PDA

View Full Version : Can someone reccommend a good book?

Anonymous
05-Jun-03, 09:29
I'm looking for a good summer read. I've just finished The Beach House and The Jester. Both good books but I don't know what to read next. Any suggestions?

Eve M
05-Jun-03, 10:25
I've just finished. 'What she wants' by Cathy Kelly. It's very good. What kind of books are you into?

Eve M
05-Jun-03, 11:33
'Infidelity for first time fathers' by Mark Barrowcliffe. This book really made me lol, although it would depend on your sense of humour I guess. I read it in about two nights, I just couldn't put it down.
In fact I must go look it out and pass it on to a friend of mine who has the same kind of sense of humour as me :lol:

mike.mckenzie
05-Jun-03, 12:04
Complicity by Iain Banks. Top drawer!

darklighter
05-Jun-03, 12:13
EVEL INCARNATE .Its Evel Knievel's life story .A proper Heidcase that dude

squidge
05-Jun-03, 12:30
Anything by Roddy Doyle - funny moving full of pathos, makes me laugh out loud

Fortunes Rocks - Anita Shreve - Interesting love story

Wild Swans - jung chang - true life stories of three women in China - moves through the years easily. Great book

The Long Firm - Jake Arnott - Hardhitting thriller/mystery set in 60s soho - fast paced and gripping

The Cutting Room - Louise Welsh. - Thriller - good story will keep you guessing

Prodigal Summer and Pigs in heaven by Barbara Kingsolver - both lovely stories both about human spirit and both love stories in an ungushy way

House on Fire - Andrea Ashworth - beautifully written story of a girl growing up in manchesterin te 70s and 80s. Story of resilience and triumph. funny and poignant and will pull at the memory strings of anyone who is 35ish!!!

The Throwback - Tom Sharpe Wickedly funny, rude and completely bizzare and unrealistic. The funniest book i have ever read.

Enjoy

htwood
05-Jun-03, 17:57
Country of the Pointed Firs.

Love in the Time of Cholera.

The Two Lives of Quincas Wateryell.

Eve M
05-Jun-03, 18:06
Love in the Time of Cholera.

Whats that book about? I'm sure its the book featured in the movie "Serendipity"

htwood
05-Jun-03, 18:42
Editorial Reviews of Love in the Time of Cholera

From Publishers Weekly
In this chronicle of a unique love triangle, the Nobel laureate's trademark "ironic vision and luminous evocation of South America" persist. "It is a fully mature novel in scope and perspective, flawlessly translated, as rich in ideas as in humanity," praised PW . 250,000 first printing.
Copyright 1989 Reed Business Information, Inc.

From Library Journal
While delivering a message to her father, Florentino Ariza spots the barely pubescent Fermina Daza and immediately falls in love. What follows is the story of a passion that extends over 50 years, as Fermina is courted solely by letter, decisively rejects her suitor when he first speaks, and then joins the urbane Dr. Juvenal Urbino, much above her station, in a marriage initially loveless but ultimately remarkable in its strength. Florentino remains faithful in his fashion; paralleling the tale...

Anonymous
06-Jun-03, 11:36
A dictionary that includes recommend.
Paddy

Anonymous
06-Jun-03, 12:23
So, do I get a prize for the first spelling mistake on Caithness.org?

jjc
06-Jun-03, 14:40
'Stuipd White Men' by Michael Moore .. good read but it doesn't take long to get from cover to cover.

Also, 'Dreamcatcher' by Stephen King is v. good. It was his first fiction (I think) after he got hit by that van. Also, I never really liked the whole 'gunslinger' set he did and this was a bit of a return to his 'old self'.

mike.mckenzie
06-Jun-03, 15:12
I read Stupid White Men, the chapter on the election fix fascinated me. The rest was a bit dull.

squidge
06-Jun-03, 19:16
Ringlevio - emmett grogan - story of a mans life during the 60s
You got nothing coming - jake lerner - story of a man in prison in US a good read

2little2late
06-Jun-03, 22:49
How about The AA 2003 road atlas. There is an excellent map of the A9 heading south out of Caithness. [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

Anonymous
07-Jun-03, 13:36
If you have nothing positive to contribute Decon Blue maybe you should take that road - fairly certain you wont be missed.

Anonymous
08-Jun-03, 18:24
I like to think of it as the A9 heading north to HOME!

Jenni
08-Jun-03, 20:58
I enjoyed Catherine Cookson's series "Tilly Trotter", "Tilly Trotter gets married" etc but I think you have to be a fan of Catherines (like I am). I made it a personal goal to try and read all her books but so far have only managed about 30. Will keep trying though, when I get the time :lol:

Mr Sensitive
09-Jun-03, 11:22
How about The AA 2003 road atlas. There is an excellent map of the A9 heading south out of Caithness. [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]
ROFL @ that one Deacon Blue. It may not be in the best possible taste but it made me laugh.

Your recomended (Peddy, where are you?) reading is the weekly listing from the Perthshire Solicitors Property Centre. You can even read it on the web. And dinna worry about ee folkies telling ye no til leave. What they say may be true, but you'll never appreciate it until you've left. You can always move back til Caithness if ye dinna like Perth. The atlas works in both directions. If you do feel homesick, go for a pint in the Capital (Perth's Wetherspoons). As Gleeber says, they're all exactly the same. Same folk drinking same drinks and eating same food..

Books now. Just finished "St Johnstone, the Glory Days". It's short & sweet. Next is "Hibernian, the Glory Days". Very slightly longer.

The book I'm reading right so is so boring I canna mind its title, :eyes

Anonymous
09-Jun-03, 20:44
Try '1st to Die' by James Patterson superb book couldn't put it down.

squidge
09-Jun-03, 23:04
James pattison is great all of his are good

George Brims
11-Jun-03, 20:26
I recently finished "The Shipping News" by Annie Proulx. Excellent - and the movie is also great.

And yesterday I finished "The White Road" by John Connolly. His books run in sequence, with plotlines that run from the first one "Every Dead Thing", through "Dark Hollow" and "The Killing Kind" to "White Road". But you should only read those if you aren't freaked out by violence and horror. They are pretty strong in places.

rich
13-Jun-03, 18:50
Joseph Mitchell: Up in the Old Hotel
A collection of pieces he wrote for the New Yorker in the '30s,'40s and '50s. Includes masterpeces like McSorley's Wonderful Saloon and the Man Who Could talk to Seagulls.

Flann O'Brien: At Swim Two Birds (so funny it's dangerous)

Shelbey Foote: The Civil War. (The AMerican Civil War battle by battle - great stuff. The ideal summer read)

Raymond Chandler: The Long Goodbye (Eveybody thinks they've read Chandler because they've seen the movies of read one of his numerous imitators. Well they haven't and he's still the best.)

Gunther Schiller: The Swing Era (for jazz fanatics this is the greatest - he is fo fair in his judgements and so eloquent. He even sets out to explain how swing works mathematically. But no Fats Waller! How come he forgot Fats Waller....?)

Memoirs of the Duc de Simon: OK admittedly I've still to finish this after 10 years. But I feel that I am beginning to feel my way around the court of Louis XIV. Or is it XV? Blast! Suitable for post coital reading in the midnight hours with a glass of claret accompanied by the deep breathing of ones sated, sleeping spouse. Or maybe someone else you've sated....Stop me, Colin, ere I transgress the bounds of what is acceptable in these parts....)

Gustav FLaubert: A Sentimental education. (So cruel, so cynical, so French, such a snappy prose style you might get whiplash...)

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST

Vincent Van Gogh: Dear Theo (The greates letters ever written)

Anonymous
14-Jun-03, 11:19
Agree with Squidgie on The Long Firm by Jake Arnott - started reading his next novel, He Kills Coppers.

The last King of Scotland, Giles Fodden
Zanzibar, Giles Fodden
Its Colours they are Fine, Alan Spence
Morven Caller, Alan Warner
The Locust Room, John Burnside
The Dumb House, John Burnside
The Mercy Boys, John Burnside
Bunkerman, Duncan Maclean
Complicity, Iain Banks
Consider Phlebas, Iain M Banks
The Shankill Butchers, Martin Dillon

That'll do for starters :roll:

htwood
19-Jun-03, 17:30
I started to post this on the Jokes board, but decided it was no joke ;) Get your daughters into university! -HW

A couple went on vacation to a fishing resort up north. The husband liked to
fish at the crack of dawn. The wife liked to read.

One morning the husband returned after several hours of fishing and decided
to take a short nap. Although she wasn't familiar with the lake, the wife
decided to take the boat. She rowed out a short distance, anchored, and returned
to
reading her book.

Along came the sheriff in his boat. He pulled up alongside her and said,
"Good morning, Ma'am. What are you doing?"

"Reading my book," she replied...as she thought to herself, "duh -- isn't it
obvious?"

"You're in a restricted fishing area," he informed her.

"But officer, I'm not fishing. Can't you see that?"

"Yes, but you have all the equipment. I'll have to take you in and write you
up."

"If you do that, I'll have to charge you with rape," snapped the irate woman.

"But, I haven't even touched you," groused the sheriff.

"Yes, that's true, she replied, "but you do have all the equipment."

MORAL: Never argue with a woman who knows how to read. It's likely she can
also think.

Iceman
19-Jun-03, 22:40
MORAL: Never argue with a woman who knows how to read. It's likely she can
also think.[/quote

Only likely, (as you say) I should point out.

Try FHM, it's a great read :evil

Anonymous
20-Jun-03, 08:57
Iceman the thread is about books not comics ;) By the way GQ is a far more erudite publication ;)

squidge
20-Jun-03, 13:21
Agree with Squidgie on The Long Firm by Jake Arnott - started reading his next novel, He Kills Coppers.

He kills coppers is good too - I like the way he ties the two together with small but noticeable detail - very clever. If you like this though Kw you will enjoy The Cutting Room" Louise Welsh - excellent and another first novel!!!

Shalom
21-Jun-03, 16:16
"Welcome to the World, Baby Girl", "Standing in the Rainbow" and "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café"...all by Fannie Flagg.
Anything by Nicholas Sparks.
Mediaeval mysteries by Michael Jecks..best read in order.
Susannah Gregory's series set in 14th Century Cambridge.
Jan Karon's Mitford series.
Colin Forbes's books especially the ones about Tweed and team (they are a bit similar but very enjoyable).