PDA

View Full Version : Old money Pounds shillings pennies

coppertop 1958
20-May-08, 00:11
There were twenty (20) shillings per pound.

The shilling was subdivided into twelve (12) pennies.

The penny was further sub-divided into two halfpennies or four farthings (quarter pennies).

2 farthings = 1 halfpenny
2 halfpence = 1 penny (1d)
3 pence = 1 thruppence (3d)
6 pence = 1 sixpence (a 'tanner') (6d)
12 pence = 1 shilling (a bob) (1s)
2 shillings = 1 florin ( a 'two bob bit') (2s)
2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (2s 6d)
5 shillings = 1 Crown (5s)

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/moneyold.htm#top

MadPict
20-May-08, 00:14
Simple eh?...:D

coppertop 1958
20-May-08, 00:19
It Was At The Time

Venture
20-May-08, 08:42

The penny was further sub-divided into two halfpennies or four farthings (quarter pennies).

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/moneyold.htm#top

I used to remember silver thruppeny pieces too. My granny used to wrap them in greaseproof paper and put them in a duff. Used to have great fun trying to find them without swallowing them. [lol] Would definitely be a no no with today's food rules.

Flair
20-May-08, 08:54

That was back when they didn't teach history in school; it was known as 'current affairs' instead. :D

MadPict
20-May-08, 09:35
No, that was back when you left school educated unlike many kids these days unable to read or write proper like.....

no wat i meen, innit?...

the_count
20-May-08, 11:50
eee by eck lad that takes me back ..... I remember going out with the lads and being able to go out to the flicks then round to tut pub for a few pints after and having change to get a curry and a new suit and all for less than a quid lol :lol:

Tighsonas4
20-May-08, 12:46
good counting
that is why the kids today need a calcalator no need for maths
spent all my days learning feet and inches ounces and lbs and of course this lsd and then they go and change the whole blooming lot [lol] tony

joxville
20-May-08, 17:14
I used to remember silver thruppeny pieces too. My granny used to wrap them in greaseproof paper and put them in a duff. Used to have great fun trying to find them without swallowing them. [lol] Would definitely be a no no with today's food rules.

The only time I here the word 'duff' these days is when some female is up it or Homer is drinking it lol.

Riffman
20-May-08, 20:14
These days you need a maths degree just to use the bloody calculators.... [lol]

I'm glad they saw sense and dropped that crazy system....

the charlatans
20-May-08, 20:21
My old boss showed me how she used to do the accounts for her employer in 'old money'. Wow, now i thought i could count fairly well but that made my head hurt.
Viva the decimal system.
Although I do buy my meat and do my baking in pounds and ounces?!?

percy toboggan
20-May-08, 20:44
I think the passing of the old money was a watershed in social terms. We were fleeced...could do nothing about it...or could not muster the will...prices really did rise much faster after decimalisation..and two or three years later hyper-inflation was with us....a coincidence perhaps.

I liked the old money...it set us apart...has anyone noticed just how different we were from our European neighbours?

Islanders all....a strange lot...to be feared perhaps...or simply avoided...them and their strange money...but now? we're becoming indistinguishable..we've sold our souls...or traded 'em in...and we started with the currency. The rest is History from Rome...to Maastricht on to Lisbon.

embow
20-May-08, 23:04
The change over was a brilliant contrick used to devalue the currency at the time and nobody objected because all the hype(government lead) was about going decimal. Old style £1 = 240pennies. New decimal money £1 =100pennies. We lost 140 pennies overnight!!
Also in all the old currencies shown there was also the Guinea = 21 shillings. Still used in buying and selling livestock eg Bull Sales or Race horse sales.
PS Anyone remember doing sums in their head such as ten gross of pencils at 3 1/2d (thruppence ha'penny each). A gross was 144.
Answer £21 (Two pounds & two shillings x 10 : if I've worked it out correctly!)
Also worked out sums using scores(20), eg 3 score packets at 11d comes to £2 15/- in total ( I think!)
Ah! the joys of Mental Arithmetic!

domino
20-May-08, 23:12
No, that was back when you left school educated unlike many kids these days unable to read or write proper like.....

no wat i meen, innit?...
Well said. Bravo

darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
21-May-08, 06:30
The only time I here the word 'duff' these days is when some female is up it or Homer is drinking it lol.
Standing order in our house at Xmas time is a Duff has to be made,so every year I have a big feed of duff & custard,then for he next 3 days we have it fried,in the frypan,great tucker,Coppertop what happened to the Groat=4d,wife has a few from the old days

poppett
21-May-08, 15:22
I realised I was past my sell by date when at New Lanark in the museum "Bank" and I could understand the copperplate ledgers. The children in our group thought it was amazing. I still measure in yards, feet and inches, cook with pounds and ounces and convert the price of things, bread especially, into old money......I shouldn`t do it as it is horiffic.

In school we were taught compound interest, and I can still work out in "real terms" what a loan that looks good is really going to cost.....in my head!

Likewise VAT and betting odds. This is all very fine until asked to put the workings on paper for the answer and that looks like a "hens march to the midden!"

With hindsight it`s no wonder our Maths teacher used to spend the summer holidays in Craig Dunain!!