PDA

View Full Version : Knitters Wanted!

Jill
19-May-08, 15:29
Hi, I am wondering if some of you might be able to help me with this project.

Oxfam want to enlist the help of knitters everywhere to knit or crochet squares for a giant baby blanket, which will highlight the lack of appropriate healthcare for mothers in Africa and South East Asia.

Every minute, a woman with no midwifery or medical care dies in pregnancy or childbirth.

Millions of mums in poor countries get low-quality health care, or are forced to go without it altogether. High fees, a shortage of hospitals and clinics, and not enough doctors and midwives mean that women struggle to get the care they need and that all too often they don’t survive to look after their babies. In Africa and South East Asia pregnancy and childbirth represent the biggest causes of death amongst women of childbearing age.

Each 9-inch (23cm) square that you can knit or crochet will represent a newborn baby, left needlessly without a mother because of lack of healthcare. These squares will be joined together and handed into the UK government in September. After this, your beautiful squares will not be wasted: the giant blanket will be disassembled into normal sized blankets and auctioned off to raise money for Oxfam’s campaign.

Could you help? Or maybe you have a mum/sister/granny (or dad/brother/grandad, let's not be sexist ;)) who might knit a square or two?

You can hand in your completed squares to Elizabeth's in Thurso.

Also, why not join us at our “Sit and Knit” Coffee Morning? Bring your wool and needles along on:

Wednesday 4th June

10 -12

United Reform Church, Castle Street Thurso

Don't worry if you are a little rusty, help will be on hand !

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

the charlatans
19-May-08, 20:01
I think that this is a good idea considering the natural disasters over in Asia just now.
I couldn't imagine being pregnant and not having a midwife. I'm half way through a blanket for my own bundle of joy so I'm sure a wee 9inch square or two won't go amiss.
Would love to attend the morning but i don't think my toddler would be appreciated, he's at the stage of unravelling whatever ball of wool is at his hand.:roll:

rs 2k
19-May-08, 21:17
Hi Jill

I would love to knit some squares for u,

I am trying to stop smoking so this will help me to

I have always wanted to learn how to crochet but never got round to it

But knitting i can do and i am happy to knit some squares

Just a couple of questions tho

I take it they have to b knitted in plain stitch yeah? (stupid question really [lol])

And can u tell me roughly how many stitches and how many rows to make 9in squares :confused i am no use at measurements [lol]

Lindsay

Jill
19-May-08, 21:27
You can knit them in any stitch you like, Lindsay - it doesn't matter, just as long as they measure 9 inches square when you have finished! I've done some garter stitch and some stocking stitch so far. I would avoid ribbing though as it's too stretchy.

I find that if I knit with 4mm needles and double knitting wool then 45 stitches makes it nine inches. If you knit quite tightly, you might want to add a couple more.

Hope this helps! And thank you for offering to knit some squares - every one helps!

rs 2k
19-May-08, 21:30
I knit quite loose, so i will stick with the 45 stitches i think :lol:

I will get started tonight, should have a few balls of wool here somewhere

Donations gratefully recieved tho people :D

Cheers Jill

Jill
19-May-08, 21:33
Fantastic Lindsay :)

That's a good point - if anyone has any balls of wool to donate, do let me know - if you are in Thurso I will pick them up and pass them out to knitters for the squares. Alternatively if you want to drop them in to the church on Castle Street when we are having our "knit in" then you would be very welcome!

Oddquine
19-May-08, 21:38
If you don't live in the Thurso area, what are the options for delivery?

I can crochet and/or knit, but am not able to deliver in person..........or is this only a Thurso and environs project?

Jill
19-May-08, 21:59
Not at all Oddquine, this is a nationwide project (good job too, the aim is to make a blanket composed of 250,000 squares :eek: imagine how visually impressive that's going to be!!)

If you wish you can send your squares direct to Oxfam:

Sarah Blakemore
Oxfam campaigns
47 Park Square East
Leeds
LS21 2NL

Include your name and address (or better still, email address) and she will send you a thank you for your squares too. Deadline is 1st August.

rs 2k
20-May-08, 12:31
If you don't live in the Thurso area, what are the options for delivery?

I can crochet and/or knit, but am not able to deliver in person..........or is this only a Thurso and environs project?

I have relations in Lybster which i visit at least once a month, so i could collect the squares from u and put them in Elizabeths for u, if we set a date for when u r ready for them to b collected or i will pm u my relations details and u can put them there and let me know and i will go through for them

Let me know

It is no bother

Lindsay

veekay
20-May-08, 16:26
Just started square two, lots of bits of wool about will get them to you some how

Jill
20-May-08, 17:43
:D Brilliant veekay, keep up the good work!!

rs 2k
26-May-08, 14:34
How is everyone getting on now?

I have just started square 8

I try to do a square a night

Jill
26-May-08, 16:34

Blimey I am impressed! Well done you!

I'm only on my fourth :roll:

ExoticQueen
26-May-08, 18:35
will knit some squares for u as well thats a really good cause all the best too the knitters :)

Highland lad
26-May-08, 19:32
My wife is going to help to and knit some squares, she might even persuade her mother to aswell.

twiglet
26-May-08, 21:47
Am knitting my squares and will be at the coffee morning.

highlander
26-May-08, 22:35
I am really enjoying getting back on the knitting needles, just started number 7, can you tell us what is the final date to hand them in?

the charlatans
27-May-08, 11:39
Square 8!!!!!!!! wow, go RS 2K.
I thought i was doing well on my first one......... Mind you, i've fair picked up the knitting bug again.
Had a look at the Oxfam website that Jill has mentioned which then refers to Stitch n Bitch website with lots of help/patterns/instructions.
http://stitchandbitchlondon.wordpress.com/2008/01/26/oxfam-needs-your-help-knitters/
I think i'll be having a wee look in there to see how a mother of twins manages to get a square a night, it'll be under the title of 'Wonderwoman' Wow. :cool:
Right i'm getting off the computer and back on the pins.

Jill
27-May-08, 14:31
Well done folks, lots of knitting going on!!

I am really enjoying getting back on the knitting needles, just started number 7, can you tell us what is the final date to hand them in?

I need to get the squares to Leeds Office by 1st August (got to give them a fighting chance of getting them all sewn together by September!), so I will be sending them away at the end of July. If you get them to me or Elizabeths by 30th July then I will make sure they get included in the parcel.

Look forward to seeing you at the knit in Twiglet (and anyone else who will be there!!)
:D

Jill
27-May-08, 18:44
If you wish you can send your squares direct to Oxfam:

Sarah Blakemore
Oxfam campaigns
47 Park Square East
Leeds
LS21 2NL

Include your name and address (or better still, email address) and she will send you a thank you for your squares too. Deadline is 1st August.

OK I have just had it pointed out to me by a very observant person that the postcode on the above address is incorrect - it's LS1 2NL , not LS21. Thanks Big Jean!

veekay
27-May-08, 19:17

Glad there is someone as mad as me out there I am just starting square 10. I find it very relaxing I can sit and knit or crochet and listen to music or watch television. Stops me nibbling naughty but nice things too!

rs 2k
27-May-08, 21:41
Square 8!!!!!!!! wow, go RS 2K.
I thought i was doing well on my first one......... Mind you, i've fair picked up the knitting bug again.
Had a look at the Oxfam website that Jill has mentioned which then refers to Stitch n Bitch website with lots of help/patterns/instructions.
http://stitchandbitchlondon.wordpress.com/2008/01/26/oxfam-needs-your-help-knitters/
I think i'll be having a wee look in there to see how a mother of twins manages to get a square a night, it'll be under the title of 'Wonderwoman' Wow.
Right i'm getting off the computer and back on the pins.

[lol]what r u on about, i'm not a mother of twins, i am the nana [lol]

Just finished square 10

Get number 11 started tonight

It only takes me about 3 hours to do 1 square, so when emmerdale, corrie and eastenders is on i just sit and knit don't stop til i have finished a square

We r going away this weekend so might not get any done, but i might just take it all with me and c what happens, we r travelling during the night so will b quite tired and it'll b dark [lol] but u never know

Jill
27-May-08, 22:21
Oxfam have now created a knitting page with all the details on about the project and what will happen to the blanket after the event: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/get_involved/campaign/health_and_education/baby_blanket.html

the charlatans
27-May-08, 22:21
[lol]what r u on about, i'm not a mother of twins, i am the nana [lol]

oh thank goodness for that. i was only jealous you know! i aspire to being a mother and knitting a square a night. actually, i just aspire to a square a night, never mind the mothering bit too.

keep clacking those pins.

Big Jean
28-May-08, 00:04
Hi folks,

Earlier today, while reading a site for patterns to knit for this campaign, a correction was made on that site, re the postal code, to send these squares to . After I read it, I sent the information on to Jill, and she corrected the postal code on here.

Now, however, reading the Oxfam site, which Jill has posted, they have the original postal code shown, and as it is their own site, this must be the correct one .
Sooo, it must be ...
LS21 2NL

I apologize for all this, sorry Jill, and hope this last information is the correct one .

Big Jean

Idlewild
28-May-08, 20:49
Hi everyone,

I haven't started yet so best get the needles out now.

Well done on everyones achievements so far.

Karen

Jill
30-May-08, 16:49
OK I have the definitive answer from Oxfam HQ:

Hi Jill, Sorry to have taken a few days to get back to you, I've not been in the
office much this week. I'm really excited about your planned event, please do let me
know how it all goes and if I can help in any way. To answer your question about the
postcode, it is LS1. I'm afraid the wrong version got sent out at some point and it
has spread somewhat!So - it is LS1 - thanks for flagging that up Big Jean - I think they will have to change a lot of stuff now!

Jill
03-Jun-08, 13:10
Just a wee reminder that the Sit and Knit event is tomorrow from 10am - 12 noon at the United Reform Church in Thurso:)

I had an email yesterday asking me about wool - I will be bringing along some of my stash for those who haven't got any, but I don't have any spare needles so please bring your own if you can!

The 99p shop is currently clearing its shelves and sells cheap wool and needles if you want to get some from there. And of course there is Elizabeths (upstairs) for a great selection of reasonably-priced yarn.

Just make sure your yarn is double knitting please!

If you can't join us, don't worry, just keep knitting! Drop your squares in at Elizabeths or send them to the address given out earlier in the thread. You have until 30th July!

Jill
08-Jun-08, 15:09
Many thanks to everyone who came to the Sit and Knit on Wednesday!

Apologies for the lack of follow up on this; I have not had computer access for a few days.

In all we had almost twenty people in attendance, and I came away with lots of squares! I now have 42 squares in my possession and I know there are more for me to collect at Elizabeths.

Well done folks! Please keep up the good work and hopefully we will be able to contribute a goodly number to the final total :)

twiglet
08-Jun-08, 16:17
Was nice to meet you Jill, sorry I couldn't sit and knit but had to be away fairly sharpish. Still knitting tho and will hand the squares in at Elizabeths.

Jill
09-Jun-08, 15:02
Was nice to meet you Jill, sorry I couldn't sit and knit but had to be away fairly sharpish. Still knitting tho and will hand the squares in at Elizabeths.

Thanks Twiglet, was nice to meet you anyway! Will be in Elizabeths to pick up the squares.

Keep knitting folks!