PDA

View Full Version : Cairn housing

balto
23-May-08, 16:33
OMG am i fuming, we live in a cairn housing property in Thurso, and we have been complaining about the state of our kitchen for months, finally after my oh told them he would take legal action against them they sent their maintanance man round today, now i think he was a shocked they same as us about the state it is in, we have drawers falling apart, cupboards wont stay shut, which with 3 kids isnt very safe what with one of worst ones being our food cupboard now with the summer round the corner and flies and blue bottles will be out in force, the health and safety aspect of it really need to be addressed, cairn have told us they dont have the money to do the kitchens this finnancial year, yet they had 1 milllion pounds to spend in inverness on the houses there and they have the nerve to send us leaflets telling us of all the upgrades that was carried out, whats this just to rub our noses in it, apparently the cairn houses in wick are in a bad state of repair aswell, so i think it is about time the tennents got together and demanded they remember their tennents up here in the far north, sorry for being my sound board.

northener
23-May-08, 16:43
And the Highland Council was actually suprised when the council tenants voted 'no' to handing over the rented housing portfolio.......

Gizmo
23-May-08, 17:01
OMG am i fuming, we live in a cairn housing property in Thurso, and we have been complaining about the state of our kitchen for months, finally after my oh told them he would take legal action against them they sent their maintanance man round today, now i think he was a shocked they same as us about the state it is in, we have drawers falling apart, cupboards wont stay shut, which with 3 kids isnt very safe what with one of worst ones being our food cupboard now with the summer round the corner and flies and blue bottles will be out in force, the health and safety aspect of it really need to be addressed, cairn have told us they dont have the money to do the kitchens this finnancial year, yet they had 1 milllion pounds to spend in inverness on the houses there and they have the nerve to send us leaflets telling us of all the upgrades that was carried out, whats this just to rub our noses in it, apparently the cairn houses in wick are in a bad state of repair aswell, so i think it is about time the tennents got together and demanded they remember their tennents up here in the far north, sorry for being my sound board.

Just tell them that you will not be paying rent for the property until the repairs are done, if the kitchen is as bad as you say then i'm sure the law will be in your favour.

hotrod4
23-May-08, 17:44

I would contact CAB straight away and a solicitor(free consultation for 30 mins, so no charge) before i withheld rent as you are still due by law to pay rent and withholding before legal advice could be ammunition used against you. I would also contact your MP, John thurso is very good. Posting on a public forum is also a good idea:) as it brings it into the public domain and gets people talking, which cant be a good for their image!!!!

I know this wont help but i walked into the council offices and complained about the state of my kitchen as we had no wall cupboards and only a "larder". We had been in the house for 13 years awaiting renovation but nothing was happening. A very nice lady came up to my house 2 days later and agreed with me(last renovation 1970's) and I have just had it finished.
I may have slagged the council off in the past but on this occasion they were spot on and couldnt move fast enough for me, hope someone in Cairn helps you out the same.
Good luck

gofor
23-May-08, 18:52
i live in a cairn housing property in inverness. we were due to get new bathroom suites etc in 2001 but still waiting the only ones getting done down here is the ones they took over 2yrs ago. the last repair done was new doors in 2000

balto
23-May-08, 21:01
i live in a cairn housing property in inverness. we were due to get new bathroom suites etc in 2001 but still waiting the only ones getting done down here is the ones they took over 2yrs ago. the last repair done was new doors in 2000
so where did they spend the million that was on front of their newsletter that they sent us, it apparantly said that they spend 1 million on doing the houses up in inverness, take it that was just more lies.

matelot79
23-May-08, 23:38
I don’t know how long you have been with Cairn, but I can tell you I got a letter a few years ago, which stated that there would be new fitted kitchens etc etc (they actually had Ashley Ann price them all up and someone I know who works for the said company told me that it was quite good gear we were going to get for them being a housing association) but low and behold they had to put new roofs on the flats and that seemed to be the end of that.

poppett
24-May-08, 15:08
Cairn Housing in Inverness moved my brother in law from the family home after his wife went into care to a one bedroom bungalow on the City outskirts. It is not suitable for his medical needs having steep outside steps and no walk in shower. Cairn promised to removate as a matter of urgency in January, but their excuse is still that they have no funding.

Not quite the same thing as the kitchen, but still abuse of the good nature of their tenants.

balto
24-May-08, 16:37
I don’t know how long you have been with Cairn, but I can tell you I got a letter a few years ago, which stated that there would be new fitted kitchens etc etc (they actually had Ashley Ann price them all up and someone I know who works for the said company told me that it was quite good gear we were going to get for them being a housing association) but low and behold they had to put new roofs on the flats and that seemed to be the end of that.
we have been with cairn since they took over from scottish homes, my other half saw the planner and there is nothing planned for houses/flats unto 2012. aye i remember when they put the new roofs on the flats, that was the same year we were ment to be getting new kitchens, but what is so annoying is they but the rent up every year and what for, as we do not see a penny of it come back on our houses/flats, high time cairn got kicked into touch, and took notice of their tennents.

balto
24-May-08, 16:41
Cairn Housing in Inverness moved my brother in law from the family home after his wife went into care to a one bedroom bungalow on the City outskirts. It is not suitable for his medical needs having steep outside steps and no walk in shower. Cairn promised to removate as a matter of urgency in January, but their excuse is still that they have no funding.

Not quite the same thing as the kitchen, but still abuse of the good nature of their tenants.
cairn are full of promises, they let you believe they are on the tennents side, but that really is a load of rubbish, but they are quick enough to take our rent of us. biggest mistake was voteing cairn in once scottish homes left.

balto
31-May-08, 11:30
since i 1st wrote this thread, we have waited for cairn to get back to us, but have heard nothing, when my oh learnt that jamie stone was holding an open clinic last night, he went along to see is jamie stone could help, and thankfully he has said that this is unacceptable, so he is going to write to cairn himself, so this will now have opened up the door for every cairn tennant to have their say about the way they treat their tennants. here's hoping that we will now get somewhere.

badger
31-May-08, 18:23
I was going to suggest sending a question to the next Thurso Ward Forum and attending the meeting en masse to let councillors and community councillors know how you feel but I see that neither Thurso nor Wick are meeting again until September. Usually they meet every two months. Is this a long summer holiday I wonder? Much too late to be of use to you but I suppose you could still write to your local councillors.

grumpy1
31-May-08, 22:50
I hear where yr coming from it so frustrating i live in a cairn house and it in a rare state, i have been in the house five years and we were told when we moved in they would replace the kitchen.. 5 yrs on i still have the same rotton floorboards down and cupboards with shelving that won't hold anything...a heating system which pours out scalding water...a rusty bath and damp in most bedrooms...they sent out a 10 yr plan 2yr ago and that went out the window when they decided to brighten up their flats with new windows and a posh new exterior......
the most annoying thing is i can't afford to move as i have rent arrears caused by them ballsing up a housing benefit claim so im stuck here in my crappy little palace...

gofor
31-May-08, 22:56
we were promised new bathrooms in 2001 ha ha still waiting. i did get a new cold water tank last year only because my one was leaking have been with cairn since they took over from scottish homes.

gofor
31-May-08, 23:01
sorry for repeating myself but they are treat us like ? at times [trying not to swear]

EDDIE
01-Jun-08, 06:53

Its all very well getting together and demanding a better service but u have to watch they might up the rent for everyone to pay for it u have to remember there is a lot of rented accomadtion in the private sector that is mega expensive and if ure rent payment is ok i wouldnt shout to much. Me personally if i was going to be staying there in the long term i would fix it myself u shouldnt have to but thats just the way it is sometimes.

balto
01-Jun-08, 12:10
Its all very well getting together and demanding a better service but u have to watch they might up the rent for everyone to pay for it u have to remember there is a lot of rented accomadtion in the private sector that is mega expensive and if ure rent payment is ok i wouldnt shout to much. Me personally if i was going to be staying there in the long term i would fix it myself u shouldnt have to but thats just the way it is sometimes.
no way, they have put our rent up every year and what for NOTHING if i wanted to do it myself i would buy a house, but while we are paying them rent it is up to them to sort the problem not us, just hope evey cairn tennant in thurso and wick, get on to them now and demand they do something.

matelot79
02-Jun-08, 02:01
Do you not still have the right to buy, So you could do a lot, the same as me.

balto
10-Jul-08, 15:20
well just thought i would let you know the latest development on our kitchen sga, the planning manager came to see us last night, and after a lot of hassle form my other half, he agreed that yes we did need a new kitchen, he couldnt give us a date, but it would be as soon as he could get it arranged, we pointed out tht if you are bad neighbour or in arrears with your rent then you get what you want, and tennets like us who are in credit with rent get treated like dirt.

just hope we dont get our new house before it gets fitted as i would like to get some use out of new kitchen, he ws going round to inspect the rest of the kitchens in thurso today, it will be interesting to see what happens there.

binbob
10-Jul-08, 16:10

my feelings exactly...if u do not like it..then do at least try to make it as good as u can afford.but also make sure u still get the help to sort it out from cairn..

purplelady
10-Jul-08, 23:27
Just tell them that you will not be paying rent for the property until the repairs are done, if the kitchen is as bad as you say then i'm sure the law will be in your favour.
had a pal who did that when i lived in england tell you she soon got things sorted .

balto
11-Jul-08, 09:15
we said this to the planning manager and he didnt say anything back, all it needed was for him to be told that we needed a new on, we have our cutlery drawer taped with black tape, but it still falls of, last week my daughters social work was up seeing her and through comes our 2 year old son with 2 big knives, because he can get in the drawer, she said that if we wanted she would speak to them to say what she had witnessed.

Daisy
11-Jul-08, 16:45
I lived in a cairn property afew years ago and had exactly the same problems. Our kitchen only got sorted after we stopped paying the rent. But I have to stress that was only after a lot of letter writing and seeking legal advise. Check your tenancy agreement because the have to live up to that aswell. I cant remember exactly but there will be something about keeping things in a good state of repair or Health and safety.

balto
11-Jul-08, 16:58
I lived in a cairn property afew years ago and had exactly the same problems. Our kitchen only got sorted after we stopped paying the rent. But I have to stress that was only after a lot of letter writing and seeking legal advise. Check your tenancy agreement because the have to live up to that aswell. I cant remember exactly but there will be something about keeping things in a good state of repair or Health and safety.a lot of hassle and nagging from my other half got us our new kitchen, we have got howdens coming up next friday to measure up, didnt think it would be so quick.