PDA

View Full Version : Sorry

Tugmistress
24-Nov-05, 16:12
weather station back up.... dedris flying in the wind had taken out the main cable, had problems getting it to run wireless but doing so now so it is back up if you are interested :D

if anyone reading this is a BT engineer... fancy making me a cable? ;)

unicorn
25-Nov-05, 08:41
whats the highest wind speed overnight?????

Tugmistress
25-Nov-05, 09:16
whats the highest wind speed overnight?????

48.7mph at 06.30am is the highest here since midnight
&
Wick side has had gusts of up to 69mph

unicorn
25-Nov-05, 09:18
Thanks for that :) sounded faster in spring park

Tugmistress
25-Nov-05, 09:19
Thanks for that :) sounded faster in spring park

it may well be up to about 10mph faster over there, i am slightly sheltered by the hill behind me whereas you will be open to the bay i think?

kas
25-Nov-05, 09:22
Sorry Tugnistress but it seems much faster down on the brae. We have lost our House sign and we keep having to go and tie down our shed.
Moray Firth reporting of gusts of 120mph recorded in Caithness. Dounreay measuring 90mph.

unicorn
25-Nov-05, 09:27
Bloomin heck my windows are being pressure washed with rain!!

Tugmistress
25-Nov-05, 09:28
Hi Kas,
quite probably right too :) it will be gusting at higher speeds in the more exposed higher areas or like dounreay where they have no obstructions in the line of the wind, as in my comment about the wind coming off the bay in thurso itself whereas i have the whole of holborn head to act as a shield when the wind is in this direction. it's good to know how much of a difference the slightest obstruction causes :)

lol@ unicorn, i have been listening to the 'mexican wave' of tiles on the roof :)

unicorn
25-Nov-05, 09:30
Well I'm at the top of spring park and it is battering us here. Not going over the doorstep today no way!

Tugmistress
25-Nov-05, 09:32
i am still having trouble with my geography of the town, i assume you must be wide open with north being in front of you?

unicorn
25-Nov-05, 09:37
yup pretty much so, we look over Thurso and are pretty exposed

kas
25-Nov-05, 09:49
Have heard Mount Pleasant, Thuro college and Frasers supermarket have all suffered Structural damage.
But not sure how much

unicorn
25-Nov-05, 09:56
my daughter has just said mum does that mean no school on monday??? kids eh!

neepnipper
25-Nov-05, 09:59
When is the wind going to ease? I'm sat in my static caravan rocking and rolling, moving in to my house next week but I can see the tiles lifting on the roof! Ahhhh!!

unicorn
25-Nov-05, 10:01
OMG neepnipper that sounds reallly scary!!! keep safe :)

krieve
25-Nov-05, 10:04
poor you neepnipper have nowhere safer you could go but i guess you would want to keep an eye on your house .

Tugmistress
25-Nov-05, 10:41
not going to really ease off properly until tomorrow, the worst point i think will be tea time tonight.
sorry for the delay in replying, i braved it and went down town :eek:

wicker
25-Nov-05, 12:07
Hope it doesnt get too much windier i have to drive back home to wick later from thurso

DrSzin
25-Nov-05, 12:16
Wind, what wind? There's hardly a breath of it here in Szinszinatti. But the snow started a couple of hours ago, and it's coming down in bucketloads.

Moonboots
25-Nov-05, 12:47
At least we are missingthe snow just now.
Where I am. We are getting foam showers....lol
The foam coming from the sea is making quite a mess of everything.
And my bloody sky dish has moved!!!!

Tugmistress
25-Nov-05, 12:50
going to go take some piccies, the sea is amazing, i love it. there's nothing better than mother nature in her fury :D

unicorn
25-Nov-05, 13:39
Tugmistress you are either mental or devoted I am not sure which!!! lol its freezing out there and you are going to take pics????? loopy lol :)

nospe
25-Nov-05, 15:36
Good luck Tugmistress.

The last time I tried to take some pictures of the sea on a rough day, I destroyed the camera and was nearlly washed of the end of the peir.

nospe

marlyn
25-Nov-05, 16:15
I'm with you tugmistress, the sea looks fantastic today, I love nothing better than watching the rough sea (from the warmth of my car of course).

jings00
25-Nov-05, 16:22
not long back from down there, took some foties but don't know how they will turn out. seen others takin pics too.

Tugmistress
25-Nov-05, 16:30
went out and forgot the camera :( just back in i think it may be too dark now but have to go out again in a minute or two so i will remember it this time and try :)

Jings,
if they turn out send me a couple please ? :D

jings00
25-Nov-05, 16:35
aye i'll send them over no bother. if i ever get my fingers defrosted.

daviddd
25-Nov-05, 19:26
The weather was something else today. I popped into Thurso about 1100 for some cakes and just made it back into the car when a squall hit the Co-op car park. It was bizarre - there were lots of people walking around at the time and they just kind of doubled up as the wind hit, cowering before the force of it. The rain was torrential and I just sat in the car watching the scene, fascinated, glad I wasn't out there. I can only remember a couple of times in the last 20-odd years here that it's been so bad as that. Awesome!

Tugmistress
25-Nov-05, 20:10
The weather was something else today. I popped into Thurso about 1100 for some cakes and just made it back into the car when a squall hit the Co-op car park. It was bizarre - there were lots of people walking around at the time and they just kind of doubled up as the wind hit, cowering before the force of it. The rain was torrential and I just sat in the car watching the scene, fascinated, glad I wasn't out there. I can only remember a couple of times in the last 20-odd years here that it's been so bad as that. Awesome!

Did you see the flagpole outside the co op swaying :eek:
the top of it at one point was moving at least 5ft! i was mesmerised, but i am sure glad i didn't walk underneath it ;)

postie
25-Nov-05, 20:39
Glad some people had fun today I had to walk about 7 miles delivering lots of post. My legs were shaking by time I got home ,speaking of foam had the biggest bubble bath ever.

golach
25-Nov-05, 20:52
Glad some people had fun today I had to walk about 7 miles delivering lots of post. My legs were shaking by time I got home ,speaking of foam had the biggest bubble bath ever.

Well done Postie, I have been there done the same, hope your customers remember you at Xmas :eyes

Tugmistress
25-Nov-05, 21:01

i have every respect for people like yourselves that have no choice but to go out on days like this and work in it.
treat yourself to a bottle of mulled wine after a day like today and you will get a nice warm glow inside you :D

unicorn
25-Nov-05, 21:04
Or we could all treat the postie to a drop of mulled wine when they drop off our post on a cold day and then laugh ourselves silly as they stagger home lol
ps. that was a joke I do not find it funny to try to turn anyone into an alcoholic

postie
25-Nov-05, 21:10
I did stagger home,nothing to do with wine unfortunately LOL

Tugmistress
25-Nov-05, 21:24
There is nothing better than on a bitter winters night, after being outside working in it all day, than lying in a hot bath, bubbles up to your ears, relaxing, thawing out and drinking a hot glass of mulled wine :D
used to do that when i worked 11 hour shifts down on the docks in Hull and it was heaven :D

daviddd
25-Nov-05, 21:24
I did stagger home,nothing to do with wine unfortunately LOL
Yes, I agree, posties really earn their money! Mind you it must be a rewarding job, a fundamental part of the local social fabric, getting all the gossip etc. And it would be nice to get plenty of exercise and keep so fit and active - you lucky postperson!

golach
25-Nov-05, 21:31
There is nothing better than on a bitter winters night, after being outside working in it all day, than lying in a hot bath, bubbles up to your ears, relaxing, thawing out and drinking a hot glass of mulled wine :D
used to do that when i worked 11 hour shifts down on the docks in Hull and it was heaven :D

Hmmm, when I was a young cabin boy in the late 50's a "Lady" who worked in Hull docks made me an offer I had to refuse :lol:

Tugmistress
25-Nov-05, 21:41
Hmmm, when I was a young cabin boy in the late 50's a "Lady" who worked in Hull docks made me an offer I had to refuse :lol:
:eek:
wasnea me!
i wasn't born until '66
lol
the 'ladies' were a thing of the past when i was there, yes i was working as a stevedore ;) but i still got into some 'fruity' conversations with the original dockers :D, great learning curve :eek:

daviddd
25-Nov-05, 21:46
what does a stevedore do exactly T?

Tugmistress
25-Nov-05, 21:53
what does a stevedore do exactly T?

the actual online dictionary says ....
ste·ve·dore (stē'vĭ-dôr', -dōr') http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/pron.gif
n. One who is employed in the loading or unloading of ships.
tr. & intr.v., -dored, -dor·ing, -dores. To load or unload the cargo of (a ship) or to engage in the process of loading or unloading such a vessel.
[Spanish estibador, from estibar, to stow, from Latin stīpāre, to pack.]

Down in Hull i worked timber, paper, pulp, steel, containers and general cargo ships, both loading and unloading. This sometimes meant standing up to five containers high to hook up the frame the crane used to lift them whilst unloading ... good job i don't mind heights! I also used to get requested (through the agency i worked for) to go to Immingham, Grimsby and Goole for the same.

I have lost my old hard drive with all the old pictures on of what i used to do, but i will have a look around various places to see if i can find some old pics if you like.