PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Sheep

boreray
22-May-08, 23:30
We are new to keeping sheep and I was just wondering if anyone out there knows if there are any 1 or 2 day sheep keeping courses in the area for newbies like ourselves or a person in the know that could offer some advice.

We have read all the books etc but this can only help so much.

Many thanks

joxville
23-May-08, 00:48
Obviously you don't want the wool pulled over your eye's so just be careful you don't get fleeced.:D

Seriously though, ask a local sheep-farmer if you can spend a couple of days with him/her for hands on experience of animal husbandry.

Aaldtimer
23-May-08, 02:42
You might be interested to read Alisdair's postings on this thread.
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=48072 :~(

sweetpea
23-May-08, 02:43
There was a lady in Spittal that did 'Rural Training' at one time. I'll PM you when I get the number:)
I envy you, if I could I'd have a few.

johndh
23-May-08, 08:04

Many thanks

Very true, sounds like the only way forward is to do it. I got my first ewes not so long back. I liaised with the vet about vaccinations etc. and did every thing myself, injections, the lot. (apart from a helping hand from a neighbour to catch our ram). We have not done any lambing this year, but next year will will. It think its a good idea to help out on a local farm, particularly with lambing. Probably better than going on a course.

I'm willing to help if I can, but I'm relatively new as well.

Boozeburglar
23-May-08, 09:44
I don't feel it is ethical to take on board the care of sheep without having direct access to someone who is experienced, i.e. a willing family member, neighbour, etc.

Crofting skills have been acquired over many generations. People seem to think it is simple to rear animals in the Caithness climate, far from it.

A great deal of unnecessary suffering can be imposed on the animals in the hands of the inexperienced.

I suggest anyone lambing their own should have expertise on tap.

Alasdair
23-May-08, 10:39
The comments by Boozeburglar are quite correct. Real knowledge of what is required to look after sheep properly is acquired over a lifetime and, even then, one is still learning. Take advice from a Caithness sheep farmer who has done it all his life, if you can find one.

boreray
23-May-08, 17:31
Boozeburglar I note your comments and agree with them fully hence we have not lambed this year.

This is a project which we have fully considered and researched.

We have expert help as and when needed so the welfare of the sheep is not a question.

Expertise and knowledge has to be attained from somewhere or else it's lost and this was the purpose of this thread to try and further our own knowledge from experienced people in the area so that we can someday pass on that advice to others.

Cattach
23-May-08, 18:15
We are new to keeping sheep and I was just wondering if anyone out there knows if there are any 1 or 2 day sheep keeping courses in the area for newbies like ourselves or a person in the know that could offer some advice.

Many thanks

Seems to me it was very foolhardy and indeed a little irresponsible to start sheep farming without have done courses you ak about. If you felt the need to ask such a question in this location you must be very unsure of yourself on this issue and it is maybe the wrong place to be looking for help. I have some experience of sheep (being an Aberdeen FC supporter) and farming but would not embark upon such a project without a lot more practical experience.

Kevin Milkins
23-May-08, 18:34

Many thanks

Hi boreay
I am sure that you will be very able and capable of developing your stockmanship over a period of time. Animals and sheep in paticular can be testing at times but dont be kidded on its rocket science.The fact you have asked for advice would suggest to me that you are responsible people , but I would guess by now you wish you had not. Good luck with your venture and hope you will get lots of enjoyment out of it.

boreray
23-May-08, 18:42
I certainly won't bother again. People seem to be making wild assumptions about what I do and do not know. All I was trying to do was increase my knowledge. I thought that this was a good thing to do.

tracy x
23-May-08, 19:31
can i just clear a few things up.

i am the partner of this kind hearted guy who is asking a genuine question.

for those that are concerned - i was a vet assistant and regular volunteer for the RSPCA for many years before moving to Caithness so have seen a great deal of things etc etc.
we did not just move up here and purchase any old sheep and embark on something we had no clue about and we do not take on animals without knowing we can afford to keep them in more than adequate conditions.
we carefully researched the breed we keep, looked and purchased a small flock from a lovely guy who still supports us now with any questions we may have.

my partner left a message on what so far has seemed an incredibly friendly and helpful forum - a request for any FURTHER knowledge, hints or tips - a chance for many to see and share any comments left.
however many animals you own and for however long, nobody is an expert without more to learn - anyone who thinks that they know it all should really take a long hard look at themselves.

i am astounded that some of you have assumed from that small message that we are not capable of keeping our sheep in a healthy condition - i guess some folk think that sheep farming advice should be kept as a secret for special members only!!

everyone embarking on running a croft has to start somewhere - if you are not lucky enough to have been born in to the crofting life then you start at the beginning and learn as you go along - you then pass on any knowledge to others - this is called "being nice" and will ensure that the correct way to farm is never lost.

perhaps before making wild assumptions that someone is not caring for their animals correctly take a moment to consider peoples feelings - we are treating our animals with great respect - they are a rare breed which we intend to expand numbers slowly and sensibly so that they are around for future generations - we have not filled a field with sheep that will go to slaughter.

and to end - if anyone is concerned about the welfare of our sheep then feel free to send me a personal message and come and see the flock for yourself.

it is such a shame that this forum cannot be used for friendly advice - we will not make the same mistake again.

tracy x
23-May-08, 19:34
forgot to say ......
thank you so much for all the personal messages sent and offers of advice and help - will will forward on all that we learn to anyone else who dares to ask x

silverfox57
23-May-08, 20:04
tracy I wish you all the best in your crofting life,as now nothing about looking after sheep,am not able to any advise,and hope you get all the help from farmers in your area,caithness farmers are very helpful as am sure you will find.

Tighsonas4
23-May-08, 20:27
SHEEP FARMING
for heavens sake these people are not starting a sheep farm in australia
how sheep on hill farms survive lambing clipping and dipping then.any
problems and the vet is more than handy
seems to me there going to no end of trouble to keep a few ewes good luck and hope you have a good lambing next year regards tony

nicnak
23-May-08, 20:37
May i add to the messages above, I know Tracy and Boreray personally and count myself lucky to have them as friends, they, I can add have a wealth of knowledge on all aspects of animal husbandry and I would help them myself if i was more experienced in sheep keeping unfortunately my animal expertise lies with horses and cattle, and I can only applaud them in their willingness to learn more about the sheep and feel highly disappointed at some of the comments posted on this subject and a little ashamed at this point to think that these posters are fellower orgers!

percy toboggan
23-May-08, 20:53
In the same position I'd consider hiring a local shepherd, crofter or sheep owner for half a day - with hearty breakfast and lunch provided the info you could glean informally over the table plus some hands on instruction would mean money well spent. You might even make a friend....especially if you impart with a three figure sum.

It doesn't matter that you're taking on sheep without knowing all the inns and outs....I'm sure the sheep are glad of a caring owner and enough to eat...after all they are sheep, and should not be confused for bipeds with yooman rights.

I'm all for animal welfare but lets not get silly about it eh?

scorrie
23-May-08, 21:46
Animals and sheep in paticular can be testing at times but dont be kidded on its rocket science.

Well said. The way some people are going on here, you would think it was Unicorns that we were talking about instead of sheep.

If I could offer my own sound advice to boreray it would be this:-

Don't keep your sheep in a loch, dry land is preferable. Never place your sheep feed in the middle of the main road. When pegging up a fleece to dry, please remove the sheep first. Finally, if any problems arise, always resist the temptation to strip to the waist, soap your arm up to the shoulder and wade in blindly, shouting "Ee up Mister 'Erriot"

Good luck.

SunnyChick
24-May-08, 21:06
Hi there,

Good luck with crofitng, hope you get off to a good start!

Might be worth contacting the SAC (Scottish Agricultural College). Or if not, then maybe someone in "the department" might be able to point you in the right direction, and make sure you meet current biosecurity rules and regs, etc. Thurso - 893104.

Boozeburglar
24-May-08, 23:53
I should have been more clear. I was making a general point, not one based on the poster of this thread. Sometimes words come out wrong.

I am sure that the poster is one of the more sensible types, I was thinking about lots of other sorts I met over the years!

:)