PDA

View Full Version : HELP me!

weegie
18-May-08, 15:18
with the summer holidays coming fast, i have been at a total loss as what to do with my daughter for 6/7 weeks. we dont have a car and money doesnt strech to far these day so i have had a brain wave and i am looking for ideas and any help
i want to get a huge selection of ativities for kids of all ages, maybe in the last week of summer. getting hall or large out door area and providing a week of any sort of activity a kid could want. but i know i cant do it myself and i feel that its a great idea. this wont be for making money, its simpily so there is something for kids to look forward to.
is there anyone out there who would be interested in helping me, mums, dads, anyone. i know this is a great idea, and could work but not withou help.
let me know what you think or if you want to help.
XXXX

Julia
18-May-08, 16:48
You would need a Disclosure certificate in order to carry this out unless all the parents stayed with their children, not to mention insurance, I don't want to be negative but the red tape involved would probably be too much.

http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk

rfr10
18-May-08, 17:20
Maybe you'd like to support this then..

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=48836

;)

I would also depend where exactly you live. I'm 17 and would help. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to help out with something for the same age range as me but younger yes. I do have an enhanced disclosure certificate (Marked for childcare) however, you need an individual certificate for each thing you are involved in.

YummyMummy
18-May-08, 18:08
You would need a Disclosure certificate in order to carry this out unless all the parents stayed with their children, not to mention insurance, I don't want to be negative but the red tape involved would probably be too much.

http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk

All of the adult volunteers would need to be Disclosure Scotland checked, even if parents stay with their own children.

EDDIE
18-May-08, 18:30
why not just to let the kids occupy themselfs im sure they will find something to do i think its up to the kids to find a hobby for themselves in what they want to do.
But as sugestion to u with ure daughter why not have days out to wick dunnet beach and so on things like that dont cost a lot.

KCI
18-May-08, 20:09
Although it's a good idea, there are so many things to take into consideration, which makes it more difficult.

As Julia has mentioned, everyone involved would have to have Disclosure Scotland checks, which can take a while to organise, and will cost money as well. You would need to make sure you had enough adults to take care of the children, as there are certain guidelines about how many children can be looked after by 1 adult in a childcare situation. You may even need to contact the Care Commission, as they usually have to check any kind of childcare placement - although I'm not sure about that one!

To a certain extent, I agree with Eddie, that children should be able to entertain themselves, and use their own imagination etc. However, the Summer Holidays are longer, and I do think that children need some kind of entertainment as well.

How old is your daughter?

Why don't you book her into one of the Holiday Clubs that are already in place? I'm not sure if you are in Wick or Thurso. In Wick, there is a Holiday Club for the first 3 weeks - you can book your children in for just a half day, or a full day from 9am - 5pm. I think it's run by M.A.S.K. It's a good club - there are different ages of children attending, and they are checked by the Care Commission. The leaders have their Play Certificates, and First Aid certificates, and they promote healthy eating. They have various games and activities, and go on trips in the mini-bus. If you are in Wick, they can pick your child up and drop off, which is handy if you don't have a car. I can't remember the cost, but it's not too much, and worth it, as they have plenty to do.

There is also a Holiday Club run by the Pultneytown Parish Church, during the last week of the holidays. This is not for full days, but mostly half days. They have various games and activities as well, and usually have a trip to the forest or beach, as well as a Party at the end. This is a very cheap Holiday Club, and one of the most popular.

The Family Centre also offer chldcare in the Holidays, which may be worth looking at.

If you are in Thurso, I think there is a Club called the Lighthouse Factory, which is popular.

If none of these sound suitable, are you within walking distance of a beach? I have always found the beach great for kids. If you can go to a beach, pack a bag with spades, football, badminton etc, take a picnic, and the kids will love it.

Or let your daughter invite some friends around, so they can play in your garden. If you do a search on the internet, you can find loads of suggestions on things you can do with the kids. It doesn't have to be anything expensive, and you don't always need a car to get to different places. Try to come up with some arts/crafts things to do if the weather isn't great. If the weather is good, the kids just want to play outside anyway!

Good Luck!

dirdyweeker
18-May-08, 20:43
if it is the outdoors you like there are activities for free arranged by the Caithness Rangers. See enclosed link.

http://www.caithness.org/geography/walksincaithness/

the ones suitable for children/families are marked if you check out the calender of events.

bobandag16
18-May-08, 20:56
:)
with the summer holidays coming fast, i have been at a total loss as what to do with my daughter for 6/7 weeks. we dont have a car and money doesnt strech to far these day so i have had a brain wave and i am looking for ideas and any help
i want to get a huge selection of ativities for kids of all ages, maybe in the last week of summer. getting hall or large out door area and providing a week of any sort of activity a kid could want. but i know i cant do it myself and i feel that its a great idea. this wont be for making money, its simpily so there is something for kids to look forward to.
is there anyone out there who would be interested in helping me, mums, dads, anyone. i know this is a great idea, and could work but not withou help.
let me know what you think or if you want to help.
XXXX
where do your live surely not wick or thurso

weegie
19-May-08, 12:33
ok, firstly this is not an idea to get rid of my child for the summer!!
this is an idea that would benifit loads of children. i have spoken to a few people already and its possible. i already know about disclousures, and enough adults for the children. as for there being lots to do in wick i could name three that my three year old would like to do.
are people not fed up with the lack of activities here??

i think i could get a few people involved fron the North highland collage, and possibly the high school
is there still no interest?

if not then its a real shame the summer will be long no matter how much arts and crafts, beach trips and trips to the park we take.

im quite disapointed to be honest i thought there would be more people up for this. something fun and different for kids.

rfr10
19-May-08, 12:40
are people not fed up with the lack of activities here??

Exactly the point in my thread..

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=48836

Lack of activities? Well that's something I've been trying to change for a long time but it seems there is a lack of support or are people just hiding?

KCI
19-May-08, 13:11
Sorry, I replied to your post with some info, as I thought you said you weren't sure what to do with your daughter in the Summer Holidays. AS with some of the other posters who replied, I thought we were giving you some useful advice?

Regarding activities for children - of course there could be more activities for children around here. Maybe if you could give some more info, you might get more response from people. Where would you be planning to hold these activites e.g. Wick, Thurso etc?

I would offer to help but I will be working during the Holidays, and will have plenty children to look after as well! But if you could give people more info, and an idea of the location, maybe you would get some more interest.

It would be a good idea to contact the local colleges, as they will have students studying for childcare courses, nursery nursing, child psychology etc. They usually spend time in a child based placement such as schools, playgroups, nurseries etc. Some of them may be interested in volunteering, as it would give them some experience and could help with their course work. But you would need to move fast, as Disclosure Checks may take a while - I have Disclosure checks done every couple of years - sometimes they come through really quickly, but they can take a while during busy periods.

tisme
19-May-08, 17:31
Jesus, why can you not use your own imagination and entertain your own kid! The summer holidays will always be 6 or 7 weeks long, and always have been. Why is it deemed necessary to entertain the children with clubs etc. Never heard of crayons and paper, picking shells on the beach, a day at the park, up the river with a picnic, a day baking the lists are endless. [disgust]

weegie
19-May-08, 19:32
sorry i was not very clear in my previous posts
what i have in mind is, maybe two or three days (even one day would be better than nothing) getting people who already provide childrens activitys, dancing, art, jewellery making, sports, d.j, face panting, martial arts, video games. and anyone who has other hobbies that are interesting basically what ever the kids would like to do.
it would be held in wick, possibly in the last week of the hols, we could charge a small sum to go toward renting of hall,and other cost.
my thinking behind this is because i always say 'there should be more for kids' but nothing will happen if some doesnt make a start.
as i said before this is not for any profit would just like to see if it is possible.

get back to me with any suggestions

rfr10
19-May-08, 20:00
As a young child, I used to go on a caravan holiday with my parents for one week of the holidays (staying in Scotland though). Another week would be taken up by the holiday club at PP Church. We'd also go on day trips to maybe Inverness, go to the boating pond there at Bought Park and at other times, I'd just have friends over or go to visit a friend, having a great time outside when the weather is good.

A young child's mind is usually creatively independent and they will usually conjure up unusual things to keep them selves occupied. All six weeks of the summer holidays ( SEVEN WEEKS THIS YEAR, incase you didn't know) do not need to be taken up by some sort of activity.

Just take them out every so often during the holidays. Maybe to the play park, Rosebank playing fields, to the swimming pool. There are plenty of things to occupy a child and often people overestimate the amount of stimulation a child's brain needs at that age. They are only little. Buy a ball, a Frisbee, whatever you want just don't depend on groups the whole time to occupy them.

KCI
19-May-08, 20:16
As a young child, I used to go on a caravan holiday with my parents for one week of the holidays (staying in Scotland though). Another week would be taken up by the holiday club at PP Church. We'd also go on day trips to maybe Inverness, go to the boating pond there at Bought Park and at other times, I'd just have friends over or go to visit a friend, having a great time outside when the weather is good.

A young child's mind is usually creatively independent and they will usually conjure up unusual things to keep them selves occupied. All six weeks of the summer holidays ( SEVEN WEEKS THIS YEAR, incase you didn't know) do not need to be taken up by some sort of activity.

Just take them out every so often during the holidays. Maybe to the play park, Rosebank playing fields, to the swimming pool. There are plenty of things to occupy a child and often people overestimate the amount of stimulation a child's brain needs at that age. They are only little. Buy a ball, a Frisbee, whatever you want just don't depend on groups the whole time to occupy them.

I think you need to remember that 7 weeks is a long time for a child to occupy themselves, whatever age they are.

Play is of the utmost importance to young children as it is the best way for them to learn. It can be boring for children if they are left to play on their own. It's all very well to say that children should entertain themselves, and that people overestimate the amount of stimulation a child's brain needs at that age, but most children will complain that they are bored a few weeks into the holidays.

I don't think people depend on groups all the time, but there is no harm in children attending holiday clubs - it provides them with opportunities for social interaction which can be really beneficial.

Not all parents can take time off work during the school holidays. Not all families have other family members who can look help to look after their children. Some children have no siblings, and may not have any other children to play with nearby. Spending 7 weeks without any other children can be a very lonely and isolating time.