PDA

View Full Version : Not a Football Fan

Kevin Milkins
21-May-08, 23:55
I am not a football fan, however I did watch the cup final tonight.
I played rugby for a number of years and although I have always known that the culture between the two games are different I did not realise how different untill tonight.
The overall package was thrilling with the ocation and raz a ma taz made it all entertaining.
The bits I struggled to come to terms with is the slight hint of contact and a player took a dive and rolled about like a stuck pig with death certain to follow. After loads of fussing and yellow cards being dished out , or not as the case may be the seriously injured player is running about like a startled Gazelle. Also the abuse a ref has to put up with is just a joke. If a ref makes a desicion ,right or wrong he is not going to change it so why get in his face. These over paid players are roll models for our youth and it worries me slightly. In rugby the ref is known and refeard to as sir and any lip about a desition you are marched back 10 yards. I think football could learn a little from rugby. Please feel free to agree or disagree.
Once again I make no appoligies for my poor spelling.

Rheghead
22-May-08, 00:10
The cup final was a non-event tonight, as a semi-Man City supporter, I went to Mary Legg's Drumhollistan Ranger watch to see the puffins, in preference to the football, only to see that only 3 pairs had returned to Caithness this year and nobody had turned up to see the puffins. How environmentally sad is that? With respect to European football, neither team really deserved to win. In the first half it was all MU but CFC got a justly deserved goal. In the second half and extra time it was mostly CRC that got the rub of the green. CFC hitting the woodwork on 3+ times. Mediochere football, hopefully good support across Moscow will be seen. Basically I couldn't give two monkeys who won.........................but at least they were English......which other nation could match that expectation? I was quite glad that MU won it on the 50th anniversary of the Munich disaster but their footballling capability had little to do with their triumph tonight.

Kevin Milkins
22-May-08, 00:28
Thanks for your input rheghead, and you are obviously well versed in football matters.
The point I was trying to make and hoped for other points of view on is football without a doubt is a very high profile sport.
I think over payed players believe they are bigger than the game.
Its ok to cheat as long as you can get away with it.
Success is more important than the concept of sport.
Is it good for our youth to be expossed to this kind of thinking?
I hope this thread does not get moved to the sport department as it is not just about football , but right and wrong.

Metalattakk
22-May-08, 01:54
Basically I couldn't give two monkeys who won.........................but at least they were English......which other nation could match that expectation?

Italy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_UEFA_Champions_League_Final), in 2002/03, and Spain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_UEFA_Champions_League_Final) in 1999/2000.

I was quite glad that MU won it on the 50th anniversary of the Munich disaster but their footballling capability had little to do with their triumph tonight.

Was most impressed with Bobby Charlton, refusing to accept the winner's medal from Platini. He obviously thought he didn't deserve it (and rightly so). Complete opposite to Peter Kenyon, it must be noted.

I think over payed players believe they are bigger than the game.Kevin, this is undoubtedly so.

Its ok to cheat as long as you can get away with it.As in life, in sport also.

Success is more important than the concept of sport.Indeed. Sponsor's expectations have to be met, you know. Money rules in the modern SKY Sports dominated game.

shuggy
22-May-08, 06:26
Was most impressed with Bobby Charlton, refusing to accept the winner's medal from Platini.

Gotta agree. A good decision from the legend.

Venture
22-May-08, 08:20
I would have liked to see Chelsea win and on the night I think they deserved it more than Man Utd. There's always a bit of luck creeps in to these huge occasions and its not always a case of the best team wins. Who could not have felt for John Terry when he missed that penalty? The scenes after the game were hard to watch. Alex Ferguson was determined to bring the trophy back to Manchester in memory of those involved in the Munich disaster and it was good to see Sir Bobby Charlton involved in the medal ceremony. A great end to Manchester United's season and a cruel one for Chelsea.

Blondie
22-May-08, 08:26
Who could not have felt for John Terry when he missed that penalty?

erm ......................... ME!

Rheghead
22-May-08, 08:38
Was most impressed with Bobby Charlton, refusing to accept the winner's medal from Platini. He obviously thought he didn't deserve it (and rightly so). Complete opposite to Peter Kenyon, it must be noted.

You must have watched another football match than me because Bobby Charlton accepted a medal from Platini and walked off with it.

Venture
22-May-08, 08:46
erm ......................... ME!

Understandable...if you're a Man Utd fan.;)

cd1977
22-May-08, 09:47
Absolutely delighted for Fergie. A true legend and will go down as the greatest manager in the history of football thus far. Scenes reminiscent of Gothenburg at the end with the pouring rain.

I dont care for Man Utd or Chelsea as clubs and would have had no preference on the winners were it not for the presence of Sir Alex.

Go on Fergie :cool:

Metalattakk
22-May-08, 10:27
You must have watched another football match than me because Bobby Charlton accepted a medal from Platini and walked off with it.

Stop nit-picking Rheg, you know as well as I do that he reluctantly carried it off in his hand, after making a determined effort to dissuade Platini from placing it over his head.

scorrie
22-May-08, 11:18
Basically I couldn't give two monkeys who won.........................but at least they were English.....

English?

One team is owned by a Russian and the other by an American, both teams are crammed with overseas players.

I admire Bobby for not letting the medal be placed around his neck but was disappointed to see him list it on eBay 15 minutes later ;)

TBH
22-May-08, 11:34
Absolutely delighted for Fergie. A true legend and will go down as the greatest manager in the history of football thus far.

Go on Fergie :cool:Are you forgetting about Bob Paisley, the man that helped liverpool win 3 European cups, six League Titles, one UEFA Cup and three League Cups, five Community Shields and a European Super Cup?

YummyMummy
22-May-08, 11:34
I am not a football fan, however I did watch the cup final tonight.
I played rugby for a number of years and although I have always known that the culture between the two games are different I did not realise how different untill tonight.
The overall package was thrilling with the ocation and raz a ma taz made it all entertaining.
The bits I struggled to come to terms with is the slight hint of contact and a player took a dive and rolled about like a stuck pig with death certain to follow. After loads of fussing and yellow cards being dished out , or not as the case may be the seriously injured player is running about like a startled Gazelle. Also the abuse a ref has to put up with is just a joke. If a ref makes a desicion ,right or wrong he is not going to change it so why get in his face. These over paid players are roll models for our youth and it worries me slightly. In rugby the ref is known and refeard to as sir and any lip about a desition you are marched back 10 yards. I think football could learn a little from rugby. Please feel free to agree or disagree.
Once again I make no appoligies for my poor spelling.

My husband is an ardent Chelsea supporter, so we'll say no more about the score other than we're still reeling from the stress of the penalties.....

Couldn't agree more with the point you are making Kevin - we laughed all the way through about the theatrics on the pitch and made the comment at the time about the difference between rugby and football:lol:

Well done Man United though - well deserved for Sir Alex

cd1977
22-May-08, 11:48
Bob Paisley, Jock Stein, Bill Shankly, Bill Nicholson, Alf Ramsey.

All of their achievements pale in comparison to Fergie. He has achieved greatness with more than one team, in more than one country.

He's the greatest, without a shadow of a doubt.

TBH
22-May-08, 12:31
Bob Paisley, Jock Stein, Bill Shankly, Bill Nicholson, Alf Ramsey.

All of their achievements pale in comparison to Fergie. He has achieved greatness with more than one team, in more than one country.

He's the greatest, without a shadow of a doubt.I don't doubt Ferguson is a good manager but in my opinion, not the best.
Jock Stein's, bob paisley's and Brian Clough's achievements are far superior through their circumstances than Ferguson's.

Metalattakk
22-May-08, 12:36
I don't doubt Ferguson is a good manager but in my opinion, not the best.

And none of them can hold a candle to Valery Lobanovsky, Guy Roux or Rinus Michels.

Jock Stein's, bob paisley's and Brian Clough's achievements are far superior through their circumstances than Ferguson's.

Agreed, although I don't class 'achievements' as a measure of quality.

TBH
22-May-08, 12:42
And none of them can hold a candle to Valery Lobanovsky, Guy Roux or Rinus Michels.Rinus Michels is definitely the best there has been.

Agreed, although I don't class 'achievements' as a measure of quality.I would say that the achievement of celtic in winning the European Cup with a team composed of Scots all within the glasgow area, had a lot to do with the quality of those players and the tactical nouse of Jock Stein.

Metalattakk
22-May-08, 12:49
Agreed, although you can't say Jock Stein was a 'better' manager than say, John Lambie, for instance.

cd1977
22-May-08, 13:03
Brian Clough finished a broken man. I think Peter Taylor played a huge part in his success, although his ego would never let him admit it. He ranks nowhere near Fergie, either as a man or as a football manager.

None of the names mentioned come close to Ferguson. His achievements will never be matched.

Football has changed a lot in the last thirty years. Fergie has not.

silverfox57
22-May-08, 13:13
kevin as you thread was not about football,but sport threads seems to always get back to football,as not a football fan, have always said the team a support,is my family,each to there on,but to watch children on tv in desperate need,sort of puts life in perceptive

Kevin Milkins
22-May-08, 16:10
What is unacceptable?

I know its great to have a debate about the best manager ever or the best team ever, but the idea of this thread was to debate right from wrong.
If I worked on a supermarket checkout and stole £5 per shift, that would be clearly wrong and unacceptable behaviour.
If I was caught stealing £5 I would probably be sacked and maybe taken to court and my name would be in the local paper and people would point me out in the street or pub as a thief.
The point I am trying to make is, a high profile footballer can seek to deceive by taking a dive and getting a penalty for which may decide the outcome of a very important game.
Winning or loosing that game could have big financial implications to either side.
So the question is a simple one, Why is ok to seek to deceive in front of millions of people and on camera with no redress?
Through sport at this level we are teaching the next generation its ok to be a cheat.