PDA

View Full Version : Watten POW Book

rob murray
19-May-08, 17:25
I bought this book at the week end in Inverness..great stuff..especially about the escapes..best story is about the two POW's who sneak out and are later that night re captured after being found in Thurso Picture house with 2 Thurso lassies !!!

Valerie Campbell
19-May-08, 19:27
I bought this book at the week end in Inverness..great stuff..especially about the escapes..best story is about the two POW's who sneak out and are later that night re captured after being found in Thurso Picture house with 2 Thurso lassies !!!

Glad you enjoyed it!! If you ever find out who the girls were, please let me know. I've drawn a blank so far but surely they must have told their children or grandchildren!

rob murray
20-May-08, 09:23
Given that a few nights afterwards, the guys escaped again and the girls were caught going up Thurso river to provide them with shaving gear / food etc, I would have thought that this would have been seen very harshly ie a criminal act...is there nothing on this in the Groat / Courier records, or was the story classified for security reasons.

starry
20-May-08, 10:56
I didn't know any of this, I am going to buy the book it sounds really interesting.

Valerie Campbell
20-May-08, 16:25
This event was in the newspapers at the time. It was advertised because the authorities wanted the men recaptured and hoped it would stimulate locals to look out for them.

jings00
20-May-08, 23:15
my brother in law has it, i'm waiting for a shottie!!