PDA

View Full Version : wick cemetery

jim shoe
19-May-08, 18:00
went to see my mums stone which was just put up

while i was there .

went to put flowers on my aunties and uncles graves

well low and behold yet again the the urn thing with holes for putting the flowers in has disappeared yet again.

over the past months since christmas i have lost count of the amount of times this has happened i am livid.

i think the time has probably come to cement everything in

i will cement the urn in the holes and i will cement the lid with the holes in it

someone did suggest to me maybe the wind had carried the lid away

i retorted aye and did the wind leave the flower lying by the side in a disassembled bunch

it appears even the dead are not allowed dignity in wick anymore:~(

domino
19-May-08, 19:54
That is terrible. I sometimes wonder if some people have any respect for anything

Tighsonas4
19-May-08, 19:59
that seems to be the age we live in today sadly
some have no respect for the living or the dead. sad times we live in tony

scorrie
20-May-08, 00:12
We often extol the virtues of the freedom that was fought for in world wars. Then we forget that this same freedom includes the right of our population to extend the middle finger to all and sundry. Our youth have never had to earn anything, we throw it all at them. Then we wonder why they do not appreciate or respect anything. We have made our own bed and shall lie in it now. Only if the yobs will let us though!!

TBH
20-May-08, 02:12
went to see my mums stone which was just put up

while i was there .

went to put flowers on my aunties and uncles graves

well low and behold yet again the the urn thing with holes for putting the flowers in has disappeared yet again.

over the past months since christmas i have lost count of the amount of times this has happened i am livid.

i think the time has probably come to cement everything in

i will cement the urn in the holes and i will cement the lid with the holes in it

someone did suggest to me maybe the wind had carried the lid away

i retorted aye and did the wind leave the flower lying by the side in a disassembled bunch

it appears even the dead are not allowed dignity in wick anymore:~(This is a problem my sister has had while tending my mothers grave. Nothing is off limits to a minority of people in this day and age.
We had our share of troublemakers when I was younger. They could be guilty of many things but none would dream of desecrating a grave.

Fran
20-May-08, 03:44
I think you will find it is the wind not vandals causing this problem. I go to the cemetry daily and the vase top with holes was missing a few times. I always found it with lots of others at the bottom of the cemetry, mostly with flowers intact. Have you looked there? I think the cemetry workers retreive all these items too. A bit of bluetac is good for sticking the tops on to the container and another piece inside the hole to hold the container.

Hibeechick
20-May-08, 09:34
Just a few wee tips that I give to my customers, you might find it helpful.

1) Weight the vase down with sand, stones gravel etc before you put your flowers in.

2) Luggage ties. You know the ones where you pull them tight but they don't open again? Drill a small hole into the vase, and attatch the lid to the vase using the ties. Even the wind can't get those off!

3) If you think the flowers are too lose in the rosebowl, add in a bit more foliage, cupress or conifer etc.. and pack into the holes with the flowers. A bit harder to get out but stops the wind from taking them.

Hope these help :)

pat
20-May-08, 11:32
went to a funeral and some very noticeable wreaths - afterwards went with some people to grave, some people who had interred their relation the previous day were missing one of the main wreaths - it was on the grave of the funeral I had attended with a card from one of the extended family!!!!

The people had one unusual rose left behind on their grave as it had broken off, exactly matched the roses on a very noticeable wreath at funeral I had attended and one was missing!!!!

Obviously these folk had been up late at night and removed a wreath to enable them to put a wreath at their relations funeral.

I know the person's funeral I attended would have been extremely upset, he would have been birlin' in his grave I think at this behaviour.

Checked with florists from back of card and they did not make wreath - how low can some people stoop to look good.

Penelope Pitstop
20-May-08, 12:28
That's really shocked me Pat......:( absolutely no respect.

NLP
20-May-08, 14:17
went to a funeral and some very noticeable wreaths - afterwards went with some people to grave, some people who had interred their relation the previous day were missing one of the main wreaths - it was on the grave of the funeral I had attended with a card from one of the extended family!!!!

The people had one unusual rose left behind on their grave as it had broken off, exactly matched the roses on a very noticeable wreath at funeral I had attended and one was missing!!!!

Obviously these folk had been up late at night and removed a wreath to enable them to put a wreath at their relations funeral.

I know the person's funeral I attended would have been extremely upset, he would have been birlin' in his grave I think at this behaviour.

Checked with florists from back of card and they did not make wreath - how low can some people stoop to look good.

The very same thing happened when we buried my dad. To this day I've never spoken to the couple who did it, my mum was so upset about it.

Venture
20-May-08, 16:11

These people ought to be ashamed of themselves. Is nothing safe nowadays even in a cemetery. How much does it cost for a bunch of flowers? A couple of pounds in some places. What happened to the saying "its the thought that counts". For people to stoop so low just to impress others is shocking.

pat
20-May-08, 18:35
Absolutely agree with you all - the people concerned obviously have no respect for the living or the dead, such folk are to be pitied for trying to keep up with what they believe are "THE JONESES" but having to steal to try to do it - pathetic.

I will always remember those people for their dispicable behaviour and dishonesty even when faced with the truth.

After the above episode I now give a donation to a charity rather than buy flowers - I usually give a donation to a cause perhaps dear to the person, be it a people or animal chaity is irrelevant, that way somebody benefits.

poppett
20-May-08, 19:18
I always think flowers should be for the living, and would prefer to give a posy to the relatives than a wreath. At the cemetry we always have silk flowers on show and tie them with cable ties as described earlier.

domino
20-May-08, 19:40
Flowers are entitled to a life to. I do not like cut flowers.