PDA

View Full Version : Delicate people

percy toboggan
20-May-08, 19:30
Why are some people such delicate flowers?

They describe a difference of opinion as 'bullying' it seems.

Anyone who contributes to a public forum must expect disagreement, unless the subject is utterly benign...and I usally ignore those anyway.

Delicate flowers are all very well but they need careful coddlin' and if the resultant fertiliser gets up my nose then I'll take exception to it. Won't you?

I've no idea on genders, or age when I reply to posts on here...it's not incumbent on me to check.

I do not like being called a 'bully'...but if the cap fits then I'll probably pack it in.

scotsboy
20-May-08, 19:32
You are opinionated Percy, certainly not a bully. What a boring World we would have if everyone looked, said and thought the same. More power to those with opinions!

northener
20-May-08, 19:34
Percy, if we all agreed on everything all the time, life would be drab.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Oddquine
20-May-08, 19:39
Unless you are being abusive, then being opinionated isn't bullying...........though I guess the way you say it could sometimes be construed as such.

But the test is if you get warned/suspended by management.

If you are....then you were.

silverfox57
20-May-08, 19:46
keep on posting percy the org would be very dull without orgers like you self on here,as have not got past one liners yet,read you posts with internest,

TBH
20-May-08, 20:59

Anyone who contributes to a public forum must expect disagreement, unless the subject is utterly benign...and I usally ignore those anyway.

Delicate flowers are all very well but they need careful coddlin' and if the resultant fertiliser gets up my nose then I'll take exception to it. Won't you?

I've no idea on genders, or age when I reply to posts on here...it's not incumbent on me to check.

I do not like being called a 'bully'...but if the cap fits then I'll probably pack it in.I hate it when you bully me Percy, sometimes I cry myself to sleep at night.:lol:

hotrod4
20-May-08, 21:06
If we all agreed it would be a very sad world indeed.
Long may you percy people off as it contributes to your originality(doesnt mean I always agree with you lol)
I suppose percying people off may make it to your Collins concise dictionary? ;)
(copyright Hotrod4 2008)

joxville
20-May-08, 21:11
What a boring world it would be if we were all the same. I've done a few posts on the Rivers Of Urine thread along with other .orgers and whilst some of them I didn't agree with, they are still entitled to have their say. Also, how can you bully someone on here? You must have very low self-esteem to feel that you're being bullied. They can't see you, they don't know you, so you can pretend to be someone else if needs be.

If you feel you're being bullied then report it to an administrator, although if it got to that stage then perhaps this forum isn't really something you should be a part of. Just go lie in a padded room and think of fluffy clouds in a marshmallow world.

Venture
20-May-08, 22:03
Join the Club. You are not alone Percy. I too have had rep sent to me telling me I am a bully and threatening, and the post referred to was actually for defending you. [lol] I could see nothing wrong with what I posted and obviously neither did the Mods. In fact some orgers actually gave me good rep for it. Im afraid some of the new members on here seem to think its OK for them to have an opinion but the minute you disagree or challenge them on what they have posted they are sending PM's and bad rep in response. They certainly have a lot to learn.

The org has lost too many good posters of late Percy and I for one enjoy your input to this message board. In fact Id go so far as to say the org wouldn't be the same without you. The cap most certainly does not fit. Ignore them and their accusations. Hopefully they'll get the message...and I don't mean the text.;)

henry20
20-May-08, 22:35
Sometimes, when I've had strong feelings on something, I feel it comes across in my posts. I've never personally criticised anyone (maybe rubbished their ideas ;) ) but have sometimes wondered if I've overstepped the mark - funnily enough, these are the posts that have gained me most of my rep points! :lol:

I think a lot of 'regulars' have flown the nest because they don't feel they can speak their mind without upsetting people, just my opinion!

sweetpea
20-May-08, 22:56
I think it depends on what you constitute as being bullying.

domino
20-May-08, 23:00
everyone is entitled to have an opinion. if others do not like it hard cheese

sweetpea
20-May-08, 23:04
everyone is entitled to have an opinion. if others do not like it hard cheese

Too true! Part of that crazy world is trying to fit in.

jings00
20-May-08, 23:21
never found any of your posts to be bullying, mate.
like everyone is sayin, be a pretty naff site if everyone agreed!!

Kevin Milkins
20-May-08, 23:46
The only thing I find intimidating about you Perce is you know lots of big words and proberbly know what most of them mean. Its great having a read through threads that have been put together with a bit of thought by an inteligent person. Somtimes I think I might get involved in this one ,but common sense takes over and I do the sesible thing and sit on the fence.
Keep on posting as someone has to keep the standards up.:Razz

Venture
20-May-08, 23:47
I think it depends on what you constitute as being bullying.

I was accused of bullying for my replies on the 14 units of drink thread which I think is now on page two. Then I was accused of threatening people with my post on the Rivers of Urine thread. I wasn't pulled up by the mods for it but was bad repped and PM'd by the people I had replied to on the thread. If you think what I have posted constitutes bullying or threatening behaviour please tell in what way.

joxville
21-May-08, 00:03
I was accused of bullying for my replies on the 14 units of drink thread which I think is now on page two. Then I was accused of threatening people with my post on the Rivers of Urine thread. I wasn't pulled up by the mods for it but was bad repped and PM'd by the people I had replied to on the thread. If you think what I have posted constitutes bullying or threatening behaviour please tell in what way.

You're entitled to your opinion. After all, nothing VENTUREd nothing gained:D

rfr10
21-May-08, 00:11
I've never sent out bad rep points to anybody and the only people who have sent me red points are the nannyheads who disagree with what I've said.

I don't see myself as a bully either. I've had a mass of people who have disagreed strongly with me and I am a very persistent person who will go on and on and on in order to get my point across but never will I get involved personally with members.

For example, many of the members I've had heated debates (arguments if you'd like to refer to them as that) I'd never have anything against them in general or if I met them on the street, I wouldn't ignore them just because we had this debate or disagreement.

The reason I never see anyone as bullying me is because I always have something to say back in return and am often very defensive. For other people, this may not be the case and they may take what is said seriously if they are not able to defend themselves, it is at this point when I would refer to it as bullying.

Just be careful, there's nothing wrong with being delicate, in fact, I'm sure the world would be a better place if more people were like this. Watch what you say and if after saying it, you realise people are offended by it, try and apologise or back up what you've said with points to proove that your intentions aren't to bully.

rfr10
21-May-08, 00:15

Sounds like something that happened to me once.

I was bad repped once in a thread about a car accident which I was trying to help the member as people were getting on at her for posting about the accident. I helped out by trying to say not to worry about it because you've done nothing wrong and the next minute, I was bad repped with a comment saying "absolute bilge!" but then, this member was banned and my red rep was cancelled out by a green rep from Colin.

Margaret M.
21-May-08, 02:53
It makes one wonder how the delicate flowers handle life offline.

Sporran
21-May-08, 04:54

I do not like being called a 'bully'...but if the cap fits then I'll probably pack it in.

Oh Percy, now don't you dare leave
You're a bully?? That's hard to believe!
Opinionated? Aye,'tis true
But we'd be lost here without you
If you pack it in, many would grieve!

A thinking cap is what fits you
As pondering is what you do
You have a way with words, my friend
Please don't let your posting here end!

tisme
21-May-08, 07:36
Percy don't you dare pack it in. You are one of only a few on this forum who tell it like it is, if people can't handle it, tough. I look forward to your posts, they always end up in a debate, love it!

david
21-May-08, 08:13
Percy don't you dare pack it in. You are one of only a few on this forum who tell it like it is, if people can't handle it, tough. I look forward to your posts, they always end up in a debate, love it!

Not sure about Percy telling it like it is. IMHO Percy tells it like he thinks it is. Two different things. Still makes for interesting debate though.

Thumper
21-May-08, 08:32
I think the problem is that when reading the written word it is easy to mis-read it,as in if you are in a bad mood anyway you can actually read a piece of work in the opposite way as to what it was intended (hope everyone is following this cos I am getting lost myself now lol) ie:you get a text and read it,but you are harrased anyway so when reading it you read it in the mood you are in not in the context in which it was sent.I have done that myself and though "how dare they say that,or what have I done to annoy them"only to realise when I re-read it in better fettle the text/email takes on an entirely different meaning x

padfoot
21-May-08, 08:47
i happen to be one of the people he is aiming his post at and yeah i think he is a bully i think it is abusive to sit there and call someone thick and yes venture you did threaten sitting there sayin to someone you are gona live to regret criticising someone is a threat and then you came on the 14 units when the post was supposed to be about what other people drink and if they drink over the 14 units but you just came on and said how disgracfull for us to be drinkin that much but when older people say they do i dont see you criticising them or any of the people on the daft things thread or the person prior to kismet on the rivers of urine thread you are slelective on who you pick on, as far as im concerned i would rather not talk to you sort of people and happen to know loads of people who dont like coming on here because people like you just just jump down their throats and thats the last im gona say to you two so dont bother private mailing me with your gloats and goading anymore

Sapphire2803
21-May-08, 09:14
i happen to be one of the people he is aiming his post at and yeah i think he is a bully i think it is abusive to sit there and call someone thick and yes venture you did threaten sitting there sayin to someone you are gona live to regret criticising someone is a threat and then you came on the 14 units when the post was supposed to be about what other people drink and if they drink over the 14 units but you just came on and said how disgracfull for us to be drinkin that much but when older people say they do i dont see you criticising them or any of the people on the daft things thread or the person prior to kismet on the rivers of urine thread you are slelective on who you pick on, as far as im concerned i would rather not talk to you sort of people and happen to know loads of people who dont like coming on here because people like you just just jump down their throats and thats the last im gona say to you two so dont bother private mailing me with your gloats and goading anymore

Saying that someone will live to regret something is not making a threat. If Venture had said that she would make sure you lived to regret it, then that would be.
You will live to regret it = One day you'll look back and think "I really shouldn't have said that"

Well, that's how I would read it anyway.

Having a strong opinion on something and wording your posts to match is NOT bullying.

At the end of the day, if ya can't stand the heat...
Or just lighten up and don't read threats where there aren't any.

I have had an "incident" with an orger, although I can't help thinking that it was a case of mistaken indentity, I have also had people disagree with me, sometimes in strongly worded posts, yet I have never (to my recollection) given a bad rep.

Oh, and as for you Mr Toboggan, you're not getting all delicate on us are you? ;)

If you leave, then I'll arrange for me and a few orgers to camp out on your doorstep and demand that you spout opinions at us at least thrice daily....

Now that's a threat!! [lol]

Anji
21-May-08, 10:39
I think the problem is that when reading the written word it is easy to mis-read it,as in if you are in a bad mood anyway you can actually read a piece of work in the opposite way as to what it was intended (hope everyone is following this cos I am getting lost myself now lol) ie:you get a text and read it,but you are harrased anyway so when reading it you read it in the mood you are in not in the context in which it was sent.I have done that myself and though "how dare they say that,or what have I done to annoy them"only to realise when I re-read it in better fettle the text/email takes on an entirely different meaning x

I agree with Thumper. The written word is much more easily misconstrued than the spoken word.

NickInTheNorth
21-May-08, 10:50
Off you go then Percy and good riddance, you're nothing but a loud mouthed self opinionated bully. The .org would be a better place without you. Any place would be a better place without you come to that.

Every opinion you ever express is incorrect. I know that for a fact because they are not my opinions.

Now why not just shut up and go hide under a rock. You delicate little flower you!

BTW what size cap do you take?

;) :D

Venture
21-May-08, 11:14

This post refers to me and Percy. Your last post on the same subject was removed by the Mods due to its content. Hopefully this time it will be left on the board to allow people to form their own opinions.

bekisman
21-May-08, 11:50
Percy don't pack it in, if people misread your enthusiasm for abuse - well that's their problem, it is correct that a number of other regular folks have 'gone' - last count I noticed was 8 orgers in suspension, and an unknown number banned - no way of telling why they were, as the posts leading up to the suspension are (I think?) deleted.
I'm 'nervous' in what I post, on the edge so to speak. I've just had a look at the Rules which mentions Yellow and Red cards; I was suspended last year; Mine says "Expired 3 points" & "Expired 12 points" the rules say;
'Yellow Cards - You will receive a Private Message which will identify the post and the rule that was broken. These warnings are given to remind you of the Rules, failure to follow the rules will lead to Red cards.
Red Cards - Infraction, the same idea as a yellow card except that you will also receive points, once your point level reaches 10 points you will be suspended until your point total has dropped below the limit. The penalty for being suspended is a permanent 4 points being added to your account, this reduces your free points and these will add up so that your third suspension will be a permanent ban.'
I might be thick but I take this to mean I have '4 permanent points' hanging over me? another unintentional faux pas and I'm for the ex-org malcontents? - hopefully not - no wish to be a wallflower on this 'delicate flowers' thread, hopefully political correctness will not be too invigoratingly enforced, and the thrust and parry will continue with the quasi-combatants on the org - it brings it LIFE.

Kismet
21-May-08, 12:45
-----------------------------

Bobinovich
21-May-08, 12:51
Percy don't pack it in, if people misread your enthusiasm for abuse - well that's their problem, it is correct that a number of other regular folks have 'gone' - last count I noticed was 8 orgers in suspension, and an unknown number banned - no way of telling why they were, as the posts leading up to the suspension are (I think?) deleted.
I'm 'nervous' in what I post, on the edge so to speak. I've just had a look at the Rules which mentions Yellow and Red cards; I was suspended last year; Mine says "Expired 3 points" & "Expired 12 points" the rules say;
'Yellow Cards - You will receive a Private Message which will identify the post and the rule that was broken. These warnings are given to remind you of the Rules, failure to follow the rules will lead to Red cards.
Red Cards - Infraction, the same idea as a yellow card except that you will also receive points, once your point level reaches 10 points you will be suspended until your point total has dropped below the limit. The penalty for being suspended is a permanent 4 points being added to your account, this reduces your free points and these will add up so that your third suspension will be a permanent ban.'
I might be thick but I take this to mean I have '4 permanent points' hanging over me? another unintentional faux pas and I'm for the ex-org malcontents? - hopefully not - no wish to be a wallflower on this 'delicate flowers' thread, hopefully political correctness will not be too invigoratingly enforced, and the thrust and parry will continue with the quasi-combatants on the org - it brings it LIFE.

One of the things which came out of the Usergroup was the need, on occasions, for a person to be 'sin-binned' for a period to let them cool down. This is done through a temporary 12-point suspension and is therefore not subject to the 4 permanent points. The permanent 4 points, if given, would show as a separate infraction on your User Profile.

Also, as has been discussed many times before, the reasons for a persons suspension or banning is between that person and the board Admin.

helenwyler
21-May-08, 12:53

I seem to be reading percy's post differently to some orgers. Perhaps he means: if the cap fits, he'll pack the bullying in? :)

As for the cap fitting... a baseball cap is usually adjustable, and you can pack it in the smallest of bags when not needed. ;)

hotrod4
21-May-08, 13:55
Off you go then Percy and good riddance, you're nothing but a loud mouthed self opinionated bully. The .org would be a better place without you. Any place would be a better place without you come to that.

Every opinion you ever express is incorrect. I know that for a fact because they are not my opinions.

Now why not just shut up and go hide under a rock. You delicate little flower you!

Thats not very nice is it.
Maybe you are trying to bully percy off the org?
Are you becoming the very thing you claim percy to be?
People in glass houses etc......................
Have a nice day :)

MadPict
21-May-08, 14:34
I think Nick was having some fun, hence the wink and grin emoticons at the end of his post.

Kevin Milkins
21-May-08, 14:59
I think Nick was having some fun, hence the wink and grin emoticons at the end of his post..

I hope you are right Madpict,but it does go to show that the written word can read in different ways . The Org does seem to be going a bit wonky again though.
I would urge that whatever people's opinions are ,please dont be unpleasant.

MadPict
21-May-08, 15:13

This sort of gives the game away - also the post is sooo rude it has to be taking the mikey...

I have been wrong before now though...

bekisman
21-May-08, 16:27
Bobinovitch; "One of the things which came out of the Usergroup was the need, on occasions, for a person to be 'sin-binned' for a period to let them cool down. This is done through a temporary 12-point suspension and is therefore not subject to the 4 permanent points. The permanent 4 points, if given, would show as a separate infraction on your User Profile. Also, as has been discussed many times before, the reasons for a persons suspension or banning is between that person and the board Admin."

Thanks for that Bobinovitch, I can breath a little more easily - I fully understand that the reason for suspension/banned is between the Admin and the person concerned - this was cleared up by the banned thread some time ago - this was purely an inoffensive aside by me.
And madpict, fully agree with your own conclusions that Nickinthenorth was joshing

Sapphire2803
21-May-08, 16:29
I think Nick was having some fun, hence the wink and grin emoticons at the end of his post.

This sort of gives the game away - also the post is sooo rude it has to be taking the mikey...

I have been wrong before now though...

Yep, that's how I read it too :)

Sporran
21-May-08, 16:38
Nick's taking the mickey, I agree
He is being ironic, you see
He means the opposite of what he said
So please folks, don't be misled!

tisme
21-May-08, 17:43
Not sure about Percy telling it like it is. IMHO Percy tells it like he thinks it is. Two different things. Still makes for interesting debate though.
My point exactly. I think he tells it like it is, you don't, who's right? We both are :confused

northener
21-May-08, 18:05

Had me going for a while there, Nick.:D

david
21-May-08, 19:20
My point exactly. I think he tells it like it is, you don't, who's right? We both are :confused

Yes, but Percy would never concede that one!

percy toboggan
21-May-08, 19:32
first off thanks to all for the positive comments about moi. (oui...am still doin' me French! :))

So, it seems most folk do not think I am a bully...which pleases me no end.

It's not something to accuse a person of lightly...my accusation came after I posted some good rep in a jokey manner....strange...but maybe I misread the person involved, after all how much do we have to go one here with new people.

Nick was jokin' - I knew that.;)

I've had a read of all the posts before breaking the Speckled Hen out of the fridge to watch the match tonight...(or 'The Apprentice' if Manchester United look like winning!)

I'd just like to make it clear that I have never sent a private message to padfoot...as I recall she suggested in her post. I actually enjoyed reading her somewhat feisty riposte - in English - and hope more new blood appears on 'ere so long as they don't write in text speak...summat which always percy's me off !

I too miss some of the old names and contributors...although I'd bet a few have slipped back in under assumed names etc....perhaps they have changed their style just a little to conform to the rules of this impressive forum.

It takes all sorts to make a forum and especially one worthy of the name.So long as basic rules of civility are observed I see nothing wrong in robust opinion, dis-agreement and heated, even fierce debate...I'm only relieved most of the good folk on 'ere agree with me.

The 'when in Rome' adage is particularly appropriate to the Forum...it's hardly a pit of vipers though, is it?

percy toboggan
21-May-08, 19:45
...for now..I think a certain poster may have mis-took 'good rep' for a 'private message'...if the kap fits Kismet then fair doo's...perhaps you don't know the difference.

When you stated that I originated the 'Rivers of Urine' thread because I like an argument I sent you good rep worded ...."How very Dare You"
It was meant as a joke and fell upon stoney ground. Can't win 'em all.

cuddlepop
21-May-08, 20:02
Percy your an aquired taste,;)

personally I prefer your honesty in your posts
.Like i've said to new posters grow a thick skin it helps in the initiating ceremony.

Someone bad rep'd me by accident and I didnt throw a huffy.:roll:
A private pm was all that was required to clear up the misunderstanding..

AfternoonDelight
22-May-08, 17:00

Oh My Word - use some punctutation, please!!!!!

Sorry - is that bullying..? :eek:

Tilter
23-May-08, 01:12
Keep on truckin' Perce. You're doing fine.

MadPict
23-May-08, 01:23
Rate of fuel price increases, keeping on truckin' might not be an option....

Tilter
23-May-08, 01:31
Rate of fuel price increases, keeping on truckin' might not be an option....

OK. Metaphorically speaking MP.

Rheghead
23-May-08, 02:07

Can I get one thing straight with you? Ken was completely in the rights to put that notice up on the toilet wall, regardless of whatever you say. He has a job to do afterall!!! And while I'm on the subject, as for those two conniving dimwits in the bar, Duffy should have known better than to play around, you probably think he was in the Right!! And of course you probably think it is good old coppering to drink on duty and get e craic? I'm not mentioning the drugs. "Crime can't crack itself"? C'mon Percy! Think again!! So how do you really relate to them? Are they all like that in Manchester? It is all rubbish but you wouldn't even know that if it shot you in the arm. And you wouldn't even know the name of the dog that found the FA cup, would you? General knowledge seems to give you a big swerve. I actually think you are jealous!! Jealous because Ken's daughter's boyfriend is Scottish, and now you hate all Scots!! I'm right arn't ah? Come on, admit it. You've done nowt but dish out backhanded compliments to us north of the border since you have arrived. You even had the audacity to say that Wick was a nice wee town, as if anyone was going to fall for that one, don't insult our intelligence!![disgust]

Kevin Milkins
23-May-08, 11:37
Can I get one thing straight with you? Ken was completely in the rights to put that notice up on the toilet wall, regardless of whatever you say. He has a job to do afterall!!! And while I'm on the subject, as for those two conniving dimwits in the bar, Duffy should have known better than to play around, you probably think he was in the Right!! And of course you probably think it is good old coppering to drink on duty and get e craic? I'm not mentioning the drugs. "Crime can't crack itself"? C'mon Percy! Think again!! So how do you really relate to them? Are they all like that in Manchester? It is all rubbish but you wouldn't even know that if it shot you in the arm. And you wouldn't even know the name of the dog that found the FA cup, would you? General knowledge seems to give you a big swerve. I actually think you are jealous!! Jealous because Ken's daughter's boyfriend is Scottish, and now you hate all Scots!! I'm right arn't ah? Come on, admit it. You've done nowt but dish out backhanded compliments to us north of the border since you have arrived. You even had the audacity to say that Wick was a nice wee town, as if anyone was going to fall for that one, don't insult our intelligence!![disgust]

Lost me big style with that one .:confused

I also dare to mention that I think Wick is a nice wee town:D

tisme
23-May-08, 12:20
Think's it's called sarcasim...............:lol:

hotrod4
23-May-08, 17:50

Ken wasnt right to write on the wall especially after Duffy playing around with the FA cup the dog found coming back from Manchester while drinking on duty and a craic pipe in his pocket.
Utterly speechless at your lack of knowledge about what REALLY happened that night ;)

honey
23-May-08, 18:07
i have disgreed with a lot of your opinions Percy, and i honestly think we could get stuck in a blood boiling debate on certain subjects, but i dont think your a bully. Beleive me, i have had to deal with someone on another site who IS a bully, and form what i have seen, Percy is not in the same bracket as him!!

You know, my mam always said to us "its not what you say, its the way you say it" sometimes its hard to pick up what someone means in writing, maybe its just mis-interpretation?

percy toboggan
23-May-08, 18:57
Rheghead's talking 'Early Doors' (he might well have had a few 'imself)
My Lad down in Leicestershire just bought the boxed set(saves 'im borrowing mine)...like Father like Son eh?...or is it the other way around...(if you missed it please catch up when it's on again - classic)

Only one word to say to you Rheg...Pickles!

Oh, and by the way...'Do You like circuses'?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-May-08, 20:58

Percy isnae a bully.He speaks what he thinks.Ye might disagree with him and he will fight his corner to show ye why he thinks what he does.Thats a forum.Ye have to take other folks opinions into consideration.I've read Percy's posts and I've read yours.Difference of opinion,is what I put it down to.Padfoot,one thing,brilliant username.Sirius would be proud.:)

david
23-May-08, 21:30
Yep Percys not a bully, however what is annoying about some of his posts and others is the words they use-or I could be just thick ( although I did get an A at o level English ) I don't know how many times I have had to google a word used by posters to understand the tone of their post.

Rheghead
23-May-08, 21:34
Oh, and by the way...'Do You like circuses'?

Oh, I love circuses, do you like circuses, percy?:confused :)

Oh btw, if you're passing the chippy with yer mrs, throw in a fish to show you love her!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-May-08, 21:40
Yep Percys not a bully, however what is annoying about some of his posts and others is the words they use-or I could be just thick ( although I did get an A at o level English ) I don't know how many times I have had to google a word used by posters to understand the tone of their post.

How can ye google the tone of a word of a posters post on a forum?Ye might have got an A at o level English,but ye get a big 'F' from me for common sense.If yer stickin up for a friend,I commend ye,but say it to them not on a forum board.Thats what forums are about,ye give yer say,if folk disagree then fight back and prove them your point.I have had the joy to meet some of ye.I've not been disappointed.

percy toboggan
23-May-08, 21:41
Oh, I love circuses, do you like circuses, percy?:confused :)

Nore...I think they're 'expletive deleted'

Incidentally...Cedric: I'd be interested in where the name 'padfoot' comes from.

percy toboggan
23-May-08, 21:43
How can ye google the tone of a word of a posters post on a forum?Ye might have got an A at o level English,but ye get a big 'F' from me for common sense.If yer stickin up for a friend,I commend ye,but say it to them not on a forum board.Thats what forums are about,ye give yer say,if folk disagree then fight back and prove them your point.I have had the joy to meet some of ye.I've not been disappointed.

To be fair, David might have meant 'definitions' rather than 'tone' or nuance Cedric.

Fluff
23-May-08, 21:47
Good god, off the org for a couple of days and look what i miss!!
this will teach me

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-May-08, 21:50
Nore...I think they're 'expletive deleted'

Incidentally...Cedric: I'd be interested in where the name 'padfoot' comes from.
No problem Percy....In the Harry Potter books there was four pals Padfoot,Moonie,Wormtail and Prongs.Really good pals.Here whit I'm a saying,Percy read the books for yousel:lol::lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-May-08, 21:52
To be fair, David might have meant 'definitions' rather than 'tone' or nuance Cedric.

I know whit he meant.

percy toboggan
23-May-08, 22:06
No problem Percy....In the Harry Potter books there was four pals Padfoot,Moonie,Wormtail and Prongs.Really good pals.Here whit I'm a saying,Percy read the books for yousel:lol::lol:

My wife reads them Cedric...I simply watch the films...and have enjoyed them all...even went to the cinema to see three of 'em! Can't say I remember any of those names though...might have put in appearance when I'd dozed off for a few mins perhaps.

david
23-May-08, 22:45
[quote=Cedric Farthsbottom III;387493]How can ye google the tone of a word of a posters post on a forum?Ye might have got an A at o level English,but ye get a big 'F' from me for common sense.If yer stickin up for a friend,I commend ye,but say it to them not on a forum board.Thats what forums are about,ye give yer say,if folk disagree then fight back and prove them your point.I have had the joy to meet some of ye.I've not been disappointed.[/quote
]

All very well, but frustrating when if you can't understand the speak to begin with. What I meant was that with words used like "puerile" (of course you know the meaning), you can only understand the tone of the post by knowing the meaning of the word. I had to google this word to understand that this person thought my post childish.

percy toboggan
23-May-08, 23:05
[quote=Cedric Farthsbottom III;387493]How can ye google the tone of a word of a posters post on a forum?Ye might have got an A at o level English,but ye get a big 'F' from me for common sense.If yer stickin up for a friend,I commend ye,but say it to them not on a forum board.Thats what forums are about,ye give yer say,if folk disagree then fight back and prove them your point.I have had the joy to meet some of ye.I've not been disappointed.[/quote
]

All very well, but frustrating when if you can't understand the speak to begin with. What I meant was that with words used like "puerile" (of course you know the meaning), you can only understand the tone of the post by knowing the meaning of the word. I had to google this word to understand that this person thought my post childish.

Why not buy a good dictionary and keep it in the toilet. Regular browsing helped me considerably. Either that or listen to Radio 4...a lot.
Learning new words and their meaning is liberating. I regularly encounter words I know neither the meaning or definition of David and never...NEVER...let them slip by without lookin' em up.
I feel I owe it to myself

northener
23-May-08, 23:12
[quote=david;387529]

Why not buy a good dictionary and keep it in the toilet. Regular browsing helped me considerably. Either that or listen to Radio 4...a lot.
Learning new words and their meaning is liberating. I regularly encounter words I know neither the meaning or definition of David and never...NEVER...let them slip by without lookin' em up.

I thought I was the only person who read dictionaries on the toilet!

Maybe we should meet up in a public toilet and discuss our favourite words whilst sat on the pan......

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-May-08, 23:17
]

See david thats why ye have to live with forums.Yer not always gonnae
come across the way ye wish to everyone.Anti-org,Dark Glass,Caithness org,ye'll post on the one's ye want to post.Why worry?Ye have yer opinion like percy,so fight yer corner.If ye can't understand the speak,then ye have a difference of opinion,so send it back until the thread goes died!!!

percy toboggan
23-May-08, 23:27
[quote=percy toboggan;387542]

Maybe we should meet up in a public toilet and discuss our favourite words whilst sat on the pan......

It's a thought Northener, but a lexical exchange over a pint of Ale in the Ulbster Arms might be a better way of avoiding arrest. Trysts in public lavs, for whatever reason are surely best avoided:lol:

northener
23-May-08, 23:35
[quote=northener;387546]

It's a thought Northener, but a lexical exchange over a pint of Ale in the Ulbster Arms might be a better way of avoiding arrest. Trysts in public lavs, for whatever reason are surely best avoided:lol:

I'm sorry Percy, but I fail to see how maybe half a dozen shifty looking men (probably in grubby raincoats, but the dress code would be optional), loitering in a public convenience and shouting obscure words from their individual cubicles, could cause sufficient consternation to attract the attention of the Law.

Happens all the time in Keiss.

joxville
23-May-08, 23:52
The dictionary pages would also come in handy if they ran out of loo roll:D

Cedric Farthsbottom III
24-May-08, 00:19
My wife reads them Cedric...I simply watch the films...and have enjoyed them all...even went to the cinema to see three of 'em! Can't say I remember any of those names though...might have put in appearance when I'd dozed off for a few mins perhaps.

Read the books Percy.The films are okay,but the books are awesome.Maybe if ye took the time to see how someone enjoyed the books,maybe my username widnae be Cedric and yer name widnae be Percy.

joxville
24-May-08, 00:37
Read the books Percy.The films are okay,but the books are awesome.Maybe if ye took the time to see how someone enjoyed the books,maybe my username widnae be Cedric and yer name widnae be Percy.

I have to say they are not the type of books I normally read but after the last book was released I thought I would try one. I bought the first book and it was so good I read the next 6 over 15 days-I couldn't put them down.:D

TBH
24-May-08, 02:29
Maybe we should meet up in a public toilet and discuss our favourite words whilst sat on the pan......Words like cottaging?[lol]

.I could be just thick.Yes, you could just be exceptionally thick.:lol:

Sporran
24-May-08, 05:07

I'm sorry Percy, but I fail to see how maybe half a dozen shifty looking men (probably in grubby raincoats, but the dress code would be optional), loitering in a public convenience and shouting obscure words from their individual cubicles, could cause sufficient consternation to attract the attention of the Law.

Happens all the time in Keiss.

I'm laughing my head off at that! So Keiss is the Royston Vasey of Scotland's Far North, eh? ;) The local League of Gentlemen meeting in the gents to learn new words and their meanings. What a convenience! :lol:

hotrod4
24-May-08, 07:22
Only one problem on the Royston vassey front-"this is a local forum for local people, we'll have no trouble here!" . We cant allow David to come on these forums tubbs ,what with no-tails around. ;)

northener
24-May-08, 15:09
Only one problem on the Royston vassey front-"this is a local forum for local people, we'll have no trouble here!" . We cant allow David to come on these forums tubbs ,what with no-tails around. ;)

That sounds chillingly like some of the posts i've read.........