PDA

View Full Version : Living in Science Fiction Dreamtime

Tilter
23-May-08, 00:42
I've just been reading rs2k's "How Times Have Changed" thread and it got me to thinking in reverse - how we once could only imagine what now is. Two examples:

(1) When I got my first car a million years ago I'd drive around a strange town for hours totally lost and frustrated. I used to have this fantasy that all the road signs would suddenly say "Tilter, go down here" and then "Tilter, go left" etc. See what I'm saying? Now the Tom-tom wifie will do that for me. So my fantasy is real now though it's not quite the way I imagined it.

(2) You really really fancied some boy you'd met, but in another (unfamiliar) town maybe. He arranged to meet you outside the pictures of said town one night. Yippee. You went. He never showed up. Possibilities could include (a) he stood you up - despair, (b) his granny died or (c) he missed the bus. You would never know the possibly life-altering options here. You had no phone at home so you never saw him again. Wouldn't it be lovely, you thought, if an improvement on tin cans and string in the telecoms dept. could be made.......... some little hand-held phone thing you could walk around with.

Any one else have any Sci-Fi fantasies come true out there?

joxville
23-May-08, 01:18
People with those damn walkmans, wishing that someone would invent something better-thankfully replaced by nanopods-only problem now is talking to someone that has the plugs in their lugs and then you've got to repeat yourself a bit louder.

Tilter
23-May-08, 01:30
People with those damn walkmans, wishing that someone would invent something better-thankfully replaced by nanopods-only problem now is talking to someone that has the plugs in their lugs and then you've got to repeat yourself a bit louder.

Oh absolutely. But I'd like to take some scissors to the ipod strings attached to the geriatric hip-hop listening wearer of same that I live with.