PDA

View Full Version : Infestation

mrsmo
20-May-08, 10:06
I have a Hydrangea which is seriously infested with greenfly and some whitefly - I have tried washing them off but I think need something a bit stronger. I would rather use something enviromentally friendly - anyone got any suggestions?[evil]

Kevin Milkins
20-May-08, 12:55
I have a Hydrangea which is seriously infested with greenfly and some whitefly - I have tried washing them off but I think need something a bit stronger. I would rather use something enviromentally friendly - anyone got any suggestions?[evil]

What are you trying to wash them off with?
If you are useing just plain water you will not have too much luck.
Try your washing up water or bath water as that will make your bush a little less paletable to them. Good luck

the_count
20-May-08, 14:46
my g/f suggests putting banana skins in the soil, nor sure how it works but apparently the rotting banana peels produce a natural chemical that greenfly/blackfly/whitefly cannot abide and its taken up by the plants. Didn't know that myself so your never to old to learn lol :D

2little2late
20-May-08, 21:34
Try planting lavender next to the Hydrangea, greenfly don't like the scent of lavender. This is called companion planting.

mrsmo
21-May-08, 08:55
well talking about lavendar, all mine seem to be dead this year? so that was another problem!!
Will try soapy water and banana skins, nothing ventured as they say!!

Tilter
24-May-08, 01:11
my g/f suggests putting banana skins in the soil, nor sure how it works but apparently the rotting banana peels produce a natural chemical that greenfly/blackfly/whitefly cannot abide and its taken up by the plants. Didn't know that myself so your never to old to learn lol :D
I think bananas produce ethane. If you put banana skins around tomato plants it helps ripen the tomatos. Which is why you keep bananas separate from other fruit in the fruit bowl so the other fruit doesn't ripen/go over too quickly. I've not heard of it deterring white fly though - so I'd try it except don't like bananas so never buy them so don't have any banana skins. Darn.

gardeninginagale
28-May-08, 21:51
Spray with liquid derris. It is organically derived, and approved for use in organic regimes. And if you are still uncomfortable, a high pressure hose will do more damage to the aphids than the plant. The washing-up water option is dodgy. While I cannot claim to be fully organic, I do try. And I don't think squirting Fairy Liquid on your plants is organically acceptable.

mrsmo
29-May-08, 14:17
Ok will give the liquid derris a go as the greenfly are on my violas now!! I have tried drowning them all but some keep coming back, theres a battle raging in the back garden[mad]