PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain this please?

highlander
18-May-08, 12:37
We were off to Aberdeen a few days ago, i booked the Premier Inn with my daughters credit card, as we dont have one. On arriving we always then pay for the room by cash but they wanted I.D. OK i can understand that bit, i showed them a letter with my name and address, also the email to confirm i received from them to show i booked the room.
They said i needed to give the reg of the car, and a photo I.D, which i did not have, my question is, if i am paying cash, what on earth do they need photo I.D. for? when i asked she said, it was because i booked with my daughters card and anyone who pays by cash has to give I.D. this to me does not make sence.

shin chan
18-May-08, 12:50
I have always paid by cash at the travel Inn and I was told that they have had people pay by cash and when they have gone to the rooms the next morning the rooms have been trashed. When they have gone to get the details from the credit card it has been false. So I suppose they want to identify you with a photo as anybody can come in with a false letter etc.

Kismet
18-May-08, 13:18
Yeah unfortunately we have reached a time where it is not safe to assume anyone is honest and decent.

It's a shame I never remember my mum worrying about missing a parcel when I was younger cos no-one locked their doors and the postman just popped it in the door.

Times have changed, people are not so trusting and some people are not so trustworthy and is not easy to tell who is who, so everyone faces the extra hassle involved.

highlander
18-May-08, 16:34
Thank-you for the replys, why could they not have given this simple explaination.

Torvaig
18-May-08, 17:13
A lot of it is to do with the traiining; possibly the staff have been told what to do but not why......a common trait these days and the fault of the managers.

Missy Wick
18-May-08, 20:36
I stayed in the one in glasgow in march and they told me that because we were paying cash we had to give id to help prevent money laundering and fraud. i also had to give my drivers license number as i didnt have my passport with me. it did seem a bit over the top especially as i wasnt from a foreign country or anything.

Torvaig
18-May-08, 22:43
Ah but fraudsters don't necessary come from foreign countries! You would be amazed at how many people there are out there who do not want to pay for their stay in hotels, guest houses and B & Bs and some of them are even Scottish!

raymac
19-May-08, 14:50
Two years ago the Mr's and I went into a travel inn in Edinburgh, when we payed with cash person at the counter said you must be from the north because hardly anybody uses cash down here, but they still wanted car reg and I.D.

bekisman
19-May-08, 16:52
Bit of clarification ref Premier Inn:
2 PAYMENT: burble.. burble... At Premier Inn you pay for your room on arrival.
Premier Inn accepts payment by cash, cheque (with a valid cheque guarantee card), credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express), Premier Inn Business Account Card (the Premier Inn Business Account was previously called Premier Travel Inn Business Account and these cards will continue to be accepted) and Whitbread Leisure Vouchers (UK Only). Some hotels also accept Diners Club.
Customers paying with cash or Whitbread Leisure Vouchers are required to provide identification on check-in. Acceptable forms of ID are: current driving licence, ID card, passport, utility bill / bank statement (with address) or police warrant card.
www.premierinn.com/pti/home.do (http://www.premierinn.com/pti/home.do)