PDA

View Full Version : homebase

sweep
18-May-08, 18:22
does anyone else find homebase to be overly expensive? i paid £8.79 for a tin of woodstain which is selling for £6.00 in tesco.

Mik.M.
18-May-08, 18:33
Homebase is expensive,hopefully we will get a B&Q someday.Lack of competition seems to be the reasoning behind this. You could try the smaller D I Y shops in Wick or Thurso.

Kevin Milkins
18-May-08, 18:41
You have to be on the ball with prices when buying from Homebase. Some of there products seem reasonable ,and then you pop in because you are on a must finnish job on a Sunday and you get shafted.
A product is only expensive when you see it cheaper somwere else. It is certainly is worth shopping around

silverfox57
18-May-08, 19:47
hi was thread on homebase a few mths back,with most of us on here came to share the same thought,that homebase can be pounds more than local diy shops in town

Andrew C
18-May-08, 19:59
I've lived a few places and Homebase is expensive whether it lacks competition or whether B&Q is next door!

the second coming
18-May-08, 20:09
I tend to agree with you Andrew C. Homebase, B&Q etc are pretty overpriced for products. Screwfix, Machine Mart and Northern Tools are good mail order outlets even considering P&P costs. You canny beat Allans of Gillock though for local help, advice, service, price etc and a good bit of tooltime.

The only reason I ever go to the DIY superstores is for 1 offs when I am not buying in bulk and it's not worth driving anywhere else.

The prices in the big B&Q megastores are sometimes worth considering but it's rare that I get the oportunity to get down to the city.

scorrie
18-May-08, 21:15
Homebase are expensive because too many people are too lazy to look around and save a few quid. The Lemmings flock there on a 10% off day, not realising that the goods are at an inflated price to begin with and, even with the 10% off, they are not getting a bargain. I went in looking for plant pots and found that they were 70p each. I got the same thing off eBay for 15p each.

Gizmo
18-May-08, 22:01
Homebase are expensive because too many people are too lazy to look around and save a few quid. The Lemmings flock there on a 10% off day, not realising that the goods are at an inflated price to begin with and, even with the 10% off, they are not getting a bargain. I went in looking for plant pots and found that they were 70p each. I got the same thing off eBay for 15p each.

Same rule applies to Argos, i need some leads to hook a PC to a plasma tv and hi-fi, both leads from Argos would have cost me £23 but after a bit of searching on ebay i got both leads for £5, and that price includes postage, the audio lead that Argos wanted £9.99 for i got for 50p on ebay :)

Snarfer
18-May-08, 22:05
Homebase do a pricematch if you can proove the item is the same and cheaper else where as long as it's not online prices

henry20
18-May-08, 22:16
Homebase do a pricematch if you can proove the item is the same and cheaper else where as long as it's not online prices

Is it not the case that if you find it cheaper in a national store within a certain radius? Therefore, this would not include any local diy stores!

Even if not, its still a rubbish rule as they obviously know they are making adequate profits to make up for the money they need to refund! :roll:

bagpuss
18-May-08, 22:31
It seems that having killed off the competition, Homebase are now in a monopoly. As a result they- and their sister company Argos are possibly going to be the only place to buy certain goods. Shopping around becomes less of a reality.

Keep in mind that we are now in a recession- and the cost of shipping etc will have to reflect rising fuel costs. Time to tighten belts folks.

Whitewater
18-May-08, 23:49
I always find that for paint etc., I can get a better deal from MacAllans on he street. Joinery materials are better quality, and cheaper at the saw mill in Union Street. Plus the fact that you are treated as a quality customer where the staff go out of their way to help you, and can get a particular item for you if it is not in stock. In Homebase unfortunately you are treated as just another sale, and if what you are looking for is not in stock it is just too bad. Of course they have a much bigger selection of materials and goods, all set out nicely to tempt you into buying, but if you work out what you require before you go shopping, and use the local suppliers you will be surprised at what can be provided. Another good way, if you don't require the item immediately, is to use the internet, particularly for electrical and electronic items. John Lewis usually has the best deals on TVs, they may not seem to be the cheapest on a direct sale at first sight, but when you look closely you get a five year warranty at no exrtra cost. Most other dealers charge you £150 to £200 for just one year.

thejudd
18-May-08, 23:52
AHHHHHHHH ebay one of the most usefull shops in the world :lol: I am an ebay addict and don't mind admitting it lol I look arround for things I need and generally find myself heading for ebay

Geo
19-May-08, 11:02
You canny beat Allans of Gillock though for local help, advice, service, price etc and a good bit of tooltime.

I haven't found them particularly cheap for many things. A friend gets Dewalt tools for £100s of pounds less in Inverness. Same product just much cheaper. Similar with hand tools. He bought something recently for just under £30 at Allans. Similar thing online is cheaper including P&P. They are handy though being local.

Geo
19-May-08, 11:06
For many Homebase items it is worth nipping along to Argos to compare prices. Same company but they are often much cheaper.

silverfox57
19-May-08, 19:46
as most trademen will tell you homebase is only good if you need some thing on sat afternoon or sunday, when local shops ar shut,and are willing to pay over the odds .

Rolly
20-May-08, 12:25
it angers me to read that you are not a valued customer and treated well in homebase.. i work there and always go out my way to help people i treat people as i would like to be treated myself.

Kevin Milkins
20-May-08, 12:48
it angers me to read that you are not a valued customer and treated well in homebase.. i work there and always go out my way to help people i treat people as i would like to be treated myself.

Mathew 7 Verse 12.

silverfox57
20-May-08, 13:38
try sawmill in wick as rob and his staff have looked after there loyal customers for at least prices 20years,with prices,that are cheaper than other diy shops,we now no how cheap,if you check prices at homebase against rob,