bothered working at anything because he had natural talent. His career was cut terribly short, he was unreliable as a partner and a father for most of his life. He abused himself but more importantly made a mockery of a second chance, gifted by someone else's demise, at the expense of others who would almost certainly have appreciated it more. Basically George liked to extend the middle finger to everyone bar himself.

Excuse me if I do not feel the need to queue up to sign any book of condolence.

porshiepoo
26-Nov-05, 21:19
Good on ya Scorrie, I was beginning to think I was the only one feeling that way. You have a much better way of explaining why you feel the way you do than I have but thats pretty much the gyst of it!

Astra
26-Nov-05, 21:27
So true scorrie. He had a second chance at life and blew it .

scorrie
26-Nov-05, 21:30

Well, Adolph Hitler is a Hero to some people. It all boils down to whether you think someone is truly worthy of Hero status.

The world is full of Icons, who are often considered to be Heroes but when you scratch beneath the surface you will usually find an altogether more fragile and often unpleasant character. People such as John Wayne, Groucho Marx, Elvis Presley etc all look a little less like Heroes in the cold light of what they actually did with their lives and I don't think that because someone had a talent it makes it all right for them to go through life with no consideration for those around them. People let go of a lot of things as they mature in life but Heroes and Religion always seem to remain as the teat that mankind likes to suckle from for comfort.

Santa Lives!! RIP George

lorraine_2406
26-Nov-05, 21:34
[QUOTE=porshiepoo]Have to agree with you there lorraine, it's sad when a drunken footballer gets more of a mention and respect than the men and women who are protecting this country.
My sympathies go out to all the friends and family of the killed soldier :(

Good luck to you and your husband. Stay safe!
Please send your husband and all the dessert rats my deepest respect for what they do. It's something I admit I would never have the courage to do myself![/QUOTE Thankyou for your kind reply i really appreciate what you said its people like yourself that really make us feel important and lets us know all the soldiers in iraq and all over the world will never be forgotton for what they do

Sandra
26-Nov-05, 21:51
I also agree that it's sad when a celebrity gets more of a mention and respect than the men and women who are protecting this country, or who are carrying out other worthwhile and important jobs, and it really brings things into perspective when you talk about things going on in ‘real life’.

I think that we all appreciate what people do in ‘real life’, and would never disrespect them or what they do. Just because we don’t talk about them doesn’t mean they are not important or that we don’t care.

Maybe we should start a new thread to discuss such things and keep this one for the reason it was started:

To discuss George Best, one person who just happens to have made an impact on many hundreds/thousands of people around the world, for one reason - his legendary footballing talents.

Rheghead
26-Nov-05, 21:55
Well, Adolph Hitler is a Hero to some people. It all boils down to whether you think someone is truly worthy of Hero status.

It is sad when folk resort to extremes to prove point.

Drutt
26-Nov-05, 22:15
Well, Adolph Hitler is a Hero to some people.

Oops, you lose! And you were doing so well until then, scorrie.

willowbankbear
26-Nov-05, 23:03
As a Footballer George had no peers ,He was that good a player. Even the Greatest, Pele,who reckons it was an absolute sin that Bestie couldna play in the world cup,rated George "Simply the Best" .
Who are we to argue? Look at the Lifestyle he had BEFORE he took to the drink, models ,fast cars, playing football and gettin payed for it AND scoring then winning the European cup-Brilliant!!!
But once the drink took a hold he was a wife beater serial adulterer & an alcoholic, but people who knew him Loved him, so did millions who didnt.
He was a guy id loved to have met but didnt im afraid. Lucky guy earlier in this thread did tho .
George Best . Simply the Best R.I.P

scorrie
27-Nov-05, 00:12
Oops, you lose! And you were doing so well until then, scorrie.

I wasn't aware it was a contest. I am merely expressing my opinion. Where do you draw the line between who is worthy of Hero worship and who is not? One man's Hero is another man's pariah.

Blaming the drink simply does not wash. George Best had the time and, more importantly, the opportunity to grow up and leave the immature star behind and grasp hold of the fact that he was a mere mortal who should seek the things in life that matter more. Supermodels, fast cars etc are all the ambitions of either the immature in age or in mind. If George had the wit some people think he possessed then he should have been able to be more than the broken down footballer propping up a bar that he was for many more years than he was a top class player.

Drutt
27-Nov-05, 00:24
I wasn't aware it was a contest. I am merely expressing my opinion. Where do you draw the line between who is worthy of Hero worship and who is not? One man's Hero is another man's pariah.

I'd been referring to Godwin's law - that is, that whoever brings Hitler or the Nazis into an argument is deemed to have lost the argument.

For what it's worth, I won't be crying into my drink over George Best. 'Tis a crying shame that he was given a second chance and squandered it. It angers me that someone else could have had that donated liver and lived a full life.

Rheghead
27-Nov-05, 00:25
If George had the wit some people think he possessed then he should have been able to be more than the broken down footballer propping up a bar that he was for many more years than he was a top class player.

I bet he was a good craic though...

gleeber
27-Nov-05, 01:15
I widna try and defend George Bests behaviour against his knockers on caithness.org. Good for them for telling how it feels for them.
Soldiers getting killed in Iraq is tragic but should we cancel life and its web of craziness because of that?
Someones child died yesterday and someones mother and someones friend and some day I will die but I dont expect to get a mention on the news.
Life goes on. I felt sad when Best died because he was something I helped create. He was a creation of the human race. Thats what we do. We create myths and legends and what we are creating is a little bit of ourselves. Thats what happened for me when he died. A little bit of me died with him. Thats why I felt sad.

Jeid
27-Nov-05, 01:52
God, i've just trawled through this post. Its about time a moderator stepped in here.

Porshiepoo, in my opinion, your being disrespectful to a footballing legend. Thats what he is. Your dragging his name through mud for his pitfalls.... I bet your life is hardly a bed of roses. I'm sure when you die, you'd rather be remembered for the good you achieved in your life, not any bad that may have sprung up. If you have nothing nice to say about someone many people respect, then its best if you keep it to yourself. Yes, this is a DISCUSSION board.... NOT A DEBATING board, but seriously, think about how you post. I've read lots of your posts, and each time i've really wanted to react as i think what you write is drivel. Its your opinion, fair do's, stop trying to impose it on everyone.

Naefearjustbeer, your being just as childish by continuing to argue her points. As you can see, this topic has turned pretty much into a 5 page arguement about how great/not great a person George Best was. the man just died. let him rest in peace.

scotsboy
27-Nov-05, 08:06
Porshiepoo wrote:
I in return have posted my opinion that I have more compassion for the family
and
Have to agree with you there lorraine, it's sad when a drunken footballer gets more of a mention and respect than the men and women who are protecting this country.

I am sure those words will mean a lot to his family.

I personally do not see the contradiction between the life of George Best and the life of a soldier killed in action. Respect is given to all of the armed forces, every year, have we not all been wearing poppies? The difference between the amount of news time allocated to George Best as opposed to a soldier killed by a roadside bomb is the fact that George Best was known to millions, whether you like that or not it is fact.

An argument could be made that the death of George Best which is considered as the result of his own actions is similar to a soldier who signs up knowing the risks and that he is placing himself in danger, whether this is a selfless act or not – he (like George Best) knew the risks.

I also disagree that our troops are in Iraq to protect us – anyone who thinks this is seriously deluded. However those that are there get my 100% support for the job they are doing……..whether I agree with the war or not.

Naefearjustbeer
27-Nov-05, 08:17
God, i've just trawled through this post. Its about time a moderator stepped in here.

Porshiepoo, in my opinion, your being disrespectful to a footballing legend. Thats what he is. Your dragging his name through mud for his pitfalls.... I bet your life is hardly a bed of roses. I'm sure when you die, you'd rather be remembered for the good you achieved in your life, not any bad that may have sprung up. If you have nothing nice to say about someone many people respect, then its best if you keep it to yourself. Yes, this is a DISCUSSION board.... NOT A DEBATING board, but seriously, think about how you post. I've read lots of your posts, and each time i've really wanted to react as i think what you write is drivel. Its your opinion, fair do's, stop trying to impose it on everyone.

Naefearjustbeer, your being just as childish by continuing to argue her points. As you can see, this topic has turned pretty much into a 5 page arguement about how great/not great a person George Best was. the man just died. let him rest in peace.

Well said,

Rheghead
27-Nov-05, 10:26
My only criticism of George was that he squandered his second chance at life not his lust for life. George lived life to the full while he could, if I could have had his life then I probably would have taken it :)

Winston Churchill was also an alcoholic, drug addict, womaniser and even had a fling with Ivor Novello but still came out tops as the greatest Briton ever.

May be it's because people like George and Winston epitomise what is best and what is worst in all of us that makes them great.

gleeber
27-Nov-05, 11:31
Winston Churchill was also an alcoholic, drug addict, womaniser and even had a fling with Ivor Novello but still came out tops as the greatest Briton ever.

Sources?
I know many people who drink too much who are not alcoholic. I know many people who take drugs but are not addicts. I know many people who have flings but are not womanisers. Where did this Ivor Novello thing come from?

paris
27-Nov-05, 11:46
OK so now youve all had your say on the matter,im going to add mine.
RIP george, hope you have many a laugh up there doing what you do best,
you will be missed by thousands and talked about for years. you made many a lad, young and old happy at what you did playing footie, and many women very happy running around that pitch in your shorts. Its a shame you took to the bottle ,but i surpose thats a fact of life . you wont be the first or the last. Anyway now`s a time to reflect on your life, only you know why and when and how you went wrong.enjoy your new life george and have fun !!
god bless , see you on the "other side".

Rheghead
27-Nov-05, 11:49
Where did this Ivor Novello thing come from?

oops, wrong Winston Churchill this time so I will retract that. :)

scorrie
27-Nov-05, 13:14
I'd been referring to Godwin's law - that is, that whoever brings Hitler or the Nazis into an argument is deemed to have lost the argument.

For what it's worth, I won't be crying into my drink over George Best. 'Tis a crying shame that he was given a second chance and squandered it. It angers me that someone else could have had that donated liver and lived a full life.

Godwin? Is that the guy who was in the Comedians in the 70's? Used to laugh at his jokes before he told them? Maybe just as well as the audience never seemed to. Actually I think his name was Goodwin, close though.

I picked Hitler as he was reasonably topical, I recently saw an article about a couple of young girls who idolise Hitler. The girls wear t-shirts complete with the yellow smily faces which have a little Hitler moustache. Maybe if Hitler had been a "Tanner Ba" footballer then their stance might sit more easily with the world.

Drutt
27-Nov-05, 13:19
Godwin? Is that the guy who was in the Comedians in the 70's?

Before my time, I'm afraid.

I was referring to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law).

scorrie
27-Nov-05, 13:26

Why? If a moderator needs to step in here, then every newspaper in the land will need to be issued with a gagging order. The papers are printing their opinions based on the life George Best led. You will find that the sports pages are largely waxing on about George's ability, while the features in the front of the paper focus on the way George conducted himself off the field. That is fairly well balanced and that balance is reflected on these pages also, with some willing to forgive George everything because he was skilled and could be dazzling on a football field, while others consider that adulation to be misguided and/or blinkered in view of the contempt George often showed for other, less gifted, individuals.

porshiepoo
27-Nov-05, 13:53

Why? because we don't all agree?

Porshiepoo, in my opinion, your being disrespectful to a footballing legend. Thats what he is.

Thats your opinion and you have a right to it, as I do mine. To me he was never a hero but that doesn't mean I don't understand that he was to many others. You on the other hand, choose to tell people that if they're not idolising him then say nothing.
If you find what I say disrespectful, again thats your opinion. It won't change my views or opinions though.

Your dragging his name through mud for his pitfalls

Come off it he did a really good job of that himself.

.... I bet your life is hardly a bed of roses. I'm sure when you die, you'd rather be remembered for the good you achieved in your life, not any bad that may have sprung up. If you have nothing nice to say about someone many people respect, then its best if you keep it to yourself. Yes, this is a DISCUSSION board.... NOT A DEBATING board, but seriously, think about how you post. I've read lots of your posts, and each time i've really wanted to react as i think what you write is drivel. Its your opinion, fair do's, stop trying to impose it on everyone.

Why the heck should I keep my opinions to myself just because some of you don't agree with them? I'm not saying to you if you don't agree with me shut up!
If, in the future, you feel the need to react to my posts, please feel free to. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, however, should you expect your rantings to make me change my mind and agree with you just because you think I should, then forget it, you'll be wasting your time.

It's not an argument! Some say he's great, some say he's not. We don't all have to agree with you.

scotsboy
27-Nov-05, 13:58
No Porshie - you are the ONLY one saying he was not a great footballer, nobody else has made this statement, only you.

porshiepoo
27-Nov-05, 14:06
No Porshie - you are the ONLY one saying he was not a great footballer, nobody else has made this statement, only you.

But I don't have to say that he was just because you think he was do I?

For me personally, any greatness he may have had as a footballer is far far outweighed by the way he abused his and his family's life.

I just fail to see how anyone can idolise a person who was supposedly great at kicking a ball up and down a field, yet ruined his chance at life and the life of his family.
There are so many people waiting for the second chance that he was given. I would far more respect him if he had taken that chance and turned his life around.
He hid behind alcoholism and used it as a crutch to defend his actions, he took no responsibility for it and as such completely direspected the donor and doctors who gave him that second chance.
To me, that kind of person does not deserve to be the idol of so many easily influenced people.

porshiepoo
27-Nov-05, 14:07
Incidentally, I'd be most interested to hear how many of you knew George Best or his immediate family on a personal level!

gleeber
27-Nov-05, 14:21
Incidentally, I'd be most interested to hear how many of you knew George Best or his immediate family on a personal level!

Why do you ask that question Porshie? Be careful though in case you shoot yourself in the foot with it.
I knew him intimately he was a part of my life. Whats your reasons for condemning him? Tabloid newspapers?

angela5
27-Nov-05, 14:58
Why do you ask that question Porshie? Be careful though in case you shoot yourself in the foot with it.
I knew him intimately he was a part of my life. Whats your reasons for condemning him? Tabloid newspapers?

Notice there was no answer to that then, cat got your tounge??

porshiepoo
27-Nov-05, 15:13
Well actually, I was just interested to hear if any of you knew him that's all.

My opinion of him is based on my conclusions from what I have seen of him and heard of him, both from people who adore him and people who don't.
Based on that I have decided that he didn't do the best he could by himself or his family. I know there are a million people who can claim that and it doesn't make them terrible people but he had a gift (apparantly) and more opportunities to be a better person off the pitch than most alcoholics. He hid behind his drink, using it as an excuse for his failure as a father and a husband, but amazingly was still adored for his skills of kicking a ball.

Growing up with an alcoholic father who is in the public eye is one of the hardest things for a child. For that father to be given chance after chance to rectify his life style just to let everyone down again, just makes it all the harder and sadder.

scotsboy
27-Nov-05, 17:30
So you based your assessment of him as a football player on what?

mareng
28-Nov-05, 00:21
George Best did have a natural talent with a football, and I say that as a non-football lover.

Some people idolise him for that, and others see the effect that alchoholism had on him and his family as being the dominant factor in their opinion of him.

There is no wrong opinion, there is no right opinion - they are merely differing opinions.

Jeid
28-Nov-05, 00:46
I wonder how many more pages of "i don't think he was that great a footballer" we're going to have to put up with?

3 or 4 times i've pretty much read the same post by the same person

lassieinfife
28-Nov-05, 01:37
Have to say i remember George Best more for propping up a bar than playing football.................:o

Chillie
28-Nov-05, 01:42

Now that he has died, with all his bad living but not to mention his great footballing skills will he be an angel or a maggot?

willowbankbear
28-Nov-05, 01:48
Well there s no disputing it because he was the best, simple as that! Porshiepoo,He was, Im a Jimmy Baxter fan but even he would say Best was the Best
Please listen dear, weve lost the original SUPERSTAR this weekend. Look at the reaction his death caused, thats never been seen before ,trust me,
Im not into acting, drama,rally driving,but football i am, and if you can unite the world like Best did this weekend,you must be special......
I dont condone the bad things George did, he did a few, But just think of the presssure a wee boy from Belfast had all his life, How would anyone on this thread cope??????
Im sure you would,many of ye would do just the same & well ye ken it

lassieinfife
28-Nov-05, 13:01
He might have been the best at the time but what would he be like against todays players?

porshiepoo
28-Nov-05, 13:11
Well there s no disputing it because he was the best, simple as that! Porshiepoo,He was, Im a Jimmy Baxter fan but even he would say Best was the Best
Please listen dear, weve lost the original SUPERSTAR this weekend. Look at the reaction his death caused, thats never been seen before ,trust me,
Im not into acting, drama,rally driving,but football i am, and if you can unite the world like Best did this weekend,you must be special......
I dont condone the bad things George did, he did a few, But just think of the presssure a wee boy from Belfast had all his life, How would anyone on this thread cope??????
Im sure you would,many of ye would do just the same & well ye ken it

I respect the fact that thats how you and many others feel, I really do, and I also understand that people have a right to idolise him and grieve for him. Just because it's not the way I feel doesn't make it wrong for the thousands of you that do feel that way about him.
As I said before, as George Best the human being, I hope he's resting in peace.

Chillie, no matter what, he'll always be an angel. His body will be maggot food but his spirit will be with the angels! :)

scotsboy
28-Nov-05, 13:15
lassie in fife wrote
He might have been the best at the time but what would he be like against todays players?

He would go through most of them like a hot knife through butter, he also would not be diving, rolling about feigning injury or trying to get other professionals in trouble.